Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Found on /r/hardwareswap, a guy is selling a gaming PC to buy stock in AMD (who is on the verge of releasing potentially a good CPU that may out perform Intel and looks to invest a quarter of his total income to it.

quote:

Hey everyone, to begin I have a full PC Build. + Other Parts below.. Your going to hate me but this is the loving truth I swear. I basically do not need a gaming PC at the moment. And my will to game has faded...but my will for gainz is growing. I have recently found the sub /r/wallstreetbets and I'm selling all my poo poo and YOLOing the gently caress out.

Now now now.. don't hate me just yet. I've been working my rear end off and investing my whole life in different poo poo. My most successful venture thus far has been bitcoin. I'm no god drat bitcoinillionaire but I've been turning it over and helping pay for poo poo for years.
Long story short, then I started saving all my freedom dollars into bitcoin, then I started mining and small term investing. And now I am in it balls deep. My reasoning behind all this is simply, I don't need all this poo poo if I'm not going to use it right now. And if I don't go broke and do well over time I can buy it all back better next year. Annnnnd if I go nolo broke, well I made a slightly costly bad life decision at 25 and learned some really god drat good life lessons (at least one would hope).

So I'm selling all my needless possessions (Except my PS4), lowering my bills and overall cost of living and investing it all...in AMD. (Not all I diversify. but 100% of this PC would go towards it.) My ultimate goal being to invest 1/4 of my income by the end of this year. So without further blabbering...

Edit: I also just checked out /r/wallstreetbets... holy gently caress lol

cage-free egghead fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Feb 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Put it all on 31!

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

MrOnBicycle posted:

And yes I know that we don't pay tuition fees so if you can live with your parents / have a partner that supports you, it's free. Most people have to take loans to live. But even that is cheap. I'll have about $50k in loans @ <1% interest. So nothing to complain about there.

That's a good safety net in case you have to fail out of med school. In the USA, if you fail or quit one year before becoming a doctor, you are left with up to half a million in student loans that cannot be got rid of in any way, even bankruptcy. That must be pretty stressful.

With only 50k in student loans if you decide "I hate this" you can pay off your loans doing some other job and be free.

AmericanBarbarian
Nov 23, 2011

cage-free egghead posted:

Found on /r/hardwareswap, a guy is selling a gaming PC to buy stock in AMD (who is on the verge of releasing potentially a good CPU that may out perform Intel and looks to invest a quarter of his total income to it.

Wallstreetbets is a goldmine. Or is there a word for a reverse goldmine? Like the guano mines the British used to have to manufacture gunpowder, but worse.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Oh lord that subreddit is a dumpster fire.

SquirrelFace
Dec 17, 2009
From the local craigslist:

horse people posted:

.ET, is looking for a new home. We had her as an embryo transfer mare for our last foal. I have sat on her and walked around and she seems sane. Walk trot canter on the line. Must go to a good home.

Now besides giving away a presumably expensive animal, there is nothing inherently BWM about this ad.

But it does hint at something I didn't know existed, but seems real, real BWM: horse IVF

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

that's how the rich people with the fancy horses do it, because old-fashioned humping always involves some risk of injury to both the mare and stallion (which if they're both six-figure animals, is bad), and also because it's cheaper and easier to transport a tank of nitrogen-frozen semen straws than it is to transport a neurotic horse.

horseback riding is fun. horse ownership is just, the worst thing. im so glad i got tf out of my country town

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Can you put a link for this post? I have a coworker into bitcoin who put a ton in AMD and cashed out at $4 :lol:. I want to ask him if he posted this.

SquirrelFace
Dec 17, 2009

OMGVBFLOL posted:

that's how the rich people with the fancy horses do it, because old-fashioned humping always involves some risk of injury to both the mare and stallion (which if they're both six-figure animals, is bad), and also because it's cheaper and easier to transport a tank of nitrogen-frozen semen straws than it is to transport a neurotic horse.

horseback riding is fun. horse ownership is just, the worst thing. im so glad i got tf out of my country town

Oh I know they did the AI, but the idea that you do the actual IVF where they create the embryo outside of the horse and then transfer it to a horse surrogate is insane to me.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Can you put a link for this post? I have a coworker into bitcoin who put a ton in AMD and cashed out at $4 :lol:. I want to ask him if he posted this.

