Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

In the papers here they were saying he was probably going to be suspended when the full accident report came out. However it has been delayed and delayed due to workload issues at the Australian civil aviation authority. I think they said the near miss was because a positioning device in the cockpit was not functional meaning he got closer to the other craft than he should have without getting a warning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

Varkk posted:

In the papers here they were saying he was probably going to be suspended when the full accident report came out. However it has been delayed and delayed due to workload issues at the Australian civil aviation authority. I think they said the near miss was because a positioning device in the cockpit was not functional meaning he got closer to the other craft than he should have without getting a warning.

They also state in the news.com.au article I posted that he landed after the near miss after coming the wrong way down a runway due to really terrible visibility issues. So if he was "flying blind" and an instrument failed then a near miss would have been unavoidable. I was listening to the most recent episode of the Giant Bombcast wherein Drew outlined some of his experiences learning to fly. He commented that in small planes, all the gear is as basic as it legally can be. He described having to recalibrate the on-board compass with one of those floating compasses they use on a boats, and how if you moved the dial incorrectly then it was entirely possible for the compass to get "stuck" and be useless for the rest of the flight.

I didn't really express this in my first post, what unnerves me the most about this incident is because the concept of having a close shave with death, then doing the same thing again and dying from it kind of freaks me out.* I am not a believer in fate or whatever, but jesus gently caress how do you step back into a small plane like that and keep doing your job after an incident like that? I know that the two incidents are completely unrelated and the pilots competence has little to do with catastrophic engine failure but like YOU WERE WARNED, man. Before anybody feels the need to point it out, yes I know this is stupid. I am not afraid of flying, but I am terrified at the idea of flying on anything smaller than 50 seater twin turbine plane (Or anything with GARUDA on the side).

*Curiously, I think this is the aspect that has me following extreme mountain climbing now. A lot of climbers have a lot of close shaves, keep pushing and have long and healthy careers. Then there are the others who try K2 for the first time and get mushed by a Serac. Climbers who see friends die and keep going back to it unnerve the hell out of me. YOU WERE WARNED, man. The mountains hunger, and all gifts are accepted by Chomolungma.

Whitlam posted:

(This isn't an attack on you, paramecium, more a criticism of how the media reports on accidents.)

All good Whitlam, News.com.au are especially sensationalist. Better than the Telegraph/Australian but not by much.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.
Personally I'm terrified of flying, and a small charter plane is my second greatest fear, after helicopters. I can't tell if I watch Air Crash Investigations out of terrified fascination, or for a slight sense of vindication. Probably both.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i am a helicopter and can confirm i crave the meat of men

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Avshalom posted:

:same:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Avshalom posted:

I knew it!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Avshalom posted:

i appreciate your attempt on farage, sorry it didn't pan out

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

I've probably almost died/killed someone a dozen times in my car and I keep driving it. Just yesterday I was driving down the road and there was some kid bouncing her soccer ball on the road, and I went to myself "well I know how this ends, it bounces into the road right in front of my car and she runs out to try to grab it" so I cheated towards the opposite lane and slow down a bit. Sure enough, it goes right in front of my car and if I hadn't bought enough time to react by slowing down and moving to the side there would be one dead 10 year old girl.

poo poo like that happens so often though you just get numb to it, while you're on planes infrequently enough that it becomes an event.

ranbo das has a new favorite as of 18:32 on Feb 23, 2017

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Pick posted:

A slogan so bad, it almost killed him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ep3okY-DlVQ

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ranbo das posted:

I've probably almost died/killed someone a dozen times in my car and I keep driving it. Just yesterday I was driving down the road and there was some kid bouncing his soccer ball on the road, and I went to myself "well I know how this ends, it bounces into the road right in front of my car and he runs out to try to grab it" so I cheated towards the opposite lane and slow down a bit. Sure enough, it goes right in front of my car and if I hadn't bought enough time to react by slowing down and moving to the side there would be one dead 10 year old girl.

