Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Wouldn't prices in MMA be higher in general due to the set not being printed to meet demand?

I didn't think MM2 was either. MM2 just didn't have any good, modern playable uncommons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Who is playing at SCG indy?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sickening posted:

Who is playing at SCG indy?

This Death's Shadow deck is so good and so fun to play that I was temped to drive out but couldn't rope in anyone else.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
So my Esper tempo/control deck was fun, but the better I made it the more it became the Esper version of Jeskai control, so I brewed up Abzan Walkers/Midrange.
Originally I was going to be more B/W with a splash of green, but the white ended up being more of the splash.

I'm worried about Torrential Gearhulk decks, so if any one has suggestions other than play blue let me know.

An other way of taking this deck would be -2 Flaying Tendrils -3 Painful truths -3 Trasverse the Ulvenwald / +4 Glint-sleeve Siphoner +4 Attune with Aether

Win Cons = 15
4- Sylvan Advocate
3- Tireless Tracker
2- Gideon
2- Lili
1- Gonti
1- Sorin
1- Ob
1- Nissa, Vital Force

Instant/ Sorceries = 19
4- Fatal Push
4- Grasp of Darkness
2- Anguished Unmaking
2- Ruinous Path
2- Flaying Tendrils (I would appreciate opinions on this; it seems great against Mardu, and kind of bad against B/G)
2- Fumigate
3- Painful Truths (I'm thinking about cutting 1 of these down so I don't bolt my face 5 times. I would probably replace with a Kalitas, but part of me says Ajani)
3- Transverse the Ulvenwald

Lands = 23
4 - Forest
3 Swamp
2 - Plains
2 - Evolving Wilds
3- Shambling Vent
3- Hissing Quagmire
4 - Blooming Marsh
2- Concealed Courtyard

Sideboard
4- Transgress the mind
2- Pick the brain
2- Yaheeni's Expertise
2- Kalitas
1- Appetite for Unnatural
1- Natural State
1- Kambal

Edit: So far I have played two games online. One was against the B/G aggro with snake, catacomb sifter, and sylvan advocates. Game one I got my poo poo pushed in, but games two and three I was able to outdraw him by 1-2 cards a turn.
The other game was against U/R Fevered-Emerge, which was almost close when he chained deep-fiends on me, but I was able to go wide.
Have not played against heavy control yet.

DangerDongs fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Feb 24, 2017

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
My Friday Night Magic group is setting up a Pauper Modern tournament. I was thinking of setting up an Aggro/Control deck for this, but I've never actually made a deck proper before, because I am super new and only have done drafting. Does anyone have any ideas or websites? I really just need to find a list, because the store it's at has a poo poo ton of singles for cheap.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Hiro Protagonist posted:

My Friday Night Magic group is setting up a Pauper Modern tournament. I was thinking of setting up an Aggro/Control deck for this, but I've never actually made a deck proper before, because I am super new and only have done drafting. Does anyone have any ideas or websites? I really just need to find a list, because the store it's at has a poo poo ton of singles for cheap.

The correct deck to play is mono-blue Delver or mono-green Stompy.

If you want a list for control, you can find lists here. There's a good UB control list on the most recent page.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Pauper Modern, meaning only Modern legal commons? That's not going to be easy to find deck lists for.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
Today I learned being a Cabal grave robber is apparently a difficult job.

I love finding these hidden little bits in old cards. Anyone know of any others, like how Rem Karolus is insanely good at killing things on Innistrad?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Modern legal as in printed in paper at common? Are they using the online ban list for Pauper?

If no ban list then you play affinity or blue delver.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Losing Brainstorm and Daze seems like a big deal for Delver.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Aren't Ponder and Preordain just better than Brainstorm without fetches anyway?

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Veyrall posted:

Today I learned being a Cabal grave robber is apparently a difficult job.

I love finding these hidden little bits in old cards. Anyone know of any others, like how Rem Karolus is insanely good at killing things on Innistrad?

e: Looks like magiccards.info doesn't support hotlinking any longer - that used to be something they were OK with.

