Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Well,

Broken timing belt, replaced it and it still ran. Drove for 3-4 months and it started intermittently doing the "fut fut" at low rpm. Eventually it got bad all at once and I limped it home at 6000rpm, breaking many traffic laws trying to keep it from dying.

My theory is slightly bent valve(s) started getting held open over time, eventually making it die. The adventure getting it home the last time probably generated the shitloads of carbon flake and horrible looking exhaust valves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

^^ ouch

Took mine to get a new windscreen today because it was cracked like a motherfucker and wouldn't pass MOT otherwise. I'm amazed that I can now actually see properly through it, the old one was scratched to gently caress which made driving at night in the rain somewhat hairy. I was also missing a piece of windscreen trim which a friend has supplied me with buuuuuuuuuuut I'd need to get it all stripped and painted up so I just asked the guy if he could use some stripping on it instead (or as a temporary measure) but it looks clean so I may leave it as is.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I did the left front wheelbearing, thinking it was the bad one. Also the left front balljoint because the one on my spare knuckle was trash and I knew the one on the car was rusted solidly into the old knuckle (gently caress subaru.)

The noise was still present so I did the right one too. The best part was discovering some idiot used the other spare balljoint and put the bad one in its box, after tearing the car apart, blocking all other usable vehicles in the driveway. So in an act of desperation I used an angle grinder to cut an old bad knuckle apart to get a used balljoint out of it intact, and used that. I feel dirty. Ordering another new balljoint for next weekend...

At least the car has good wheelbearings now. It was so bad Thursday night that I was starting to worry about making it all the way home from work.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

kastein posted:

At least the car has good wheelbearings now. It was so bad Thursday night that I was starting to worry about making it all the way home from work.

It's not bad until the ABS light comes on... because the bearing is so loose the tone ring hits the sensor.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

chrisgt posted:

It's not bad until the ABS light comes on... because the bearing is so loose the tone ring hits the sensor.

It was maybe a few hundred miles from that point. What little grease remained was milky and full of metal and some of the bearings are clearly pitted.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CY-EKWFgrjI

The other side had less grease but the bearings weren't pitted *yet*. Has the knuckles and bearings from my old car on it now, which had at most 30k miles on them. And one new balljoint, and one... quality preowned balljoint :v:

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
my steering system is leaking all over the lower control arm. I've heard the steering racks for first gen CTS-Vs are a nightmare to find so hopefully it's a line. I know it won't be.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Finished regular maintenance on the XRS and took it for a spin.

I know cars always seem to run better after a tune up, but replacing the maybe 1qt of gross (used to be) gear oil, with 2qts Lucas synthetic in the transaxle really seemed to smooth out the syncros. Seemed to improve on the old butt dyno too. :q:

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Installed my Turbosmart 50/50 blow-off valve. Got my Accessport on Saturday, gonna set it up tonight or tomorrow. Rear motor mount goes on once I have access to a lift. Hooray for productivity!

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
I put my summer tires back on. It's been too nice out lately to keep the snows on

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

[-4] Flaw: Heart Broken - Tehk is extremely lonely. The Gay Empire's ultimate weapon finds it hard to have time for love.
used my prius as a truck

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

tehk posted:

used my prius as a truck

Is that an Opel GT in the background? Knowing your friends, I'm interested in what crazy hijinks are going on with that.

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

[-4] Flaw: Heart Broken - Tehk is extremely lonely. The Gay Empire's ultimate weapon finds it hard to have time for love.

Raluek posted:

Is that an Opel GT in the background? Knowing your friends, I'm interested in what crazy hijinks are going on with that.

Just your everyday a big block ford rat rod opel GT project

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

tehk posted:

:popeye:

Yep, that's about what I expected. Why are my friends so lame???

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Elsa posted:

my steering system is leaking all over the lower control arm. I've heard the steering racks for first gen CTS-Vs are a nightmare to find so hopefully it's a line. I know it won't be.

Same thing happened to mine. I kept topping it up after replacing the line and sold it before the pump whine got any worse. When I was looking on rockauto ~5 years back, I think racks were about $400. I'm sure you could send yours off somewhere be rebuilt though if you can't find one.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Feb 27, 2017

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Larrymer posted:

Same thing happened to mine. I kept topping it up after replacing the line and sold it before the pump whine got any worse. When I was looking on rockauto ~5 years back, I think racks were about $400. I'm sure you could send yours off somewhere be rebuilt though if you can't find one.

