Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Magic Hate Ball posted:

That sounds like a problem with your eyeballs.

Well me too then, because light too warm gives me eyestrain if trying to read or do things like play boardgames

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

blue lighting is very uncomfortable at night and ever since I started using f.lux, it's only become uglier to me.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
moonlight is cool lighting at night and i think it's pretty

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

People using the word "alum". Firstly, it's "alumnus", and secondly, it's really dumb to use it about former cast-members of TV shows. A TV show is not a school.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Digirat posted:

blue lighting is very uncomfortable at night and ever since I started using f.lux, it's only become uglier to me.

At night, I only have a few of these on around the place because yeah, blue, white, and even soft white lighting at night is terrible.

They are the only incandescent lights I have, but at 25 watts, I'm not too concerned about power usage. Plus, it's like having a campfire in your living room!

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Yes, coworker, I'm sure if you ask our processor the same question like 18 more times you'll get an answer you like better than the answer you've gotten the last 18 times.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
Part of my job is to prepare paper files to be scanned into our image system (removing staples, etc). I used to also maintain the files themselves, but recently that got reassigned to a lady who doesn't line up edges or even flatten out papers before taping them together, so the stack is all lumpy with paper and tape sticking out everywhere.

Then she just shoves the papers into and out of the file/her desk all month, so they wind up all wrinkled with bent corners that I have to straighten out.

And of course, this change happened mid-month, so I turned the files I'd started over to her, and just got them back with all my work looking like a pile of junk.

Disorderly stacks of paper is my pet peeve. :argh:

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

current peeve: when people ask you to go with them to a thing, so you get dressed and ready and they take an additional 2 hours piddling around before they're even close to ready. My sister does this poo poo all the time, and I don't get it at all. I can shower, get dressed, put on makeup and be ready to go in half an hour- she doesn't wear makeup at all and wear just jeans and a t-shirt

why does it take so long for her to be ready

and then she's in a rush because she took too long and drives like a madperson

what the gently caress, sis

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
It sounds like she wants to mentally prepare before venturing out into a hostile world full of strangers and random events. Smart.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I really don't understand why people do that where they ask you to go do something hours before they actually want to do it without saying that. I used to have a friend who would call me up at like 8 on a saturday night and ask if I want to meet up at a bar or something. If I said yes I'd head out within half an hour or so after I got ready and every time I'd end up sitting there alone until like 1030 when I text him saying I'm heading home and he acted all offended like "I thought you said you wanted to go?".

If you aren't going to be ready for a few hours, say so. It's not hard and it's ridiculous to assume people know you don't mean "now/soon" when you don't specify.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I really don't understand why people do that where they ask you to go do something hours before they actually want to do it without saying that. I used to have a friend who would call me up at like 8 on a saturday night and ask if I want to meet up at a bar or something. If I said yes I'd head out within half an hour or so after I got ready and every time I'd end up sitting there alone until like 1030 when I text him saying I'm heading home and he acted all offended like "I thought you said you wanted to go?".

If you aren't going to be ready for a few hours, say so. It's not hard and it's ridiculous to assume people know you don't mean "now/soon" when you don't specify.

Honestly you kind of sound like the crazy person to me here. If I text someone "you wanna come over and chill tonight" and you said "yes" I'd be weirded the gently caress out if you just suddenly showed up at my house half an hour later without us discussing when. A confirmation for plans isn't a confirmation for time, why would you assume they meant at that moment?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Aesop Poprock posted:

Honestly you kind of sound like the crazy person to me here. If I text someone "you wanna come over and chill tonight" and you said "yes" I'd be weirded the gently caress out if you just suddenly showed up at my house half an hour later without us discussing when. A confirmation for plans isn't a confirmation for time, why would you assume they meant at that moment?

That's not how the conversations I'm referring to go. There is no "tonight", it's "hey I was thinking of heading to ____ want to meet up there?" so I say "yeah sure see you there" and they respond like "cool see you in a bit". The tone of the conversation is very much not planning but rather "I am going there now let's go".

e: and to be clear, there were other times probably equally as often where this guy really did mean "right now". Both times he invites you the same way so it's not hard to see how it can get confusing. Any question of "sure, when you were thinking?" was always met with "oh I don't know, whenever you feel like it".

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 20:27 on Feb 24, 2017

doverhog
May 31, 2013

I solve this kind of problem by insisting on getting a concrete time when you are supposed to meet. That way if they don't show up around then, it's clear who's in the wrong.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

doverhog posted:

I solve this kind of problem by insisting on getting a concrete time when you are supposed to meet. That way if they don't show up around then, it's clear who's in the wrong.

