Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Comrade Cheggorsky posted:

Jezza Corbyn has had a rough week so i hope he takes some time over the weekend to just sit back and relax, hell, he has earned it !

He's as productive in three days as he would be in five apparently.

It may sound like something you'd hear coming out of North Korea but it's true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Pissflaps posted:

What a pioneer!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36069754

The BBC posted:

Three-day working week 'optimal for over-40s'

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
When Tony Blair was winning all those elections and keeping the tories suppressed for more than a decade, did he work 3-day weeks do you think?

Comrade Cheggorsky
Aug 20, 2011

Tony Blair was a bit of a scoundrel but you have to hand it to him, he knew how to beat tories

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Tesseraction posted:

Let's be fair, being cleverer than you is a rather low bar. I mean, you think people are saying Corbyn is blameless when the only thing to suggest as such is a Have I Got News For You tweet. Which is not actually a poster in this thread, I feel the need to point out for you.
Has leaving the EU made Hungary less fascist yet

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I wasn't aware that they had.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Pissflaps posted:

We should all get paid well enough to only need a 3 day week.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

jBrereton posted:

Has leaving the EU made Hungary less fascist yet

This is the second time you've tried this dumbshit burn... have I made such a claim?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Tony Blair was a bit of a scoundrel but you have to hand it to him, he knew how to beat tories

Shame he didn't limit it to that but decided to branch out to Iraqis as well.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Mister Adequate posted:

Shame he didn't limit it to that but decided to branch out to Iraqis as well.

He wasnt the prime minister of Iraq, you guys gotta learn to focus on #1.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Tess ilu mate but it seems voting leave did a number on your e-cred

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Dennis Skinner voted Leave and I still rate him higher than most other MPs, even if he does pander to rams supporters.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

West ham are the good and true football team

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

As Sun Tzu once said, "to know your enemy, you must become them"

In other news, our very own Daily Mail are among the esteemed publications to be banned from covering Trump's press briefings for being biased against him. How far gone do you have to be that the Mail aren't fawningly right wing enough for you?

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot
So Labour have managed to lose a safe seat during a by-election, but that's definitely in no way the fault of the person leading the Labour party.

However, it is definitely the fault of a previous leader who hasn't been in charge for nearly a decade.

Funnily enough, running anti-establishment messaging doesn't work in a place where your own loving party is the establishment.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Nobody's saying Corbyn is blameless in what happened, but when a seat has had a steadily decreasing Labour majority for two decades (including during Cameron's government) it's stupid to try and pin it all on the guy who became leader a year and a half ago

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/fb9548f4-fad0-11e6-a6f0-cb4e831c1cc0

quote:

Theresa May urged Tory councillors to crush Labour in forthcoming local authority and mayoral elections as she revelled in an historic by-election win.
The prime minister mocked Labour over its infighting and claims of infiltration by Trotskyists as she looked ahead to elections on May 4.
She told a conference of councillors: “Last year Labour’s deputy leader warned of entryism in Labour by the far left. This year even the Stalinists in Momentum are complaining about being infiltrated by the Trotskyists. But for those of us who remember what Militant did to Liverpool, it doesn’t matter what term you use: we can’t allow Labour to get a foothold back in local government and let them do for our local communities what they did to our country.”
A YouGov poll for The Times put the Tories on 41, up 1 point, Labour up 1 on 25, Ukip down 2 on 13 and the Lib Dems unchanged on 11. Some 49 per cent said that Mrs May would make the best prime minister while Jeremy Corbyn got 15 per cent. Among people who voted Labour in 2015 Mr Corbyn’s lead over Mrs May was only 3 points.
Standing in Market Square, Mrs May said: “Experts were saying Labour would increase their majority but all of you — the volunteers who went out there day in and day out and campaigned — you have made sure that didn’t happen, that this is truly a wonderful victory for the Conservative party but also for the people of Copeland.” Framing the result as an endorsement of her leadership, she signalled that the Conservatives would seek to make inroads into northern areas previously considered Labour heartlands.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

What does she mean by this bit "we can’t allow Labour to get a foothold back in local government and let them do for our local communities what they did to our country", what are these things that were did? If they were bad things id be on her side. What bad things do labour have planned for local communities?