I'll install a catch can under the leak and put the fluid back in maybe. $400's not that bad I guess. It would be the installation.

I do that thing now where you check the asphalt after backing out of parking spots.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

tehk posted:

Jesus tap-dancing Christ is there anything you and your friends don't have going on?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Jymmybob posted:

Used Kenwood HU keys to try to get out the stereo without luck so now I have to pull the entire center console.
You can buy a set of head unit removal tools for like $20 that includes funky-shaped keys for pretty much every OEM HU, might be worth trying that rather than taking out the whole console. Just don't ask any parts-shop employees for "stereo removal tools" because all you'll get is the Ford U-shaped hooks and a whole bunch of stupid facial expressions.

opengl128 posted:

Its coming from the airbox that the center dash vents come from.
You might be able to cut through the plastic wall of the duct supplying those vents, remove a piece, get that irritating thing out, then seal it back up. I replaced my Ranger's blend-door by going straight up from about where the passenger's feet are, following the instructions that came with my $10 replacement door. Waaaaaay easier than the take-away-everything-forward-of-the-steering-wheel approach that I thought would be necessary. The kit came with the replacement door and a strip of metal tape. I cut in with a box cutter (I don't have a Dremel, the recommended tool), cut out a roughly-trianglular piece, made the swap (lining up the spindle on the motor with the hole on the top of the door was the hardest part), then put the cut-out part back in and taped it all up. It's thin, cheap plastic because all it has to do is keep air moving in the right direction, so a sturdy knife will push through it pretty easily.

Can you get to a reasonable view of the side or bottom of the duct that feeds those center vents?

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

IOwnCalculus posted:

Jesus tap-dancing Christ is there anything you and your friends don't have going on?
We dont do losing to Lambos, McLarens, or GTRs. Not to support the trope of "built not bought" but none of my friends are buying what instagram thinks are fast cars. Though we are spending crazy money, for us, on our projects.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

ExecuDork posted:

You can buy a set of head unit removal tools for like $20 that includes funky-shaped keys for pretty much every OEM HU, might be worth trying that rather than taking out the whole console. Just don't ask any parts-shop employees for "stereo removal tools" because all you'll get is the Ford U-shaped hooks and a whole bunch of stupid facial expressions.

You might be able to cut through the plastic wall of the duct supplying those vents, remove a piece, get that irritating thing out, then seal it back up. I replaced my Ranger's blend-door by going straight up from about where the passenger's feet are, following the instructions that came with my $10 replacement door. Waaaaaay easier than the take-away-everything-forward-of-the-steering-wheel approach that I thought would be necessary. The kit came with the replacement door and a strip of metal tape. I cut in with a box cutter (I don't have a Dremel, the recommended tool), cut out a roughly-trianglular piece, made the swap (lining up the spindle on the motor with the hole on the top of the door was the hardest part), then put the cut-out part back in and taped it all up. It's thin, cheap plastic because all it has to do is keep air moving in the right direction, so a sturdy knife will push through it pretty easily.

Can you get to a reasonable view of the side or bottom of the duct that feeds those center vents?
Seconding this. I would cut through the bottom and fish around with tape on the end of a probe. You could even give the tape probe a shot through the vents first. Maybe also through the filter or intake in front of the windshield. There's a flexible wire type of product for running cable through pipes that would be a good choice.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Elsa posted:

I'll install a catch can under the leak and put the fluid back in maybe. $400's not that bad I guess. It would be the installation.

I do that thing now where you check the asphalt after backing out of parking spots.

There's still some there (rockauto) it looks like. I remember needing a weird wrench to get to the high pressure line on the rack through the wheel well. One which I returned back to the store after using. :ninja: It might have just been a flared wrench or stubby wrench, though. Something about the angle was strange and my normal tools didn't seem to do it.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

tehk posted:

We dont do losing to Lambos, McLarens, or GTRs. Not to support the trope of "built not bought" but none of my friends are buying what instagram thinks are fast cars. Though we are spending crazy money, for us, on our projects.

You guys need to start a facebook fanpage or some poo poo to post up your stuff.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Get them SA accounts stat

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Got my Euro goodie box from InitialDave today -

'02 Facelift upper grille (US spec grille on the driveway where it belongs) meaning my hood lock cylinder will no longer be exposed to the elements.

Also...

Locking fuel door, dashboard clock & harness and Ghia badges. Plus a bunch of candy and some marmite, all packed in a pork human being box.

Thanks ID!

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Oh man what were they thinking with that US spec grille?!