This just gets into the other peeve I have with people like this where people give you a time to arrive and they actually mean anything from 30 minutes to 2 hours after that. We used to organize tailgates together and he'd emphasize how important it was to show up at 9am or whatever to go get set up, and I'd arrive any time from 8:55-9:15 and 90% of the time he'd still be asleep. If you tell me to be somewhere at a certain time I'm going to be there at that time plus or minus 15 minutes. If you mean later just say so - stop assuming everyone is the type that needs to be told to arrive hours earlier than you want them to be there until they prove otherwise.

Fashionably late is a concept for idiots.

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

:burger: It's burgin' time! :burger:

:agreed:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Calling about my internet being out.

Back in November, I called in about my internet being out, the technician came out, looked at my stuff, and disappeared for about 20 minutes, before coming back and telling me that an installer had disconnected me from the main box.

Last night I came home to the internet being out again. I called support, spent 30 minutes repeating that I just need a tech to go and reconnect me to the main box, before he finally put it through. I know how to reset my damned router, and it's the first thing I did before even considering calling. I get that these hoops are for the idiots who think that the internet is a magical tube named Internet Explorer, but listen to me when I tell you what's wrong.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Yes and gently caress anyone who blames it on their city or culture or anything else.

Don't be late. Respect other people's time.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Fashionably late is supposed to be for showing up at parties, not meeting up with somebody.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Henchman of Santa posted:

Fashionably late is supposed to be for showing up at parties, not meeting up with somebody.

It's still stupid for parties. Being late for them is acceptable but if you go out of your way to be very late on purpose it's dumb.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

It's fashionable because it shows you don't give a gently caress, let the plebes show up on time, you're a higher class of human, and the party will wait for you.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

It's still stupid for parties. Being late for them is acceptable but if you go out of your way to be very late on purpose it's dumb.

I always figured fashionably late was late within reason. Like you never want to be first and the host doesn't usually expect people to get there right at 8 p.m. or whatever, so getting there at 8:30 or 8:45 is "fashionable."

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

WampaLord posted:

Yes and gently caress anyone who blames it on their city or culture or anything else.

Don't be late. Respect other people's time.

Eh if it's a party it's pretty awkward to be the first people there sometimes, especially if you don't know the host that well. Even when I'm hosting and someone I don't know well shows up early I'm always kinda put off by it

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
if you tell people the party starts at 8:30 and that's when they turn up, don't act like they're the dick for turning up at 8:30 jfc

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Aesop Poprock posted:

Eh if it's a party it's pretty awkward to be the first people there sometimes, especially if you don't know the host that well. Even when I'm hosting and someone I don't know well shows up early I'm always kinda put off by it

Agreed. I feel bad asking that friend-of-a-friend to help me tap the keg or slice tomatoes, but what else can I do?

Fashionably late doesn't mean that it's cool, in and of itself, to be insultingly late to things. It shows that you have other things going on in your life, so maybe you show up a half hour late to that party because you had dinner plans, and maybe you leave after a couple hours because you have somewhere else that you have to make an appearance. It's never cool to be the first one to show up at a party and it's rarely cool to be the last one to leave. The whole concept is nuanced and interacts with shared social values and assumptions. So it's no shock that goons don't get it.

I say this as someone with multiple friends who are chronically, painfully, hours-and-hours late to almost everything. It's an arms race of internally-adjusted meeting times. If I say a dinner party starts at 7:00, Roger might show up at 10:30 and wonder why the food is all put away. If try to drag him back a little closer and say it starts at 6:00, he might show up at 10:15. To actually get him there on time, I would have to tell him 4:00am, to which he would (rightly) tell me to go gently caress myself.

edit:

starkebn posted:

if you tell people the party starts at 8:30 and that's when they turn up, don't act like they're the dick for turning up at 8:30 jfc

That's fine, and not what we're talking about. I'm generally a punctual person and (contrary to what I said last paragraph) will usually tell people 7:00 if I want them there at 7:00. But if someone I don't know very well is the first person to show up, it's weird - especially if they're earlier than the stated time and just stand around watching you vacuum.

walrusman has a new favorite as of 02:30 on Feb 25, 2017

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

it's been warm out, and instead of using the AC, we've been leaving the windows and balcony door open in our apartment to let the fresh air through. in the evening it's cool and relaxing, and helps us save on our utilities!

in addition to the weed smell that permeates through our apartment whenever the hvac system is on at night, one of the guys downstairs goes out to smoke a cigarette every half hour. so I have to close to balcony door every half hour because the smoke goes up and into our apartment. it's not cooling down in here at all because the door needs to be open for the air to circulate well.

