Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Also hard to imagine they'd downgrade a player who, on paper, is still very low rated.

You'd be putting him at almost silver if you downgraded him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
I'm just basing this off the current sofifa ratings which in the past years have been spot on for upgrades (also the place people are pulling Dembele getting bumped to 5* skills and 92 pace on his base card). Renato is a 77 over there

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Accidentally just bought a Pjanic OTW for 175, don't know what the F I was doing.

That said, I'm going to buy ~10 OTW Pjanic right now, they are so close in price to his IF I feel he should rise naturally. He was well over 240k before the OTW SBC hit. Not saying he'll get back up to that mark as there are a lot more in circulation now, but he should still rise.

Juventus also plays a pretty weak Palermo side tomorrow, so maybe Pjanic will get the start which should give him a boost in price, not to mention it's a Friday game so it won't get overlooked like it might on the weekend.

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003

Seltzer posted:

The upgrades will begin rolling tomorrow. Interestingly it's being called a "ratings refresh" and the logo has a green upgrade arrow and a red downgrade arrow. People are speculating that new cards won't be released and rather that the cards will "refresh" to a new rating in your club. That would be really interesting especially if they did downgrades as well. I'm worried about Renato.

looks like they are new cards, BPL upgrades have rolled out

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Yep, upgrades and downgrades. I like the downgrades for some reason. It would be cool if they made silvers relevant again though, for multiple reasons including the fact that some downgraded golds will become cool silvers.

My IF Valencia and Lallana got boosted, Lallana got a massive boost which is great. +20 def and +12 physical off the first card.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
My POTM Son and Alli both got a little boost which is nice. Really glad I made that Alli card now, he's pretty drat good for the 80k I spent on him.

Serie A upgrades are gonna be on sunday I guess, with the other leagues following every two days I'd assume.

I really want the dang darn bundesliga upgrades.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

So I played two games of the PL sweatfest. 1 w 1 l. The loss was pretty bullshit and he had a trillion coin team. One thing I didn't know until he subbed on Douglas Costa and Sanches was that the WL requirement only covers 16 players in the starting 11 and subs. We can't have the pack whales unable to use their Legends and super powered IFs from other leagues for one whole weekend! Seriously what's the point of reqs if you leave in a big loopholes like that. I don't like this WL already because I'm sick of playing PL teams but at least stay consistent with the requirements. More reason they need to bring back tournaments with good requirements/prizes.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I forgot to post his, I scored one of the most bullshit goals in my fifa 17 career the other day in the WL qualifier.

This is the actual angle when contact with the ball was made

I think I'm going to throw in the towel in the PL weekend league at about 5 wins.... It sucks. Also I don't want to use fitness cards and my 2nd string team just isn't up for the task.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Haha the only thing that's bullshit is the animation though. You're in a good spot, you earned the goal imo

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

PL down/upgrades are out. I wasted 30k on packs hoping to pull something. Of course I got nothing, ah well.

Seltzer posted:

I forgot to post his, I scored one of the most bullshit goals in my fifa 17 career the other day in the WL qualifier.

This is the actual angle when contact with the ball was made

I think I'm going to throw in the towel in the PL weekend league at about 5 wins.... It sucks. Also I don't want to use fitness cards and my 2nd string team just isn't up for the task.
Hahah that loving goal.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

IF-Nicolai Muller is solid as gently caress annnd IF-Modeste continues to bang'em in for me,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9bZrhaMRSU&t=20s
176 goals on 182 games.

Replays,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=md9nOMV7J3Y&t=34s

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
~Modeste~.

I hope he gets an upgrade to be even MORE powerful.

