Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Bruceski posted:

Remember the refugees you promised to take with you before the bad guys could hunt down and slaughter them?

Neither does the game.

This is not entirely true, we'll find out what happens to them in a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Nevermind.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Feb 18, 2017

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

This is not entirely true, we'll find out what happens to them in a bit.
Were they used as fuel by the cannon to destroy the two dozen ships instead of one?

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Get used to it, I'm afraid.

... Spoilers?

Junkozeyne fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Feb 18, 2017

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Don't even try, it seem Cyth is raring to spoil.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Siegkrow posted:

Don't even try, it seem Cyth is raring to spoil.

I didn't realize that counted as a spoiler. Fine, editing.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I didn't consider it one. Bioware forgetting something exists immediately after introducing it is par for the course.

They just wanted a creepy place to let us chat with our Ghost Dad.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

That lightside/darkside choice was a bit clunky though, considering the True Sith move would be to blow off Valkorion's help and declare if Lana can't save herself she's not worth saving. I mean I know they're setting up an ongoing "how much can you trust Valkorion?" dilemma but it seems more suited to a Jedi's morality than a Sith's. It'd actually be interesting if certain choices had the lightside/darkside designation swapped for certain choices based on the reasoning they'd use, but I guess that might undermine how the Force is portrayed as this sort of morally absolute and universal entity.

It's also kind of funny how the whole ghost plot so far is the same as the one in Tales of the Borderlands.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
I guess they wrote that scene mostly with the assumption of a Lana romance, especially since they brought up the options for a romance in shadows of revan & ziost with the sublety of a brick to the face. Bringing on the ~moral dilemma~ with the dark side option of the quick and easy path with the danger of more reliance of ghost dad versus the light side path of potential loss for making the 'moral' decision could be interesting if it would kill or seriously injure Lana depending on choice but as it is there is zero consequence.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Junkozeyne posted:

I guess they wrote that scene mostly with the assumption of a Lana romance, especially since they brought up the options for a romance in shadows of revan & ziost with the sublety of a brick to the face. Bringing on the ~moral dilemma~ with the dark side option of the quick and easy path with the danger of more reliance of ghost dad versus the light side path of potential loss for making the 'moral' decision could be interesting if it would kill or seriously injure Lana depending on choice but as it is there is zero consequence.

Incidentally, Koth here is a romance option.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

We don't actually know who would ever think to romance him tho

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

I have yet to actually watch the videos for this, so whenever Valkorian talks I just think Mengsk and hear a heavy southern drawl in my head.

I imagine it's making this whole thing far more entertaining than it actually is.

Psycho Landlord fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Feb 19, 2017

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Why did you need Valkorian's help to use telekinesis on 3 guys?

Isn't letting him in kind of a terrible idea as he eats souls or something? Is there something I'm missing that makes it heroic?

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Why did you need Valkorian's help to use telekinesis on 3 guys?

Isn't letting him in kind of a terrible idea as he eats souls or something? Is there something I'm missing that makes it heroic?

It is a terrible idea. But Valkorian picks the moment where you might go for it anyway - where Lana is about to take a hit, there's a huge wall of scrap dividing the battlefield so you can't do much about it, backup is a few seconds away (which he probably knows but you don't) so no better occasion is likely to come up in the near future.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

This is TOR. 3 guys is, like, an entire battalion.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

wiegieman posted:

This is TOR. 3 guys is, like, an entire battalion.

A whole battalion using Zildrog's Wedge, nonetheless! (I hope that's a thing and they have more ridiculous formation names.)

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Glazius posted:

A whole battalion using Zildrog's Wedge, nonetheless! (I hope that's a thing and they have more ridiculous formation names.)

For those who hadn't put 2 and 2 together, Zildrogs Wedge = using force telekinesis to quickly place a barricade in the middle of the battlefield.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Those Valkorion moments are neat whenever they happen, but I concur on leaving Lana for her own devices as Sith advocate on survival.

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
Mort is not a Stupid sided Sith. She clearly has strengths outside of her ability to wave a glow stick around.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

On the other hand, the three of them were clowning on like 20 of these dudes for the past few minutes. Another three is not dangerous.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
There're far more than three guys in the cutscene. It's probably closer to 20, even if most of them are skytroopers.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Knights of the Fallen Empire Update 11: Return of Ghost Dad

Click for Video

What’s happened?
The hyperdrive worked--one time. Omnicannon’s fried, too. What a mess….
We’re safely away from the fleet, if nothing else.
Plus, the Gravestone isn’t a shuttle so there isn’t a 100% chance that Koth will crash it.
Should be able to make it to Asylum, but let’s not hold our breath.
We’re slow-boating to a safe haven?

