Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
was rewatching last week's episode and realized that everyone is holding the bow backward. you don't fire an arrow over your forearm dipshits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

gohmak posted:

Explain. Seems like an anti-choice wet dream.

You miss the part where having her choice denied from her was causing all sorts of psychological trauma?

A pro life message would have been her realizing afterwards that she wanted to keep the baby for some reason.

An outside authoritarian source is forcing her to carry the baby against her will and it is in no way portrayed in a positive light and will likely have even more dire consequences down the line. The parallels aren't subtle. She initally wants to use risky magic because she feels that she can't go with professional help, is prevented from doing it safely, wanted to risk having someone untrained do it, and finally will likely do something rash later when she feels she runs out of options.

It's pretty much textbook "If you don't provide safe readily available abortions to rape victims, they are going to take extreme bodily risks to terminate the pregnancy so they aren't forced to relive their trauma constantly."

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Like, I have no doubt there's some pro-life people somewhere CLAIMING its a pro-life message but its literally a woman desperately wanting an abortion because she was raped by a serial killing demon but she can't because the demon baby forces the abortion doctor to kill herself leading to the woman to explore more dangerous forms of abortion in no small part because she's terrified of what her demon baby might do.

Like I said, I know there are pro-lifers who will claim it because I know some of those nutbags who will twist themselves into knots to try and get something culturally on their side. But at that stage they may as well be calling Rosemary's Baby pro life.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That was Barry Allen's mom performing the abortion.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

It was weird how Quentin's coworker was all like "Hey, I saw you use magic, let's be friends!" and then suddenly "You used magic, I hate you forever!" Like, they were talking about how magic causes bigger problems than it solves, but the fact that he was still using little spells for everyday things was the exact reason she started talking to him in the first place.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

bull3964 posted:

You miss the part where having her choice denied from her was causing all sorts of psychological trauma?

A pro life message would have been her realizing afterwards that she wanted to keep the baby for some reason.

An outside authoritarian source is forcing her to carry the baby against her will and it is in no way portrayed in a positive light and will likely have even more dire consequences down the line. The parallels aren't subtle. She initally wants to use risky magic because she feels that she can't go with professional help, is prevented from doing it safely, wanted to risk having someone untrained do it, and finally will likely do something rash later when she feels she runs out of options.

It's pretty much textbook "If you don't provide safe readily available abortions to rape victims, they are going to take extreme bodily risks to terminate the pregnancy so they aren't forced to relive their trauma constantly."

I really have to give the show credit for handling one of the top 10 topics you don't really touch in fiction. Actually several of them. It's doing a really balanced job of it, too, but man that is a high wire act in particular with how offended people get today.

Bravo for dancing it so well, thus far, though.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Tiggum posted:

It was weird how Quentin's coworker was all like "Hey, I saw you use magic, let's be friends!" and then suddenly "You used magic, I hate you forever!" Like, they were talking about how magic causes bigger problems than it solves, but the fact that he was still using little spells for everyday things was the exact reason she started talking to him in the first place.

The Brakebills Prof said he sent Quentin there. It's entirely possible they have an relationship where they place students in that company.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Rhyno posted:

The Brakebills Prof said he sent Quentin there. It's entirely possible they have an relationship where they place students in that company.

Yeah, but how does that relate to what I was talking about?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Tiggum posted:

Yeah, but how does that relate to what I was talking about?

I thought you meant it was weird that his coworker was aware of magic.

Smashurbanipal
Sep 12, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT BEING A SHITTY POSTER
With all the discussion of choice and agency, you're surprised that his coworker was upset that he magicked her without consent?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Smashurbanipal posted:

With all the discussion of choice and agency, you're surprised that his coworker was upset that he magicked her without consent?

I guess it seemed more like she was upset at him magicking at all, rather than that it was her shirt he magicked.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Tiggum posted:

I guess it seemed more like she was upset at him magicking at all, rather than that it was her shirt he magicked.

Up to there it seemed like she wanted to bitch with him ('co-bitch'?) about magic, as someone who no longer did it and here's a guy who she can actually talk about it with. So yeah, him just idly magicking I can see upsetting her.

But then they go back to her apartment and she magicks him into Mayakovsky and then fucks him. And THEN magicks herself. So I don't know what the gently caress the intent is there anymore.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Rhyno posted:

IIRC, this is a thing in the books. There's a tertiary character (Emily Greenstreet?) that takes a job doing nothing at an investment bank or venture capital firm, it's strongly hinted that it was arranged by Brakebills and that it's not an uncommon arrangement. I don't remember why she did it in the books, though.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Shooting Blanks posted:

IIRC, this is a thing in the books. There's a tertiary character (Emily Greenstreet?) that takes a job doing nothing at an investment bank or venture capital firm, it's strongly hinted that it was arranged by Brakebills and that it's not an uncommon arrangement. I don't remember why she did it in the books, though.

