Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I really hate Seth MacFarlane, but he at least gets it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

This is worse than that time Kahless gave me a Yridian salmon helmet!

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

There is a rich history of celebrities show-horning themselves into Star Trek, just ask the Ensign Rivers:

And of course the Excelsior communications officer who wakes up Sulu:

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Pacra posted:

Wait why is farscape good again I forget : [

I liked BSG but stopped in the middle because of the constant religious baltar stuff

How far did you get in Farscape?

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Eh. Seth MacFarlane is bad. I want to keep him as far away from Trek as possible.

I'm 30 now. I was like 12 or 13 when Family Guy premiered. I kind of wished I wasn't one of those teenagers who re-enabled him after it was cancelled with those DVD sales.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Obligatory, "Well he did produce Cosmos"

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Powered Descent posted:

Didn't he get that bit because he's a huge Trek nerd and his mom was the casting director on VI?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lowen SoDium posted:

I kind of wish he had helmed the `09 reboots instead of Abraham's, but I have no clue is he is even capable of doing anything remotely serious.

How busy is the old Futurama production crew these days? :v:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I'm watching DS9's Soldiers of the Empire. Worf has just started singing and the rest of the Klingon crew rolling their eyes at this is hilarious.

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.

Lowen SoDium posted:

Seth MacFarlane is one of the few creative types I have heard talk about Star Trek that made me think they actually understood it.

I kind of wish he had helmed the `09 reboots instead of Abraham's, but I have no clue is he is even capable of doing anything remotely serious.

Then again, with all of the shoe-horned nostalgia references that the new movies had, I am not sure it would have made any difference.

Fair play to MacFarlane, he was largely responsible for the recent Cosmos series (along with, weirdly enough, Brannon Braga), so I feel like he might have done well with the Trek Reboot

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

At this point I have far more respect for McFarlane's work than I do the writers of the Simpsons.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

dont even fink about it posted:

At this point I have far more respect for McFarlane's work than I do the writers of the Simpsons.

The Star Trek episode of family guy was better than most of the stuff that came out of voyager!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
American Dad is one of my favourite TV shows. It is far above Family Guy's level of humour, and the superior show by miles.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I am really behind on the other sci-fi series going on right now; is The Expanse that good? The premise sounds really great but part of me is worried it'll end up being another BSG-ish clone that essentially uses space as a gimmick to tell the usual boring stories.

Also, on a Star-Trek-related note, I finally watched all of 'Turnabout Intruder', which was nowhere near as bad as I thought it might be in terms of *watchable television* (Shatner mugging and over-acting for all he's worth is always pretty amusing) but it was also about a dozen times more horrifyingly misogynistic and sexist than I thought it'd be, too. That said the same episode could probably be produced today without much uproar.

But the weird thing is I can't figure out whether Benicia colony has really lovely primitive medical facilities (like Spock says in Turnabout Intruder when woman-possessed-shatner is trying to exile Kirk theree) or if they have "the best possible care" like McCoy says batshit insane Lenore Karidian gets at the end of that episode. it is an INCONSISTENCY, I tell you, and I won't have it.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

The_Doctor posted:

American Dad is one of my favourite TV shows. It is far above Family Guy's level of humour, and the superior show by miles.

From what I understand, MacFarlane isn't super involved with the creative side of American Dad aside from the voice work, and hasn't been since the early seasons.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Pakled posted:

From what I understand, MacFarlane isn't super involved with the creative side of American Dad aside from the voice work, and hasn't been since the early seasons.
Also, there's A Million Ways to Die in the West, which embodies MacFarlane's creative capacity way more than most works associated with his name.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Pacra posted:

Wait why is farscape good again I forget : [

I liked BSG but stopped in the middle because of the constant religious baltar stuff

It's a well-written show with weird, likable characters and a really good main story beginning from mid-season one through the end of the series.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

kaworu posted:

I am really behind on the other sci-fi series going on right now; is The Expanse that good? The premise sounds really great but part of me is worried it'll end up being another BSG-ish clone that essentially uses space as a gimmick to tell the usual boring stories.

I ended up checking the spoilers for the book series The Expanse is based off of for precisely this reason, our fears were unfounded friend

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

kaworu posted:

It's based on good books with good long term consistent plots. You don't have to worry about a writer's strike and them making up the plot as they go along then painting them selves into a corner and shouting "god did it, the end!". It's also not artificial drama and tension turned up to 11 every second, the characters have time to breathe and even crack jokes and the drama makes sense they didn't just decide everyone's a broken insane person because that's gritty. It's also gritty looking because it's realistic and takes design cues from actual space stuff, not because they wanted a 70's aircraft carrier in space with WWII dogfights. Other than "the sets often look cramped and dirty" expanse and BSG have nothing in common.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Echo Chamber posted:

Also, there's A Million Ways to Die in the West, which embodies MacFarlane's creative capacity way more than most works associated with his name.