:sigh:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

This just gets into the other peeve I have with people like this where people give you a time to arrive and they actually mean anything from 30 minutes to 2 hours after that.
Worse is when they say they'll be there at a certain time, but when they realise they're running late they do something to "make up" for it. Like, instead of just trying to get there as early as possible they stop on the way to buy a cake as an apology, so instead of showing up half an hour late they show up an hour late with something you didn't ask for.

walrusman posted:

I feel bad asking that friend-of-a-friend to help me tap the keg or slice tomatoes, but what else can I do?
Being asked to help is much better than when you show up on time and the host is still setting up so they just leave you to stand around awkwardly while they get on with it.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

walrusman posted:

Agreed. I feel bad asking that friend-of-a-friend to help me tap the keg or slice tomatoes, but what else can I do?

Fashionably late doesn't mean that it's cool, in and of itself, to be insultingly late to things. It shows that you have other things going on in your life, so maybe you show up a half hour late to that party because you had dinner plans, and maybe you leave after a couple hours because you have somewhere else that you have to make an appearance. It's never cool to be the first one to show up at a party and it's rarely cool to be the last one to leave. The whole concept is nuanced and interacts with shared social values and assumptions. So it's no shock that goons don't get it.

I say this as someone with multiple friends who are chronically, painfully, hours-and-hours late to almost everything. It's an arms race of internally-adjusted meeting times. If I say a dinner party starts at 7:00, Roger might show up at 10:30 and wonder why the food is all put away. If try to drag him back a little closer and say it starts at 6:00, he might show up at 10:15. To actually get him there on time, I would have to tell him 4:00am, to which he would (rightly) tell me to go gently caress myself.

edit:

That's fine, and not what we're talking about. I'm generally a punctual person and (contrary to what I said last paragraph) will usually tell people 7:00 if I want them there at 7:00. But if someone I don't know very well is the first person to show up, it's weird - especially if they're earlier than the stated time and just stand around watching you vacuum.

Being super cool and having such a cool life you show up late to everything doesn't work in the day and age where I can see you posting PettyMemes 20 minutes before you show up.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

walrusman posted:

It sounds like you need to stop inviting Roger to dinner parties.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

walrusman posted:

I "get" this and it's fine, my complaint was about people who do it for no good reason besides thinking it makes you look cool to be late. If you have other things to do, fine, but I feel like a lot of people, particularly those of goony nature, put on the act of being this busy social butterfly when in reality the previous engagement they blamed their lateness on was getting an extra hour of sleep or dicking around on world of warcraft.

In the end it doesn't particularly matter unless their attendance is vital to the event starting. It's just about respect and consistently late people have very little of it.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Iron Crowned posted:

Calling about my internet being out.

Anybody you talk to when you call a major ISP's tech support line literally does not have the choice to listen to you. They have a script the must follow or they will be disciplined. They are essentially a human version of the automated support tree, and they only exist because they can parse natural language more complicated than "yes", "no" and "internet down/broken/doesn't work." When you tell them what's wrong, they have a flowchart and they must follow it step by step.

I hate talking to these people too because it wastes so much goddamn time before anything meaningful happens, but it's not their fault. You should be directing your mental death rays towards the higher-ups who created these asinine inflexible policies to begin with. I'm certain there's a level of deliberate aggravation built into these systems so that most people will just give up in frustration.

RabbitIndustrial
Sep 8, 2007
Courage is fear holding on for a minute longer
I work in a liquor store/cafe. Customers have tossed plates, (real plates) and silverware into trash cans, which get thrown into the dumpster. We had around 40 plates, now we have 12. We had a ton of forks now we have none, aside from plastic ones which we have to keep ordering

cinni
Oct 17, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I hate going through the drive thru at a fast food place, only wanting maybe a cheap dollar burger or one item, and the person in front of me has ordered half the menu for god knows how many people (or maybe just themselves). If you know you are going to be placing a large order to go, go inside to order and wait politely so other people can use the 'fast' convenience of the drive thru. "Ok there's their bag of food, time for them to go... oh wait, one more.... they aren't going.... and another.... and here's the sodas..." and of course then they have to tap on the window again and argue/discuss something or get more of something holding things up further (don't forget to meticulously check all your hordes of food bags) before finally.... slooooowly pulling off into the yonder.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

The Snoo posted:

it's been warm out, and instead of using the AC, we've been leaving the windows and balcony door open in our apartment to let the fresh air through. in the evening it's cool and relaxing, and helps us save on our utilities!

in addition to the weed smell that permeates through our apartment whenever the hvac system is on at night, one of the guys downstairs goes out to smoke a cigarette every half hour. so I have to close to balcony door every half hour because the smoke goes up and into our apartment. it's not cooling down in here at all because the door needs to be open for the air to circulate well.

