Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Bar Crow posted:

As I understand it, it depends on the type of fiber. Synthetic fibers will more likely decompose into adhesive compounds which will keep heat in close contact with your skin. Natural fibers are recommended if you are going to be around open flame.

This. I took a semester of glass blowing in college and they told us to wear 100% cotton clothes. If you brush a red-hot blowrod against a cotton t-shirt usually nothing happens. Do the same thing to polyester and it melts onto your skin :gonk:

Platystemon posted:

I would imagine that asbestos clothing would be itchy as hell.

Just remain damp at all times, if it's not friable it's not dangerous :eng101:

vvv Jokes on you, those are dry and there's basket just below frame, he's helping!

Takes No Damage has a new favorite as of 05:21 on Feb 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
http://i.imgur.com/6U4amVs.gifv

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Wool is considered flame retardant, and used to (is?) be worn for firefighting.

ductonius
Apr 9, 2007
I heard there's a cream for that...

doverhog posted:

Wool is considered flame retardant, and used to (is?) be worn for firefighting.

Wool stops burning when the source of heat is removed. It is the 100% best fibre to wear if you're going to be in a position where your clothes might catch on fire. Other natural fibres will continue burning but won't melt to your skin like synthetics will.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Wool also keeps like 80% or so of its insulation properties when wet. Also naturally breathable, moisture wicking, temperature regulating, and odor resistant. Just wear all wool all the time.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
lol if you don’t wear camel hair

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
What do they even make fire blankets out of these days?

E: Oh. Right. Google.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos
I do reenactment and you're not supposed to wear clothes with man-made fibers, such as tights, around campfires because if you get too close or fall in the fabric will melt onto your skin and burn you terribly. Wool is best of course, but I've flame-tested linen and it doesn't like to burn either. Based on the time my mom's cotton terry robe caught fire from a candle, cotton fuzz can burn so quickly that the fabric itself doesn't have time to catch fire.

On a lighter note, a friend of mine who also reenacts once saw a guy get too close to a campfire and his wool coat started falling apart because it was sewn with polyester thread. An interesting striptease.

Elohssa Gib
Aug 30, 2006

Easily Amused

Volcott posted:

What do they even make fire blankets out of these days?

E: Oh. Right. Google.

How do you make a google blanket?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

trickybiscuits posted:

I do reenactment and you're not supposed to wear clothes with man-made fibers, such as tights, around campfires because if you get too close or fall in the fabric will melt onto your skin and burn you terribly. Wool is best of course, but I've flame-tested linen and it doesn't like to burn either. Based on the time my mom's cotton terry robe caught fire from a candle, cotton fuzz can burn so quickly that the fabric itself doesn't have time to catch fire.

On a lighter note, a friend of mine who also reenacts once saw a guy get too close to a campfire and his wool coat started falling apart because it was sewn with polyester thread. An interesting striptease.

i like how on these forums you're more likely to hear someone talking about having a campfire because they were doing a historical reenactment than because they were just fuckin camping

acejackson42
Mar 27, 2005

You didn't say what I think you said...
I write about and cover local sports for a living and tonight I saw one of the most ridiculous immediate 'hockey gods intervene' losses I have ever seen in 20-plus years on the job.
Puck is cleared into the home team's end. Home team goalie goes to clear the puck, fires it around the boards where it's kept in by a defenceman. As the goalie scrambles to get back in position, a Visiting forward circles around behind him on his way to behind the net.
Now get this:
In spite of the obvious lack of contact in any way shape or form between the goalie and the player who skated past him, the goalie dives like he had his skate taken out from under him. Only when he dove, the Visiting player was well, well past him. No penalty because seriously, WTF Greg Louganis?
Oh, did I mention it was overtime in the first game of the playoffs? Forgot to bring that up.
The puck gets to the guy behind the net who whips a pass back out to the point... who scores easily into the empty net for the OT win because Divey McDiverson couldn't get back in position because he dove. Had he reacted the right way, he wouldn't have even had to scramble, he'd have been back with ease.
The team was in an uproar and pissed off and screaming about the 'penalty' that 'wasn't called'. Gonna guess team chemistry is going to take a hit once they review video at the next practice and see what really happened...
I effing hate, HATE diving in hockey. That it created a crippling loss in a crucial game is as schadenfreude as it comes, even if it was the team I cover.

acejackson42 has a new favorite as of 08:51 on Feb 25, 2017

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Sagebrush posted:

i like how on these forums you're more likely to hear someone talking about having a campfire because they were doing a historical reenactment than because they were just fuckin camping

Campers are taught proper fire safety.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Sagebrush posted:

fuckin lol

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Elohssa Gib posted:

How do you make a google blanket?