Not that kind of asylum.
You laughed.
I did not.

Asylum is a skyport. A safe haven from Arcann’s patrols.
To point out the obvious: if you know about it, it isn’t.
Was she really necessary?
She helped us raise the Gravestone. She fought at our side.

I thought I was in service to Zakuul. You had abandoned your responsibilities!
It sounds like you’re both on the same side now. Whatever history you have, it’s best to let it go.
You don’t know what she’s capable of. You weren’t there.
I wasn’t here for a lot of things.
Do they know what you’re capable of, Vortena?
Crashing every shuttle we’ve seen him pilot?
If anybody needs me, I’ll be… somewhere.

It’s going to be a long expansion. I miss you, Vette.

You--
Hey. Can you cut the power? Right over there.
Thanks. Wouldn’t want to electrocute myself on top of everything else.
Again.
She’s really something, this ship, but no one’s been taking care of her.
You’ve grown attached rather quickly.
No offense, but it’s the Gravestone that will save the galaxy from Arcann. Not you, not me… definitely not Senya.
What did Senya do to earn this grudge?
She was ruthless. After we deserted, she hunted us for months. Everyone on my crew bled more than once on account of her.
In other words, you hate her because she was actually doing a Knight’s job.
It goes beyond just doing a good job.
I didn’t say she was good at her job, if she was she’d have actually caught you.

I put all my trust in Lana and she goes to Senya for help. She does not know what she’s getting us into.
We’re Sith. We’re used to managing pointless infighting.

Not like you’re thinking. We’ve worked together for years, and she’s saved my life more times than I can count.
So, I do what I can to return the favor. If that means storming into the Spire to pull some Outlander out of carbonite, well… that’s what I’ll do.
I’d be a frozen carcass if you hadn’t.
I have a good feeling, you know. We’ll get Arcann.
I should get back to it. Need to be sure the Gravestone can get us all the way to Asylum.
We really are slow-boating it to a habitable planet. The war’s going to be over by the time we get there--there’s nothing in this system but gas giants.
Hey. I know Lana doesn’t seem to be in the talking mood, but maybe check in on her.

I’m too strong for him to possess unless I allow him to do so, and every time I do it weakens my ability to resist him further. I’m not stupid.

No life is worth risking total corruption.
Counterpoint: you’re the only person on this crew who doesn’t annoy the hell out of me and I have a feeling that’s going to get worse before it gets better.
Valkorion may prove to be of some use, but he’s no less dangerous than when he was alive.
That’s why we need all the help we can get--and Senya will be a great help. I hope you can see that.
So long as she doesn’t run off chasing Ardat-Yakshi I don’t give a poo poo.
You could have let me know we had backup on the way.

We met shortly after I arrived in Wild Space. Senya was hunting Koth, I was hoping to learn your fate….
We exchanged what information we could. This was all before I really knew Koth, of course. Years ago.
Got the betrayal out of your system early this time, at least. A pre-trayal, as it were.
I hate you.

Those two will have to get past their differences.
It won’t be easy….
I suggest locking them in a room together until they figure out an escape or one of them dies.
That won’t--you’re joking.
The situation is far too grave to take seriously.

I should continue my meditation.
Have fun zapping the target dummy.

Agreement: You said it, master.
I have taken the liberty of checking in on your band of refugees.
Assessment: They have quickly taken to their new lodging arrangements. I have warned them not to stray from their chosen location.
And this is the last we’ll ever hear of the refugees.
Analysis: There are many sealed passageways, and I am unable to detect what may be on the other side.
Worth looking into at some point.
Revelation: I discovered an especially strange area, unlike anywhere else on the Gravestone.
I’ve already been. What did you think?
I had attempted to ascertain if any of its contents could be weaponized, but the new meatbag interrupted.
Query: Any orders, master?
As you were, HK.
Approval: I like your orders!

You wrote the ring toss theme from Darkseed 2?
What?

I’d like to hear that. Just a few bars?