Bruse Tarl is angry:

http://magiccards.info/scans/en/bfz/40.jpg
http://magiccards.info/scans/en/cns/76.jpg

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

suicidesteve posted:

The correct deck to play is mono-blue Delver or mono-green Stompy.

If you want a list for control, you can find lists here. There's a good UB control list on the most recent page.

Mono Black Control and Acid Trip are my pauper jams and they are the best.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Elyv posted:

Losing Brainstorm and Daze seems like a big deal for Delver.

Delver doesn't play Brainstorm in pauper and Daze isn't really a big deal.

Mezzanon posted:

Mono Black Control and Acid Trip are my pauper jams and they are the best.

They're both really bad. Like, mono-black doesn't actually have a good match up and Acid Trip beats... Tron if it doesn't have counters maybe?

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Feb 24, 2017

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Counterspell is a big loss though. Or does eternal masters printing count? Or just modern legal commons?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

C-Euro posted:

Yup.

>= $5 Uncommons in MMA (per this site): Finks, Path, Spell Snare, Helix, Manamorphose
>= $5 Uncommons in MM15: Eldrazi Temple

It's not the #1 metric for measuring a set's worth but it's nice to see. I wonder if Wizards looked at the EV of MMA and purposefully designed MM15 to be lower in that regard.

????????

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Fake newspricing!

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Sigma-X posted:

e: Looks like magiccards.info doesn't support hotlinking any longer - that used to be something they were OK with.

Bruse Tarl is angry:

http://magiccards.info/scans/en/bfz/40.jpg
http://magiccards.info/scans/en/cns/76.jpg

magiccards.info doesn't support https

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Cactrot posted:

Pauper Modern, meaning only Modern legal commons? That's not going to be easy to find deck lists for.

Izzet Blitz. Nivix Cyclops and Kiln Fiend, Assault Strobe, Dispel, Bolt. Dumb fun stuff.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

suicidesteve posted:

Delver doesn't play Brainstorm in pauper and Daze isn't really a big deal.

They're both really bad. Like, mono-black doesn't actually have a good match up and Acid Trip beats... Tron if it doesn't have counters maybe?

Are you high? who plays pauper to be the very best? Last time my store had a pauper tournament I ran wild on other decks with Acid trip, it was incredible. Beat U/B teachings, tron, affinity, slivers, and izzet blitz. bounce ya permanents, gian life, make opponent sac things, momentary blink your mulldrifters woooo.

I just finished putting Mono black control together, and I honestly don't care if it's bad or not, I bought these oubliettes and I am going to loving jam them on literally everybody because I have pauper swag. *air horn sound*

I mean I also have pauper elves, goblins, and izzet blitz made, but it's pauper. Play the decks that sound dumb and fun because they're valid archetypes.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
I'm not gonna spend $23 on a deck if it's not going to win all the time.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Maybe I should look at building some pauper decks.

Are there any that are particularly well balanced for multiplayer?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

TheKingofSprings posted:

Maybe I should look at building some pauper decks.

Are there any that are particularly well balanced for multiplayer?

If people are making GBS threads on MBC alot of their effects are each opponent (Crypt Rats, Liliana's Specter, Gary.)

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Speaking of playing dumb decks in Pauper I just discovered that there is a UG Turbofog deck and now I have to build it :negative:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

C-Euro posted:

Speaking of playing dumb decks in Pauper I just discovered that there is a UG Turbofog deck and now I have to build it :negative:

Why the singleton Tree of Tales and why no copies of Thornwood Falls?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Some Numbers posted:

Why the singleton Tree of Tales and why no copies of Thornwood Falls?

Every land but Evolving Wild's search enters untapped, and I guess as a target for your own Quiet Disrepairs?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Amonkhet spoilers begin in April, but is there a PAX or other con before that where some individual cards might be revealed?

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

a target for your own Quiet Disrepairs?

this is the reason

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

this is the reason

Seems awfully narrow for a one-off but the deck also runs nourish in the board so gaining life is a thing it has to do, apparently.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
You can also put Disrepair on your Erasures!!