/shrug

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

FogHelmut posted:

Wool also keeps like 80% or so of its insulation properties when wet. Also naturally breathable, moisture wicking, temperature regulating, and odor resistant. Just wear all wool all the time.

my personal schade itt rn is being allergic to lanolin, wool socks give me welts that feel like a thousand needles are poking them

the freude is that poly/nylon exists in tyhe thin sliver of human history we inhabit and also I don't know any better

that's how you »schadenfreude« benutzen, right?

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

acejackson42 posted:

I write about and cover local sports for a living and tonight I saw one of the most ridiculous immediate 'hockey gods intervene' losses I have ever seen in 20-plus years on the job.
Puck is cleared into the home team's end. Home team goalie goes to clear the puck, fires it around the boards where it's kept in by a defenceman. As the goalie scrambles to get back in position, a Visiting forward circles around behind him on his way to behind the net.
Now get this:
In spite of the obvious lack of contact in any way shape or form between the goalie and the player who skated past him, the goalie dives like he had his skate taken out from under him. Only when he dove, the Visiting player was well, well past him. No penalty because seriously, WTF Greg Louganis?
Oh, did I mention it was overtime in the first game of the playoffs? Forgot to bring that up.
The puck gets to the guy behind the net who whips a pass back out to the point... who scores easily into the empty net for the OT win because Divey McDiverson couldn't get back in position because he dove. Had he reacted the right way, he wouldn't have even had to scramble, he'd have been back with ease.
The team was in an uproar and pissed off and screaming about the 'penalty' that 'wasn't called'. Gonna guess team chemistry is going to take a hit once they review video at the next practice and see what really happened...
I effing hate, HATE diving in hockey. That it created a crippling loss in a crucial game is as schadenfreude as it comes, even if it was the team I cover.

what

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I don't know hockey, but I think it's "home team goalie dived out like a dumbass for a really obvious feint and lost the game"?

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Regalingualius posted:

I don't know hockey, but I think it's "home team goalie dived out like a dumbass for a really obvious feint and lost the game"?

not quite- the goalie literally did a soccer 'dive' trying to get a penalty by making it look like an opponent tripped them, which was apparently blatantly obviously fake, and then couldn't get back to the net in time.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Goalie was trying to draw a penalty by diving. It was so obvious that he was diving that the refs were like, yeah, nah. Because it was in overtime any goal ends the game. So he tried to cheat to win and ended up losing the game for his team. A playoff game, to boot.

Diving in hockey is a very big no no. In the NHL they fine players for diving and used to post names of divers league wide so players can exact vigilante justice refs can look out for it.

E: here's a player, kovalev, feigning an injury to try and get a call from the ref. Ref was like, nah, gently caress you, and... well, it didn't end well for kovalev and his team. Also OT in the playoffs.

Cocaine Bear has a new favorite as of 10:13 on Feb 25, 2017

acejackson42
Mar 27, 2005

You didn't say what I think you said...

JoelJoel posted:

Goalie was trying to draw a penalty by diving. It was so obvious that he was diving that the refs were like, yeah, nah. Because it was in overtime any goal ends the game. So he tried to cheat to win and ended up losing the game for his team. A playoff game, to boot.

Diving in hockey is a very big no no. In the NHL they fine players for diving and used to post names of divers league wide so players can exact vigilante justice refs can look out for it.

E: here's a player, kovalev, feigning an injury to try and get a call from the ref. Ref was like, nah, gently caress you, and... well, it didn't end well for kovalev and his team. Also OT in the playoffs.