Does that explain why it's so lovely?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

I'm watching DS9's Soldiers of the Empire. Worf has just started singing and the rest of the Klingon crew rolling their eyes at this is hilarious.

The "conclusion" to that ship and its crew is easily one of my favorite episodes of DS9.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Oh I'm sure I'll get there soon. :allears:

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Number_6 posted:

I want to like The Expanse; it looks expensive and it seems like someone put a lot of effort into it. But I find all the characters (and drat there are so many) boring and the show overall just lacks dramatic sizzle. it doesn't have the zany frantic feel of Farscape, or the heroic monologues of shows like BSG or B5.

The Expanse has fewer regulars than Farscape, BSG, or B5 and no more recurring characters than those shows or most Treks. It's really not that that big a cast, they're just more spread out at first. It's definitely a show from a different generation/mindset of scifi writing than most of the classic space operas though. Very focused on worldbuilding and continuity. You can tell it started out as a book/vidjagame setting because the universe really feels like a big sandbox designed for people to play in and it's all in service of one evolving story line. You'll get your franticness, sizzle, and monologues by the end of the first season, but it's much more of a slow burn and in general the big moments are more subdued and less theatrical than old school space opera. I find it refreshing, but have had a hard time getting other people into it.

Maybe you just like episodic scifi better?

kaworu posted:

The Expanse is good and arguably closer to "hard" scifi than pretty much anything else to ever be on TV. It's set exclusively in the solar system with no FTL, no magical artificial gravity, and no forehead aliens. They sort of handwave their fancy fusion drives and there's just a little bit of ~space magic~ in the mix, but it's still far more realistic and scientific than even the more grounded parts of BSG or what have you. Some of the elements are traditional noire/cyberpunk genre fare with crooked cops and scheming politicians and unethical corporations and stuff, but it all fits into and serves the setting and space travel and its constraints and possibilities are at the core of the story.

quote:

Also, on a Star-Trek-related note, I finally watched all of 'Turnabout Intruder', which was nowhere near as bad as I thought it might be in terms of *watchable television* (Shatner mugging and over-acting for all he's worth is always pretty amusing) but it was also about a dozen times more horrifyingly misogynistic and sexist than I thought it'd be, too. That said the same episode could probably be produced today without much uproar.

But the weird thing is I can't figure out whether Benicia colony has really lovely primitive medical facilities (like Spock says in Turnabout Intruder when woman-possessed-shatner is trying to exile Kirk theree) or if they have "the best possible care" like McCoy says batshit insane Lenore Karidian gets at the end of that episode. it is an INCONSISTENCY, I tell you, and I won't have it.

Lol, just lol if you actually pay attention to the names of planets/colonies/starbases in TOS or expect them to have consistent features. I just mentally categorize them into [setting/plot device/handwave] and move on. Also agreed re: Turnabout Intruder's weird watchability. The premise is sexist trash, but the actors are hilarious to watch and I've always been impressed by the way the female guest star just nails Shatner's mannerisms.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Duckbag posted:

The Expanse is good and arguably closer to "hard" scifi than pretty much anything else to ever be on TV. It's set exclusively in the solar system with no FTL, no magical artificial gravity, and no forehead aliens. They sort of handwave their fancy fusion drives and there's just a little bit of ~space magic~ in the mix, but it's still far more realistic and scientific than even the more grounded parts of BSG or what have you. Some of the elements are traditional noire/cyberpunk genre fare with crooked cops and scheming politicians and unethical corporations and stuff, but it all fits into and serves the setting and space travel and its constraints and possibilities are at the core of the story.

Also The Martian is canon.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Are there any mirror universe Voyager episodes?

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
Nah, but Living Witness is close enough.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Re TOS's third season. I think that these episodes are the main reason TOS gets its reputation for being cheesy and formulaic. They didn't have much budget and there was obvious creative exhaustion, so most of the season is reused sets, planets of hats, space magic, and nubile space babes. It's really a shameful step back from the creative peaks of the first two seasons. I watched it straight through last year and it was just exasperating to see the same elements over and over with lots of weird lighting and camera angles and hammy acting thrown in as a weak attempt to disguise its saminess.

That said, it's not all bad. Enterprise Incident, Tholian Web, and Spectre of the Gun are all legit great episodes. Day of the Dove, Plato's Stepchildren, Let This Be Your Last Battlefield, and Mark of Gideon are classic Trek morality plays that still have a lot of resonance today, even if they have some flaws. Spock's Brain, The Paradise Syndrome, Is there in Truth No Beauty, For the World is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky (great title), The Way to Eden, The Savage Curtain, and Turnabout Intruder are all bad episodes, but they're so loving crazy and weird that they're worth a watch anyway. Some people like Elaan of Troyius, but it depends on a high tolerance for Taming of the Shrew IN SPACE. All Our Yesterdays is mediocre, but it has my personal favorite space babe in the whole series. The girl in The Cloud Minders is also gorgeous, but it's still mostly crap.