Also Chomps are the poo poo and also used to cost 10p. Hell of a care package when it comes to tasty chocolates

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Oh man what were they thinking with that US spec grille?!

To be fair it has turn signals built into it that I plastidip'd over (since I have no need for them), but you can pretty much apply this to everything they did to the car when bringing it here. There's a reason Euro trim pieces and some body panels (I have matching bumpers to go with the grill, the car's just in winter drag at the moment) were so popular among the enthusiast crowd.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

God I love marmite. The missus thinks it's vile.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

tehk posted:

The instagram cult following stuff is hilarious because most of the stuff coming out of these 'big name' shops is absolute garbage build quality wise, doesn't run well, and involves screwing over customers. LTMW cars, Libertywalk, the S54s with no plenum when getting the OEM CSL poo poo working correctly is already a miracle, etc.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Feb 27, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well it only took 4 years after I noticed it but I'm finally free of the previous owner's fuckery.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Rhyno posted:

Well it only took 4 years after I noticed it but I'm finally free of the previous owner's fuckery.

There were some lovely restrictions there. I bet you notice a difference in powah. Turbos like as little backpressure as possible.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Seminal Flu posted:

There were some lovely restrictions there. I bet you notice a difference in powah. Turbos like as little backpressure as possible.

I have the catless downpipe to put on as well but I need to wait on that or it could go kaboom.

Sadly work has halted because not one single goddamned auto parts store has exhaust hangers with 12mm holes.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Rhyno posted:

I have the catless downpipe to put on as well but I need to wait on that or it could go kaboom.

Sadly work has halted because not one single goddamned auto parts store has exhaust hangers with 12mm holes.

You have a 1/2" drill bit, no?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Larrymer posted:

You have a 1/2" drill bit, no?

I'm not modifying something that holds up $500 worth of metal I just bought. I can wait til saturday.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

lol it's a rubber hanger, not something structural.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Larrymer posted:

lol it's a rubber hanger, not something structural.

It's not that it didn't cross my mind but the ones AZ has are pretty poo poo, the walls around the holes are already thin as hell. I got a set of polys off Ebay from a high feedback seller for $25.

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I'm not modifying something that holds up $500 worth of metal I just bought. I can wait til saturday.

If you buy it and it bolts right on you didn't buy something worth buying!

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Old B2000 has been a pain in the rear end in the last few days with lots of hesitation and stalls. So today I did some vacuum line swaps, dropped in a new ignition coil (since the one on there may have been the 30 year old original), and disconnected the wiring to some sensor a previous owner disconnected in their brilliant wisdom so that at least the computer isn't getting bunk info. Then did some swapping around of vacuum lines after finding out some of them were in the wrong spot.

Seriously gently caress whatever previous owner decided to just block off and/or rip out random vacuum line emission poo poo. It's still hesitating in mid range throttle which is probably because one valve that helps balance the vacuum in the carb is straight up missing but hopefully it'll get me to work and back for the rest of the week, then Weber time and hopefully the end of this bullshit.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
:popeye: :eyepop:

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Paid another 3 months rego and got a wheel alignment and balance. +10mm of toe would explain the funky handling and weird tyre wear quite nicely!

Three months rego is $221 now... loving sucks.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Uh yeah, massive difference from yesterday morning. No stalls or any of that bullshit, just gotta adjust my shifting to avoid that zone where it is choking.

Accurate representation of me every time I work on the truck, especially when I drained the manual trans fluid and it came out looking like thick chocolate milk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Gave it some new shoes. 17x9 +40 Konig Hypergrams in Race Bronze. Tires are Riken Raptor ZRs from on tire rack. They'd be a good tire at double their price at first impression.

The color is strange and goes from this gorgeous deep bronze in full sunlight like now to a pale grey bronze in more overcast skys. Lugs are black Muteki SR48s. One of the only decently branded steel slim line lugs I could find in a not retarded color. gently caress Neo Chrome forever.

Due to a snafu with the orignal size wheel I ordered being out of stock and only finding out after recieving the tires, I wound up with a wheel that was an inch wider than planned. This did not make the tire happy, nor the guy mounting them. But they are fully seated on the wheel and will serve well enough given how little and how sedately I drive. I plan on buying a more sensible size tire once I have a chance, but its still safer than the dry rotted bfgs that were on it. They still had tread left, but were getting damned close to chucking their belts free due to age.

And yes, all the konig labels on the center caps were purposely pointed at the logo on the lip and I spent way too much time and effort making sure it was exact.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Mar 1, 2017