Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SteelNeuron
Feb 23, 2017

Unimpressed posted:

Jesus god holy absolute gently caress. Wu Jian Council god is so amazingly fun. Playing a GrGl right now and I've never cleared Lair faster, not even with MiBe. Instead of running back to a narrow corridor when things get hairy, you just skip by the enemies, bouncing against walls, slowing them, charging others, it just makes melee so much fun. Can't thank you enough, whoever created it, you're a gameplay genius!

Thanks! I made it, and this is a testament to DCSS being a healthy and open project. I've never developed for DCSS before, I'm just a player who wanted to play a god like this, I got it coded, and the devs have helped a lot through the process of getting it intro trunk. Now hopefully into the main game!

If you guys have your ideas of what you would like in the game and know C++, I would encourage you to make a prototype. Even if it doesn't make it into the main game, it's an amazing experience and you learn a lot from the feedback.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

SteelNeuron posted:

Thanks! I made it, and this is a testament to DCSS being a healthy and open project. I've never developed for DCSS before, I'm just a player who wanted to play a god like this, I got it coded, and the devs have helped a lot through the process of getting it intro trunk. Now hopefully into the main game!

If you guys have your ideas of what you would like in the game and know C++, I would encourage you to make a prototype. Even if it doesn't make it into the main game, it's an amazing experience and you learn a lot from the feedback.

Thanks for making it, it's really fun. I think the key here is the gameplay genius, not the programming. You've managed to come up with a paradigm that makes playing melee entirely different to how it's done everywhere else in the game. It doesn't matter what race, weapon, background or god you have (WJC) excluded, basic melee strategy was always more or less the same. Even an Axe MiBe is better off isolating enemies and fighting them one at a time. WJC changes this entirely.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Speleothing posted:

I think this is wrong. Buffs need to be accessible. If good players want a challenge, then they can play harder combos or ignore options.

Why would you assume that moving effects from one place to another would make the game harder? If anything, an amulet of rMsl is easier to understand and use than a spell of rMsl.

Also "please leave this dumb thing in, because if you don't like it you can just avoid it" is the silliest argument ever.

megane fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Feb 24, 2017

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Speleothing posted:

I think this is wrong. Buffs need to be accessible. If good players want a challenge, then they can play harder combos or ignore options.

The rMsl change was not about challenge or increasing/decreasing difficulty.

Consumables are accessible, except for potions and Mummies.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
Thank you SteelNeuron for your addition to the game! Haven't played it yet but it sounds like a very fun god, and fun is paramount.

I think the Simple/Intermediate/Advanced groupings for race selection is a very good change. New players should always be considered when changing the game. But why are Barachians "advanced"? They're easier than humans.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

jerkstoresup posted:

I think the Simple/Intermediate/Advanced groupings for race selection is a very good change. New players should always be considered when changing the game. But why are Barachians "advanced"? They're easier than humans.

This change will generate an essentially infinite argument about which species should be in what categories, so we went with a broad strokes approach here, to get it Mostly Right.

Barachians are Advanced because slow movement is very bad and likely to get a new player killed without really understanding what's going on. Activated abilities, especially when it's such a core part of their kit, are also tough to pick up and learn how to use consistently (and at what times to use them, because Hop has a cooldown).

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Combo move: Combine amulets of reflection and inaccuracy and also add rMsl to them. Give the amulet of air fixedart permanent flight or w/e. Now you have another form of rMsl that cats and tentacles can use and you're one step closer to finally removing curses.

megane posted:

Why would you assume that moving effects from one place to another would make the game harder? If anything, an amulet of rMsl is easier to understand and use than a spell of rMsl.
This is really stupid. Things that reduce character strength make the game harder, things that reduce potential player confusion (especially at such an absolutely microscopic degree like replacing a spell with equipment) do not make the game easier.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

How does moving a thing from one place to another "reduce character strength"

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
well, scarves of repel missiles are considerably rarer than books with Repel Missiles in them. (two backgrounds started with 'em!)

i think it's fair to say that it was a reduction in character strength, though not necessarily a significant one.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

It also means giving up an equipment slot worth up to 4AC and a brand for MR/rPois/Invis, as well as anything an artifact can give you.

It's really, trivially easy to see how it is a reduction of character strength. How impactful that reduction will be is less obvious, but the nerf itself is clear.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Darox posted:

It also means giving up an equipment slot worth up to 4AC and a brand for MR/rPois/Invis, as well as anything an artifact can give you.

It's really, trivially easy to see how it is a reduction of character strength. How impactful that reduction will be is less obvious, but the nerf itself is clear.

