Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
C Supports

I feel like I'm wasting my time even explaining this to you.

The truth is, you're notorious for being a very clumsy person.

To be blunt, I don't trust you.

Hey, it happens to the best of us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Bruceski posted:

Dump Hana
Feed Rinkah

This is my vote.

ohmygorgon
Jul 13, 2016
Drop Saizo

Give the Robe to Rinkah

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Drop Mozu, give the robe to Azura.

I was tempted to vote against Hana, but she only really gets a chance to shine on BR. Mozu's on all routes.

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

ohmygorgon posted:

Drop Saizo

Give the Robe to Rinkah

I endorse this vote.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

For another day for Saizo, and Rinkah could use the robe.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
Drop Felicia and give every single stat-up item to Mozu. Forever.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Azama's the best. His base stats as a healer are about even with Silas who up till this point is probably one of your tankiest units.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
Stick Orochi on the bench.

Give the robe to Rinkah

Aeromancia
Jul 23, 2013

ohmygorgon posted:

Drop Saizo

Give the Robe to Rinkah

Agreed

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Actually, what's a good poll site without ads beecause my old one is dead and ad ded

Wallet Inspector
Jun 15, 2012

Drop Mozu Conquest and especially Revelation are better routes for her, she can sit out Birthright.

Robe for Rinkah she's tanky, but that HP needs help. It's wasted on the likes of Azura, who shouldn't be taking hits anyway.

I assume everyone's dropping Saizo because he's too powerful and will make the game a joke? He's a loving monster who can solo BR almost effortlessly.

Edit: Alternatively, because he's a dick. Which, fair enough.

Wallet Inspector fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Feb 24, 2017

lightace
Jul 13, 2016

Tae posted:

Actually, what's a good poll site without ads beecause my old one is dead and ad ded

strawpoll?

Felicia can sit out this time and give Rinkah the robe so she can get some help being an actual tank

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

CptWedgie posted:

Subaki, maybe you should take a step back and really look at yourself before you continue calling yourself "perfect." You're nowhere near strong enough to solo anything, you're apparently too stupid to consider bringing backup, and you can't even be bothered to keep track of your allies so you don't get isolated. I'd expect that sort of attitude to get you court-martialed in a real military.

Subaki compares interestingly with Cordelia, since they both have the whole "perfect" gimmick going.

It's just Cordelia being perfect meant you got an amazing unit with access to every weapon in the game, whose supports matched up with her reputation. Like, Kellam had nigh-supernatural stealth that no-one understands? Cordelia picks up the knack inside a month. She worked her rear end off to be the best, which made her bad at accepting when people said she was.

Subaki's the opposite. Same reputation, but he constantly talks it up while being a lovely unit and a not impressive person.

Robe for Rinkah, and Ditch Subaki.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Dump Mozu, Drape Rinkah

slink_bot
Aug 1, 2016
Bench Subaki
Seraph Robe to Rinkah

Asator
Oct 21, 2010

I recently replayed this game and was wowed by how useless Hana was. So dump Hana.
And put the Seraph Robe on Rinkah, because she's gonna need it.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

chiasaur11 posted:

Subaki compares interestingly with Cordelia, since they both have the whole "perfect" gimmick going.

It's just Cordelia being perfect meant you got an amazing unit with access to every weapon in the game, whose supports matched up with her reputation. Like, Kellam had nigh-supernatural stealth that no-one understands? Cordelia picks up the knack inside a month. She worked her rear end off to be the best, which made her bad at accepting when people said she was.

Subaki's the opposite. Same reputation, but he constantly talks it up while being a lovely unit and a not impressive person.

Robe for Rinkah, and Ditch Subaki.

Subaki actually has his own complexes (which are revealed in some of his supports, like with Corrin). If I had to pick an Awakening unit to compare him to, it'd be Severa.

Anyway, dump Hana, feed Rinkah. Subaki's actually another potential candidate for the Robe, but there's no way he's going to win here.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Feb 24, 2017

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

slink_bot posted:

Bench Subaki
Seraph Robe to Rinkah

Tsubaki can't even spell his own name right (The localization for several of the names honestly baffles me).

Perfect my rear end.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
First off: Bench Felicia (she and Kaze have enough experience that it'd be a bit of a waste to use them right now, but Kaze has Reasons for consistent deployment) and Robe Rinkah (like I said: good tank if she can get HP). Just make sure Kaze sticks with the Avatar, I say.

Anyway, supports (which I am not convinced Tae isn't unlocking through offscreen Challenges):

Tae posted:

C Supports

I feel like I'm wasting my time even explaining this to you.

Oh sure, blame the victim. REAL endearing there, Hana... (/sarcasm) Really, I'd be able to accept this better if she blamed Nohr instead.

