Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

VHS tapes are the only true found footage.

I have a tape that I bought in an estate sale years ago. The label says "[name] birthday 199x" and i dare not watch it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Spatulater bro! posted:

Hmm. Well they shouldn't have music.

Agreed, obviously.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
A found footage movie where the camera operator is followed around by someone with a tape deck that plays perpetually appropriate music.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Better yet, the camera operator constantly attempts to hum or whistle appropriate music.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Magic Hate Ball posted:

A found footage movie where the camera operator is followed around by someone with a tape deck that plays perpetually appropriate music.

A found footage film where the footage is of people filming their Sweded movie.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Snak posted:

Better yet, the camera operator constantly attempts to hum or whistle appropriate music.

better be "This is the RE-Re-remix-ix-xsss" style

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

found footage movie presented as repurposed visuals for a youtube mixtape

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
15 Minutes was ahead of its time.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Powaqoatse posted:

I have a tape that I bought in an estate sale years ago. The label says "[name] birthday 199x" and i dare not watch it

Put on YouTube pls

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Is the movie Mauruders poo poo in a "just an action movie" way or is it a poo poo action movie?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Powaqoatse posted:

What are the odds someone taped Ghostbusters 2 over it?

...unless the name is Sadako, because then you should slam the tape into your microwave instead of a VCR.

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

DeimosRising posted:

Put on YouTube pls

Make the title something like "SHOCKING GHOST FOOTAGE AT BIRTHDAY PARTY (1990s)" and you'll get a bunch of people in the comments saying they saw the ghost at 6:17 or 12:45, complete with red circles on blurry screenshots, and violently insisting that anyone who claims not to see the obvious ghost evidence is lying or a government plant.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
One time, some posted a broken English/autotranslated post in the Ghost in the Shell subreddit featuring a video of a supposed ghost leaving a car wreck. Everyone replied "what does this have to do with Ghost in the Shell, and also this is fake as gently caress" and the op replied by just restating "there is ghost there in the video!" And similar things.

It was pretty funny. That's my story.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

BlindSite posted:

Is the movie Mauruders poo poo in a "just an action movie" way or is it a poo poo action movie?

It's boring and non-sensical and is more of a crime-thriller than action movie anyway. Not enjoyable on any level, IMO.

Also LOL at Adrian Grenier as the least convincing Special Forces badass in film history.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Human Tornada posted:

It's boring and non-sensical and is more of a crime-thriller than action movie anyway. Not enjoyable on any level, IMO.

Also LOL at Adrian Grenier as the least convincing Special Forces badass in film history.

There is no way he's worse than the "Delta" guys in the scifi channel original movie about killer bats. Bats: The Human Harvest, I think it was called.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Snak posted:

There is no way he's worse than the "Delta" guys in the scifi channel original movie about killer bats. Bats: The Human Harvest, I think it was called.

He says the lines OK but Grenier's problem is that he has the face and demeanor of a person who's never faced an obstacle or worked a day in his life.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

How is it that there are 15 sequels to the 1988 film Witchcraft, three of which were released last year?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Witchcraft_(1988_film)

I guess number five was a Troma production that has Julie Strain.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I watched the first Ip Man movie tonight and something I was kind of confused about was how exactly did he have any money pre-war? They mention later in the film that he's never had a job before and he doesn't seem to have any source of income.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

muscles like this! posted:

I watched the first Ip Man movie tonight and something I was kind of confused about was how exactly did he have any money pre-war? They mention later in the film that he's never had a job before and he doesn't seem to have any source of income.

He was born into wealth.

Although in real life "never had a job" wasn't quite true. He worked as a policeman in Foshan, but that's missed out the biopic.

Cerv fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Feb 26, 2017

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I watched Hacksaw Ridge the other day and it got me thinking about large battle scenes in movies. How are largely dialog-free, action-heavy portions of films dealt with in the script? There's definitely a narrative to the sequences of events in Hacksaw Ridge and other movies, but you could narrow down like half an hour of that movie to a bullet pointed list. At that point does a writer just leave it up to the storyboard artist?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Precambrian posted:

Make the title something like "SHOCKING GHOST FOOTAGE AT BIRTHDAY PARTY (1990s)" and you'll get a bunch of people in the comments saying they saw the ghost at 6:17 or 12:45, complete with red circles on blurry screenshots, and violently insisting that anyone who claims not to see the obvious ghost evidence is lying or a government plant.

Hah that's a pretty good idea!

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Why does Logan look like its about Mel Gibson?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Tenzarin posted:

ozzy convict genes

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Tenzarin posted:

prosopagnosia?

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Are there multiple cuts of The Unknown (1927)? The version I watched ran 50 minutes, but it's listed many places as 63 minutes. Seems like a big discrepancy if it's just a frame rate difference.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Spatulater bro! posted:

Are there multiple cuts of The Unknown (1927)? The version I watched ran 50 minutes, but it's listed many places as 63 minutes. Seems like a big discrepancy if it's just a frame rate difference.

That would be pretty much the exact difference if you played a 24fps video at 30 or a 20 fps video at 24.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Baron von Eevl posted:

That would be pretty much the exact difference if you played a 24fps video at 30 or a 20 fps video at 24.

Oh. Hmm. I guess that explains it then.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

muscles like this! posted:

As was mentioned, he wasn't born penniless. I don't recall what exactly but his family wealth was probably based off of mercenary or military work, protecting merchant caravans with secret martial arts techniques was apparently super good work if you could handle it, until things settled down enough that mercenarying wasn't as necessary - then it became an honor and lineage thing where students practised and helped donate to the school/master/etc. iirc this was the case with xingyi or baguazhang as well.

