Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Djarum posted:

Actually I did a TON of testing a few years ago on this. There is absolutely no difference on what speed you burn discs on for reading them on a Saturn or any other disc based system. Maybe 20 years ago when we had slow 300 MHz machines with awful IDE burners with no underpin protection but any computer made in the last 10ish years you should have no problems at all.

Just burn stuff as fast as they will go, it is fine.

There's a difference: attempting to force burning at speeds that are too slow will result in failed or flaky burns on many media/drive combos, because the dyes inside are calibrated to work best with the heat output you get from certain burning speeds. Lots of modern CD-Rs should be burned at 4x minimum. You should always burn discs at the speed ranges marked on the package to avoid this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uugengiven
Aug 21, 2007
Shows on the bear where you touched him
Is anyone in here planning on hitting up ReplayFX this year (or even know it exists?). They don't have a lot to buy, only a handful of retro vendors, but they have some pinball/arcade games that don't exist anywhere else in their real form, along with consoles from Coleco Vision and up. This thread started just after the last one ended and I didn't see anyone talk about it early on.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
what CD drive has supported writing at 1x in the last 10 years anyway? Doesn't it always just do what it wants regardless, which is likely something like 8x minimum? I realize it may give you that choice, but does it really do it (ie take 60 minutes)?

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Does anybody remember ever seeing a licensed Super Nintendo arcade cabinet? There was one at a nearby Burger King growing up. It had 3 console launch titles (SMW, F-Zero, Pilotwings) and oversized arcade-quality controllers.

I'm trying to find any info on it, but either my google-fu is weak or this was extremely obscure.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

shyduck posted:

Does anybody remember ever seeing a licensed Super Nintendo arcade cabinet? There was one at a nearby Burger King growing up. It had 3 console launch titles (SMW, F-Zero, Pilotwings) and oversized arcade-quality controllers.

I'm trying to find any info on it, but either my google-fu is weak or this was extremely obscure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmAUgXq3gsQ

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_Super_System
http://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=8894

Discount Viscount fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Feb 25, 2017

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
I finally got to play a Super System at MAGFest this year. They're weird and cool but oh man the controller. On the one hand it's loving rad because it's just a giant microswitched SNES controller, but on the otherhand it's an uncomfortable nightmare because it's a GIANT angular locked-in-place SNES controller. Didn't stop me from playing through all of Knight League in F-Zero though.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Wamdoodle posted:

I pick him too :shobon: In the original games I liked playing as Saturn Dyer tho because he was a goofy looking alien with kick rear end plasma yo-yos.

Star Gladiator is just a fun bad game no matter what. I don't have my hard copy anymore, but I did get it on the Japanese PS3 store several years ago.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Heh, Funstock Retro blocked me on Twitter because I called those ATGames Mega Drive plug & play things "abominable shitboxes" (after they linked this dumb article). I'm not sure how I ended up following them in the first place so nothing of value was lost, but I'd say that's just a bit of an overreaction. I suppose they're making bank selling those lovely ATGames boxes to idiots for £50 a pop, so no negativity about those things is allowed.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

haha that article lists "obsessing over quality" as a bad thing

e: holy poo poo that reeks of paid content with this paragraph

quote:

The Mega Drive costs just £50

Unlike Nintendo’s new NES Classic Mini, the Sega Ultimate Classic is available to buy today. No waiting. No stock shortages. Today!

Yes, they’re both priced the same at a very reasonable £49.99, but what sets the Classic apart is that it comes with 80 built-in games. 50 more than Nintendo’s device. That’s all your favourite titles like Sonic, Golden Axe and Shinobi, plus an integrated cartridge slot so you can play original games too. By all means you could try sourcing the original hardware and games but be warned, it’ll cost significantly more.

d0s fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Feb 25, 2017

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

quote:

It made gaming fun for adults
[...]
Titles like Mortal Kombat uniquely featured uncensored blood and gore

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

imagine going back in time to the moment you're having a console war argument with another idiot 10 year old and telling yourself IN THE FUTURE PEOPLE GET PAID TO DO THIS and the president is donald j trump

d0s fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Feb 25, 2017

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

i;m a mature adult, who gets paid to write about what game system is totally the bestest. BLAST PROSSESSING BEYOTCH give me money

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Not that I need convincing on how bad those things are since I see them in the broken returns bin at work, but is there a comparison between a real Genesis and that piece of poo poo?

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

who am i kidding it's 2017 that article was probably generated by a perl script in bangalore

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Rirse posted:

Not that I need convincing on how bad those things are since I see them in the broken returns bin at work, but is there a comparison between a real Genesis and that piece of poo poo?
There probably are comparison videos on youtube, but the gist of it is that the sound emulation on the ATGames boxes is loving horrible, original carts barely work on them, and they only support composite video. Totally comparable to the NES Classic! :downs:

edit: yes the NES Classic has its own issues with emulation but come on now

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

of course that british perl script likes the genesis it had the most ports of grotesque amiga mascot games

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
This nerdy dude (channel is actually great) reviewed some of those PnP consoles, a few of them are actually quite interesting, like the c64 one that actually is a c64:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esQNEvcHVuM

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

british people have the biggest boner for the genesis because it was the first time they ever saw arcade ports that weren't made by 14 year olds for a lead platform with 4 colors then ported up to everything else

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Rirse posted:

Listen to this. Don't read the description or anything, just sit for 40 seconds and ask yourself which segment sounded like you think it should sound and what sounded like ear bleeding garbage.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I mean, I love the genesis. it's one of my favorite systems ever but it has this particular kind of fan who is still console warrioring 30 years later with the same NINTEN$O EVIL EMPIRE KIDDIE poo poo and it's almost always someone from the UK. whenever I read words by these people my mind always hears them in kim justice's voice

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

falz posted:

what CD drive has supported writing at 1x in the last 10 years anyway? Doesn't it always just do what it wants regardless, which is likely something like 8x minimum? I realize it may give you that choice, but does it really do it (ie take 60 minutes)?