Least watchable episodes IMO are And the Children Shall Lead, That Which Survives, Lights of Zetar, Wink of an Eye, The Empath (lowest budget episode, hooray!), Requiem for Methuseleh, and Whom Gods Destroy (where GARTH OF IZAR comes from). Unless you're a completionist, just skip them.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Obligatory, "Well he did produce Cosmos"

A very dumbed-down and unimaginative Cosmos, sure. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad a major network in 2014 aired an educational science program in prime time. But people still fondly remember and rewatch the original while the 2014 Cosmos has been all but forgotten. It never lived up to its potential.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Duckbag posted:

The Expanse has fewer regulars than Farscape, BSG, or B5 and no more recurring characters than those shows or most Treks. It's really not that that big a cast, they're just more spread out at first. It's definitely a show from a different generation/mindset of scifi writing than most of the classic space operas though. Very focused on worldbuilding and continuity. You can tell it started out as a book/vidjagame setting because the universe really feels like a big sandbox designed for people to play in and it's all in service of one evolving story line. You'll get your franticness, sizzle, and monologues by the end of the first season, but it's much more of a slow burn and in general the big moments are more subdued and less theatrical than old school space opera. I find it refreshing, but have had a hard time getting other people into it.

Maybe you just like episodic scifi better?

Weren't the books based on a long-running RPG campaign the authors had played in?

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Weren't the books based on a long-running RPG campaign the authors had played in?
Yeah, iirc, it was orignally going to be an RPG/video game setting, which is why Earth, Mars, and The Belt feel suspiciously like MMO factions and the main characters are basically an adventuring party.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

A very dumbed-down and unimaginative Cosmos, sure. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad a major network in 2014 aired an educational science program in prime time. But people still fondly remember and rewatch the original while the 2014 Cosmos has been all but forgotten. It never lived up to its potential.

I'm still pissed that they did the thing where they cut from celestial bodies orbiting each other to electrons orbiting nuclei because that plays into hack new age stoner "woah everything is like cosmic viberations, man" synchornicity/music of the spheres bullshit. Electrons don't really "orbit" as such, and the effect has nothing to do with gravity. Equating the two is just bad science. That kind of sloppy style over substance approach can be seen throughout the series and I think really holds it back.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Powered Descent posted:

Let's not forget the officer in Star Trek IV who realized that the Whale Probe did, in fact, have The Beat:

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Cosmos v2 had the guy blow up his eyes and "we'll pay you in fish books" so it was way more awesome than Sagan and his turtlenecks.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Sash! posted:

Cosmos v2 had the guy blow up his eyes and "we'll pay you in fish books" so it was way more awesome than Sagan and his turtlenecks.

Yes, but Fox DMCA'd every funny "MY EYES" video that came out.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

The new Cosmos had a weird kind of "Internet atheist" vibe to it which I didn't really like.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Timby posted:

Didn't he get that bit because he's a huge Trek nerd and his mom was the casting director on VI?

Possibly but Christian Slater was a pretty big deal in 1991. After Gleaming the Cube and Pump Up the Volume he was a bona fide stare.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Pwnstar posted:

The new Cosmos had a weird kind of "Internet atheist" vibe to it which I didn't really like.

Science itself seems to have an atheist vibe to it.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Cojawfee posted:

Science itself seems to have an atheist vibe to it.

I haven't seen the new Cosmos but "internet atheist" is very different from just plain old "atheist."

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Duckbag posted:

I'm still pissed that they did the thing where they cut from celestial bodies orbiting each other to electrons orbiting nuclei because that plays into hack new age stoner "woah everything is like cosmic viberations, man" synchornicity/music of the spheres bullshit. Electrons don't really "orbit" as such, and the effect has nothing to do with gravity. Equating the two is just bad science. That kind of sloppy style over substance approach can be seen throughout the series and I think really holds it back.
Hey man, one moon circles.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Pakled posted:

I haven't seen the new Cosmos but "internet atheist" is very different from just plain old "atheist."

I don't particularly remember everything about the new cosmos to know what he means by internet atheist vibes, but it seems pretty normal to me. It just goes a step farther than the first cosmos did, and it was pretty atheist for the time it was made.

Duckbag posted:

Are you mad about the title sequence? They explain what electrons are in the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bates
Jun 15, 2006
It's a vague term I guess but to me internet atheist is something like angry and condescending about religious beliefs. I don't remember much of anything it had to say about any religion.