:sigh:

I feel your pain here. I used to live in a nice little apartment back in the US, and once spring came, it was so nice to be able to open up the front windows and let the place air out, plus open windows on cooler nights to let in fresh air. Til the retired dude moved in downstairs. He commandeered the communal front deck/stoop/porch shared by four apartments, and sat outside all day YELLING LOUDLY INTO HIS PHONE and chainsmoking what my best guess is poo poo wrapped in cheap paper. No more open windows, and I ended up buying white noise machine so that I didn't have to listen to him recap whatever current sports he'd seen the night before.

Dude was deaf as a post, so would crank up his TV and radio so loudly that I could keep a record of everything he watched. He also stayed up til 4 or 5 am (about the time I had to get up for work), blasting the TV/radio while he played online poker. I ended up having to move my bed into my living room because the bedroom was directly over his study.

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010

cinni posted:

I hate going through the drive thru at a fast food place, only wanting maybe a cheap dollar burger or one item, and the person in front of me has ordered half the menu for god knows how many people (or maybe just themselves). If you know you are going to be placing a large order to go, go inside to order and wait politely so other people can use the 'fast' convenience of the drive thru. "Ok there's their bag of food, time for them to go... oh wait, one more.... they aren't going.... and another.... and here's the sodas..." and of course then they have to tap on the window again and argue/discuss something or get more of something holding things up further (don't forget to meticulously check all your hordes of food bags) before finally.... slooooowly pulling off into the yonder.

My nightmare scenario: I walk into the local bakery on the way into work to pick up a Danish. There is a line, so I have to wait patiently for a few minutes. The person ahead of me gets to the counter and says "I'd like to get a dozen pastries". The next ten minutes are excruciating. "Uh, how about one of those? And what is that one? No, I think I'll do something else. OK, that's like 9, right? Can you remind me what I got again?" Never does this manage to be simple.

genetic_knockout
May 8, 2007

Who's a good boy
We just got back from vacation, and I have experienced another peeve!

While we were away, my sister in law was kind enough to take care of our cat. She said she would come over every other day or so to look after her and spend some time with her. Since sil currently lives with her annoying as gently caress mom, we said she could basically just stay at our place if she wanted to get away for a bit. She definitely took advantage of this offer and basically moved right in for the whole 3 weeks and made herself right at home! I'm talking...we come back from vacation and the place is a disaster. She has garbage piled up on the counters, has purchased groceries that are now rotting in our fridge, invited people over and drank our liquor, took the pillows off of our bed to use, piled dirty towels up in my bathroom, and filled my shower with piles of her shampoo bottles, like 5 razors (how many do you need??!!), and a sketchy tube of Vagisil.

The icing on the cake was when we were flying home she texted us being like "hope you don't mind that I'm staying over for the weekend!". Like, really? You can't let us be alone in our own home to decompress for two days before having to go back to work? Man. I feel like this is annoying me way more than it should, but I just want to relax on my last days of vacay without having to play hostess and clean up after her!!

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

It's the classic "give them an inch and they'll take a mile" scenario. Put your foot down and demand she clean her mess up and reimburse you for what she stole from you or she's no longer welcome at your house when you're not there to supervise her.

genetic_knockout
May 8, 2007

Who's a good boy

It's the classic "give them an inch and they'll take a mile" scenario. Put your foot down and demand she clean her mess up and reimburse you for what she stole from you or she's no longer welcome at your house when you're not there to supervise her.

100%. Although I am letting my husband deal with it because it is his sister, and they are close and have a good rapport. So he will be able to tell her to gently caress off in a nice way that she will listen to lol

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Yeah an in-law literally trashing your place is a gently caress of a lot more than just a peeve, that is unbelievable

My phone keeps adjusting its own brightness at arbitrary times. Why are you doing that. Do not do that.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

walrusman posted:

Offer your guest a drink and do your own drat host duties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Man, when I housesat for people I was always loving petrified of breaking something. I never slept in the master bedroom just in case my period decided to come early or something like that.

N'th the people who wait in line, and like automatons, suddenly remember they don't know what they are doing here until they are asked a set of certain questions.
"Can I help you?"
"Ummmm...."

When I worked at McDonalds, I hated, loving hated the drive-thru because I always felt like we needed a $10 limit. You want to order 5 meals and ice cream and poo poo? Get your fat rear end inside! It was also a pleasure to deal with people driving up, after waiting in line for some minutes, to the order box, and go, "UUUUUmmmmm.....I need a....no. I need a number....do you guys have chicken sandwiches?"

Or people asking their kids what they wanted. Making the kid who can barely speak stammer and whisper he wants a hamburger.

KNOW YOUR poo poo.

Here, peeve. When your ISP goes out, and the hold music is broken with "For faster service, visit our website at fuckyou.com!" There needs to be a loving "service is out in your area" when you dial in, in case it is in fact everyone in your zip code loving out!