No need to spoiler any of that as that's exactly what happened in the show.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Flatscan posted:

No need to spoiler any of that as that's exactly what happened in the show.
yeah but in the show she's hot like whoa and she keeps coming back

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The implication was that the company was a place that Brakebills regularly sent traumatized magician washouts and there were other companies like it. It makes sense that Brakebills would have connections and place people who they felt some kind of responsibility to so they don't end up alone and desperate. It also means there's probably a couple of people at the company who might be on the lookout for other magicians.

As for her up-and-down reaction to magic I think its safe to say she's still working through her own issues with magic and her traumatic experiences.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

It makes sense that Brakebills would have connections and place people who they felt some kind of responsibility to so they don't end up alone and desperate.
It would make sense, if we hadn't already seen how little of a poo poo they apparently give about Julia.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Julia's not especially relevant to this. For one, she was "supposed" to have her memory erased and know nothing of magic. For two, we know that she was purposely thrown aside and thrown into a desperate situation because Jane hoped it would speed up her learning and change the battle with the Beast.

Since Jane Chatwin isn't personally loving with every student in Brakebills, and since Marina's backstory establishes that if you're at Brakebills long enough they don't erase your memory of magic because it isn't practical, then it stands to reason that they have some kind of simple approach to what you do when your school accidently traumatizes someone and they want to get out.

So "here's a stable job so you aren't desperate and tempted to use magic just to survive" is a simple enough thing to do, considering the school certainly has plenty of powerful alumni with companies they can throw random people into with no real difference made.

Brakebills as an institution may be callous and irresponsible but we've seen that the Dean and professors aren't inherently amoral or uncaring.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

STAC Goat posted:

The implication was that the company was a place that Brakebills regularly sent traumatized magician washouts and there were other companies like it. It makes sense that Brakebills would have connections and place people who they felt some kind of responsibility to so they don't end up alone and desperate. It also means there's probably a couple of people at the company who might be on the lookout for other magicians.

As for her up-and-down reaction to magic I think its safe to say she's still working through her own issues with magic and her traumatic experiences.

I took it as more that Quentin performed unwanted magic on her. Not that he did magic in general. It was like a violation of personal space.

Granted it later all go sideways, but that doesn't excuse Quentin's presumptuousness.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, sure. I think you could argue that she was felt "violated" or that she was simply annoyed at his casual usage or she was just up and down about her emotions due to her own history with it. But I think it all kind of comes back to the fact that she clearly is still dealing (or not dealing) with her own magic problems and he just kind of set her off by doing that (so casually, to her, without asking).

And yeah, never mistake me for sticking up for Quentin. I'm still judging him for leaving Penny unconscious in the middle of a magical forest.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

STAC Goat posted:

Brakebills as an institution may be callous and irresponsible but we've seen that the Dean and professors aren't inherently amoral or uncaring.
I really want to hear more about the backstory of that super-cute instructor who I wanna boop her nose - the one who replied to Fog;'s questions with her xanax dosage. She seems interesting and she's adorable. :allears:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

Julia's not especially relevant to this. For one, she was "supposed" to have her memory erased and know nothing of magic. For two, we know that she was purposely thrown aside and thrown into a desperate situation because Jane hoped it would speed up her learning and change the battle with the Beast.

Since Jane Chatwin isn't personally loving with every student in Brakebills, and since Marina's backstory establishes that if you're at Brakebills long enough they don't erase your memory of magic because it isn't practical, then it stands to reason that they have some kind of simple approach to what you do when your school accidently traumatizes someone and they want to get out.

The way they just totally ignore all the people doing magic without going through any formal education, and don't seem to be planning to do anything about Reynard (or any other magical problems that exist in the outside world) suggests that Brakebills and wizards in general just don't really give a poo poo about anyone but themselves though.

Even giving Quentin and whatsername those jobs seems more like a way to put them out of the way rather than actually helping them. Julia's situation isn't unusual, except that she should actually have passed the entrance exam. Someone who genuinely failed and then somehow remembered magic exists would be in the exact same position she was and no one would do anything about it.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

coyo7e posted:

was rewatching last week's episode and realized that everyone is holding the bow backward. you don't fire an arrow over your forearm dipshits

Watching Archery on TV is a hopeless endeavor.

Your arrows are too short Q. But if you use magic archery i suppose it doesn't count.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Tiggum posted:

The way they just totally ignore all the people doing magic without going through any formal education, and don't seem to be planning to do anything about Reynard (or any other magical problems that exist in the outside world) suggests that Brakebills and wizards in general just don't really give a poo poo about anyone but themselves though.

Even giving Quentin and whatsername those jobs seems more like a way to put them out of the way rather than actually helping them. Julia's situation isn't unusual, except that she should actually have passed the entrance exam. Someone who genuinely failed and then somehow remembered magic exists would be in the exact same position she was and no one would do anything about it.