It also removes it entirely from a few species which is a clear nerf.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
There's also less inventory slots than spell slots.

And even fewer equipment slots.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Zore posted:

It also removes it entirely from a few species which is a clear nerf.
Let felids wear scarves at the cost of *Rage.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
scarves should just be cloaks. just have rmsl be a cloak brand. There's absolutely no need to have a new type of item which fills the same slot, hats were already dumb.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

IronicDongz posted:

scarves should just be cloaks. just have rmsl be a cloak brand. There's absolutely no need to have a new type of item which fills the same slot, hats were already dumb.

Pretty much this.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Petition to have monk background do more with Gozag than let you save 20 gold pieces.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Haifisch posted:

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

IronicDongz posted:

Scarves and hats are cool though. Scarves should get the hat treatment and be wearable by certain species that can't wear cloaks.

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders
The scarf tile designs are cute :3:

edit: oh my god cats are meant to wear scarves

apple fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Feb 25, 2017

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Haifisch posted:

timn
Mar 16, 2010

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Next time do orc and then finish dungeon before going into lair branches. Orc and late D are both much easier than snake and are a good source of gear and experience.

For skills, You'll absolutely want more dodging down the line. Dodging is great for Chei characters because of your high dex. More armor would be good, but I wouldn't place it at a very high priority until you upgrade to a heavier type of armor. I would train fighting more once you've cleared lair branches, but that depends on how deep you want to go into casting. You should consider going to 20 maces and flails for a great mace. That dire flail is really good, but a great mace will do more damage, especially with chei strength.

Don't get statue form. It's of very dubious value for you since you're not an unarmed character. You don't need the defenses, it will make repositioning even harder and it will make ranged attacks suck. But, going hard into earth magic for iron shot and shatter is not a bad idea at all. You'll really want a ranged attack no matter what.

Thanks for the advice. I did just find a +3 great mace of draining in Orc. At what point does the extra base damage outweigh the higher enhancement bonus on my dire flail? Should I switch the the mace now and start dumping any enchant weapon scrolls I find into it? (I have 2 right now)

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
That's honestly hard to say, but the upside is both weapons are fantastic. You might as well dump the EW into the great mace right now, keep training M&F, and once you are at 17-20 consider switching. I don't know at what point the great mace will actually become better without doing fsim but it's kind of academic at this point.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
What should I do with an abundance of Acquirement scrolls? I keep trying for jewelry but idk what I should be going for.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
If I remember my wiki reading correctly, and being the wiki it's probably inaccurate, every plus from a weapon enhancement and or slaying gives +1 to accuracy, but for damage, increases the size of the additional damage die (I think it's 1dX - 1)

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Crimson Harvest posted:

What should I do with an abundance of Acquirement scrolls? I keep trying for jewelry but idk what I should be going for.
The old advice used to be "always acquire evocables," but with yellow wands out, honestly I'd look between weapon, armor, and jewelry depending on what you need. Maybe books if you're looking for spells and aren't picky about what you get.

e: Also, always acquire a staff first on a caster.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Crimson Harvest posted:

My personal decision making for acquirement:

If there's something you want to buy in a shop -> acquire gold. If not and you're a pure caster -> acquire a staff. If you rely on a weapon to kill things and you haven't found the top tier of your weapon choice -> acquire weapon. If you don't have all your aux armor slots filled or you have vanilla gloves, or whatever -> acquire armor. If all your armor is pretty good -> acquire jewellery.

PleasingFungus posted:

On the other hand: medium and heavy-armour characters exist, find charms useful, and require investment to cast them. Also, I think you're underestimating Deflect Missiles; it's really strong!

What charms are heavy armor characters using that require an investment past a cheap 7-8 skill levels? And for spectral weapon and regeneration, the highest level charms a standard heavy armor character will want to cast, hexes and necromancy are much more useful skills than charms anyway. I don't think that making it harder for heavy armor characters to cast some good utility spells is enough justification for the school to exist, since the charms requirement could easily just be replaced with another school.

For the school to have a sense of cohesion and purpose, it has to have thematic and powerful spells at a mid to high level that justify deep investment. Right now, that's deflect missiles, ring of flames and death's door. Even if we take deflect missiles ,which I'll touch on shortly, as worth considering for most characters that would cast level 6 spells, ring of flames is highly situational and death's door is mostly something you pick up for extended. I don't think one or two attractive dual school spells make the skill anything close to robust. Compare charms to hexes, a school that has similar utility at low levels, but gives silence, mana vipers, invisibility and darkness at mid - high levels. And even then there's the case to be made that hexes is lacking in robustness and needs another good reason for deep investment. Charms is simply pathetic in comparison. It desperately needs some highly power dependent spells that come around level 5-6.