Tae posted:

The truth is, you're notorious for being a very clumsy person.

Felicia is still bad at maid-ing, and Subaki is still nowhere near as perfect as he claims.

Tae posted:

To be blunt, I don't trust you.

Saizo is apparently even more paranoid than his Corrin support shows: Azura was RAISED in Hoshido (by the ROYAL FAMILY no less) and he STILL thinks she might be an enemy. Way to alienate the crowd, man.

Tae posted:

Hey, it happens to the best of us.

Kaze is a very serious man, right down to repaying debts, it seems.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Apply boot to Hana

Apply robe to Corrin

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

ApplesandOranges posted:

Subaki actually has his own complexes (which are revealed in some of his supports, like with Corrin). If I had to pick an Awakening unit to compare him to, it'd be Severa.

Which is quite suitable considering his support options.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Camel Pimp posted:

Drop Felicia and give every single stat-up item to Mozu. Forever.

Voting this.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Saizo's out, Rinkah's getting the robe.

I am dumb with strawpoll, how do you make it have more than 3 choices?

lightace
Jul 13, 2016

Tae posted:

I am dumb with strawpoll, how do you make it have more than 3 choices?

When you fill a box another appears

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Drop Subaki

Robe.... Hana, she needs it the most imo

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Saizo's out for this mission, Rinkah's carrying a Seraph Robe for this mission.

Oh ho! The human mind is weak and malleable. Things change.
Oops.
Setsuna? Have you shrunk about, oh, a foot or so in the last minute?
No. I'm actually sinking in some quicksand.
Mmm? Quicksand at this latitude? How fascinating!
Am I going to die now?
Physically...yes, probably. But your spirit will live on in our memories...
Azama! Why aren't you doing anything to help her? And Setsuna... Why are you so calm? Is this some sort of joke? Gah! I guess I'll have to save you.
Ah. Thank you, milady.
My, my. Lady Hinoka the Hero.
*sigh*

Of course, milady! Although, I am currently without any battle implements, so... I'm afraid I'm at the mercy of your protection.
I think I'm stuck in the quicksand again...
Gods. I knew I couldn't rely on the two of you, but this is worse than I imagined!
Just try and hold it together long enough for us to see this through, all right? Maybe Ryoma and Takumi can help me babysit, once we finally catch up to them...

Just so you know, the royals each have 2 retainers that are basically bodyguards. Except Hinoka. She has two people on weeeeeed.

First order of business is having Corrin use a Dragon Vein to turn sand into regular tiles so I'm not dragging my feet.

Mozu moves in after a Silas poke, and gets to level 5. She gains everything but RES, and noticeably Wind Tribe are much easier than the Faceless for her.

The next turn is bolstering my ranks with three more party members.

I could ask you the same question, Corrin.
Yes, well... A lot has happened. I thought you were in the capital.
Yes, I was. But I decided to try to catch up to Ryoma and Takumi on their way to Izumo.
Ah. Well, it's good that we met up...but I have some bad news. Ryoma and Takumi are missing. We're trying to track them down.
Missing? Oh gods... They are not the sort of men that simply go missing. What has happened to them, Corrin?
We don't know. And we've run into a few problems of our own along the way...
Yes, I can see that. I thought the Wind Tribe was neutral. Why are we fighting?
It's a long story, but I believe that we'll be able to explain ourselves to the chief. Will you join us? We could certainly use a little help.
Of course!
Although, a LITTLE help is about all you'll get from these two...
What do you mean by that?
Never mind... I'm just happy to have you all on our side. Let's do this!

Continuing on, Rinkah assaults a Diviner with Hana's SPD boost and her PSkill kicking in.

I'm getting pretty lucky with hits so far, though I did plan as if I was going to miss.

I should get a voice clip of Setsuna at some point, because she is seriously hiiiiiiiiiiiiigh

Silas and Kaze tag team on an Archer to reduce the threats when the enemy attacks again.

Guard Naginata makes Hinoka virtually impervious to most anything but the boss and Archers. Also it looks really cool, with a big, long shield over the weapon itself.

Some quick kills to start off the new turn.

Hana with some low-risk chip damage, gets rewarded with much needed HP.

The Oni Savages are the only real threats to the party, since they have massive bulk and enough speed that the heavy hitters like Silas with Subaki support can't double him.

You must be Chief Fuga. Please, allow me to explain—
No. You must earn the right to explain. Show me that you fight with honor!

FOR HONOR

Hana was too busy flinging bodies to hear that conversation.

Rinkah's PSkill is so incredibly annoying to get working when you need to, unless you have terrible healers. But then, why would you want a bad healer

Silas takes out another Oni Savage thanks to Kaze's new Steel Shuriken.

Pleasant surprised for more SPD. Despite his growths, SPD was always one of Silas's few weakness.

