Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Just got my Platinum. Loved this game, can't wait to play the DLC!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I'm loving awful at this game and still love it. I haven't finished it yet and am too afraid to look at my deaths. I think I have died more than ten times on every boss except for ice queen, centipede and a few other random ones that I beat without a single death, presumably they could not deal with my poo poo house roll like an angry gator combat technique.

RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

Which set or armour type are some of you using for single Katana builds?

With this character I've been using light armour the entire playthrough along with a spear (my first character slot before this was dual swords/axes with heavy armour which was great fun for that run), so now I'm trying out the parrying and cool single katana stuff but I need to respec properly for this I think and I'm not sure which set would be the best to use.

Some of the medium types look good such as Kingo's or Demon King's but is Light armour still the better option? If so are there any good single katana Light sets? I've not really used Medium at all, if I did is it worth dumping in a bunch of points into Strength to get to B agility?

I kind of want to make a third character slot which is full on Ninjitsu with a Kusarigama in light armour too...

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I set out to use nothing but medium armor for my katana/spear build and started regretting it when the stamina and strength requirements approached heavy armor levels about halfway through the game. Lesson being just choose between heavy and light and supplement with medium as need be, it's not very rewarding on its own.

Honestly the only medium sets I loved were Youngblood and Genius Strategist.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I use light armor for my single katana build, but medium does have some excellent set bonuses. The National Unity (Demon King) set has great bonuses, as does the Kingo set, and Warrior of the West. In fact, if I were gearing for set bonuses alone, I'd use a mix of medium and light, but I'm addicted to A Agility now and not willing to double or triple my Stamina quite yet. (I'd be mixing National Unity and Justice Ministry for their set bonuses, probably, or maybe Kingo and Justice Ministry.)

Here's the thing, though: B Agility really isn't that different from A Agility. Like, it is noticeable, but it isn't a huge deal. I'm just a stickler at this point. And all it takes is 12 Stamina to stay at B Agility in the heaviest medium armor, I'm pretty sure.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Either you mis-remember or I'm completely oblivious, because at around lv. 100+ my stamina is almost 30 and I still can't wear the complete Fanatic or Gallantry set, possibly more. At least not without my equip load going over 70%. That's the cutoff for "fat rolling" right?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Two things:

1. Hell yes, I read that they let you send excess consumables and ammo to the storehouse now and it's the best loving thing.

2. Going solely by Guardian Spirit Talisman attacks, Paired Raiken is becoming one of my favorite guardian spirits. These little thunder pups are nuts, holy poo poo.

Deified Data posted:

Either you mis-remember or I'm completely oblivious, because at around lv. 100+ my stamina is almost 30 and I still can't wear the complete Fanatic or Gallantry set, possibly more. At least not without my equip load going over 70%. That's the cutoff for "fat rolling" right?

Do you mean Strength or Stamina?

I'm probably wrong, though, because I stopped using medium armor about halfway through, so I didn't keep an eye on their weight. I just assumed it stopped getting heavier like light armor did (which you need 11-12 Stamina to stay in A-rank Agility with).

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Stamina. I've had to bump my strength up to...16 or 17?...for some of the high-tier medium armor, but that wasn't too bad an investment. Having stuck with medium the whole game, the problem I ran into was that if you wanted to keep using new sets as they became available you had to invest in stamina almost as much as a heavy armor-user. Of course the solution to this is to just stick with a lighter set that you like and keep reforging it but I wanted to play with my shiny new toys.

If I roll into NG+ with that build I think I'll settle on one or two armor sets I want to keep using and respec my stamina to meet that goal. The heavier sets just aren't worth it.

Harrow posted:

2. Going solely by Guardian Spirit Talisman attacks, Paired Raiken is becoming one of my favorite guardian spirits. These little thunder pups are nuts, holy poo poo.

I got a lot of use out of Suzaku's attack. Atlas Bear is also fantastic. It's a slow wind-up but it floors every human enemy I encountered and drains the Ki of everything else.

Deified Data fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Feb 25, 2017

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Deified Data posted:

I got a lot of use out of Suzaku's attack. Atlas Bear is also fantastic. It's a slow wind-up but it floors every human enemy I encountered and drains the Ki of everything else.

I love Suzaku's attack, too. I haven't tried Atlas Bear yet but I should. My favorite talisman attacks are Suzaku, Paired Raiken, Daiba-Washi, and Enko so far. I think Genbu seems similar to Enko as well, but with water.

RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

Harrow posted:

I'm addicted to A Agility now

Yeah, that's my trouble, I'm REALLY liking light armour with A agility for my current Spear build, so I'm sure I'd want it for using a Sword too, hence the trouble deciding how to set up this new build. The medium armour is much heavier but those sets you mentioned do have great bonuses so I am tempted to do it with medium.

Harrow posted:

I'm probably wrong, though, because I stopped using medium armor about halfway through, so I didn't keep an eye on their weight. I just assumed it stopped getting heavier like light armor did (which you need 11-12 Stamina to stay in A-rank Agility with).

Equipping all the Demon King's armor and a piece of Kingo's I'd need 50 Stamina to break into B agility at 70% weight, that's including 20 Strength too (I'd need 17 to activate the special effects on Demon King's).

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

RoboJoe posted:

Equipping all the Demon King's armor and a piece of Kingo's I'd need 50 Stamina to break into B agility at 70% weight, that's including 20 Strength too (I'd need 17 to activate the special effects on Demon King's).

Yeah, I was super wrong about that. I assumed medium armor stopped getting heavier at mid-game but that's not the case at all.

Medium armor is for chumps, holy poo poo :psyduck: That needs rebalancing badly. The set bonuses are fantastic but like Deified Data said, you might as well be wearing heavy armor at that point. It only offers 7% more damage reduction over light, too.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Feb 25, 2017

RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

It doesn't make a lot of sense really, I can afford those points I guess but it'd cut my damage down a lot compared to if I was using light as I'd have more stabbing stats. Maybe the set bonuses would make up for it though, I suppose instead of talking about it I should just confirm these points and go try it out in combat (especially as I do need to get good at parrying which I've struggled with whenever I try it in this game).

On the other end my first character I mentioned is using Dual Sword/Axe in Heavy armour, he's got C agility (no chance of getting B I'm thinking so I didn't even try) because I don't need to dodge too much I can comfortably sit there with only 20 stamina and have much more toughness than Medium with that huge Stamina investment.

This game really does seem go light or go heavy, medium is not very good unless you really want set bonuses.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Kusarigama/dual katana/ninjitsu build starts tonight. Gonna put my sword and spear man on the shelf for now and feel out the other weapon types.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

So I'm really not liking the sameyness. I'm at Sawayama and at this point I'm glad when it's done. The enemy variety killed this, and the game needs balancing.

Threeshotting bosses with iaido+downstab+carnage was fun at first, but I accidentally did this to Mitsunari without seeing his deal.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I guess it's kind of a weak defense but I mean it's not like you have to fight bosses that way

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Someone described Nioh perfectly when they called it an unfair game that challenges the player to use unfair tactics to find success. In that way it can be as fair or unfair as you wish according to your skill level. Like, I had sloth talismans on hand the whole game and they only got used when I felt like I needed them.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Finished up this morning. On the whole, thought this was a really great game, and that it's the first "Souls-Like" that really sold the idea that it could be its own sub-genre of ARPG. I hope the dudes that are putting out The Surge can do as well as Team Ninja did here.

That said, I farmed up my 6-piece green Red Demon suit/spear and then decided to go ahead and delete the game. I don't feel the same kind of pull to keep playing into NG+ in Nioh that I did in Souls - by the end, I kinda felt like I'd seen pretty much everything this game had to show me. That, and the last few fights of NG seemed to encapsulate some of the shittier parts of the game, and really highlighted where I thought they'd be going to make NG+ more difficult - namely, having more adds (particularly ranged) mixed into fights to keep you stamina deficient and stunlocked. Maybe it's because I'm just not good enough to deal with it, but enduring that poo poo just wasn't that much fun - I hate losing control of my character, and that was pretty much the entire gimmick for Tri-Kellys and eye-boss (having a bunch of adds that the game doesn't give you great tools to deal with just punishing you if you slow down at all).

But, that's pretty much just me griping - definitely worth the $60 I spent on it, and I look forward to seeing where they go with it in the future.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Deified Data posted:

Someone described Nioh perfectly when they called it an unfair game that challenges the player to use unfair tactics to find success. In that way it can be as fair or unfair as you wish according to your skill level. Like, I had sloth talismans on hand the whole game and they only got used when I felt like I needed them.

Yeah, that's basically how I describe it:

People like to say that Souls games are "tough, but fair." (The degree of fairness varies based on the game, between areas in each game, and based on what the individual player considers "fair," of course.) Nioh isn't that. It's unfair. But it's up to the player whether that unfairness benefits the enemies or the player. You're either going to feel like you're getting wrecked and struggle out victories, or you're going to use a bunch of dirty tricks and dance all over enemies and murder them just as fast as they murder you if you let your guard down.

