Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
Turns out you have a lot in common with corbynites

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I want a labour government and vote labour so I'm exactly the opposite.

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

Pissflaps posted:

I want a labour government and vote labour so I'm exactly the opposite.

If you spent half as much time and energy supporting the Labour party as you do attacking it they'd probably be ten points ahead by now.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Crashbee posted:

If you spent half as much time and energy supporting the Labour party as you do attacking it they'd probably be ten points ahead by now.

Attacking a failing labour leadership is the best way to support it at the moment.

Comrade Cheggorsky
Aug 20, 2011

"we're gonna win win win, you're gonna get so tired of winning, you're gonna say "Mr Prime Minister please we dont want to win anymore its too much winning we cant take it anymore" - Tony Blair

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Comrade Cheggorsky posted:

"we're gonna win

win

win

*moves hands*

, you're gonna get so tired of winning,

*looks at imaginary audience*

you're gonna say "Mr Prime Minister
please
*moves hands*
we dont want to win anymore

its too much winning

*moves hands*
we cant take it anymore" - Tony Blair

there I just wrote a blair speech

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Prince John posted:

I got the gist of what he was saying, but I think we need to be comfortable with this if we want to have a broad range of people representing us in parliament.

There will be a correlation between the people who never gently caress up metaphors in public speaking and those whose schools had debating societies, public speaking competitions and a pathway to prestigious universities.

It's a problem for the direction of politics, especially if politicians that we might consider to be authentic voices of the working class then get described by the public as 'a bit charity shop', or are not taken as seriously because they have accents or don't use big words.

I wasn't completely serious, but you make a reasonable point. In fact I don't think clever rhetoric and big words are what's needed though. Classical allusions and highbrow literary references are all well and good in a university debate or Guardian opinion piece when the whole point is to show off how smart and well read you are, but I'd really rather that public speakers used little words and just tried to put their points over clearly and simply. You see people overreaching their vocabulary and rhetorical skills all the time in student papers, in political speeches, on forums, and it's pretty rare that they wouldn't have been better served just using everyday, easy to understand language.

Basically Orwell was right: http://www.orwell.ru/library/essays/politics/english/e_polit/

quote:

The writer either has a meaning and cannot express it, or he inadvertently says something else, or he is almost indifferent as to whether his words mean anything or not. This mixture of vagueness and sheer incompetence is the most marked characteristic of modern English prose, and especially of any kind of political writing. As soon as certain topics are raised, the concrete melts into the abstract and no one seems able to think of turns of speech that are not hackneyed: prose consists less and less of words chosen for the sake of their meaning, and more and more of phrases tacked together like the sections of a prefabricated hen-house.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Feb 25, 2017

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Spangly A posted:

there I just wrote a blair speech

Cutting edge satire. The folks back in 1996 will love this.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
When are you cornynismo people going to just break down and start calling it the "lamestream media" like nutters do over here.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

big scary monsters posted:

I wasn't completely serious, but you make a reasonable point. In fact I don't think clever rhetoric and big words are what's needed though. Classical allusions and highbrow literary references are all well and good in a university debate or Guardian opinion piece when the whole point is to show off how smart and well read you are, but I'd really rather that public speakers used little words and just tried to put their points over clearly and simply. You see people overreaching their vocabulary and rhetorical skills all the time in student papers, in political speeches, on forums, and it's pretty rare that they wouldn't have been better served just using everyday, easy to understand language.

Basically Orwell was right: http://www.orwell.ru/library/essays/politics/english/e_polit/

The decline in language use in American presidents is an interesting trend, predictably Bush was the dumbest motherfucker that ever spoke from the office but I want to see if Trump can last a whole presidency without ever using more a wordcount above gcse level

hakimashou posted:

When are you cornynismo people going to just break down and start calling it the "lamestream media" like nutters do over here.

lol calm down genocide fan

Pissflaps posted:

you want to kiss tony blair on the mouth, haha

Spangly A fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Feb 25, 2017

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Pissflaps posted:

Corbyn's 'base' is tiny and doesnt necessarily vote labour or want a labour government. Appealing to them is a waste of time.

It might be, but I still think aspiring to give honest, reasoned and authentic answers to questions is something our politics desperately needs.

If enough Labour politicians do it, even our dozy public might realise there's a difference between 'them' and 'the rest of them' and I'd stop hearing "they're all the same" on the doorstep over and over and over again. :bang:

Thanks, that's reminded me that I really need to find some time to settle down with a few Orwell books.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Prince John posted:

Thanks, that's reminded me that I really need to find some time to settle down with a few Orwell books.

