Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Somewhere, in the vast expanse of my interstellar Theocracy, there is a cloning station where I can spam out Clone Soldiers

Where? Well, as far as I can tell I'm going to have to go through every single world in every single sector to find out.

I think I'm just gonna build a buncha psionic ones on every single planet instead...

You can press ctrl+number and set a tag for the planet even if it's in a sector.

e.g. ctrl+6 and then if you press 6 it will open the planet screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Yeah, but the problem is that there's not fast way to find out what is on what planet other than just going through them, one by one...

Anyway, they're only slightly superior to regular assaults at the same price; I'll just spam more armies instead.

The differences between them are super marginal anyhow. Or rather all the non-super armies...

UHhhh, is the whole "Spawn a new species from your main one" bugged right now? Because I take it they're not supposed to be called just "Meta-" and not have portraits, the same other traits as their host species or not have any pops at all on the planet they say they do...

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

ulmont posted:

I've never had that happen through conquest (only enlightening) even after maxing the tech tree.

Really? Happens to me constantly, but maybe this is because I tend to opportunistically attack people who're weaker so they tend to lag in tech anyway.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

UHhhh, is the whole "Spawn a new species from your main one" bugged right now? Because I take it they're not supposed to be called just "Meta-" and not have portraits, the same other traits as their host species or not have any pops at all on the planet they say they do...

So that's what caused this!

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Yeah, same with me, protectorates stay that way a while. Not too bad I guess, you can always use the influence.

Also uhh, those "Meta-" glitchy pops I was talking about earlier? They seem to be repugnant and be causing unhappiness on my planet.

The planet they aren't on. That they seemingly still influence. Yeah.

Oh no wait, I finally found them, they were invisible.

Why the hell did the offspring species have totally different traits? Why were they invisible? :itisamystery:

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Why the hell did the offspring species have totally different traits? Why were they invisible? :itisamystery:

Different traits is through genetic engineering.

Invisible is a bug.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

They've engineered themselves to be different but it is a known bug (that I thought had been fixed!)
Unfortunately you can't do anything to get around it, as annoying as it is. At least mine never moved to any other planets.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Yeah, same with me, protectorates stay that way a while. Not too bad I guess, you can always use the influence.

Also uhh, those "Meta-" glitchy pops I was talking about earlier? They seem to be repugnant and be causing unhappiness on my planet.

The planet they aren't on. That they seemingly still influence. Yeah.

Here's the bit of the event (pop.1) that creates those pops:
code:
		planet = { 
			owner = { set_country_flag = pop_modification } 
			set_planet_flag = pop_modification
			create_species = {
				is_mod = yes
				name = this
				plural = this
				class = this
				portrait = this
				traits = {
					trait = random_traits
				}
				homeworld = planet
			}
		}
I think the behaviour of "this" no longer works quite the same way as before, and so it is trying to pull the planet's species to reference for creating the new pops, instead of the pop's. I think this would fix it (haven't tested):
code:
		planet = { 
			owner = { set_country_flag = pop_modification } 
			set_planet_flag = pop_modification
		}
		root = { 
			create_species = {
				is_mod = yes
				name = this
				plural = this
				class = this
				portrait = this
				traits = {
					trait = random_traits
				}
				homeworld = planet
			}
		}
You can fix it in a non-ironman game through save-editing, just find the invisible pops' species entry in the save, and insert the missing info from their parent species' entry. Bit fiddly though.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Taear posted:

They've engineered themselves to be different but it is a known bug (that I thought had been fixed!)
Unfortunately you can't do anything to get around it, as annoying as it is. At least mine never moved to any other planets.
Huh, I assumed that would only be to change their continental preference. Not sure how I feel about that now, them wanting to wander when we're a totalitarian empire is, huh. I guess at least it woulda let me move them around easier?

And there is absolutely something to do about it.

You purge the poo poo outta those ugly invisible shitheads. I do find the idea of them being like, horribly smelly or really vile online or something kinda amusing because at least you don't have to look at them right?

And yeah this is Ironman, which is why it's why its the first time I got the horizon signal too.

I hear there are great prizes near the end, but do I dare try it out?

Penultimatum
Apr 2, 2010

Kinetica posted:

One right in the center of both galaxies would be cool.

Or a tech that unlocks it down the line that basically lets you be unbidden. Wiz, can the engine rapidly generate empires that are established in-game? Opening the wormhole could take some time- like building a gate, and using that time for generating empires that are established instead of keeping track of them from the start, which would help CPU wise. It would also add a level of Russian roulette- do you hit a galaxy with young empires, or do you get a hellscape overrun by the scourge or unbidden.