Dollas
Sep 16, 2007

$$$$$$$$$
Clapping Larry
I want to see EA implement indirects in the penalty area. No reason:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpeZwpu43Wk

Seriously does this poo poo happen to anyone else
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mj_cP4FKqAQ

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Really, REALLY happy that the loving force disconnect glitch is still around. It gives both players a loss but I just had someone who I was crushing effortlessly do that poo poo to me near the end of a game.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

That was the worst weekend league of all time. I stopped at 5 wins. I hate the EPL in this game so so much. Also playing the WL this year has 100% convinced me for certain of momentum existing in this game. I already believed it but the 45th min and 90th min goals are so so obvious for and against me it's unreal. The arguments I constantly see of those periods being longer and it therefor influencing perception that more goals are scored because of that is just bogus. Suddenly defenders don't close down, inch perfect backpasses are made and centerbacks slot the ball in the top corner. One other thing that seems blatantly obvious to me is how easy it is to score if you've just conceded or alternatively how poo poo your team becomes the few moments after scoring. Again the arguments made that people switch to attacking after conceding and that is why they score does not at all cover the obviousness of how momentum swings after a goal. Idk how people can play this game for so long and not believe in some sort of momentum. People get crazy with theories and I don't buy them all but ffs it's real obvious the game decides to make your players better/worse at various points. I seriously don't know how you couldn't come to that conclusion after all these years.

E-sports are dumb imo but hopefully every developers march towards trying to monetize the competitive aspects of their game means EA will finally remove the bullshit sooner rather than later.

e- I'm going to see that Sadio Mane card until the end of fifa. It was my first time using martial and he is so overpowered its a joke. Idk why EA decides to make EPL players OP on top of giving them 1,000 cards more than other leagues.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Feb 20, 2017

aborn
Jun 2, 2001

1, 2, woop! woop!

Seltzer posted:

it's real obvious the game decides to make your players better/worse at various points

This is my first FIFA, and "don't attribute to malice what is explained by stupidity" and all that, but goddamn there's some REAL weird poo poo that happens in this game. I come from CS:GO and other competitive games, and FIFA has been bewildering at times. I've never raged at a game the way I do at this.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

aborn posted:

This is my first FIFA, and "don't attribute to malice what is explained by stupidity" and all that, but goddamn there's some REAL weird poo poo that happens in this game. I come from CS:GO and other competitive games, and FIFA has been bewildering at times. I've never raged at a game the way I do at this.

I've been playing regularly since 13. There are definitely forms of momentum/rubberbanding or whatever you want to call it. Not saying this is you, but the only people I see saying otherwise and are bad and or infrequent players. Pay attention to conceding/scoring after a goal is scored and the 45th and 90th minute goals specifically and you'll notice right away. I routinely try bolder passes shots etc. during those moments because of the higher probability of it working compared to normal play. If you've ever played high level cpu games you know all the bullshit the game is capable of with sliders.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
There is definitely something there. I have a feeling it's as simple as a randomized changing of the sliders, or some fairly simple logic.

I doubt it's some like super well thought out plan to bring everyone down, someone at EA probably said, 'how could we try to program momentum into the game?'

Then instead of actually program momentum, they just had some key moments in a game(end of half, after a goal, etc) trigger a change in the sliders.

Or it randomly puts your team at 80-110% of 'normal' every game. But they didn't realize that like a few of the sliders have a ridiculous impact on the gameplay. Like whatever applies to aggression and interceptions, because every couple games my team intercepts every pass and then the other games they just sit there sucking their thumbs. Or I'll come up against someone who has ridiculously high pressure without overcommitting his back line.

Obviously the really good players win regardless, but I am not one of those players.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Seltzer posted:

I've been playing regularly since 13. There are definitely forms of momentum/rubberbanding or whatever you want to call it. Not saying this is you, but the only people I see saying otherwise and are bad and or infrequent players. Pay attention to conceding/scoring after a goal is scored and the 45th and 90th minute goals specifically and you'll notice right away. I routinely try bolder passes shots etc. during those moments because of the higher probability of it working compared to normal play. If you've ever played high level cpu games you know all the bullshit the game is capable of with sliders.

I mean Nepenthez says otherwise and he's a really good player that wins like 4/5 of his games, I would also say otherwise even though I don't play as much as him but I'm pretty sure I have about the same winrate as you

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
I'm just not sure. Could there be something there, sure, but for me, especially stuff like the the 45th/90th minute stuff and the so called 'kick off glitch' issues, if I step back and think about why I get owned then most of the time I just have to point the finger at myself.

