Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

SpacePig posted:

I had unlocked Majima's Legend fighting style before the major confrontation with Nishitani, and when Nishitani used a move from the Legend set, I out-loud said "Awww, he's his inspiration". Then the following scene solidified it for me. Nishitani changed Majima's outlook on things forever.

There's some of that, but I think they key moment is the meeting with Shimano, when he's outright told that all of the bad poo poo that's happened to him lately came as a direct result of him being really goddamn predictable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

This probably made the rounds already.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Honestly, Shimano's & Co. plan doesn't seem too well thought out. I spent half of Majima's history going "why the hell did you do that?" at everyone, and the reveal doesn't make it any more less dumb.

EDIT: more is different than less :v:

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Feb 23, 2017

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I wasn't terribly impressed with either ending - at least, not the very endings. The game along the way was pretty drat great, but I feel like I'm mostly in it to see what level of Bad Dad Kiryu will hit next.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Fat Samurai posted:

Honestly, Shimano's & Co. plan doesn't seem too well thought out. I spent half of Majima's history going "why the hell did you do that?" at everyone, and the reveal doesn't make it any more dumb.

Yeah, I'm pretty disappointed with the Maijima side of the plot. It coulda been a tight thriller plot, but it just turned into a bunch of people doing stupid poo poo for no reason.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Ratoslov posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty disappointed with the Maijima side of the plot. It coulda been a tight thriller plot, but it just turned into a bunch of people doing stupid poo poo for no reason.

you're not a fan of Burn After Reading?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I don't know, Shimano exploiting someone's empathy is some stone-cold poo poo. It's kind of far-fetched and it's a miracle everything lined up to his plan but him counting on Majima not killing a blind woman was pretty ruthless.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Jimbot posted:

it's a miracle everything lined up to his plan

welcome to the plot of literally every one of these games (that's come out in english)

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Jimbot posted:

I don't know, Shimano exploiting someone's empathy is some stone-cold poo poo. It's kind of far-fetched and it's a miracle everything lined up to his plan but him counting on Majima not killing a blind woman was pretty ruthless.

Shimano seem like a guy who is at least partially aware that "Wouldn't be loving sweet if I did X" is the best way to go about things in his world. Even if overall success in the very final step is a bit trickier when you aren't the protagonist :v: (Yes I'm aware of his eventual fate).

mikeycp posted:

welcome to the plot of literally every one of these games (that's come out in english)

As an admitted "Zero is the first one I've actually PLAYED!" guy (I need to get back on watching your LPs, by the way), I'm glad to hear my casual outsider's perspective wasn't too far off point there.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

mikeycp posted:

How many times does someone almost shoot Kiryu to only later take a bullet for him later

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I am deeply disappointed that the Legend styles are locked behind the money making sidequests and not during a pivotal moment in the story.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
"And just so you know, fist fighting is considered the most hardcore and cool."

What a great game.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Marogareh posted:

I am deeply disappointed that the Legend styles are locked behind the money making sidequests and not during a pivotal moment in the story.

Its because they are kind of overpowered. Well, Majima's style is.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I've been doing a lot of sidequests along the way, and it's reminding me a lot of Xenoblade Chronicles X sidequests, but actually entertaining. Although Majima's story/character is developing really strangely, since two of the first things I did as him were (a) catch some UFO catcher toys for a little girl who now insists on calling me daddy, and (b) pretend to be some random girl's boyfriend to get her dad to stop trying to set her up with men, only to have the dad both see right through the guise and fall in love with me. Goro-chan......

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Capsaicin posted:

"And just so you know, fist fighting is considered the most hardcore and cool."

What a great game.

"Never even seen a boob!"

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Section Z posted:

As an admitted "Zero is the first one I've actually PLAYED!" guy (I need to get back on watching your LPs, by the way), I'm glad to hear my casual outsider's perspective wasn't too far off point there.

and they're usually much more poorly written than 0 as well! (Also yes you do need to get back on watching! We're on the 3rd game now!)

exploded mummy posted:

How many times does someone almost shoot Kiryu to only later take a bullet for him later

enough

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I disliked how that happened at the end of Majima's story, it felt way too quick for someone he hasn't interacted with much compared to Kiryu.

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

I just picked this game up ona whim, knowing nothing about the series, and holy poo poo it is the best game I have played in a long time. Pretty much everything about it is really solidly put together. I love the contrast between how totally serious and kinda OTT high drama the main plot is and how completely goofy and self-aware pretty much all the side missions are. I don't know why it works, it shouldn't work, but it totally does.

Also I would legit play an entire game based around managing the cabaret club and the wacky misadventures of Majima, Youda, Yuki and company. And I cannot stop listening to this song.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The highest compliment you can give the Yakuza games is that literally all of the side-content is optional, but everyone feels compelled to do at least some of it anyway (even if they complain about it).

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

precision posted:

The highest compliment you can give the Yakuza games is that literally all of the side-content is optional, but everyone feels compelled to do at least some of it anyway (even if they complain about it).

Not true, Slot Car racing is mandatory (Majima how dare you insult the honor of glorious tiny car racing :argh:)

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

precision posted:

I was on board to do all of that poo poo to the brim until I tried Mahjong. Blah.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Random Integer posted:

I just picked this game up ona whim, knowing nothing about the series, and holy poo poo it is the best game I have played in a long time. Pretty much everything about it is really solidly put together. I love the contrast between how totally serious and kinda OTT high drama the main plot is and how completely goofy and self-aware pretty much all the side missions are. I don't know why it works, it shouldn't work, but it totally does.