Don't know if it's even possible, but I can hope. :ohdear:

Maybe something less CPU intensive would be if you had orbiting galaxies ala the magellanic clouds that you could go to via mid-late game technologies to act as a sort of "new world." There could also be technology to open up the currently unnavigable galactic core. It would also be cool if they had unique resources and space monsters specific to them. Having a mechanic like this would open up the possibility for small technologically advanced "old world" empires to get a head start on their neighbors colonizing the previously inaccessible "new world."
I do like the idea of exploring other galaxies though. If you made the "wormhole generator" a megastructure with its own ascension perk it might be a good option for exploration or science focused empires. It'd be extra fun if making a hole in space-time that large would attract unwanted attention, too.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I'd kill for a way to stop protectorates/vassals placing frontier outposts, or some way to repo them.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

GotLag posted:

I'd kill for a way to stop protectorates/vassals placing frontier outposts, or some way to repo them.
It's just like a bunch of other stuff that needs rework with diplomacy. I think the decent intermediate thing would be for you to be able to both build for yourself and them in their space.

I still find it a bit amusing that as far as I can tell, the most efficient way to dismantle a large empire is to liberate as many planets from them as you can but still claiming one for yourself so the newly created dudes are willing to become your vassal/protectorate because if you don't the distance penalties are loving murder. Then you give them the planet back or make it into a sector.

You can't currently use pop mechanics to create rebels in other empires right? I just really like the idea of my rapid breeding adaptive pops going there and becoming a majority on planets or sectors, then demanding to rejoin my empire.

Also why can't we have more mapmodes? Sometimes I just wanna see different things, like just planets, just resources or where and what sector is what.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

So, we all know missiles suck, but what would it take to "fix" them? I think the #1 fix would have to be to allow them to re-target if their original targets are destroyed before they hit. Strike craft behave this way (or so it seems) so it should be do-able, although maybe not mod-able.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

GunnerJ posted:

So, we all know missiles suck, but what would it take to "fix" them? I think the #1 fix would have to be to allow them to re-target if their original targets are destroyed before they hit. Strike craft behave this way (or so it seems) so it should be do-able, although maybe not mod-able.

Point defence might need to be reduced somewhat as well. Now I always have cruisers with Fighters and point defence and if an enemy has missiles their fleet does absolutely no damage to me at all, it's crazy.

And sorry, I did forget about save editing. I only ever play on ironman or the drive to cheat is too high. I often log in as other sides and fire their fleets if they're going to do something really annoying like blow up a frontier station.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

GunnerJ posted:

I think EVE Online actually had this same problem with missiles and the short story was it would be ridiculously difficult to implement and totally counter intuitive. If you make them re-target too, aren't they basically just strike craft?

I reckon if it's possible AoE for missiles would be a really unique flavour to them. It damages a ship and other ships around it, and if that ship is dead by the time the missile hits it, the other ships still take some damage.

Considering it's the only weapon type that actually has it's own defence, i think something as powerful as AoE damage is probably OK as long as you get the balance right.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Flak/point defence cruisers basically nullify any kind of missile play past the early mid-game and it's a bit of a shame. I've never really used missiles as much as the other two lines, but point defence really is too strong. Maybe something along the lines of reducing their effective interception range or lowering the accuracy of point defence.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Kitchner posted:

I think EVE Online actually had this same problem with missiles and the short story was it would be ridiculously difficult to implement and totally counter intuitive. If you make them re-target too, aren't they basically just strike craft?

They're strike craft with a single attack. You could think of it as actual strike craft being very advanced missiles, which is not far off.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I think the problem with missiles is that even if you make them 'balanced', they're just... stupid and boring.

Kitchner posted:

The difference between the two, imo, should be DoT (and evasion) vs. Massive Damage but limited supplies.

Basically:

Your ships come with a set of missiles. They reload, but take a long rear end time. Missiles can be hard countered by point defense, but if they aren't you get the benefit of a huge alpha strike, a la the missile rains from Macross and stuff. Just, massive damage up front. But then the missile pods become essentially useless for most battles. They still retarget and stuff (in fact, you'd want retargeting before even considering this implementation)

Fighters deal DoT consistently throughout the battle until they are destroyed, so are similar to missiles in many ways but much better for long fights that you can't win with the alpha strike.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Taear posted:

And sorry, I did forget about save editing. I only ever play on ironman or the drive to cheat is too high.

You can edit iron man saves.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Kitchner posted:

You can press ctrl+number and set a tag for the planet even if it's in a sector.

e.g. ctrl+6 and then if you press 6 it will open the planet screen.

Just lol if you don't have 0 through 9 bound to a different shipyard so you can properly mass produce ships

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Bohemian Nights posted:

Just lol if you don't have 0 through 9 bound to a different shipyard so you can properly mass produce ships

I tried doing this for a while and found there weren't many circumstances where I had the need to produce ships this quickly and the minerals spare to build them.

So instead I just build my fleet using my core worlds

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Kitchner posted:

I just build my fleet using my core worlds

:same:

Also I adjust to only have systems with multiple planets so I end up with around 10 core worlds, which can pretty much burn a normal max minerals amount.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
It's vaguely amusing to do it with torp corvettes but I just use the planet screen and click through it that way.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Somewhere, in the vast expanse of my interstellar Theocracy, there is a cloning station where I can spam out Clone Soldiers

Where? Well, as far as I can tell I'm going to have to go through every single world in every single sector to find out.