Now, whether someone enjoys that or not is going to be subjective, of course. There's definitely some overlap between the people who like Souls/Bloodborne and the people who like Nioh (like me!), but I definitely don't think liking one guarantees you'll like the other.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I would argue that I'm a lot more tempted to explore NG+ content in Nioh because of the remixed levels and divine equipment instead of plain, old "enemies take more hits and hit harder". Dark Souls 2 did it right, but by and large compelling NG+ content isn't something From traditionally nails.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I play a super glass cannon but all the bosses can be solved in the same way. The guy with the insane Regen buff was also pretty poo poo, yet optional.

Fighting 2 Raven Tengu followed by onriyoki, yet again was just bad.

Okatsu was probably the most fun fight I had, her airdashes were fun, her damage moderate, her HP not too high, but she was mobile

Jack-Off Lantern fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Feb 25, 2017

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

What's unfair about Nioh? The enemies all have pretty clear attack patterns (that should be ingrained in your skull by the end since there's so little enemy variety) There's nothing I can think of that'll kill you in one hit/no instant death traps or anything (maybe the bats in that cave level?) You get ambushed sometimes but it's usually just a skeleton with a spear or something

And the guardian spirits are a pretty good panic button if you get in a bad situation (Especially the phoenix one)

I dunno, I used all the weapons in my first run and never felt like I had to resort to anything cheap. It felt pretty fair to me

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Sloth talismans are really handy for dealing with multiple enemies. I think the multi-Yokai brawls towards the end of the game are really great.

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

I play a super glass cannon but all the bosses can be solved in the same way. The guy with the insane Regen buff was also pretty poo poo, yet optional.

Fighting 2 Raven Tengu followed by onriyoki, yet again was just bad.

Okatsu was probably the most fun fight I had, her airdashes were fun, her damage moderate, her HP not too high, but she was mobile

I have elected to ignore that fight because the only guys I can't stand fighting is Raven Tengu's.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Not too many OHKO's I can think of. Umi-Bozu's laser, Hundred Eye's red amrita spikes if you get caught by all of them. Pretty sure Onryoki can one-shot you the first time you counter him with some of his more projected attacks.

WirelessPillow posted:

I have elected to ignore that fight because the only guys I can't stand fighting is Raven Tengu's.

I managed to scrape away a victory here with a sloth talisman and living weapon. I'm not good enough to win against mutiple tengus otherwise.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I guess I'm not a fan of the yokai brawls. :shrug:.

I like the more mobile bosses, a cool gimmick boss here and there.

I skipped the two Tengu by living weapon one if them, and using that cannon to hit the other for combined 75% of his health while he waddled over.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

NG+'s enemy placement and aggression just feels like what NG should have been. And once it's over there's no way to proceed to more of a challenge unless you reduce your abilities and replay areas. In From's games you can keep expanding your character and the game continues to scale with your expanding toolset.

Where in Soulsborne I'll go through several NG+ cycles before being done with the campaign and moving on to pure invasions and duels, here I'm just kind of done after NG+. Though I guess there wouldn't be anything to expand to, since I learned all of the weapon classes and explored ninjitsu and magic during that time. And also I've already fought this small pool of enemies and retread these same environments too many times now.

The biggest killer for continued play is he unfairness in favor of the player that was mentioned. At this point I know a billion different ways to abuse the combat system, and I can't see how even DLC with new enemies could be very challenging as a result. Granted it took me most of NG+ to get to that point, so Nioh was still a very good and long experience... but it won't have the staying power for me that From games have for me.

As an aside, I'm diving into a run through Bloodborne now that Nioh is done and mmmmm this games combat still feels so slick.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I do think doubling up on the same yokai is pretty lame. I like the ones in Demon King Revealed where it spawns like one of each semi-sequentially.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I get it, this is the first game, and it's spectacular. It falls off really really hard,tho. I hope they can build upon it and improve.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
The best part of Demon King Revealed is summoning revenants to get butchered by your ninja bodyguards while you sit back and use the tea ceremony emote. :effort:

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
After playing the game for around sixty hours straight and using the same play style gimmick until I hated playing at all I can safely say that unlike dark souls

:goonsay:

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...

Deified Data posted:

Nah, I'd say the balance is just totally hosed up. I've been one-shotting bosses for most of the game without even bothering to use sloth talismans. At A agility, you're way too fast and bosses can't punish you for healing. The best bosses in Dark Souls/Bloodborne would push your poo poo in and force you to dodge X amount of attacks before getting a chance to heal. I don't think there is a single boss in Nioh like that and I'm almost finished with the game. Nioh gives you wayyyyyy too many tools for how piss easy the bosses are. They need to double their health and give them gap-closing or "punish" moves (think Ludex Gundyr's backkick).