You seem nothing at all like the person I met in the swamp.
Being a Knight means everything, but I don’t let it define me.
When it’s time to work, I’m who I need to be. The rest of the time, I’m just myself.
You don’t strike me as all that different.
No, I’m like this pretty much all the time.
I live by a code, but I don’t follow it to the letter. Or the spirit.
I’ve heard your code. Victory from passion. It’s a powerful notion. Very much like how Arcann operates.
I know why I oppose him. What’s your reason?
Years after the death of our Immortal Emperor, most are still so afflicted with remorse that they don’t see what’s happening.
Arcann has become oppressive and cruel. He’ll crush anyone who doesn’t share his plan for the galaxy.
No, I meant: what’s the real reason?
So that’s me. What about you?
Arcann wants to lay waste to everything I’ve fought for and accomplished. I won’t let him.
No, I meant: what’s the real reason?
A passable counter-argument. I won’t let Arcann win.

Neither will I. I may not know much of the worlds you’ve inhabited, but I do know what he’s doing to them.
You’re not what I expected. Not sure if that’s good or bad yet, but I do know I’ll have an easier time with you than Koth.
My sense of humor is fully functional, at least, so I have a leg-up on him there.
I hope you’ll try to get along. The more we work together, the better off we’ll be.

I’ll be careful. And you be careful about standing next to the Painspike Pillar. A blue glow either means ghosts or deadly Cherenkov radiation.
I’ll be careful as well.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Oh boy, two Ghost Dads. This'll be a hoot!

Maybe Vowren will show up and make it a hat trick! Three! Three Ghost Dad's! Just like the end of Return of the Jedi! Only with dancing HK droids instead of Ewoks!

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
There would already be three Ghost Dad's if Mort was an Inquisitor.

Just kidding I'm sure Original Ghost Dad never shows up again.

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

Who doesn't wanna be Johnny Cat?

paragon1 posted:

There would already be three Ghost Dad's if Mort was an Inquisitor.

Just kidding I'm sure Original Ghost Dad never shows up again.

Yep, unless he shows up in the new Expansion content which I haven't played yet (Incredibly doubtful), Lord Kallig doesn't make any return appearances that I'm aware of.

I would totally watch the My Two Ghost Dads sitcom though.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

We're never seeing the original crew ever again are we? :(

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
No spoilers, but I promise the next semi-important person we meet will be someone we already know.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh boy, Pierce? Quinn? Ship-droid?

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

Who doesn't wanna be Johnny Cat?

Synthbuttrange posted:

Yes, but they've fused and are now one super companion. ;)

Seriously though, you'll see!

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Catsworth posted:

Yep, unless he shows up in the new Expansion content which I haven't played yet (Incredibly doubtful), Lord Kallig doesn't make any return appearances that I'm aware of.

I would totally watch the My Two Ghost Dads sitcom though.

If I'm remembering rightly since it's been so long Ghost Kallig moved on once the Inquisitor made Darth since he was sticking around to restore the family name/position and the Inquisitor pulled that off.

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
I recall earlier in the thread Moonslayer saying that, had Abeena be doing the post base game content, She'd be saying 'not this poo poo again' or words to that effect, in relation to the galaxy spanning secret conspiracy cult you're fighting against.

Here, it looks like it be Atronies turn to go 'not this poo poo again' with all these ghosts running around.

Whens Jo's turn with putting together a shaky alliance of alien allies to appose the eternal throne? Or Quinines with Arcann stealing your ship and trash talking you over the radio?

Synthbuttrange posted:

I have a hunch you would have included Broomark in this list but even when thinking of unremarkable companions, you failed to recall him existing.

Cool to see Marr again. I never considered this as a possibility. This could be decent or very terrible.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I half expected somebody had lit a fire in the starship's corridors before I realized we were on some moon somewhere.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Knights of the Fallen Empire Update 12: Business as usu-wait

Click for Video

It’s a gas giant.
Also, everyone is hovering again.

Told you we’d make it.
We haven’t docked yet.
I should probably figure out how to land this thing….
Just don’t crash this ship too.

Asylum might be the only place in Wild Space free of his control.
That shadowport isn’t on any chart. It’s a haven for refugees fleeing from Arcann’s forces.
Are you, the Minister of Sith Intelligence, suggesting that Arcann can’t possibly have snuck a spy aboard a refugee ship?
We’ll be among friends.

A pity I left my snaredrum on the Fury.
Tell your associates we’ve arrived.
They knew that days ago.
You want to explain how?

Figures.
It’s because they’re force sensitive, Koth. What a shocking twist!

Trust is a rare commodity these days.
Demand: Are. We. There. Yet?
Shut the gently caress up, HK.

PTN’s note: The Gravestone is a Volus. You can’t unsee it now.

He still managed to crash the loving ship.
Well. Time to go visit the port authority.

Who’s gawking? I’ll be seeing you in a few chapters.