Yep. It was so bad that both of the other media guys in the press box just started laughing when the goal was scored and the goalie and his teammates half-heartedly protested... like they knew exactly what happened but the idiots in the crowd were screaming for blood so they had to react but couldn't bring themselves to REALLY complain.
The Home team's coach didn't even call the refs over or react with anger. It was that bad and that blatant, to the point that even trying to argue it would be embarrassing.
Just remarkable.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
So I read all of that, but the real question is - did the sister enjoy being weighed underwater?

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

nerdz posted:

Among other things, missing checkpoint chip data, suspicious splits (going fast in areas that you should be slow like steep inclines) and, absurdly enough, arriving at the finish line with different clothing since he started the race

found it: http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2012/08/06/marathon-man

After reading that, I'm totally on Kip's side.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

acejackson42 posted:

Now get this:

Was this the UMaine/Northeastern game? Because I was listening to that game on the radio and it sounded like something similar happened. The color commentary guy thought it was a trip, but the play-by-play guy thought it was a dive (it being a UMaine broadcast, he didn't say it quite that bluntly though). UMaine lost in OT a few minutes later and the play-by-play guy said flatly, "And the Hockey Gods hand UMaine a loss here."

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

acejackson42 posted:

Now get this:

Ha HA! Sounds like some krazy hi-jinx at the old Sports-Plex tonight.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

The post was funny and I love getting schadenfreude from all the goons that trip over each other to Kramer the gently caress into the thread to scream "I DON'T GET SPORTS" the loudest every time something more complicated than tripping at the finish line of a race comes up.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Almost as funny as people that follow a 700+ page thread and still don't have a firm grasp on what "schadenfreude" means.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Almost as funny as people that follow a 700+ page thread and still don't have a firm grasp on what "schadenfreude" means.

y'know if you do a good enough job educating posters having a good time jawing over hockey stories with your superior edified notions, teacher might notice and give you funbux for the class store

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I do, thanks. Just because you're not aware that you're owning yourself doesn't mean it's not funny.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

My favorite forums schadenfreude was when that guy didn't know the Confirmed Bachelor perk in Fallout: New Vegas meant "you get gay dialogue options" and freaked out when he took it.

wonder whatever happened to that guy

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Alaois posted:

My favorite forums schadenfreude was when that guy didn't know the Confirmed Bachelor perk in Fallout: New Vegas meant "you get gay dialogue options" and freaked out when he took it.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Alaois posted:

This was apparently super common somehow. My favorite was the game's lead designer (and SA forums member rope kid) commenting on all the confusion

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
What did they think it did? :psyduck:

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

Sunswipe posted:

After reading that, I'm totally on Kip's side.

Me too. I kinda hope he's just a ridiculously fast weird guy.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Platystemon posted:

I remember him saying he wanted to bro out or something like that with Boone. He thought it was gonna be like someone that was no ladies' man, who was dedicated to being single and super masculine.

Just a couple of dudes, going camping in the mountains, guzzling some buds.

He was genuinely surprised by all the innuendo and wondered why the devs made him gay, as I recall.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

its kind of rad that we live in an era where a euphemism for 'gay fella' is so unnecessary that lots of people don't know it

...except I guess the dudes most upset by that probably used a term way shittier than 'fella'

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

HPanda posted:

He was genuinely surprised by all the innuendo and wondered why the devs made him gay, as I recall.

It's kind of an interesting design choice that being able to act on one's sexual orientation is a perk in the Falloutverse. Bisexual characters just have to take two perks.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Somfin posted:

It's kind of an interesting design choice that being able to act on one's sexual orientation is a perk in the Falloutverse. Bisexual characters just have to take two perks.

It's a hell of a lot better than how many games handle it, especially in not treating it like a big deal.

E: Wait, Christ, this is the Schadenfreude thread?

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

AlphaKretin posted:

E: Wait, Christ, this is the Schadenfreude thread?

just taking a lil freudebreak before the schadenstorm

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Platystemon posted:

Probably took it as to mean "Can't get laid" rather than "lays with dudes"

Also, Confirmed Bachelor: Because gay people can't get married?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Let's not start down that rabbit hole. No matter how Bethesda approached it, someone would find something to bitch about.