Here ya go: https://www.reddit.com/r/hardwareswap/comments/5vveka/usava_h_full_pc_build_6600k_gtx_1060_6gb_gtx_1070/?st=izk37wbh&sh=2d778969

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Don't worry, there's another group on reddit for the r/wallstreetbets guys to look down on: r/robinhood

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

BarbarianElephant posted:

That's a good safety net in case you have to fail out of med school. In the USA, if you fail or quit one year before becoming a doctor, you are left with up to half a million in student loans that cannot be got rid of in any way, even bankruptcy. That must be pretty stressful.

With only 50k in student loans if you decide "I hate this" you can pay off your loans doing some other job and be free.

Another safety net: It's pretty much impossible for me to fail out of med school. I pretty much have to either commit a serious crime or quit. They sometimes say that you can fail 3 times tops, but don't think it's common at all.

If I quit I'll have maxed out my student loans though. 6 years is max from the government. Won't be quitting as there is nothing I'd rather do.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Horse lovers in this thread will probably love the horse action (including horse violence!) in the first six minutes of this new Zelda Breath of the Wild video: https://youtu.be/ojsc6dg1sjE

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
I have a distant relative that is a scumbag and possibly a rapist. He allegedly sexually assaulted a female member of his cohort in his last year of medical school. So he dropped out and moved back home. His older brother bailed him out, and to repay him he was supposed to work at the older brother's business and do data entry for a few months.

Tax time rolled around a few months later and none of the data had been entered. His next job he got fired from. He was an assistant manager at a mexican food restaurant, and he would close it down early on the weekends and host open-bar parties for his friends.

The only thing that doesn't make me completely revolted by this douchebag is that he's basically unemployable with over half a million dollars in student loan debt. He's never getting unburied from that.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

I have a distant relative that is a scumbag and possibly a rapist. He allegedly sexually assaulted a female member of his cohort in his last year of medical school. So he dropped out and moved back home. His older brother bailed him out, and to repay him he was supposed to work at the older brother's business and do data entry for a few months.

Tax time rolled around a few months later and none of the data had been entered. His next job he got fired from. He was an assistant manager at a mexican food restaurant, and he would close it down early on the weekends and host open-bar parties for his friends.

The only thing that doesn't make me completely revolted by this douchebag is that he's basically unemployable with over half a million dollars in student loan debt. He's never getting unburied from that.

I'm glad this fucker managed to fail out of med school before he got to abuse vulnerable people.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

You should still be completely revolted.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
More ways your parents can get screwed:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/PACE_financing

Essentially you get a loan to do energy efficient upgrades to your house. That's fine, but it is paid off as an increase in your tax assessment that can be 5-20 years. Try selling a house with an excessive tax burden for the next decade.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Mercury Ballistic posted:

Essentially you get a loan to do energy efficient upgrades to your house. That's fine, but it is paid off as an increase in your tax assessment that can be 5-20 years. Try selling a house with an excessive tax burden for the next decade.

...but that just means a bigger tax refund!!! :haw:

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

How did someone that lazy get through three+ years of med school plus the undergrad work needed to get into med school?

Eh, if it raises property value/lowers utility costs enough to pay for itself, someone will bite.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

FYI, this was his response when I sent him the article and asked if he was going to buy more AMD:

quote:

i need to save for my diesel
gotta go pure merica

He's buying a $60k Cummins diesel so he can "fit my family." He has a wife and a 2-year old, and of course they can't fit in his Ridgeline.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I think the fear is the ones selling these want the money, and have fewer legal obligations to explain the terms properly. Apparently many are left with a new tax bill they are unable to afford. Caveat emptor, but hey, this is America right?

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
I absolutely love my mum to bits and she is a fantastic lady however she subscribes to the Australian Mania of buying as much house as the bank will allow you to even in times of record low interest rates, and is trying to apply it vicariously to me. To the point where she keeps on suggesting houses in upmarket areas that in combination with strata fees and council rates will put my expenses above my income and then just blithely suggests that she will be happy to cover the shortfall. Thanks but no thanks, buying a house on a single income while living in a country that looks to be heading towards a recession is daunting enough to begin with, let alone while simultaneously worrying about not being able to afford your fortnightly bills or crippling your mother's retirement funds.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

SquirrelFace posted:

Oh I know they did the AI, but the idea that you do the actual IVF where they create the embryo outside of the horse and then transfer it to a horse surrogate is insane to me.

aggh yeah i totally mixed up IVF and AI

which, now that i think about it, i'm glad about. my years on the farm are fading into the distance haha

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

People miss the boat hard on AMD stock. People are idiots thinking it's going to shoot up like apple or google. Insane thinking.