Down and Out is a fantastic book for the ol' hope, in that it demonstrates a racist confronting some of their views and evolving as a person. Even if he does constantly lie about being a toff.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Spangly A posted:

Down and Out is a fantastic book for the ol' hope, in that it demonstrates a racist confronting some of their views and evolving as a person. Even if he does constantly lie about being a toff.
There's one particular sentence that makes me crease up whenever I read it, and it's the bit where he's working in some dingy Parisian cafe with a little old lady who he thinks the world of, but the stress, long hours and filth of the dingy kitchen leads to him flipping out and calling that little old woman a loving whore because she kept moving his bin.

Homage to Catalonia is the cat's pyjamas as well.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Also i quote it and mention it constantly itt but Jack London's People of the Abyss is the prototype for Down and Out, and is worth everybody's time.

And if you're bothering with Homage to Catalonia you'll want to try "As I Walked Out one Midsummer Morning" if only for the taste or scent of revolutionary Spain.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Prince John posted:

It might be, but I still think aspiring to give honest, reasoned and authentic answers to questions is something our politics desperately needs.

If enough Labour politicians do it, even our dozy public might realise there's a difference between 'them' and 'the rest of them' and I'd stop hearing "they're all the same" on the doorstep over and over and over again. :bang:
Its to late innit, there isn't going to be any more reasoned debate for the vast majority of people. You just have to think up some bullshit and hope it trends.

e: thinking about it its no different from populist movements of the past, its just quicker and impersonal

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Prince John posted:

It's fun to see Orwell complaining (in 1946!) about how words like "fascist" and "democracy" have become so vague in their meaning as to be useless, just ways of talking about politicals ideas that you like or dislike.

And yeah his books are good, I've not read all his fiction but the nonfiction is all interesting and worth a look. As Spangly says, bear in mind that Orwell's portrayal of himself is a little unreliable and Down and Out in particular should be considered a "creative" account at least, but it's a great piece of writing. The scenes and characterisations in Paris slums and cafés are particularly good, it's a short book but you really feel you get to know the area and the people.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
I love all of those books because Orwell always comes across as kind of bumbling, and never really fitting in. Homage to Catalonia is great because it's at once an astonishing idealistic phenomenon and super interesting, yet on the ground it just becomes an absolute farce. Towards the end where he is just bopping around from place to place, not taking the danger seriously as Franco's troops are moving in, and his wife flies in to take him home. Then through sheer dumb luck he avoids being arrested and nearly everybody else with him gets imprisoned.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

That 'Keep the Aspidistra Flying' was so loving depressing ive never re-read it despite having read 1984 and Animal farm a zillion times.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
For me, his non-fiction is where it's at. He was at best a ham-fisted fiction author. All his narratives are just vehicles for a philosophical point, and it doesn't make for particularly enthralling characters or reading. Obviously the messages behind his fiction works are interesting, but they aren't exactly deep or well-written.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

hakimashou posted:

Top bantz.

Pissflaps posted:

Here in Wales we have a saying for people like you. gently caress off boyo. That's what we say.

Regarde Aduck fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Feb 25, 2017

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Regarde Aduck posted:

Here in Wales we have a saying for people like you. gently caress off boyo. That's what we say.

Then what happens?

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Pissflaps posted:

Then what happens?

Then Boyo fucks off, it's a very simple system. We've got it all sorted out over here in Wales.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
how comes theyve got so many ukip voters in wales then

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
lol alright sadiq, how many of the racist mugs do you own?

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/scottish-nationalism-same-racism-says-9913799

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Kurtofan posted:

They assume you're saying it to the imaginary immigrants and it ends up encouraging them

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Oberleutnant posted:

There's one particular sentence that makes me crease up whenever I read it, and it's the bit where he's working in some dingy Parisian cafe with a little old lady who he thinks the world of, but the stress, long hours and filth of the dingy kitchen leads to him flipping out and calling that little old woman a loving whore because she kept moving his bin.

Homage to Catalonia is the cat's pyjamas as well.

I like where he mocks other writers grasp of cockney before boldly predicting the word gently caress would disappear

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Kurtofan posted:

Telling people to gently caress off is kind of UKIP's thing, we're a natural target.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Kurtofan posted:

Economic Anxiety.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Kurtofan posted:

Even percentage wise, we have fewer than England.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

He's entirely right. Nationalism is bad.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Man, I was watching the Corbyn speech and I was kind of struck by 1: How good he is at that kind of angry injustice takedown, and 2: Why on earth that's not his thing. Like, people are right; I'm generally more into politics than most people (I had to take a break about a month ago, but I'd say over the past two years I've had significantly more interest than most), and I've been pro-Corbyn most of that time, and I haven't seen, either because I missed it (which is pretty wild since I get emails from Labour as a member and generally kept abreast of this thread) or because it's not there. And, either way, that's a significant failing; Corbyn has a real asset in being an angry firebrand and it's somehow not really gone anywhere for two years.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

spectralent posted:

Man, I was watching the Corbyn speech and I was kind of struck by 1: How good he is at that kind of angry injustice takedown, and 2: Why on earth that's not his thing. Like, people are right; I'm generally more into politics than most people (I had to take a break about a month ago, but I'd say over the past two years I've had significantly more interest than most), and I've been pro-Corbyn most of that time, and I haven't seen, either because I missed it (which is pretty wild since I get emails from Labour as a member and generally kept abreast of this thread) or because it's not there. And, either way, that's a significant failing; Corbyn has a real asset in being an angry firebrand and it's somehow not really gone anywhere for two years.