Normally, when I score, I am immediately concerned because 90% of people will play SUPER aggressively off the kick off to try and overwhelm you when you're off guard. This leads to me playing and defending in a way that is atypical, because I'm super worried about getting scored on, and because the person I'm playing against is suddenly charging straight at me as fast as he can with generally his fastest and best player. The same thing essentially happens in the 45th and 90th minute, both players will play in a completely different way than normal because they know the whistle is about to blow and a goal scored right before the whistle can and often does change a game at half time, and can be the difference between a win and a loss obviously in the 90th minute. Do players sometimes feel unusual or sluggish, yes, but I think it's equally probable that its essentially an effect of a generally sudden and wild shift in attacking and defending styles for both players. Essentially, after a goal, and at the ends of halves, most people play very differently from what they might be doing in the 20th or 30th or 70th minute or whatever. Add on to that a potential placebo effect; ie, both players believe that there is or might be momentum or handicapping in those particular situations especially, and again essentially unconsciously behave differently in those moments; AND the fact that these are by far the longest minutes of the game statistically speaking, and I think there's a compelling case for it just being literally in our heads.

EITHER way though, it's the way the game is and has basically always been, I just think that it's a lot more 'important' to everyone this year with fut champs so people are playing a lot more games and more importantly a lot more stressful games, so whatever the issues are they become more apparent and more frustrating to deal with. Makes it a lot harder to step back and say "well either way this is the way the game is and all I can do is either quit playing or accept that things are the way they are and deal with it".

Also I lost loving FOUR games to disconnects this weekend and that is some serious goddamn bullshit. I was playing pretty well, I was 12-3, winning a game 3-1, got disconnected and took a loss and from then on was just full on angry the entire rest of the weekend, compounded by additional disconnects, and just played like dogshit afterwards and got my 21 wins and was just loving happy that I was done.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Stefan Prodan posted:

I mean Nepenthez says otherwise and he's a really good player that wins like 4/5 of his games, I would also say otherwise even though I don't play as much as him but I'm pretty sure I have about the same winrate as you

There are also pro players better than him that agree with me... I forget the dude's name but the guy who had a feeling chem wasn't working right for uprgraded cards, before it was proven to be true, believes in momentum (he used non - upgraded cards in tournaments because he could tell something was up). I trust that guy a bit more than a youtuber. It's been the same since '13, I'm fully aware of the ideas as to why certain things happen (RNG, changes in players tactics etc.) which makes it easier to judge with a skeptical eye than if I didn't imo. I'm looking out for those parameters as to why these things are happening but they do not explain things thoroughly enough at all. Seriously the shots that I'm able to make in the 45th minute alone from bad angles, at range etc. is pretty much all the evidence I need. That has nothing to do with defending, mentality etc. Those shots simply don't go in during the majority of games yet they do a lot in those periods. The only factors in those shots are me and the AI keeper (who routinely dives but stays in place which is always suspect. You know the animation where they do the dive but don't go sideways and just fall).

They had momentum officially in the game in 09, other sports franchises of theirs have talked about balancing the game to give lesser players a chance. I don't find it hard to believe that it would still be in the game due to laziness or because it makes sense for maintaining a larger userbase who might spend more money on your game. The practice arena being in the background while a game loads glitch is still in the game after all these years. Keep in mind I'm talking about momentum, not scripting which is flat out stupid.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches
There was a pro player better than the pro player youre thinking of, I cant remember his name either and he said you're talking bollocks

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

The Big Taff Man posted:

There was a pro player better than the pro player youre thinking of, I cant remember his name either and he said you're talking bollocks

lol

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I believe momentum is a thing. In some modes you can see a 'composure' stat for players, it makes sense for this stat to affect gameplay elements in certain points during a match.

Handicapping and ELO based rubber banding I don't believe though, I think people just lose their IRL composure and start playing like poo poo when luck goes against them.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
I think the community is pretty split on the whole momentum/handicapping thing, but obviously the discussion you see online is mostly people who have something to complain about, as is the case with most games.