Full disclosure: I've held (ironically) amd stock for years because it was $2. Honestly I held it like a child would hold a diamond: It was shiny and fun to play with.

Powerlurker
Oct 21, 2010

The other fun one is the people who leased the solar panels on their roof and now have trouble selling their house because buyers aren't stupid enough to take over their lease when prices for panels started plummeting.

http://www.latimes.com/business/realestate/la-fi-harney-20150322-story.html

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

quote:

We've lived in this apartment complex for 2 years in two different apartments because we upgraded to a two-bedroom. We have two cats that are litter-box trained although the one throws up a lot. The apartment is pet friendly and they know we have the two, one we paid a pet deposit for and the other is a support animal for my mental illness.

We moved in July 2015. In May 2016, we decided to upgrade to a two-bedroom down the hall. Through email, we worked out that the pet deposit would transfer to the new apartment while we would need a new deposit for the new apartment.

When they came to inspect the apartment before the final check out date (with no notice, which is outlined in our lease that they can do that), they noted that the apartment smelled like cat urine. My cats don't pee outside the litter box. They never have. And if they did, I would know because cat pee smells really, really bad. My apartment was small and it did smell like a litter box, which isn't the same as urine stained on a carpet.

They also said they didn't know we had two cats and needed a deposit for the second. I told them about my psychiatrist's note and they said that because it was 3 years old, I'd have to get a new one (yeah, because mental illness just goes away after three years). So I got them a new one.

After we moved into the two-bedroom apartment, I was in contact with the manager and she said that they did blacklight testing on the carpet and it showed urine stains and that we would have to pay to replace the carpet. I swore up and down that it wasn't urine. I said that we use a cleaner on spots where the one cat throws up that probably shows up under a blacklight. Also asked if the people before us had any blacklight testing after they moved out. She insisted it was urine and said that they only did the blacklight testing of the tenant has pets, which the previous one didn't. So I don't even know if the stains were ours.

We got a bill in July for the carpet and the vinyl replacement and considered getting a lawyer but didn't follow up because we didn't have the money. Fast-forward to January 2017. We had a yearly inspection and they came in while we were out grocery shopping. They left a note saying that they had done an inspection and that was that. Then I got an email from them 2 weeks later saying that our apartment smelled like urine and that they don't have a pet deposit for one of our cats. I wrote them back saying that we were planning on buying a better litter box with our tax return and said they could do a follow-up. I reminded them that the pet deposit transferred from the old apartment and that I have a doctor's note for the other cat. No response for a month. They came in two-days ago (no notice again, we were both sleeping when it happened). They had a blacklight with them and they were taking pictures. I didn't really question it because I had just woke up and thought it was the follow-up inspection. They left without really saying anything.

Yesterday, I woke up to someone knocking on my door to serve me eviction papers from a lawyer with evidence papers of the blacklight testing. We have to be out in 3 days. I know I'm being taken advantage of here, my mom says I should get a lawyer. Is there anything I can do?

Tl;dr: my apartment complex has tried to make me pay for carpet with false claims of cat urine before and I didn't do anything but pay them because I didn't want to deal with a lawyer. Now they are doing it again and served me an eviction notice and I need to be out in 3 days. My cats didn't pee on the carpet and they are using carpet stains under a blacklight to say they did. Is there anything I can do/is it worth seeing a lawyer?

OP getting evicted because their cats are gross but guys it's just vomit not pee so ndb

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Powerlurker posted:

The other fun one is the people who leased the solar panels on their roof and now have trouble selling their house because buyers aren't stupid enough to take over their lease when prices for panels started plummeting.

http://www.latimes.com/business/realestate/la-fi-harney-20150322-story.html

I watched a version of this play out a few houses down from ours just this week. Sellers had to pay to have the panels moved and installed at their new home. The house was only on the market for a few days, but the solar panels came off the same day the SOLD sign went up.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

quote:

My apartment was small and it did smell like a litter box
Someone needs to give them the bad news that cats always smell 100x worse than their owner thinks they do. It's like body odor - your brain gets used to that poo poo since it's around it all the time. If you, the owner, are smelling generic litter box odor, everyone else is smelling piss and death.