Seaside Loafer fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Feb 25, 2017

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

She doesn't mean anything specific, it's just handwavey 'Labour bad' and dogwhistling. People are meant to fill in the blanks themselves

But if you want some ideas, some popular tropes are 'Labour destroyed the economy' and 'Labour let in all the immigrants'

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Its all so loving pointless isnt it.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

You really might just as well elect the PM by combination of twitter likes and facebook friends.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Plucky Brit posted:

So Labour have managed to lose a safe seat during a by-election, but that's definitely in no way the fault of the person leading the Labour party.

However, it is definitely the fault of a previous leader who hasn't been in charge for nearly a decade.

Funnily enough, running anti-establishment messaging doesn't work in a place where your own loving party is the establishment.

I know you're genuinely as stupid as you try to appear but you realise the swing is less than 5% right?

that's not "safe"

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Tory party were a mess in 97, Blair came along with near identical policies at the cost of what the Labour Party historically was, and a party which looked much more competent and just stole all their voters. Now the Tory party has their poo poo together they just stole them back again. Blair is to blame for a lot of today's problems, and not just because of the war. He didn't reverse or fix any of the terrible decisions the Tory party made with selling off council houses or destroying the unions. New deal is another one. The civil service wanted it as a replacement for apprenticeships, young kids who would not be entitled to much dole would get extra money and transport for a combination of work experience and collage. They stated very clearly that it simply would not work for anyone over the age of 21 and begged Labour not to extend the scheme, but they did and here we are now with people being forced to work 8 hour shifts in tescos for an extra £10 on the dole and that's it. Blair basically created a slave class that no one in the media gives a gently caress about, unless they want to write an article about how horrible a company is.

Labour need to decide what they want to be, the party of the working class or an alternative to the Tory party. I don't understand why people are saying Corbyn should make them the remain party at all. Like it or not it was the northern working class and traditional labour voters who voted leave. So in pushing for remain you are alienating your core voter base. Bring it right back to four core aims. More council houses, especially within commuting distance of London, tighter control on imagration, scrapping new deal, and giving power back to the unions in order to fight zero hours contracts.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
Tony Blair won elections against michael howard

I unironically believe I could've done that against a man whose prime recognition outside of tory leader was "possibly a vampire"

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Another day another round of blame Anyone But Corbyn, lashing out at the last labour government, ignoring the contextual nature of reality.

You people are the reason why Labour is hosed.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

While we mostly are members of the British public we aren't really representative so that's a little unfair.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

namesake posted:

While we mostly are members of the British public we aren't really representative so that's a little unfair.

Let's get 'british public' on the list

https://twitter.com/haveigotnews/status/835172452296716288

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Yes in a voting system the voters do hold some responsibility for the outcome, like Labour not doing so well.

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

Jeremy Corbyn is not the cause of Labour’s woes, says Norwich MP posted:

Norwich MP Clive Lewis has insisted Jeremy Corbyn is not the cause of Labour’s woes after the party’s crushing defeat in the Copeland by-election.

He insisted Mr Corbyn - who he has backed in two leadership elections - should not be the scapegoat for the defeat.

“If anyone believes that physically changing the rider on a white charger is going to solve the problems that all political parties, but ours in particular, face at this time, they are sadly mistaken. It is a shortcut.

“If you are still going to tackle deindustrialisation, the inequality, lack of quality of jobs, if you want to challenge power and the establishment, if you are going to do all the things that are going to shake this country up and make it a better place, you are going to have to tackle a lot of vested interests, including the media who are going to turn on you.