She did pass the exam though and she always did/had. It's just that this time Jane decided to fail her to see if it would make a difference and it did but now Jane is dead so we're stuck in this timeline where Julia is obviously capable of magic and would have passed with flying colors were it not for Jane.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Boris Galerkin posted:

but now Jane is dead so we're stuck in this timeline

Final episode will be Quentin reversing time back to before Jane dies and telling her off. "Your poo poo didn't work, try something else"

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
The Cock Barrens of Loria is certainly an excellent name.

Snowman Crossing
Dec 4, 2009

The Lorian prince is almost unbelievably bad at acting, holy poo poo where did they find that guy?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Snowman Crossing posted:

The Lorian prince is almost unbelievably bad at acting, holy poo poo where did they find that guy?

Cincinnati.

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000
The impression I got from Prince S is that he's kind of the (Walking Dead) Eugene of the Magicians/Fillory world. Any time he puts on an act it's a pretty awful caricature because he's really just a nerd magician from Cincinnati.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Characters like Prince S and the Cock Barrens make me wonder how many levels of irony I'm supposed to be on to get the best experience.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

This episode makes me wish the entire show, right from the start, had just been "arseholes stumble into not-Narnia and get made its kings and queens" because that's a fantastic premise and instantly made me not give a poo poo about anything else that happened in this episode. I was annoyed every time it cut away to Quentin or Julia. gently caress those guys, you've finally figured out what this show should be.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Characters like Prince S and the Cock Barrens make me wonder how many levels of irony I'm supposed to be on to get the best experience.

It's Narnia for jerks.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tiggum posted:

This episode makes me wish the entire show, right from the start, had just been "arseholes stumble into not-Narnia and get made its kings and queens" because that's a fantastic premise and instantly made me not give a poo poo about anything else that happened in this episode. I was annoyed every time it cut away to Quentin or Julia. gently caress those guys, you've finally figured out what this show should be.

I just wish the .. situation was a bit clearer that last episode. Why did the guards just surrender because they moved their castle? Why did the other people surrender because they moved it back? I was kind of like "What the hell is going on with this?" the whole time.

That said otherwise I totally agree with you. Though next week looks kind of awesome.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
to be fair they were made kings and queens because no one wanted the job since the curse would kill who ever had the title.

its kinda like if trump ran for president, haha not like anything would happen with that.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The curse didn't seem to be any kind of confirmed knowledge. I got the impression the dumb rules of non-Narnia just say only Earth people can be royalty and they hadn't had any regular visitors since the Beast took over.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Blazing Ownager posted:

I just wish the .. situation was a bit clearer that last episode. Why did the guards just surrender because they moved their castle? Why did the other people surrender because they moved it back? I was kind of like "What the hell is going on with this?" the whole time.

That said otherwise I totally agree with you. Though next week looks kind of awesome.
The castle never got moved. They were fooled into thinking it had been, and that they were deep in Prince S's territory, surrounded by a whole population of enemies, a million miles from Fillory territory. Therefore they thought they were hosed. When Penny told them it was only an illusion and they'd never been moved, they realized they weren't hosed.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, it made sense that they thought they were hosed when they landed in some kind of deserted part of an enemy kingdom. Even if they could fight off the soldiers and whatever backup they might have they'd have to journey home. Diplomacy seemed like the better first choice.

And the whole thing was a bluff on the other guys' part so they couldn't fight when the ruse was exposed.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

The curse didn't seem to be any kind of confirmed knowledge. I got the impression the dumb rules of non-Narnia just say only Earth people can be royalty and they hadn't had any regular visitors since the Beast took over.

I thought the same, except that there had been kings and queens in the meantime who'd just kept killing each other because of the curse and the Fillorians just thought they kept only getting paranoid arseholes showing up.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

STAC Goat posted:

And the whole thing was a bluff on the other guys' part so they couldn't fight when the ruse was exposed.

See I get that part; I guess I shouldn't overthink it given they were in a place called the Cock Barrens. I just figured they'd try to resist, and once the deception was found out, I expected them to all be thrown in the dungeon and not a war declared instead. Or both.

That said, a nitpick on a show that's really been consistently drat fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Well Margo just went off and unilaterally declared war. But Margo's a pretty natural loose canon war monger when you think about it.

Tiggum posted:

I thought the same, except that there had been kings and queens in the meantime who'd just kept killing each other because of the curse and the Fillorians just thought they kept only getting paranoid arseholes showing up.

Ah, true. I guess there were randoms over the last couple of centuries or whatever it is in not-Narnia time but they were all too short term to make an impact.

But its also just more of the "not-Narnia" since that was the book thing and they really enjoyed handing over their system to random kids who wandered through wardrobes.