Wow you would've killed him and misgendered him? Monster

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Pick posted:

No one will forgive you for Stevie Ray Vaughn though.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Aesop Poprock posted:

Wow you would've killed him and misgendered him? Monster

Hey, maybe the dead girl and the kid bouncing the ball are two separate events, we don't know why ranbo was driving.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Im bad at genders it was a girl

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

ranbo das posted:

Im bad at genders it was a girl

Did you ask? Or are you basing your assessment on physical appearances seen through your hetero-normative lens?

Underwater Shoe
May 26, 2005

an informative notation for your appreciation

Pick posted:

I think I found where the timelines split

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Thomas Edison, like him or hate him, changed the course of history. But one of his biggest flops was his attempt to make a talking doll. The long form on the history is worth a read ( https://www.nps.gov/edis/learn/photosmultimedia/a-cultural-history-of-the-edison-talking-doll-record.htm ), more fascinating than unnerving, but what you really want is the recordings. https://www.nps.gov/edis/learn/photosmultimedia/hear-edison-talking-doll-sound-recordings.htm

Of course, they're just messed up old recordings, but there's some Exorcism-style creepy sfx in there.

H2Eau
Jun 2, 2010

I loving hate these.

Let's learn about Katherine Knight!

quote:

Katherine Mary Knight (born 24 October 1955) is the first Australian woman to be sentenced to life imprisonment without parole.

Australia has seen some horrific crimes committed in the fairly short length of time since colonisation, so this should give you a clue about the severity of Knight's crime.

Some choice cuts from her early life -

quote:

Knight's father Ken was an alcoholic who openly used violence and intimidation to rape her mother up to ten times a day. Barbara, in turn, often told her daughters intimate details of her sex life and how much she hated sex and men ... Knight claims she was frequently sexually assaulted by several members of her family (though not by her father), which continued until she was 11.

quote:

Upon leaving school at 15, without having learned to read or write, she gained employment as a cutter in a clothing factory. Twelve months later, she left to start what she referred to as her "dream job", cutting up offal at the local abattoir, where she was quickly promoted to boning and given her own set of butcher knives. At home, she hung the knives over her bed so that they "would always be handy if I needed them"

She did some really messed up poo poo throughout her life, but she was ultimately jailed for this -

quote:

Price's autopsy revealed that he had been stabbed at least 37 times, in both the front and back of his body, with many of the wounds extending into vital organs. Several hours after Price had died, Knight skinned him and hung the skin from a meat hook on the architrave of a door to the lounge room. She then decapitated him and cooked parts of his body, serving up the meat with baked potato, pumpkin, beetroot, zucchini, cabbage, yellow squash and gravy in two settings at the dinner table, along with notes beside each plate, each having the name of one of Price's children on it; she was preparing to serve his body parts to his children.

The rest of her article is really worth reading; she did a lot of other hosed up things before she murdered John Price, including leaving her two month old daughter on the railway line.

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

quote:

That afternoon, Price told his co-workers that if he did not come to work the next day, it would be because Knight had killed him. They pleaded with him not to go home but he told them that he believed she would kill his children if he did not.

:smith:

I'm sure it's said way more often than it occurs, but it's distressing how often "if I disappear, (murderer) did it" comes up.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

It's crazy that she stabbed at least two people who she was seeing and they both came back to her. I feel like your girlfriend stabbing you is a pretty big warning sign that you should leave that relationship ASAP.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

ranbo das posted:

It's crazy that she stabbed at least two people who she was seeing and they both came back to her. I feel like your girlfriend stabbing you is a pretty big warning sign that you should leave that relationship ASAP.

Somebody doesn't read the r/relationship s thread.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Just goes to show you shouldn't date women with daddy issues. Find someone who has a good relationship with both their parents. It's one of the first things I find out when I'm dating.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
yeah people with abusive parents don't deserve love

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Solice Kirsk posted:

Just goes to show you shouldn't date women with daddy issues. Find someone who has a good relationship with both their parents. It's one of the first things I find out when I'm dating.