Either way, the game is the way it is.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Anyways legends and EPL players are crashing hard. People are selling off their EPL teams + they can't use the EPL players in the new WL so they're even less desirable at the moment. Legends simply can't be used in this weekend league so they're dropping too. The prices are way too low imo and will rebound next week I'd imagine. I think it's wise to sell off high value Ligue 1 and Bundesliga players and buy PL players and or Legends if you are interested in them. I already offloaded my Dembele for +80k profit and I'm looking at picking up a legend or two. I'm gonna pick up Dembele after the WL crash + upgrade undercutting and then flip him again for the skill upgrade hype and then buy back to keep for good.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Seltzer posted:

Anyways legends and EPL players are crashing hard. People are selling off their EPL teams + they can't use the EPL players in the new WL so they're even less desirable at the moment. Legends simply can't be used in this weekend league so they're dropping too. The prices are way too low imo and will rebound next week I'd imagine. I think it's wise to sell off high value Ligue 1 and Bundesliga players and buy PL players and or Legends if you are interested in them. I already offloaded my Dembele for +80k profit and I'm looking at picking up a legend or two. I'm gonna pick up Dembele after the WL crash + upgrade undercutting and then flip him again for the skill upgrade hype and then buy back to keep for good.

I'd bet on dembele spiking up at LEAST another 100k after the upgrades, especially if they package the 5 star skills in too and with the weekend league on. I would be shocked to see him under the price he is now even after the post weekend post upgrade crash, he's gonna be an absurdly good card who is incredibly easy to fit into other teams.

e: Also the WL is Bundesliga and La Liga, not Ligue 1, in case you had misread it.

hopterque fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Feb 20, 2017

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

hopterque posted:

I'd bet on dembele spiking up at LEAST another 100k after the upgrades, especially if they package the 5 star skills in too and with the weekend league on. I would be shocked to see him under the price he is now even after the post weekend post upgrade crash, he's gonna be an absurdly good card who is incredibly easy to fit into other teams.

e: Also the WL is Bundesliga and La Liga, not Ligue 1, in case you had misread it.

They do the skill upgrades after the general upgrades. 90% of the upgraded EPL cards ended up going down significantly the big exception being Mane who got like 99 pace and +15 strength. Dembele might go up more in the short term but I see him leveling out and dropping below 200k again after the WL. Also yea the ligue 1/liga thing was a typo. Just looking right now, Hazard is down 100k, Sanchez 200k, Costa 70k, Son 60k, Kante 60k etc. You'll be fine if you sell by friday but I'm just being a little risk averse. A lot of people bought up Dembele's as investments during the OTW thing and "surefire investments" usually have the worst undercutting. Hopefully they don't give him some crazy upgrade because I'd like to have the card back.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
I picked up a few de bruynes for 105k, should be able to make 30k or so on each of those.

I'm so bummed I didn't invest in OTW Dembele when he was 200k, I was tied up in other investments. Then he shot up to 290k almost immediately and I could have made about 500k profit.

I'm selling trough all my Alex sandros I bought for 7600, most going between 9.8-10.5 but I've had a few go for 13k.

Gotta drop price next run to sell them all so I don't get stuck with them though.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Seltzer posted:

They do the skill upgrades after the general upgrades. 90% of the upgraded EPL cards ended up going down significantly the big exception being Mane who got like 99 pace and +15 strength. Dembele might go up more in the short term but I see him leveling out and dropping below 200k again after the WL. Also yea the ligue 1/liga thing was a typo. Just looking right now, Hazard is down 100k, Sanchez 200k, Costa 70k, Son 60k, Kante 60k etc. You'll be fine if you sell by friday but I'm just being a little risk averse. A lot of people bought up Dembele's as investments during the OTW thing and "surefire investments" usually have the worst undercutting. Hopefully they don't give him some crazy upgrade because I'd like to have the card back.

I think dembele is gonna be the rare exception, because like Mane he's getting a massive increase. Like, the pace on his inform/otw should be ~the 95 mark, which with some buffed physical stats and maybe a few other things will make him pound for pound up there with the best players in the game.

