Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Clitch posted:

How is sound support still an issue, when AC97 has ruled onboard sound for a decade?

The best thing about AC97's ascendancy is that freebsd now handles it really well but Linux is still a poo poo show. Blame Lennart Poettering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I've installed Linux a few times on some laptops here and there over the past few years and sound has just worked out of the box on all of them. It's the rest of the experience of using it (it's janky) that has always brought me back to windows eventually.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Pham Nuwen posted:

Blame Lennart Poettering.

Breitbart!?!?!?

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

doctorfrog posted:

Breitbart!?!?!?

Wasn't he the guy from Memento?

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

GutBomb posted:

I've installed Linux a few times on some laptops here and there over the past few years and sound has just worked out of the box on all of them. It's the rest of the experience of using it (it's janky) that has always brought me back to windows eventually.

The jank is mostly in the desktop environment I feel like, if you want that there's always Apple thankfully.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Xubuntu is my distro of choice for old hardware. You get all of the software support you'd normally get from Ubuntu plus a lighter weight desktop environment that looks decent and isn't completely bonkers to use.

Edit: There's also an x86 build of the Raspberry Pi OS now which is probably pretty drat snappy based on my experience using the regular version on a Pi but I haven't actually tried it to see if it works yet.

A FUCKIN CANARY!! has a new favorite as of 15:34 on Feb 23, 2017

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I just use Lubuntu for old stuff.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Welp, looks like Lubuntu does the trick on my VGN. Still a bit slow but it's usable at least. Got dual boot with FreeDOS so it'll be fun to play a couple of DOS games in this thing.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
My laptop is Arch with i3 and it's nice and all but I think I'm going to put Mint or something on it instead.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I switched from Arch to Mint a while ago, and I couldn't be happier.

It. Just. loving. WORKS.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Three-Phase posted:

It always amazes me how few of those old calculators had functions like square root.

I mean you can use the Babylonian method to hammer it down with a couple of iterations...

It's because no-one ever needs to know the square root of anything in the business world. There's a reason why scientific calculators are called scientific calculators.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

KozmoNaut posted:

I switched from Arch to Mint a while ago, and I couldn't be happier.

It. Just. loving. WORKS.

Yeah I've used Arch, a couple of different Ubuntus, and Debian, and Mint is next on my list I think. i3 is just kind of clunky.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

shovelbum posted:

Yeah I've used Arch, a couple of different Ubuntus, and Debian, and Mint is next on my list I think. i3 is just kind of clunky.

Why would i3's clunkiness necessitate installing Mint?

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Pham Nuwen posted:

Why would i3's clunkiness necessitate installing Mint?

I only wanted Arch for i3 because it didn't come with any default stuff really.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Linux users need to be put in a home.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Star Man posted:

Your home.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Star Man posted:

Linux users go in /home, at least by default.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Linux mint has been my only OS on my computers for the past 6 years and I except for the severe depression I couldn't be happier

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Mint is basically Ubuntu with a ton of programs pre-installed for everything you could ever want to do. It just comes down to whether you want something with everything out of the box or you already have certain apps you like to use for certain things and want to install them yourself.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

If this is currently the Linux distro naming thread, I'll just mention that I've been fond of openSUSE for several years now.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Mint is basically Ubuntu with a ton of programs pre-installed for everything you could ever want to do. It just comes down to whether you want something with everything out of the box or you already have certain apps you like to use for certain things and want to install them yourself.

Not really. It does come with default apps, but not really a ton, and it also has a much (much!) better desktop in Cinnamon.

It's a significantly improved Ubuntu.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Disclaimer: I don't know poo poo about Linux and don't see myself in a situation to ever need it in my life.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
lol if you don’t compile your own GNU Hurd

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Platystemon posted:

lol if you don’t compile your own GNU Hurd

No, instead I live a life of obsolescence and still paint on wood panels that I build.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

KozmoNaut posted:

Not really. It does come with default apps, but not really a ton, and it also has a much (much!) better desktop in Cinnamon.

It's a significantly improved Ubuntu.

Yeah. Ubuntu's desktop is just the shittiest thing. I'm primarily a Windows(and OSX sometimes) person, so Mint is much easier for me to get used to.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Powered Descent posted:

Linux users go in /home, at least by default.

We should change the default to /dev/null, instead.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Ubuntu and Mint are awful but probably do fit decently well in a thread called "Tech Relics"

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Last Chance posted:

Ubuntu and Mint are awful but probably do fit decently well in a thread called "Tech Relics"

I remember when Ubuntu was good and better than the Windows of the time. 5.10 or something like that?

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Jerry Cotton posted:

I remember when Ubuntu was good and better than the Windows of the time. 5.10 or something like that?

Never

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Last Chance posted:

What is the good lunix flavor then?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

It ran a lot better on my old-rear end Compaq than XP.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Jerry Cotton posted:

For as much as I am mostly rolling my eyes through this entire Linux (pronounced, per Linus Torvalds, Lee-nooks, of course) discussion, I do remember being impressed enough by my friend's Ubuntu setup in the late 1990s that I briefly joined the local LINUX CLUB and expected to be blown away and become a full convert.

Instead after like two meetings I realized all the work required to get something good happening was not worth it when I could go home and play EverQuest with no work right now.

O.K. looking into it I see Ubuntu only dates to 2004, what the hell magical GUI distro was my friend showing me back then? Who cares, shut up, stop posting, O.K., thanks, bye

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Depending on who you are, computer and phone operating systems and software are either shockingly bad in 2017, or very expectedly bad.

There are a small set of meters in my head somewhere that measure the irritation of installing, configuring, and getting everything to work with Linux versus the amount of dumb poo poo Microsoft keeps doing that I am willing to keep putting up with.

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

What is the good lunix flavor then?

Bitter Neckbeard

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Speaking of OS, remember windows shell replacements? I used LiteStep for awhile and remember it being slick.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

I used Central Point Desktop for Win 3.1 back in the day.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
It's me, the person that never really has issues with Windows. I just want to be like everyone else and have poo poo break constantly and find something that only a small niche of people use in order to get anything to work. I just want to fit in, guys.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Star Man posted:

It's me, the person that never really has issues with Windows. I just want to be like everyone else and have poo poo break constantly and find something that only a small niche of people use in order to get anything to work. I just want to fit in, guys.

My main issue with Windows is that it's a bloated mess because I really don't like buying new hardware like, ever. Now that basically all Linuxes are bloated messes as well, only without sound, Windows is sub-optimal but OK I guess.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

mobby_6kl posted:

We should change the default to /dev/null, instead.

Always thought CD to /dev/null should play an animation that sucks in all the characters on the console leaving a smiley face ASCII and a box. You have to move you face over to the door to get back to the previous directory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Jerry Cotton posted:

My main issue with Windows is that it's a bloated mess because I really don't like buying new hardware like, ever. Now that basically all Linuxes are bloated messes as well, only without sound, Windows is sub-optimal but OK I guess.

I like Windows because I can just slap together my PC, install Windows on it, and then that's it! It's a working computer! Windows isn't perfect but I don't want to invest all the time in wrangling a Linux box to working properly. I swear that involves dark rituals and goat sacrifices to the Great Torvalds if what people tell me is any indication.

That being said...if I ever had to put a server of some sort together then Linux. Microsoft's server software is impressively bad.