And I have no idea wtf a 'better litter box' is supposed to do, unless they're getting a fancy self-cleaning one.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Pace financing is a huge market in California. I've never invested the time to fully understand it, but just hearing the way people talk about it has always made my BWM alarm go off

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Haifisch posted:

Someone needs to give them the bad news that cats always smell 100x worse than their owner thinks they do. It's like body odor - your brain gets used to that poo poo since it's around it all the time. If you, the owner, are smelling generic litter box odor, everyone else is smelling piss and death.

And I have no idea wtf a 'better litter box' is supposed to do, unless they're getting a fancy self-cleaning one.

It must be a fancy one, because you don't need to wait for your tax return to buy a plastic box. Maybe they are going to get a $450 Litter Robot. https://www.litter-robot.com/litter-robot-iii-open-air.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUSdvYriphw

A goon got one and said they are really good. :toxogond:

Trillian
Sep 14, 2003

monster on a stick posted:

Eh, if it raises property value/lowers utility costs enough to pay for itself, someone will bite.

How often does this really happen?

I have an old house in a cold climate and there's definitely stuff I could do to improve my heating efficiency, but when I do the math I don't think I can get my money back. There's totally an argument for doing it for environmental reasons, but it seems like you would need to have amazing savings for many years to pay off triple-pane windows or whatever.

I always wonder what kind of savings people are actually getting from their energy upgrades.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Caulk and window wraps.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Trillian posted:

How often does this really happen?

I have an old house in a cold climate and there's definitely stuff I could do to improve my heating efficiency, but when I do the math I don't think I can get my money back. There's totally an argument for doing it for environmental reasons, but it seems like you would need to have amazing savings for many years to pay off triple-pane windows or whatever.

I always wonder what kind of savings people are actually getting from their energy upgrades.

Decent insulation makes a real difference.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

FYI, this was his response when I sent him the article and asked if he was going to buy more AMD:

He's buying a $60k Cummins diesel so he can "fit my family." He has a wife and a 2-year old, and of course they can't fit in his Ridgeline.

At least he knows how to save, even if it's for dumb poo poo, so maybe there's hope for him yet.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

Zo posted:

yeah exactly, being poor in the us really sucks, but being rich in the us is loving AWESOME, so the whole social safety net thing is pretty irrelevant to a (potential) doctor

like my one buddy lives in detroit of all places, which sounded like a total shithole in my mind, but even there the rich neighborhood he lived in was incredibly clean/safe/etc when i visited him, with more craft beer shops than you can shake a quadruple IPA at

The difference between Grosse Point and Detroit is pretty stark. My wife grew up around there, and I remember that whenever I'd drive out to visit, there'd be a bunch of run down houses and overgrown grass, then I'd pass some invisible boundary and all of a sudden the street signs look nice, the lawns are all well-kept, and the houses are beautiful. It was very weird.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

El Mero Mero posted:

Pace financing is a huge market in California. I've never invested the time to fully understand it, but just hearing the way people talk about it has always made my BWM alarm go off

Those bonds sound like a really nice investment though since they are against the property and may be municipal bonds which means no fed tax.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Coca Koala posted:

The difference between Grosse Point and Detroit is pretty stark. My wife grew up around there, and I remember that whenever I'd drive out to visit, there'd be a bunch of run down houses and overgrown grass, then I'd pass some invisible boundary and all of a sudden the street signs look nice, the lawns are all well-kept, and the houses are beautiful. It was very weird.

Grosse Pointe has even tried to build literal walls across the roads from Detroit. That link is just the latest one.

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for
:sparkles: :sparkles:

Facebook Aunt posted:

It must be a fancy one, because you don't need to wait for your tax return to buy a plastic box. Maybe they are going to get a $450 Litter Robot. https://www.litter-robot.com/litter-robot-iii-open-air.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUSdvYriphw

A goon got one and said they are really good. :toxogond:

They are amazing and certainly worth the money. We have had two- one for 8 years that only had one issue and the parts were replaced on warranty, and we bought a new one a few years ago because the technology had improved and it has a much quieter motor. We have 4 cats, so it really is a life saver. But we also have other regular boxes that get scooped twice daily. If you can ever smell your litter box at all, you're not doing it right. For the whole apartment to smell I am sure there was pee on the floor around it.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
That's like $5,000 in overpaid phone service.

• Locked thread