He has a few on his FB page now and then but in person he's pretty good. But this is the point people repeat about tabloid journalism; he is doing these things. He is doing them every day. He outcampaigned most of his whiney peers for Remain. And yet when I saw him give a pretty brutal takedown on the failings of liberalism viz; education, healthcare, and the death of local industry in ramsgate, nothing shows up. When the same backbenchers want a cry every day in the mail, they get front page news. The loud anti-corbyn block is quite small, gets a shitload of press coverage, and absolutely nobody outside of active labour supporters knows or cares who they are.

e; maybe it's a holdover from his kinder, gentler politics thing? that was a miserable failure so he should just ramp the poo poo out of the "why are our families unable to get jobs" stuff.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Spangly A posted:

He outcampaigned most of his whiney peers for Remain.

This definitely happened.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Pissflaps posted:

This definitely happened.

it did, days on the road he smashes the poo poo out of Jarvis, Phillips et al. You're doing the trump counter-reality thing now, it doesn't suit you.

e; flaps I want to add that your argument has been for two years "why isnt he doing more" and he's always doing it but it doesn't make the news because he visibly dislikes the press. All the smarmy London media cunts I know hate him personally because he makes them feel uncomfortable about being parasites.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Spangly A posted:

it did, days on the road he smashes the poo poo out of Jarvis, Phillips et al. You're doing the trump counter-reality thing now, it doesn't suit you.

I prefer to think I'm ignoring its contextual nature.

Spangly A posted:

e; flaps I want to add that your argument has been for two years "why isnt he doing more" and he's always doing it but it doesn't make the news because he visibly dislikes the press.

Fabulous strategy.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Coohoolin posted:

lol alright sadiq, how many of the racist mugs do you own?
He owned most of them at the mayoral election.

I'll be interested to see what he has to say about 'a more federal UK', because that's something I'd like to see, only replace 'more federal' with 'actually federal, sovereignty is granted to Westminster by the regions, not vice versa, with something in writing too'.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

He's entirely right. Nationalism is bad.

For a second I thought he might actually be speaking out against the rising tide of English nationalism, but no, he's gone up to Scotland to criticise them for wanting to break away from the tyre fire that is England.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Spangly A posted:

He has a few on his FB page now and then but in person he's pretty good. But this is the point people repeat about tabloid journalism; he is doing these things. He is doing them every day. He outcampaigned most of his whiney peers for Remain. And yet when I saw him give a pretty brutal takedown on the failings of liberalism viz; education, healthcare, and the death of local industry in ramsgate, nothing shows up. When the same backbenchers want a cry every day in the mail, they get front page news. The loud anti-corbyn block is quite small, gets a shitload of press coverage, and absolutely nobody outside of active labour supporters knows or cares who they are.

e; maybe it's a holdover from his kinder, gentler politics thing? that was a miserable failure so he should just ramp the poo poo out of the "why are our families unable to get jobs" stuff.

Yeah, maybe, but, as I said, I'm a labour member. Why isn't there a list of this stuff going to me? Why doesn't stuff keep showing up in this pro-left thread?

I feel like someone's dropping a ball here. I can buy that the media's a problem for the fact speeches aren't hitting the papers and evening news, but I take more interest than most people and try and keep up to date on party stuff I'm aware of, and I don't see it either, and that's pretty much direct from labour to me. Someone's hosed up somewhere.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

jabby posted:

For a second I thought he might actually be speaking out against the rising tide of English nationalism, but no, he's gone up to Scotland to criticise them for wanting to break away from the tyre fire that is England.
(he's talking about both)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

spectralent posted:

I feel like someone's dropping a ball here. I can buy that the media's a problem for the fact speeches aren't hitting the papers and evening news, but I take more interest than most people and try and keep up to date on party stuff I'm aware of, and I don't see it either, and that's pretty much direct from labour to me. Someone's hosed up somewhere.

Well either a) Corbyn is frequently making these amazing speeches that you have to witness in person to understand and nobody is bothering to video them or talk about them anywhere on social media.

Or b) he isn't.

• Locked thread