Most do just take commands to burn at 1x and then burn at the slowest safe speed anyway, but plenty others will try to go ahead and actually burn at 1x if your software tells it to. A thing to remember is that a lot of people haven't actually bought a new burner in 10+ years, after all. Point is, just burn at normal speeds, it's what your disc and burner are best at.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Is that game like at all possible to play without knowing any Japanese or no? Might be a fun thing to Stream sometime...

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Light Gun Man posted:

Is that game like at all possible to play without knowing any Japanese or no? Might be a fun thing to Stream sometime...

If you want to actually get anywhere in the game portions of it, not really. It's mainly a management game where you teach the bear to sing and write the songs (or at least have choices regarding some of the lyrics). The voice of the bear is synthesized.

That said, if you just want to show people crazy PS2 vocaloid enka bear, then you can push through. I'd do it once or twice before trying to show someone on stream, though.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

The Coke polar bear has fallen on some hard times.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Quiet Feet posted:

The Coke polar bear has fallen on some hard times.

The Coke polar bear became the Coca polar bear :ohdear:.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
"Now I know y'all be lovin' this poo poo right here..."

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!
Isn't that ATGames Genesis full of like 50 or so homebrew games no one wants to play also?

E: I was close. 40 Homebrew games.

Mace Bacon fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Feb 25, 2017

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

d0s posted:

I mean, I love the genesis. it's one of my favorite systems ever but it has this particular kind of fan who is still console warrioring 30 years later with the same NINTEN$O EVIL EMPIRE KIDDIE poo poo and it's almost always someone from the UK. whenever I read words by these people my mind always hears them in kim justice's voice

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Finally got around to removing the clock capacitor from my original Xbox, so now it's no longer a ticking time bomb. Shame it's still a PAL Xbox so it doesn't do component :eng99:

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

al-azad posted:

Listen to this. Don't read the description or anything, just sit for 40 seconds and ask yourself which segment sounded like you think it should sound and what sounded like ear bleeding garbage.

Here's a similar video that's just a bunch of games being played off an SD card.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3awQgqIEOQ

Jadius
May 12, 2001

FISSION MAILED!
I hope this isn't too :filez:ey to ask, but is there any way to resurrect a modchipped OG Xbox with essentially no access to the original hard drive and also without a backup of the files that were originally on that hard drive? I tried to upgrade the hard drive in my Xbox while pretty much falling down drunk several months ago and it was about as much of a disaster as that description deserves. As it stands right now I've got an Xbox with a Matrix no solder modchip correctly placed and two blank IDE hard drives. Is there some sort of a recovery CD/DVD that I could burn that would allow me to format the hard drive correctly and install all of the files necessary to make it run? I've had Steel Battalion sitting unplayed in a closet for months now because I decided to make a bunch of really stupid choices with a bottle of bourbon.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

d0s posted:

Some Sega fans refuse to accept that the last twenty years happened. They desperately want Sega to be a vital, defining force in the game industry, and for them Sega only lost console battles, not the war.

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/DanielThomasMacInnes/20120520/170635/Come_Back_Sega_Release_the_SuperSystem.php

One example from a few years ago: a guy convinces himself that Sega should make a new console full of classic games, and everyone will flock to it instead of just emulating those old games or buying the eShop/PSN/Steam versions for the price of a Subway footlong.

I'm sure you could find similarly deluded fans of the TurboGrafx or the Lynx, but this phenomenon really takes root among Sega folk. It's like UK Resistance, only it's not a joke.

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

CHARIZARD used SMOKESCREEN
It doesn't affect GEORDI THE BLASTOISE!
As long as it isn't a 1.6 and you can load homebrew off disk with the modchip you can flash the TSOP and it won't care about HDD keys anymore.

Actually anyone with a flashable xbox should do this for future proofing reasons.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Sega should instead just get M2 to port all of their notable games to something other than the 3DS.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Does Sega do anything other than Sonic anymore? Last I heard Sonic was only really consumed by rabid fans and doesn’t appeal to anyone else.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Sega's mostly just a publisher in the US, though they've decided we deserve the Yakuza games all of a sudden. They still make Puyo Puyo games, Phantasy Star Online, they help with the DOA5 stuff, and they publish the Total War games.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Kid Fenris posted:

One example from a few years ago: a guy convinces himself that Sega should make a new console full of classic games, and everyone will flock to it instead of just emulating those old games or buying the eShop/PSN/Steam versions for the price of a Subway footlong.

Of course Sega actually did license their games out for just such a thing. And it did okay, I guess, but those Sega emulator boxes weren't exactly flying off the shelves.

Casimir Radon posted:

Does Sega do anything other than Sonic anymore? Last I heard Sonic was only really consumed by rabid fans and doesn’t appeal to anyone else.

They also have the Yakuza series.

More seriously, Sega had been a pretty solid publisher a few years ago but the general slump in the industry that has been warping things lately has pushed them down to the point that they're essentially just publishing a few major lines. Which now that I think of it sums up the the major video game publishers in the 2010's.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Sega is a great publisher. They own Atlus, still doing Yakuza, and Total War series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
I built a Legend of Valkyrie kit based on the Namco game. :allears:

https://twitter.com/sacaitlin/status/835345959089471489

• Locked thread