But we'll see, either way I bought in at 190k so I'm gonna be making good money.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

What a god drat monster,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wKrSndCNtA&t=23s

Looking forward to his upgraded card :getin:

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Sameee, they better put bundesliga upgrades out before the weekend!

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Who do you guys like for an IF investment this week? I'm hoping to grab a few older IFs once they hit packs while prices drop.

It looks like Dybala, Insigne, Chicarito are getting another batch of IFs. Chicarito might be a nice look if his price drops some more, given the WL qualifier this weekend(although he doesn't have many good links from a nationality standpoint).

Dybala's SIF also looks to be pretty low right now, hmmmmm.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

DoctaFun posted:

Who do you guys like for an IF investment this week? I'm hoping to grab a few older IFs once they hit packs while prices drop.

It looks like Dybala, Insigne, Chicarito are getting another batch of IFs. Chicarito might be a nice look if his price drops some more, given the WL qualifier this weekend(although he doesn't have many good links from a nationality standpoint).

Dybala's SIF also looks to be pretty low right now, hmmmmm.

IF Piszcek after the WL is over. The only elite RB in Bundesliga by a mile and he'll stay that way unless something crazy happens like Keita getting a third in form and position change.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Seltzer posted:

IF Piszcek after the WL is over. The only elite RB in Bundesliga by a mile and he'll stay that way unless something crazy happens like Keita getting a third in form and position change.

Yeah picking him up is probably a smart move if you time it during the low point sunday and monday.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
I wish I would have grabbed that Dybala I saw at 640k! I got one at 690k and he's already up to 750k, hoping he goes back up to the 850-880 mark.

I think I'm done filling my transfer list with players trying to net a thousand or two profit per. It's just so much less time involved to grab a few high priced dudes or OTWs. Definitely some risk involved too of course, but not nearly as many people investing in 300k+ players who will undercut you at the drop of a hat.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
IF Modeste is basically extinct on ps4 (and xbox maybe as well?) because his price range only goes up to 50k :blessed:

He's getting an upgrade tomorrow too.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Started the game about a month ago, and through sbcs and the like ended up with the good fortune to pack a couple strong players, most notably a standard 89 aguero

I run a epl squad so that's great, but as I'm broke at the moment I can't help but wonder if I'd be better off swapping aguero for standard Sanchez and making 80-100k or so to turn around into sbcs or the 100k promo pack. Would this be a mistake?

Right now I'm running a 4-3-1-2 with

Aguero - Vardy (Firmino, Sturridge, Coutinho)

Ozil

Eriksen - Gundogan - Mahrez (Depay, Sterling, Wilshire, Schneiderlin, De Rossi)

Shaw - Mustafi - Ashley Williams - Coleman (Moreno, Bellerin, Cahill, Reid)

Cech

Is there a better use of my players than this formation?

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

hopterque posted:

IF Modeste is basically extinct on ps4 (and xbox maybe as well?) because his price range only goes up to 50k :blessed:

He's getting an upgrade tomorrow too.
Haha this loving rules.

Also I'm loving the diving price of IF-Piszczek. I should be able to afford him by the Monday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

Jonathan Fisk posted:

Started the game about a month ago, and through sbcs and the like ended up with the good fortune to pack a couple strong players, most notably a standard 89 aguero

I run a epl squad so that's great, but as I'm broke at the moment I can't help but wonder if I'd be better off swapping aguero for standard Sanchez and making 80-100k or so to turn around into sbcs or the 100k promo pack. Would this be a mistake?

Right now I'm running a 4-3-1-2 with

Aguero - Vardy (Firmino, Sturridge, Coutinho)

Ozil

Eriksen - Gundogan - Mahrez (Depay, Sterling, Wilshire, Schneiderlin, De Rossi)

Shaw - Mustafi - Ashley Williams - Coleman (Moreno, Bellerin, Cahill, Reid)

Cech

Is there a better use of my players than this formation?

Why have you got all those great players but no kante?

• Locked thread