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Glenn Quebec posted:

After playing the game for around sixty hours straight and using the same play style gimmick until I hated playing at all I can safely say that unlike dark souls

:goonsay:

I tried different builds. It's the loving same. Medium armor is a joke, balance wise.

Jack-Off Lantern fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Feb 25, 2017

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

What's unfair about Nioh? The enemies all have pretty clear attack patterns (that should be ingrained in your skull by the end since there's so little enemy variety) There's nothing I can think of that'll kill you in one hit/no instant death traps or anything (maybe the bats in that cave level?) You get ambushed sometimes but it's usually just a skeleton with a spear or something

And the guardian spirits are a pretty good panic button if you get in a bad situation (Especially the phoenix one)

I dunno, I used all the weapons in my first run and never felt like I had to resort to anything cheap. It felt pretty fair to me

There are definitely one-hit kills--or, rather, two-hit kills that come out fast enough that they might as well be one-hit kills. They are all heavily telegraphed, though, and bosses tend not to have them. But what I mean is that enemies can kill you incredibly quickly in Nioh, much more so than they can in most Souls games, but the key is that you can do it right back to them.

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

I get it, this is the first game, and it's spectacular. It falls off really really hard,tho. I hope they can build upon it and improve.

I'm definitely not going to argue the enemy variety isn't a problem, because it really is. People aren't joking when they say you've seen every enemy type by halfway through the game, and that sucks. I'm hoping they add more than just one or two new types per DLC because the game really does need it.

EDIT: And yes, medium armor is a joke. I'm not sure what they were trying to accomplish there, making it so heavy that the stats you'll need to wear it mean you might as well use heavy armor, while at the same time making its damage reduction close to negligible over light armor. Just cut the whole category and split its sets between light and heavy. Demon King can be heavy, Genius Strategist can be light, etc.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Feb 25, 2017

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Dr. Carwash posted:

They need to double their health and give them gap-closing or "punish" moves (think Ludex Gundyr's backkick).

Its not even that, some bosses are kinda unfun health sponges, still. But there is no real difficulty curve. The Ogress is a late game boss?

The Sekigahara Boss is preceded by two harder minibosses in the previous mission, the revenants in said mission are harder.

Hell, some optional first chapter boss is as hard as a late game boss. Muneshige I died the most on, and then I got so many tool, Ki, and Health.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

I tried different builds. It's the loving same. Medium armor is a joke, balance wise.

Grrr, it's a joke the loving same. *Flicks cig at u*

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I feel like after NG+ they should at least open up more Twilight missions regularly and/or actually have them scale to your level.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Glenn Quebec posted:

Grrr, it's a joke the loving same. *Flicks cig at u*

Tell me the difference between Niohs nuanced builds in which they poo poo you to death with skill points. Agility B or A is pretty much the only difference in armor.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Carwash posted:

Nah, I'd say the balance is just totally hosed up. I've been one-shotting bosses for most of the game without even bothering to use sloth talismans. At A agility, you're way too fast and bosses can't punish you for healing. The best bosses in Dark Souls/Bloodborne would push your poo poo in and force you to dodge X amount of attacks before getting a chance to heal. I don't think there is a single boss in Nioh like that and I'm almost finished with the game. Nioh gives you wayyyyyy too many tools for how piss easy the bosses are. They need to double their health and give them gap-closing or "punish" moves (think Ludex Gundyr's backkick).

I mean, sloth talismans don't directly improve dps at all, so it's not a big surprise. They are just a crutch for singke enemies, and an aid in juggling multiple enemies. Discord is way more broken than sloth talismans. Just stunlocking bosses almost right out of the gate is pretty crazy.

This game was pretty difficult right at the beginning, when you only had a few skills, but by time you stop meeting new enemies, you also have enough skills to break the game.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Man nothing sucks more than making a good bro and doing a mission tearing poo poo up and then you fall in the water and you part ways :c

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Snak posted:

I mean, sloth talismans don't directly improve dps at all, so it's not a big surprise. They are just a crutch for singke enemies, and an aid in juggling multiple enemies. Discord is way more broken than sloth talismans. Just stunlocking bosses almost right out of the gate is pretty crazy.

This game was pretty difficult right at the beginning, when you only had a few skills, but by time you stop meeting new enemies, you also have enough skills to break the game.

Sloth talismans are pretty good for setting up Discord, though. They make enemies sitting ducks for your elemental shots, and let you get more buildup faster because you don't have to dodge as often.