“We have to got to work out how we are going to build alliances with people who share our values across the political parties, but also those outside politics. Until that is grasped we will continue to see what has happened continue. It is too easy for people to think chop off the head and put on a new head and everything will get better, and I don’t think that is going to happen.”
http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/politics/jeremy_corbyn_is_not_the_cause_of_labour_s_woes_says_norwich_mp_1_4905107

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Won't somebody think of the tax avoiders?!

quote:

Mr Tyrie said in his letter that his office had been contacted by an increasing number of people concerned that HMRC investigations into such schemes were "not always fair nor what anyone could have expected".

That had resulted in "financial calamity" for some individuals, as well as considerable difficulties for HMRC in closing down some schemes.

"Many have said that, when these schemes were being sold, they were not considered to be aggressive avoidance but just a deferral of tax, and they were often marketed as routine tax management," Mr Tyrie told the Chancellor.

"Whether or not these claims are valid, it does appear that many individuals are facing very severe financial distress as a consequence."

Some investors in film schemes have been hit with Accelerated Payment Notices, which give taxpayers 90 days to pay the disputed amount of tax.

Their use has been controversial because some tax advisers claim they scare taxpayers into paying up rather than contest claims in the courts.

Some 60,000 notices have been issued since their introduction in 2014 and have raised £3bn.

Although some consider the notices to be draconian, as they can require taxpayers to stump up sums described as "life-changing", HMRC has won various attempts to challenge their legality.

In August last year HMRC claimed victory in a tax avoidance battle over schemes worth more than £820m run by Ingenious Film Partnership and Icebreaker.

The Ingenious scheme tried to use artificial losses arising from backing a range of films including Avatar, Life of Pi and Die Hard 4. The Icebreaker scheme attempted to create artificial losses from limited liability partnerships.

HMRC said both schemes saw users claim more in tax relief than they had invested - a claim that Ingenious disputed.

Ingenious called the Tax Tribunal decision "arbitrary and subjective".

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I think the real problem is that no politician seems able to correctly handle a metaphor. What the gently caress is "physically changing the rider on a white charger" even meant to mean in this context? Where is Bernard when you need him?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

^^^ it means a symbolic hero who's expected to ride in and save the day

swap the column titles around and... it's u

Why the hell is 'boogie' on there anyway? Or is that the bit where Paul Merton goes :jiggled:

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Feb 25, 2017

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

baka kaba posted:

Why the hell is 'boogie' on there anyway? Or is that the bit where Paul Merton goes :jiggled:

Are you taking the piss?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

baka kaba posted:

^^^ it means a symbolic hero who's expected to ride in and save the day

swap the column titles around and... it's u

Blame it on the boogie. You know, like the song.

Also stop loving responding to pissflaps and totally ruining the thread.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

jBrereton posted:

YOU DID NOT REPRESENT THE PEOPLE WHO WANTED TO STOP THE BREXIT JUGGERNAUT ONE IOTA YOU DICK

And you don't represent the people of Stoke.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Jedit posted:

And you don't represent the people of Stoke.

He isn't claiming to.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
goon in "shut in with no knowledge of popular music" shocker

Paxman
Feb 7, 2010

Seaside Loafer posted:

What does she mean by this bit "we can’t allow Labour to get a foothold back in local government and let them do for our local communities what they did to our country", what are these things that were did? If they were bad things id be on her side. What bad things do labour have planned for local communities?

She sees the idea that Labour were actually poo poo when they were last in government nationally as a weapon she can use to convince people they would also be poo poo if they won the mayoral elections in May. This is one of the reasons it's important to challenge the idea that the last Labour government was bad. As well as being untrue, it helps the Tories.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Taear posted:

Blame it on the boogie. You know, like the song.

Yeah but you're meant to blame it on the boogie, so the joke works better without it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

LemonDrizzle posted:

goon in "shut in with no knowledge of popular music" shocker

Dont blame it on: sunshine, moonlight, good times
Blame it on: boogie

Joke doesnt really work

• Locked thread