Also I would legit play an entire game based around managing the cabaret club and the wacky misadventures of Majima, Youda, Yuki and company. And I cannot stop listening to this song.

Every time I play a Yakuza game I end up singing this loving thing for weeks. :sigh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7-OrA7v34M

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Section Z posted:

Not true, Slot Car racing is mandatory (Majima how dare you insult the honor of glorious tiny car racing :argh:)

I still cannot loving win the first Pro-Am race, it's only like the 4th or 5th race total? Either my car is too slow and literally gets stuck in the track because of the Stabilizers, or my car is too fast and runs off the track even if I don't boost. It's driving me sideways.

e: I think I'm gonna boot up 5 and play some Sane Taxi

Ceramics
May 26, 2014

precision posted:

I've also been thinking about replaying Kiryu's part of 5 mostly just for the taxi stuff. I'd play a whole game of that poo poo I love it.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

precision posted:

I still cannot loving win the first Pro-Am race, it's only like the 4th or 5th race total? Either my car is too slow and literally gets stuck in the track because of the Stabilizers, or my car is too fast and runs off the track even if I don't boost. It's driving me sideways.
All the races except the final ones should be fairly easy with the motor from the secret password shop guy. It gives enough extra acceleration and speed that it mostly becomes a matter of picking the fastest frame that won't cause you to fly off the track.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

precision posted:

Sindai posted:

All the races except the final ones should be fairly easy with the motor from the secret password shop guy. It gives enough extra acceleration and speed that it mostly becomes a matter of picking the fastest frame that won't cause you to fly off the track.
Yeah no joke, this philosophy of "Whatever won't loose top speed while sticking to the track" let me beat pocket fighter with a 39/45 value car top speed stat of 51 :v:

The final non subquest race track is the only one I had to try and focus more on speed than laughing as I went from last to first as soon as any of the NPC cars so much as looked at a loop the loop. I always saved any boost for the absolute last second in the last lap though, the times I needed it. It still counts as a win if you fly off the track AFTER the finish line.

oh right. check if it's a 12 lap race. If it's a 12 lap race, use the longer lasting battery. Spiked tires are also a must for any tracks with the long green strips, as those are astroturf.

As for stabilizers? They are great in the early races, but in the later ones they just gently caress you over. They weight the most out of everything (I swear by the bumper plate and shocks though, you get a bumper plate by buying the car at the pawn shop). And the later tracks are so complex that a 99 cornering stat plus stabilizers will still send you flying off the track, where a mere 70+ balance but not going warp speed over a hill or taking a 90 degree turn at the bottom of a slope would manage.

Also, Murphys law means I got the million yen vending machine motor AFTER I was all done with pocket circuit, as the very first vending machine I used :downs:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah but you guys I have that motor, I literally don't know what I'm doing wrong, I usually don't even make it one lap :negative:

The 8 year olds are gonna give me so much poo poo, forever.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Fix posted:

This probably made the rounds already.

New thread title. Yakuza 0: WAS THE CHICKEN THAT INFLUENTIAL

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

enojy posted:

I was on board to do all of that poo poo to the brim until I tried Mahjong. Blah.

Mahjong is really really good though??

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
Holy gently caress did they actually get Lenne Hardt for this? Persona 5 has its work cut out for it.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

enojy posted:

Check my posts for a big ol' primer on how to play Mahjong. It's cool and good once you've got the basics down.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Stelas posted:

Check my posts for a big ol' primer on how to play Mahjong. It's cool and good once you've got the basics down.

I also did a video on it for my Yakuza 2 LP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_zW3RJIi7s

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Chexoid posted:

Holy gently caress did they actually get Lenne Hardt for this? Persona 5 has its work cut out for it.

Wow what

I put Yakuza on pause because I'm super happy with Nioh, but this is something else to look forward to.

(also for folks who haven't played it - Nioh owns bones, it's like Bloodborne/Souls but more customizable and the early parts are a bit more accessible while still being difficult).

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Stelas posted:

Thanks for this.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Chexoid posted:

Yes shes the ring announcer for Purgatory

such a minor role and they picked the absolute best person :allears:

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
The Catfights are as cringeworthy and bad as the rest of the game is good. It's amazing how it manages to be random, boring, difficult and otaku as gently caress, all in one.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Deceitful Penguin posted:

The Catfights are as cringeworthy and bad as the rest of the game is good. It's amazing how it manages to be random, boring, difficult and otaku as gently caress, all in one.

No, it's not even Otaku as gently caress. It's not even fanservice, it's just.. Really bad in all aspects of the scenario

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?
Oh man, who's got two thumbs and just lost about 7 hours of postgame progress because he forgot that this game doesn't autosave?

<:(>

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

GlenMR posted:

Oh man, who's got two thumbs and just lost about 7 hours of postgame progress because he forgot that this game doesn't autosave?

<:(>

Ouch. I thought I got hosed when I sat through almost the entirety of chapter 4 (mostly cutscenes) only to have the game crash when I played a game of poker without saving at all. That was only like 30 minutes worth, and thankfully you can skip a lot of the cutscenes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

Can anyone explain what you need to do to trigger the Essence of Weapon Grab heat move in Thug style? I unlocked it for Majima and for the life of me cannot get it to prompt. I've spent like six fights just moving around dudes with daggers/bats with full heat and no prompts ever come up. Can't find any videos on it anywhere :(