Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

You have to follow the beat!

Schubalts posted:

You can level forever, and keep amassing perk points until you get tired of it.

Yeah but then the last few points of any skill can take forever so the progression slows to a snails pace there. And when you reset abilities like speech (easy one to level) you for example lose the ability to fence goods at regular merchants and other useful bonuses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

counterfeitsaint posted:

I hate that if you play Elder Scrolls games normally, you spent like 2/3s of the game as an unstoppable god killing hordes of bandits wearing full suits of ebony and glass armor like they're nothing. I just started again and I have it set so I level at 15% of normal. I actually have to give a drat about my gear because it won't be obsolete after 20 minutes. Might drop it down to 10 or 12% even.

if that's the case then you're either playing oblivion or you're modding skyrim incorrectly/not enough. try a combat mod and morrowloot ultimate

e: or you're really good :shrug:

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

I don't know if it's even possible to be "good" at skyrim

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Rhjamiz posted:

I don't know if it's even possible to be "good" at skyrim

metagame item locations
abuse alchemy/blacksmithing/enchanting
cast the most efficient spells in town and rest to level up magic trees really fast
be a stealth archer

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

Training marksman is hard when every arrow instantly kills whatever you fire at.

Then there's that dumb paralyze bonus so if you fire an arrow at a guard post and he survives. He will fall down outside of your sight and lay on the ground for a while before he gets up and you can shoot him again.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

metagame item locations
abuse alchemy/blacksmithing/enchanting
cast the most efficient spells in town and rest to level up magic trees really fast
be a stealth archer

I dunno if I'd call that being "good", though?

It's a very very low skill ceiling is what I'm saying I suppose.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

In Morrowind being bad meant that you could swing your weapon into someone's face without hitting.

Could that game even be played at the highest difficulty from the start? Mudcrabs would one-shot you.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Dejawesp posted:

In Morrowind being bad meant that you could swing your weapon into someone's face without hitting.

Could that game even be played at the highest difficulty from the start? Mudcrabs would one-shot you.

Proper Alchemy use makes anything possible in Morrowind.

ANYTHING.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

Proper Alchemy use makes anything possible in Morrowind.

ANYTHING.

Yeah I remember making potions that healed for full health every second for ten thousand seconds and dumb stuff like that. I them fervently sold all my crafted potions to the scamp because he paid full value. His gold reset every week or so. So you had to wait 24 hours x 7 to get more gold. I would spend a whole afternoon just selling stuff to him. All for useless loving Morrowind gold. I have no idea what I was thinking.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Dejawesp posted:

Yeah I remember making potions that healed for full health every second for ten thousand seconds and dumb stuff like that. I them fervently sold all my crafted potions to the scamp because he paid full value. His gold reset every week or so. So you had to wait 24 hours x 7 to get more gold. I would spend a whole afternoon just selling stuff to him. All for useless loving Morrowind gold. I have no idea what I was thinking.

its just 24 hours for merchant gold reset

you just played yourself

also mudcrab merchant has 10k gold

Dejawesp posted:

yeah you just have to build your characters correctly, it is "hard mode" but 100% doable

this is uh... yes this is the skyrim thread

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

Dejawesp posted:

You do this so you can pay NPC enchanters to make crazy poo poo.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Dejawesp posted:

If you weren't getting around with permanent Icarian Flight + 1-point slowfall enchantments in Morrowind, you couldn't even be said to be playing the game imo

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy

docbeard posted:

If you weren't getting around with permanent Icarian Flight + 1-point slowfall enchantments in Morrowind, you couldn't even be said to be playing the game imo

The first thing I made in pretty much every playthrough was a max-power ring of jump with a duration of just a couple seconds. Instant travel anywhere on the island, at least until the cliff racers built up so badly that I'd run into them in midair.

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

I'm just getting into this game again, and it occurs to me that a lot of mods require the DLC to work (Requiem, Vivid Weathers). I don't have any DLC, just the vanilla game from 2011. I'm wondering, what makes best sense to purchase? Should I just forego buying the DLC for the stock game, and instead go for the Special Edition? Or are there a lot of mod compatibility issues with the SE?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
SE is a completely separate game as far as mods are concerned, and all mods have to be ported over. Also the SE version of the script extender isn't out yet. That said, there's a pretty good selection of SE mods, my only real complaint is no SkyUI yet, and all the mods have clunky spell based interfaces to get to the options because that's all they can do right now.

When SE first came out, everyone who owned Skyrim + the 3 DLCS got it for free. I don't know if that still applies if you just bought the DLCs now.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

nah he has to buy the SE

don't play vanilla game, half the mods won't work and the SE is better in almost every conceivable way

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

nah he has to buy the SE

don't play vanilla game, half the mods won't work and the SE is better in almost every conceivable way

There are still some combat mods, like Lock On and TK Dodge, that require the script extender and don't really have any SE equivalents, but they're mostly a matter of taste.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Sorry if this has been answered, but is there a mod that works for the SE that lets you recruit more than one follower at a time? I think I found one on Nexus but you have to be a member to download large files and registering an account costs money :confused:

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Former Human posted:

Sorry if this has been answered, but is there a mod that works for the SE that lets you recruit more than one follower at a time? I think I found one on Nexus but you have to be a member to download large files and registering an account costs money :confused:
No, no no no. You can just scroll down to 'create account' without paying anything. I never paid them and I can download large files, although the download speed is limited to 1 MB/s I think.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
FWIW I had Sperg and Sky UI plus some weapons/armors mods working fine on vanilla oldrim. The DLC were all on sale recently, not sure if they still are which is what led to my previous post about installing dlc on a modded game.

e: Earlier I asked about if installing the dlc would mess with my modded games already saved, but what about the unofficial patch? Should I be good to go with it or need to start a new game to use it?