Ip's financial struggles on-screen are really more symbolic of chinese martial arts' struggle to be preserved and remain popular, in a lot of cases though.

I can't explain to you what Mike Tyson was in Ip Man 3 for, although it was probably because he happened to be vacationing and was in the area and someone who didn't even know who he was, grabbed him off the street and asked him to come star in a movie/show and he rolled with it.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Spatulater bro! posted:

It was a lost film for years, but an incomplete 35mm print was found in France at some point. So, that print likely had missing footage. I know there's at least one part where there's a huge continuity jump that sticks out. Notice how the existing version has modern-looking credits and title cards since it was re-translated from French.

There's apparently 9.5mm/16mm prints with more footage, but I doubt The Unknown is a high priority for a more complete restoration.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Egbert Souse posted:

I know there's at least one part where there's a huge continuity jump that sticks out.

Are you talking about from the visit to the doctor to the next scene where he's already armless?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Spatulater bro! posted:

Are you talking about from the visit to the doctor to the next scene where he's already armless?

It's earlier in the film. I recall it jumps from Joan Crawford's character walking around outside, then a title card, then she's suddenly speaking to someone inside a cabin. Whether it's just an odd bit of editing or missing footage, I don't know.

Wikipedia says most of the missing footage is in the early part of the film.

Funny story: It was lost for years mainly because French film cans were marked "Unknown" in French, as if it was unidentified footage.

(Also, footage finally surfaced from London After Midnight, but it's only two frames from a trailer)

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Can you folks recommend some good Gil Birmingham movies where he has a decently-sized role? He's good in Hell or High Water, and the only other things I've seen/heard him in are Veronica Mars, Rango, and Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Detective Thompson posted:

Can you folks recommend some good Gil Birmingham movies where he has a decently-sized role? He's good in Hell or High Water, and the only other things I've seen/heard him in are Veronica Mars, Rango, and Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt.

I haven't seen 'em, but he's apparently in most of Twilight films.

doodlebugs
Feb 18, 2015

by Lowtax

Penpal posted:

Can anyone name any movies that use a diegetic soundtrack at any point? The one that comes to my mind is the Zatooichi live action that came out a while ago. You would see a telephoto establishing shot and hear the beat, and the camera would then slowly pan down to reveal the music was a group of rice farmers, and then start trickling in more instrumentation. Specifically not radios/speakers in the film

The movie Twisted Nerve has its theme music on the soundtrack, whistled by the main character as well as a 60s pop version on the radio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4QiCD_MZQk

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Some reviews of American Honey mention that Star was sexually abused by a family member (her father maybe) in the past. Does anyone remember how this was revealed?

In John Carpenter's The Thing, is the alien eating people and making replicas of them or just inhabiting their bodies, or is the movie ambiguous about this?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Human Tornada posted:

In John Carpenter's The Thing, is the alien eating people and making replicas of them or just inhabiting their bodies, or is the movie ambiguous about this?

It seems to "infect" and take-over biological matter at a cellular level. We don't really see it grow or duplicated outside of reaction to trauma. So kind of both? I think it is eating people and making replicas of them, but on a cellular level a not like, shoving bodies into it's mouth and making clones or something.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Human Tornada posted:

Some reviews of American Honey mention that Star was sexually abused by a family member (her father maybe) in the past. Does anyone remember how this was revealed?

I always read it as just being some sort of amorphous intelligent DNA thing that would assimilate and then extrude whatever it really felt like. Also instinctive/genetic memory and all that, or maybe esp. It seemed to lose biomass and/or DNA though, which is why we didn't get an army of the first dude just grabbing everybody, and why only a puppers got away

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe

Human Tornada posted:

After the initial grocery store scenes, when she goes home, it happens on-screen; her father is drunk and angry, dances with her, tries to do things, and the way the scene is played out it's obvious that this is not the first time.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

Snak posted:

It seems to "infect" and take-over biological matter at a cellular level. We don't really see it grow or duplicated outside of reaction to trauma. So kind of both? I think it is eating people and making replicas of them, but on a cellular level a not like, shoving bodies into it's mouth and making clones or something.

Yeah, we have the scene where Dr. Blair runs the simulation on his computer, with the alien cell reaching out and grabbing a normal cell, pulling it in, then pushing a clone cell back out. So in a way, it does consume the original host, but not so much in a sense that it's doing it for sustenance or whatever (though maybe it does in the process, but that doesn't seem to be the goal), but it needs to replicate the host and simultaneously destroy it, cell by cell. It does it quickly enough, as it can double its numbers in the host body each time it replicates, but it still takes some time since it its doing it cell by cell. The monster they find at the Norwegian camp has two heads split in half, one the original human, the other the replica. I think it's a probably a pretty good visual example of how it works, that each version exists for a moment in time, until the alien clone fully emerges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Detective Thompson posted:

Yeah, we have the scene where Dr. Blair runs the simulation on his computer, with the alien cell reaching out and grabbing a normal cell, pulling it in, then pushing a clone cell back out. So in a way, it does consume the original host, but not so much in a sense that it's doing it for sustenance or whatever (though maybe it does in the process, but that doesn't seem to be the goal), but it needs to replicate the host and simultaneously destroy it, cell by cell. It does it quickly enough, as it can double its numbers in the host body each time it replicates, but it still takes some time since it its doing it cell by cell. The monster they find at the Norwegian camp has two heads split in half, one the original human, the other the replica. I think it's a probably a pretty good visual example of how it works, that each version exists for a moment in time, until the alien clone fully emerges.

yeah, that's all true, my point is that it's not really increasing biomass at all. "Making Clones/Duplicates" kind of implies that it would be able to, and I was just trying to be clear that its method of replication more or less conserves biomass.