Outlander…. my crew. The best engine-burners in Wild Space.
You could’ve introduced them sooner.
This was more fun.
You let them pick a fight with me. They were almost the best dead engine-burners in Wild Space.
Get up here, you mangy wooluks!

Some of us aren’t so lucky.
Lot of good people died that day. You didn’t give us enough time to make the escape pods.
I didn’t have many options. It was a hard decision but the right one.
We’ll never know, will we?
Ralo! Get in here!
On my way!

We share on a need-to-know basis. Koth’s crew didn’t need knowing.
They seem…. nice?

I need to make contact with my network--alone. Try to stay out of trouble.
It’s me. That’s not going to happen. I’ll try to have it all handled by the time you get back.
That’s probably the best I can hope for.

Excellent question.
My best engineer hasn’t come back from a supply run to the Free Zone. It’s a dodgy neighborhood, if you catch my drift.
A black market. Rival syndicates disagree over who controls it.
I understood the implications, thank you Samara.
They argue with blasters. I think she’s in trouble, but we’ve got our hands full keeping the Gravestone’s reactor stable.
I know how this loving works. I’ve been doing this for seventy levels now.
Give me a holo of your crewmate and point me to this “Free Zone”. I’ll handle the rest.
Addendum: I will join you, master.
My engineer’s name is Tora. HK has her image in its databanks.
She won’t be hard to find. Tora has a… big personality.
She’s surlier than a hungry rancor, but she’s the best engineer you’ll ever meet. Thanks for the help.

That isn’t a computer, Senya.
Help me find Koth’s engineer and we can go together.
I’ll join you… but not now.
The railroad continues. Chu-chuu! But first, the mailbox. I haven’t checked my space e-mails in five years, so I’m sure--

quote:

Subject: Things I'll never know

It's been almost a year since I last saw you outside of a dream. Every day, I have the same question. How did it end? Were there a hundred bad guys swarming you, like a bunch of killiks trying to take down a krayt dragon? I want to think you went down swinging and took most of them with you.

But other times I wonder if you were just in the wrong place at the wrong time. Some external bulkhead ripped open next to you. Hard Vacuum 1, Empire's Wrath 0. Maybe it was a reactor-core breach, and you never even had time to feel the heat?

They say powerful Sith can come back from the dead and appear to the people they had strong connections to when they were alive. Will I wake up some day and see you? Will you finally tell me what happened? Will I know if you had time to think about me before you died?

:saddowns:

Click for Video

Identification: That snort issued from the brilliant engineer we were sent to rescue, master.
What’s she to you?
She’s the reason I’m here. This doesn’t have to get messy. Let her go and I’ll be on my way.
You eliminated my old rival Oggo. That inclines me toward gratitude, but this girl tried to rob me. That’s bad for business.
Charging fity-thousand credits for a hundred thermal detonators? That’s robbery!

I recognize that insignia on your armor. Republic Special Forces. Havoc Squad.
Haven’t run with that outfit for a long time. I’d paint over the symbol but it still comes in handy even out here.
Oh, good. That’s a big relief.
And I know who you are, too. Everyone said you were dead, but I knew better.

Theory: It will be a challenge to throw anything without your arms.

Koth and the others are waiting at the docks.
You’re why the Captain risked his neck on Zakuul. We are gonna get along great. I’ll grab Mister Ugly Dead Guy’s thermal detonators. Catch you later.
Redirection: We should proceed to the rendezvous with Senya, master.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Feb 28, 2017

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Ah, the Sera of TOR

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Personally, I like Tanno Vik's attitude better than Tora's. Though part of that is realizing what an absurd discount Vik was selling those Detonators for already.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Counterpoint: the game let me kill Tanno Vik, one of the companions who really deserved it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

And yes, the Trooper can also give Vik a dishonorable (blaster) discharge.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
So WWTD (What Would Todessa Do) if she had free reign here.

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
That does not sound a difficult question to answer.

I knew other party members were going to come up... I was not expecting any of them to bite it though. (What happened to T7 now that I think? Hope the little guy made it out ok.)

Assuming thats who I think it is, I had to do a double take to check the guy he appeared with, speaking, wasn't the latest in a long line of 'Lam's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I'm implying things that aren't actually happening. All Devaronians have the same face, which is why he turns up again behind Tanno Vik in a slightly different costume later on.

Also, I named his mugshot NotGault.

I don't feel bad about that :colbert:
I do feel bad for the woman Koth vehicular homicides while crashing docking the Gravestone.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Mar 1, 2017

• Locked thread