I think in the spirit of fairness you should show your dates your rap sheet from the forums so they're aware of all the racism and sexism.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Solice Kirsk posted:

Personally I go through their trash for bank statements, don't want to get trapped by some filthy poor.

gently caress off

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

I mean they're inarguably better off on their own than dating someone who thinks like that

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

More like bad posts above!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Solice Kirsk posted:

EDIT: Responding to this with a serious, depressing post is not what I should be doing.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Was a woman murdered by her spouse or accidentally shot and killed by her 6-year-old son?

Thanks to shoddy original police work and the husband now being dead, it's likely the truth will never be known.

The son, now grown up, thinks he did it :smith:.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk
This was a big thing this past week, with a few twists and turns and a surprising plot twist. I really would like to stress that you should read to the end of this before sleuthing for reasons I hope will be clear.

Who Is Tammygirl?
About a week ago a thread turned up on /r/UnresolvedMysteries with the title "Tammy Loper "Tammy Girl" Facebook Page: What is really going on here? (post now removed, cached here:

https://webcache.googleusercontent....n&ct=clnk&gl=uk

The OP says:

quote:

Came across this Facebook profile today after seeing it discussed in a group I'm in. It doesn't take long to realize that the profile is about as creepy as it gets. Many overly photoshopped photos of a woman named "Tammy" and the page is supposedly a tribute page by her husband Scott. Something isn't right here. Tammy is supposedly in the military but there's also many strange photos of her from various times and places. Some of the photos on the page are clearly not even of Tammy but tagged as her. So who is the woman featured on this "tribute" page? Why are all of the photos so heavily and terribly edited. The language used in the posts is unsettling. Something doesn't add up.

There's so much weirdness going on here. Who IS Tammy Loper? Scott Loper, upon a bit of searching through the FB page, was separated from his son at some point. Then I found this website that adds another layer to the story. If you search his name you find some pretty strange, unscrupulous things.

Not even sure this is the place where this belongs but know it's also the place to go to get to the bottom of things and to figure out the truth.

When reading this post, even without going to the Facebook profile of "Tammygirl", the whole situation sounds sketch as hell, doesn't it? Here are a few of the... 'beauty modified' photos that are included on the page in an album:

https://m.imgur.com/a/2Y9Vd

So this gets posted around a few places, and naturally people become concerned - be that out of genuine worry for 'Tammy' or just by the rush of the 'chase' in an unfolding case that on the surface is lining up to look like this dude may have injured or killed this woman and is now controlling her Facebook to make it seem as if she's still alive.

A day goes by, and the story spreads to multiple Facebook groups for true crime podcasts. The 'public' get involved, and at that point people begin touching the poop. Plebs start doxxing these people and posting the info around, mass +friends requests go to the account, and a large handful of people actually phone the home of the Lopers trying to get ahold of Tammy to 'check on her wellbeing'. They contacted family, and it turns out no one has spoken to Tammy since 2014.

Around this point the Reddit thread goes down for the doxxing, and it stirs even MORE fervor about the case. 'Tammy' is said to work in top secret security clearance at the Pentagon, how could she have such a public and risque profile people ask? Why is there no record of her receiving any of the service metals she claims?

The Facebook page gets removed. Then comes back. Then is disabled and restored about 8 more times over a several day period.

On the third day of this absolute poo poo storm that had now moved off of various true crime Facebook groups and into it's very own dedicated group, someone says they finally called the police so go do a wellness check and get eyes on Tammy.

Surprise, she's fine and mad as hell that the internet won't leave her and her husband alone. This is why I'm not linking her page, but I guess if you really care enough you can find it on your own. She's gone through and removed all the strangely Photoshopped pictures... And this is her own words.

So in conclusion: the unnerving part of this story is that a couple with a very strange kink got stalked and harassed by literally thousands of internet strangers because of bad Photoshops.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Wait, what’s the kink?