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Feb 16, 2017

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

Former Human posted:

There are versions of EFF and AFT that work with Skyrim SE, though they don't have all the features they do in LE, due to the lack of SKSE.

AFT: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/6656/
EFF: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/7003/

I prefer AFT, as it's based on a version made for LE that predates SKSE.

Varance fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Feb 16, 2017

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
OP's been updated in some minor ways, mostly reformatting and reorganization. This is to prepare the way for future expansions, especially related to SE, which I really want to actually get in there.

So, I have a request: If you can think of anything that should be in the OP about Skyrim SE and is not there now, please suggest it.

Also: If you have converted Oldrim mods to SE and have them hosted somewhere, please let me know. It would be awesome if you are willing to post/repost links, but if you just want to tell me you've already posted them that's fine, I can search your posts in the thread.

Thank you!

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Feb 16, 2017

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

GunnerJ posted:

OP's been updated in some minor ways, mostly reformatting and reorganization. This is to prepare the way for future expansions, especially related to SE, which I really want to actually get in there.

So, I have a request: If you can think of anything that should be in the OP about Skyrim SE and is not there now, please suggest it.

Also: If you have converted Oldrim mods to SE and have them hosted somewhere, please let me know. It would be awesome if you are willing to post/repost links, but if you just want to tell me you've already posted them that's fine, I can search your posts in the thread.

Thank you!

I've slipped back into not playing Skyrim again but I do have these
https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/0B_c6m_c6szJHbnBEV2twd1FOdWc

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Who plays Skyrim anymore?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

I'm kinda feeling like firing up SE for one final playthrough. Does anyone have a good resource for mandatory / useful / good/ fun mods that have made it into SE?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

frostfall is mandatory imo.

tbh I just went into the in game chooser and clicked on all the recommended ones, worked fine

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
For SSE, are Climates of Tamriel and True Storms compatible yet? If not, which one do people tend to recommend?

Ended up using Vivid Weathers in the end.

I'm using Flora overhaul, but the tree LOD textures still look pretty bad. Any fix or does someone have a suggestion for a better tree mod? Or is this just Skyrim?

CascadeBeta fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Feb 19, 2017

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

For some reason, I cannot smith on enchanted weapons, despite having the perk to do so. I am given the message "You are lacking the perk required to improve magic items." I do have the perk, and I can improve magic armour, such as the thieves guild armour. Any ideas?

https://imgur.com/a/pe7yQ

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

csidle posted:

For some reason, I cannot smith on enchanted weapons, despite having the perk to do so. I am given the message "You are lacking the perk required to improve magic items." I do have the perk, and I can improve magic armour, such as the thieves guild armour. Any ideas?

https://imgur.com/a/pe7yQ

from the uesp

Though it can be tempered with an ebony ingot, it is not classified as an ebony weapon -- nor is it classified as any other standard weapon material. Therefore, its upgrades do not benefit from any smithing perks, and, without a Fortify Smithing effect, it can only be tempered to Flawless quality.

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

Thanks. What about the other weapons though? Similiar reasons, I guess?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

csidle posted:

try searching uesp

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

csidle posted:

Do you have any smithing or perk overhauls? Some of them make unintuitive changes without telling you in-game.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

so I know Tatterdemalion was clearly never going to get finished but did the makers ever update/say anything

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫
Does anyone have experience with Hunterborn?

I can't cook any of the meats I get from butchering.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Where does it go wrong? Are the recipes wrong and looking for the default meat items instead? Are the animals dropping meat that doesn't occur in the HB recipe bank? Do you have the meat but the cooking menu refuses to acknowledge they're sitting in your pocket? Does your basic venison-over-campfire require something else like salt which you've simply overlooked?

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

scamtank posted:

Where does it go wrong? Are the recipes wrong and looking for the default meat items instead? Are the animals dropping meat that doesn't occur in the HB recipe bank? Do you have the meat but the cooking menu refuses to acknowledge they're sitting in your pocket? Does your basic venison-over-campfire require something else like salt which you've simply overlooked?

The campfire/Primitive Cooking menu has 3 recipes in total.

In my inventory I have spider meat, wolf meat and bear meat.

I disabling the need for a cooking skill for the "Complete Alchemy and Cooking Overhaul" mod and made it so all recipes show up regardless of what I have in my inventory.

Spider meat does have a few recipes. Wolf meat has no recipes. Bear meat has recipes but it doesn't recognize the bear meat in my inventory.

Mr.Grit
Jul 16, 2006

Catberry posted:

In my inventory I have spider meat, wolf meat and bear meat.

I disabling the need for a cooking skill for the "Complete Alchemy and Cooking Overhaul" mod and made it so all recipes show up regardless of what I have in my inventory.

Spider meat does have a few recipes. Wolf meat has no recipes. Bear meat has recipes but it doesn't recognize the bear meat in my inventory.

Do you have the hunterborn_CACO patch installed?
http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/33201/?tab=2&navtag=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nexusmods.com%2Fskyrim%2Fajax%2Fmodfiles%2F%3Fid%3D33201&pUp=1

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

That helped a bit. It unlocked a lot of recipes. But wolf meat still has no uses and the game still doesn't accept my raw bear meat.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Catberry posted:

That helped a bit. It unlocked a lot of recipes. But wolf meat still has no uses and the game still doesn't accept my raw bear meat.

The bear meat in your inventory is probably no the same bear meat that the recipe calls for since you got it before installing the patch.

Go kill another bear and see if the new meat works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

Cernunnos posted:

The bear meat in your inventory is probably no the same bear meat that the recipe calls for since you got it before installing the patch.

Go kill another bear and see if the new meat works.

Where do I find a bear near Riverwood? (Please don't say "the woods")

Also why doesn't a single recipe list wolf meat?