Did I mention how busted Ninjas are in Fates with their super high speed and guard meter synergy

And this is before Poison Strike

I feel like this is some cruel joke.

Hey, Rinkah is still killing fine. Goes to level 8, gains +HP/MAG/SPD/DEF.

Mozu is going to beat up defenseless Shrine Maidens for practice.

That's....nice, Mozu...?

Setuna joins in on the fun, gets to level 4 for +1 STR/SPD/RES.

Orochi snipes a foe to destroy the pair-up and gets to level 7 for +1 MAG/SKL/DES/RES.

Amusingly enough, The Iron doubles the Samurai but not the Steel. Very minuscule SPD difference.

Everyone's gaining HP and DEF today. Not gonna complain.

I don't know why a club and axe act the exact same in the Fates universe, but I love beating up enemies with a big metal stick.

PSkill: Wind Disciple-When user’s HP is not full, Hit rate and Avoid +10

Fuuga is a promoted unit, specially one of Mozu's promotion options. Their utility is basically weapon triangle control, with A sword and B lance/axe.

As far as Fates bosses go, they tend to have custom selection of skills from any class. Sometimes, they even have abilities that are enemy-only. For this encounter, Fuga's main weakness is not having any 2 range weapon which seems like a weird oversight for Fire Emblem. They usually have one.

edit: Nope, Iron Mace is 1-2. I just cheated and never engaged him in melee until the last blow

Which basically means Orochi sniping like a coward and Azura dancing her to safety.

GOING UP IN THE WORLD, TAKING OUT WORLD LEADERS

Quite impressive...

Mozu's now at a point where she can handle herself without too much assistance, which is important because no one besides Corrin can really solo anyway.

Units Joined

Hinoka

Class sets: Starts as Sky Knight, Spear Fighter
PSkill: Rallying Cry-Allies within a 2 tile radius deal 2 extra damage

Growth Rates
HP: 45
STR: 55
MAG: 15
SKL: 50
SPD: 60
LCK: 60
DEF: 35
RES: 20

Nothing gamebreaking, just an incredibly solid Sky Knight with good growths and a great PSkill. Also comes with a Guard Naginata which makes basically any spear user extremely tanky, so you can possibly give it to Silas to get a second decoy going besides Corrin.

Azama

Class sets: Starts as Monk, Apothecary
PSkill: Divine Retribution-When user doesn’t have a weapon equipped and they sustain damage from an adjacent enemy, the enemy receives half the same damage.

Growth Rates
HP: 55
STR: 55
MAG: 30
SKL: 50
SPD: 60
LCK: 55
DEF: 40
RES: 40

The gently caress are these growths. I think Azama got confused about Monk and didn't realize it was just a male Shrine Maiden instead of a combat class. Because you know what? He has 70+% HP and STR growth as an Apothecary.

Setsuna

Class sets: Starts as Archer, Ninja
PSkill: Optimist-When user is healed by a staff, they recover 1.5 times the normal HP

Growth Rates
HP: 40
STR: 35
MAG: 0
SKL: 45
SPD: 75
LCK: 5
DEF: 25
RES: 40

Setsuna tells Kaze "I'll show you min-maxing speed!" Look, she will double enemies and that is all she will do. What is with that garbage PSkill, she will never have enough HP that it will be relevant. She gets pretty good once she hits level 10 and gains Quick Draw, but that's a long ways away.

Tae fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Feb 25, 2017

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Tae posted:

PSkill: Wind Disciple-When user’s HP is not full, Hit rate and Avoid +10

Fuuga is a promoted unit, specially one of Mozu's promotion options. Their utility is basically weapon triangle control, with A sword and B lance/axe.

As far as Fates bosses go, they tend to have custom selection of skills from any class. Sometimes, they even have abilities that are enemy-only. For this encounter, Fuga's main weakness is not having any 2 range weapon which seems like a weird oversight for Fire Emblem. They usually have one.

The mace he's carrying is 1-2 ranged and enemy only.

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

:krakentoot:
Setsuna is great and besides her PSkill I will not stand for anyone saying otherwise :colbert:

ohmygorgon
Jul 13, 2016

RareAcumen posted:

The mace he's carrying is 1-2 ranged and enemy only.

To add to this, there are enemy only versions of Iron, Steel, and Silver Swords, Lances, and Axes, as well as thier Hosidan counterparts, which have 1-2 range, generally given to stationary bosses to give them a bit of an edge. As well, there are enemy only Iron, Steel, Silver Bows/Yumi that have 1-2 range.