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk
Making weird photoshops of his wife that makes her look like a bizarre realdoll and then sharing them online. Because remember, presumable 'he' runs the page and is responsible for it all.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

Bogart posted:

Thomas Edison, like him or hate him, changed the course of history. But one of his biggest flops was his attempt to make a talking doll. The long form on the history is worth a read ( https://www.nps.gov/edis/learn/photosmultimedia/a-cultural-history-of-the-edison-talking-doll-record.htm ), more fascinating than unnerving, but what you really want is the recordings. https://www.nps.gov/edis/learn/photosmultimedia/hear-edison-talking-doll-sound-recordings.htm

Of course, they're just messed up old recordings, but there's some Exorcism-style creepy sfx in there.

Terrific read and links -- thanks so much!

I used to teach a module on the History of Rock back in the US, and we spent a couple of weeks on the evolution of recordings and music industry, including mechanical music from the 19th century. I used to include these dolls as part of my lecture, but back when I taught (about 6 or 7 years ago now), I didn't have sources for the audio for the dolls.

(I had to make due creeping my students out to an 1878 talking alarm clock, and 1850s restored phonoautograms that had recently been deciphered. It was a heck of a way to kick off the semester!)

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

She's certainly in the right to be upset about the weird internet stalking, but how could they think posting those photos was at all a normal thing adults do? At least it ended before an internet vigilante broke through their door to "rescue" her.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

quote:

Opalka and paramedics fought against the mud, the rushing water and the cold to free her. She begged them to save her. Opalka gave her a tube to breathe through as the water covered her head but she was suffering from hypothermia and unable to hold it for long.

The rescuers finally had to give up. They couldn't pull her loose and they were numb with cold. Six hours later they retrieved the body, one leg still firmly trapped.

http://www.akfatal.net/Dickison.htm

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Jesus that's loving terrifying

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

What about this one?

Trapped to Die posted:

By 1980, Wickwire was back at full strength--and back on McKinley. Weather turned him back.

In 1981, he tried again, and on a remote approach, he fell into a hidden crevasse with partner Chris Kerrebrock. Wickwire broke his shoulder in the fall but chiseled steps into the ice with his good hand and climbed out. Kerrebrock was wedged even deeper, immobilized, and no amount of Wickwire's one-handed struggle could free him.

Kerrebrock, 25, died, stuck in the crevasse. It was days before Wickwire reached help.

http://publications.americanalpineclub.org/articles/13198202200/print

Vaxine
Apr 3, 2005
Conspiracy theorist dies in Poland, shitstorm ensues.

First part of the BBC video is here http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-39077231

Drugs and more involved but rather intriguing.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
I don't have much more than basic data on this one, but it's an interesting follow-on from the buzz-saw murder:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-20453491 posted:

A court in Vienna has sentenced to life in prison a woman for murdering her ex-husband and her lover and hiding the bodies in her ice cream shop.

Estibaliz Carranza, who has joint Spanish-Mexican citizenship, will now be put in a secure mental institution.

The 34-year-old shot dead her ex-husband in 2008, and killed her lover while he slept two years later.

She cut up the bodies with a chainsaw and buried them in concrete in the shop's basement in Austria's capital.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Solice Kirsk posted:

She's certainly in the right to be upset about the weird internet stalking, but how could they think posting those photos was at all a normal thing adults do? At least it ended before an internet vigilante broke through their door to "rescue" her.

Yeah, even with this ending, it doesn't quite feel like it adds up. I'm not sure how much of that bit above is true but the pictures along with no one in her family speaking to her since 2014 and merely a facebook post response to go off of just seems a tad too disconnected from reality.

However, that's also poo poo I'm not touching since people are already doing dumb stuff and police apparently are already well aware of whatever the situation is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joxxuh
May 20, 2011

Ramos posted:

Yeah, even with this ending, it doesn't quite feel like it adds up. I'm not sure how much of that bit above is true but the pictures along with no one in her family speaking to her since 2014 and merely a facebook post response to go off of just seems a tad too disconnected from reality.

There's nothing terribly unusual about getting estranged from your family.