I think I'm just gonna build a buncha psionic ones on every single planet instead...

It might be the planet "Clone Factory", next to "Battleship Factory". :v:

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Kitchner posted:

I'm not really following you here. Strike craft already do retarget, so how difficult can it be to implement? And I'm not sure I see what's counter-intuitive about missiles being like a kind of strike craft. There are already many similarities between missiles and strike craft anyway.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Rincewinds posted:

It might be the planet "Clone Factory", next to "Battleship Factory". :v:
I'm finally trying to roleplay and not just name my planets "Sector 1 HQ", "Energy Bar" or "Research Spam". Like, I'm trying to bring the Light of Plant Communism to the universe.

Though i guess I coulda gone with "Trunk of Sector Pine" and "Bounty of Sunlight" or something. Nyeh.

Anyway, name generator not feeding into planets, while letting me use my imagination, is meh.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Bohemian Nights posted:

You know the shipyard setting is a tab on the planet UI, so by picking the correct tan you can alternate between each planet and it'll stay selected on surface/armies/spaceport?

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

GunnerJ posted:

Fixing missiles is easy, the harder part is doing what I'm about to suggest while retaining the look and feel of the current space battles.

1. Increase the projectile speed of missiles, this makes it so fewer missiles are wasted on enemies which die en-route. This disproportionately improves their damage output vs. smaller ship classes and might require some tweaking.
2. Increase the number of missiles fired while keeping their overall damage output the same. This makes it so point defense can be tuned in smaller increments.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Christ is it annoying that I can't get my torpedo boats to try and not rush in and get destroyed instantly

Why can't I tell my battleships to go in, absorb fire while swarms of my lil bastards with big guns fire on behind them? Why even have a 'tactics' thing on ships if they just lock you into a single tactic?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

ulmont posted:

You can edit iron man saves.

Don't tell me that!

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

ITT: We argue about how to fix Stellaris combat for 15 pages

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Cut the combat out completely. Instead you have to engage in careful and good diplomacy and compromise with everyone you meet in space

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

I just sort of accept that the combat is unbalanced. The game in general is pretty unbalanced but that doesn't stop it from being fun.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
replace the combat with Star Control Super Melee.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
realistically, there is no real good way to defend against poo poo from space

open war therefore is almost completely impossible. instead, war is waged through words; wheeling and dealing, agitprop and proganda, through the open broadcast and information web and through espionage, where you go from supporting insurgents to posting scandals online to kidnapping and replacing politicians with indoctrinated flash clones to psionic control of key personnel of the enemy

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Yeah, but the problem is that there's not fast way to find out what is on what planet other than just going through them, one by one...

It would also be really helpful if the species screen (or expansion planner) told you which of your planets each species was present on. That way, when you're looking for potential arctic colonists or whatever, you can find some without having to guess which of your worlds they immigrated to. There doesn't seem to be a way to do that (that I've found.)

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

The goon empire pack owns. It's much more fun seeing memorable names rather than some random garbage name.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Blorange posted:

Fixing missiles is easy, the harder part is doing what I'm about to suggest while retaining the look and feel of the current space battles.

1. Increase the projectile speed of missiles, this makes it so fewer missiles are wasted on enemies which die en-route. This disproportionately improves their damage output vs. smaller ship classes and might require some tweaking.
2. Increase the number of missiles fired while keeping their overall damage output the same. This makes it so point defense can be tuned in smaller increments.

Goodbye CPU.
Retargeting and more missiles is both inredibly CPU expensive. It wouldn't be a problem in the early game but that poo poo scales up fast.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

As an alternative, much faster missiles and damage is instantly applied regardless of apparent flight status? There are some cases where this will be jarring if you're paying close attention (e.g. any scenario where dozens of missiles are targeting one ship that gets enough damage from all of them to start blowing up before they actually appear to hit) but it might be worth it for balance sake. This would also require a big overhaul of how PD works.

I also like the idea behind missiles having a "massive alpha-strike" role, but that has implications for the early game when you may be relying a lot on the weapon choice you initially made. In that case, it doesn't pay for your one weapon type to have a strong gimmick. Although I've also given thought to the possibilities of starting the game with the basic tech for all 3 weapon types where your starting weapon type choice gives you the level 2 tech (i.e., start with blue lasers if you choose lasers, otherwise you'd start with red). In that case, it would be fine for each type to have a more clearly distinct tactical role.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Pipski posted:

It would also be really helpful if the species screen (or expansion planner) told you which of your planets each species was present on. That way, when you're looking for potential arctic colonists or whatever, you can find some without having to guess which of your worlds they immigrated to. There doesn't seem to be a way to do that (that I've found.)

The planet and sectors screen shows each pop on each planet (expand the sectors by clicking on them), so shows you which species are where.

• Locked thread