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Seems awfully narrow for a one-off but the deck also runs nourish in the board so gaining life is a thing it has to do, apparently.

It also taps for green mana so it's not that narrow.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
You discard artifact lands to Wrench Mind, or more likely you get blown out by someone siding in Gorilla Shaman. It is a bad plan.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Hellsau posted:

You discard artifact lands to Wrench Mind, or more likely you get blown out by someone siding in Gorilla Shaman. It is a bad plan.

Who is going to board Gorilla Shaman for one land?

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Anyone else going to GP Orlando?

Not registered yet, I'm not sure what I want to do. They changed the Friday events to all 4-round challenges that also double as GPTs that award byes. I might just do a 1-day infinite challenge Friday, then if I win byes do the main event. If I don't win, do infinite challenge for the other two days as well. Comes out to $20 more, but offers more flexibility. Wish they'd left the Friday events as fire-on-demand pods :(

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

There's a lot of lightning bolt decks in pauper, and turbo-fog is a deck that's often stabilizing at a very low life total. Plus burn is a thing, it's a small part of the metagame but sideboard hate is really weak and burn attacks you at an angle that decks aren't used to interacting on.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Who is going to board Gorilla Shaman for one land?

Decks will sometimes run playsets of artifact lands for some marginal upside, I could see a player seeing an artifact land g1 and overreacting to try and punish it. You're right that they shouldn't do it though, I run 3 artifact lands to fetch with trinket mage in my b/u deck and love seeing aggro decks bringing in hate cards game 2.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

little munchkin posted:

Decks will sometimes run playsets of artifact lands for some marginal upside, I could see a player seeing an artifact land g1 and overreacting to try and punish it.

Fooling your opponent like this seems like an upside, not a drawback.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Jabor posted:

Fooling your opponent like this seems like an upside, not a drawback.

I guess. Your mental energy is better spent elsewhere though, instead of looking for ways to "get" dumb people that you'll probably beat anyways

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

little munchkin posted:

I guess. Your mental energy is better spent elsewhere though, instead of looking for ways to "get" dumb people that you'll probably beat anyways

The upside you're playing it for is that you have an extra target for Quiet Disrepair, which is a definite mathematical edge. Hellsau mentioned getting blown out by gorilla shaman as being a potential downside, but it's actually not because your opponent bringing in gorilla shaman is actually (on average) good for you.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

I won a game of legacy today by flashing a Swords to Plowshares back on a Sire of Insanity.

With Torrential Gearhulk.

I had a Jace in play and he had to use 2 Lotus Petals to cast the Sire so it didn't really matter but ehhhh, I'm gonna say it counts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Jabor posted:

The upside you're playing it for is that you have an extra target for Quiet Disrepair, which is a definite mathematical edge. Hellsau mentioned getting blown out by gorilla shaman as being a potential downside, but it's actually not because your opponent bringing in gorilla shaman is actually (on average) good for you.

Yeah having exactly one artifact land to discard to Wrench Mind or enchant with Quiet Disrepair is fine, assuming have enough basics to get with Ash Barrens and Evolving Wilds. Back when Drake was around, I played against the UG Turbofog deck and at the time it ran a full set of Seat of the Synods plus some Tree of the Tales, because Wrench Mind was an actual dangerous card for the strategy and it ran the Quiet Disrepairs in the maindeck because Affinity was everywhere. Unfortunately, Affinity was everywhere, so anyone that could afford the 20 tickets for Gorilla Shamans had them in the sideboard. Eating three lands for 3R and getting a 1/1 is pretty backbreaking, since the Turbofog deck absolutely needed to maintain a mana advantage to be able to keep a Jace's Erasure in play against Drake while not dying to the combo. Ash Barrens is so great with Brainstorm which you're running anyway for the synergies with the Erasures that it seems much better to switch over to those instead of the corner cases with the artifact lands, so good call more recent Turbofog player.

• Locked thread