As for deflect missiles, I know it's very good: I used to religiously learn it when I was a new player, then mostly never learned it at all because decent power rmsl was enough. I've picked it up a couple times recently, but only on characters that already had deep investment in air magic that meant I had to spend less in charms. I do think that removing rmsl is actually a buff to the charms skill itself, since now there's reason to invest deeper for dmsl. But I'm going to withhold judgement on whether dmsl will be worth the investment on most characters.

edit: I forgot about excruciating wounds as a solid mid level charm. Then of course there's battlesphere. Both spells are good, but are much more heavily aligned with their other school and the charms requirement serves mainly to make the spells more expensive for necromancers and conjurers. I think it's likely that the vast majority of characters that cast either spell will never want to invest more than 7-8 levels in charms as the bare minimum to get them castable.

Heithinn Grasida fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Feb 25, 2017

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Did the removal of cmut break this shop? That's literally the only potion it spawned with. I know it didn't always carry cmut, but it's always had more than one potion before.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
it did not always have more than one potion, I think most times I'd seen it with just one potion of cmut

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

probably something that needs to be taken out in any case, if cure mut potions are no longer a thing

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
I have to disagree re: acquiring gold, it's always spawned a really sad amount of gold worth less than any given item you otherwise would have acquired.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

I have to disagree re: acquiring gold, it's always spawned a really sad amount of gold worth less than any given item you otherwise would have acquired.

I mean acquiring gold usually gives a fairly large amount. If that means getting to purchase an item you really want sooner, particularly if it would be immediately useful, then gold acquirement is a good idea. Plus any amount of gold is still worth more than a +0 buckler.

The reason gold acquirement is usually not used is because you'll have a surplus of gold in almost every single game by the time you reach Zot. Unless you follow Gozag, there are barely ever enough shops with items you want to spend all the gold you get. So gold acquirement is really just giving you immediate use of an item you would get anyways vs. gambling on something potentially useful while delaying that item.

EDIT: Also you could use acquirement as an emergency gold supply in case a bazaar spawns but that would require not immedeatly reading an acquirement scroll. I have zero self control so I always pop them ASAP because OH BOY OH BOY WHAT COULD IT BE *-1 cloak*

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Crimson Harvest posted:

balways baquire barmour.

(unless you have an obvious deficiency of there's something you want in a store)

This used to be bad advice but without yellow wands it is probably good advice

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

EDIT: Also you could use acquirement as an emergency gold supply in case a bazaar spawns but that would require not immedeatly reading an acquirement scroll. I have zero self control so I always pop them ASAP because OH BOY OH BOY WHAT COULD IT BE *-1 cloak*

I've actually saved acquirement as emergency food because ?acquire is the only permafood vampires have.

Doing the hells as an Okawaru vampire was awful.

StevieWonder
Dec 27, 2012
Probably the best option is always acquiring gold, even though I don't always follow this advice myself. Buying out the shops just seems so good on average.

Of course, there's always the chance you'll get extremely lucky acquiring other things, but it's more of a gamble.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Shops do not always contain things worth buying, and if your main weapon is not good yet usually it is best to acquire weapon.

dpeg
Jul 18, 2008
As far as I see it, you should never go to SA to look out for useful feedback or even interesting ideas; I certainly don't

Kaedric posted:

Petition to have monk background do more with Gozag than let you save 20 gold pieces.
Unless something has changed recently, Monks get to waive the Gozag service fee. Which usually is more than 20$.

(Just tested: still works.)

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

TBH I kinda got the impression Charms was being slowly neutered so it could be eventually removed.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Fitzy Fitz posted:

TBH I kinda got the impression Charms was being slowly neutered so it could be eventually removed.

This is what has been happening, but is not necessarily actually the goal. I got rid of Repel Missiles and we've been quashing a number of very problematic spells over the last few versions, that's true, but there's no plans to actually get rid of the school wholesale. We just need better spells that are situational and don't incentivize the player to have them always on (at least without significant investment like Deflect Missiles).

Swiftness, Song of Slaying, Spectral Weapon, and Death's Door are all excellent spells.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
tbh I feel like ozo's and cigotuvi should be combined, but then again I also feel like Regeneration the spell should be changed to be powered by enemy corpses like Powered by Death

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I recently had a 50 AC gargoyle run ended by water elementals, of all things, in Shoals. Do their attacks ignore AC?

• Locked thread