Also, you have Azama's class set listed for Setsuna.

ohmygorgon fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Feb 25, 2017

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

While Hinoka is a good Pegasus Knight (way better than Subaki, though that's not hard to do), I've also found her to be a drat good Spear Fighter as well. Which would be very useful except Hinoka then runs into competition with another Hoshidan unit for that role. Also, the Guard Naginata is probably one of the better naginata weapons, if only for that ludicrous +5 Def/Res. Hinoka can hold her own very well, even if she never gets a fancy weapon like her brothers do.

Which brings to light how underwhelming her two retainers are. Setsuna, while her characterization is hilarious, is probably the worst bow user Birthright offers. Even taking Takumi out of the equation, all other people with bow access will be better than her (note: I've never explored Orochi as an Apothecary, so she could be as bad as Setsuna) due to Setsuna's stats being so lopsided. Sure, she'll be readily doubling opponents, but...that's about it. At least she can be helpful in the castle shops offering discounts towards buying or forging bows. And then there's Azama, who absolutely wants to be in a physical class instead of a magical one. Like, I sort of can see why as the Great Master class offers a big strength bonus on promotion, but it really is not worth the trouble and Sakura or Felicia are way better healer options. Oddly enough, he'd probably make a good Oni Savage choice with that base growth distribution.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
In my Birthright Lunatic experience, Setsuna is pretty good for most of the game because even with her piddly strength growth she always doubles with the second strongest weapon type in the game, plus Quick Draw is effectively damage +8 on her.

Ozdhaka
Oct 20, 2012
I will not be surprised if Hana manages to go through every chapter getting hit by an axe/club at least once from here on out.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
I've never had a Hinoka not turn out amazing. Maybe I'm just biased toward Pegasus Knights, but she's a beast. Add to the fact she has an amazing personal skill and a drat good alt class, she's honestly one of my favorite royal siblings, despite the lack of personal weapon.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Azama's pretty great. He may not have the best magic for a healer, but it's nice having a healer who can stay on the front lines. A lot of people like to change him to another class, but I find if you keep him in his class tree and promote him to Grandmaster he becomes really difficult to kill. He probably has the best overall durability in the game between his solid defense and resistance growths and his amazing HP growth.

Just looking at his growth rates he either ties or beats Hinoka in all areas except for luck and Hinoka is another great unit.

buddychrist10 fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Feb 25, 2017

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yeah, Great Master Azama is pretty great. He'll also pick up Renewal, allowing him to tank for a very long time. It's actually a great class for Subaki to sideline to with some of his support options, since he doesn't really miss flight that much, Renewal gels nicely with his passive, and he appreciates the strength boosts.

Emperordaein
Jul 1, 2013
Looks like Hana has inherited the spirit of Axe Magnet Fir.

Wallet Inspector
Jun 15, 2012

Hinoka is great. A pair up to help her Str and Def is appreciated, but Silas just joined and gives those, and she kicks rear end once that happens. The Guard Naginata is even greater, +5 to Def and Res is amazing and it's one of the best Birthright route weapons (not the best though, I'd say).

Azama suffers from bad base class access. Apothecary is bow-locked, which is always bad, and Monk has no weapon until promotion. Give him one of the path bonus items though, and he shines.

Setsuna... sucks. Her stats are similar to Kaze's with high Spd and Res, but Archer is a significantly worse class than Ninja. Azama and an archer who joins shortly are better bow users than her, and, as someone who doesn't really like Mozu all that much, I think she's better as well. Quick Draw does help her damage, but the others are good without the help, and I don't like bows much in Fire Emblem anyway.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Emperordaein posted:

Looks like Hana has inherited the spirit of Axe Magnet Fir.

Oh speaking of
Are there 'true hit' shenanigans in fates? Tae keeps saying dodge tanking is heavily nerfed in fates but never exactly why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Oh speaking of
Are there 'true hit' shenanigans in fates? Tae keeps saying dodge tanking is heavily nerfed in fates but never exactly why.

Doing some brief searching, it looks like true hit was modified in Fates, yes. The conclusion seems to be there are still two rolls above 50% hit, but only one below. Which means people are still more likely to hit someone when they've got above 50% hit, but also more likely to hit someone when below. For those that didn't make sense to, starting from FE6 the games have rolled 2 random numbers whenever an attack is made, and the average of those two is then compared to the given hit value - if it's lower it is a hit. Since averages of two numbers will always trend towards the mid-point (50), percentages above that number are more likely to hit than indicated, and those below are even less likely to hit than displayed. Switching back to 1 random number when below 50% hit chance means dodge tanking is significantly less safe in this game than most.

Added on to this, Awakening tweaked the Evade formula. In the GBA games the formula was 2 x Spd (okay, 2 x modified due to weapon Spd) + Luk + anything else. Awakening modified that to 1.5 x Spd + 0.5 x Luk + extras, and Fates uses the same formula. That combined with Fates switching to 1 RN below 50% hurts evasive characters from both directions.

• Locked thread