Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Gear stats have kinda killed my casual interest in 4v4, especially with friends, none of us are going to spend money on microtransactions to speed up the process of getting the gear, so our 5 to 20 gearscore gets matched up against 108 guys, was demoralizing to be spawncamped by a peacekeeper with perma revenge, max attack/defense and every attack bleeds.

Hoping for a no gear stat checkbox for 4vs4's in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
fun story - microtransactions don't actually speed up your gear acquisition. It's gated by level.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Gear stats have kinda killed my casual interest in 4v4, especially with friends, none of us are going to spend money on microtransactions to speed up the process of getting the gear, so our 5 to 20 gearscore gets matched up against 108 guys, was demoralizing to be spawncamped by a peacekeeper with perma revenge, max attack/defense and every attack bleeds.

You still get xp for 0 renown score as long as you don't AFK (haven't tested with AFK yet) so just don't spawn until you get sudden deathed. It does suck that game doesn't match you based on gear score atm though.

The Iron Rose posted:

fun story - microtransactions don't actually speed up your gear acquisition. It's gated by level.
You mean reputation.

Also the amount of steel gain is puny (like 20~40 a game?) compared to what's actually required plus scavenging, so it does encourage micro-transactions for min-maxing or leveling up gears.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Aesis posted:

You still get xp for 0 renown score as long as you don't AFK (haven't tested with AFK yet) so just don't spawn until you get sudden deathed. It does suck that game doesn't match you based on gear score atm though.

You mean reputation.

Also the amount of steel gain is puny (like 20~40 a game?) compared to what's actually required plus scavenging, so it does encourage micro-transactions for min-maxing or leveling up gears.

Games go by pretty quick? Within like a week of playing I had like 20,000 steel just from doing most of the orders. This isn't even including the 10,000 you get from playing and beating the campaign.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

The Iron Rose posted:

I have been wondering how people in this thread have been buying reputation levels via microtransactions, because I couldn't find any way to do so. I play this game For Fashion and I'd love to have access to more than one character's second tier of items after a week of having fun.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
You can grab a 25% exp/loot boost that lasts up to a year for 15000 steel.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

The Iron Rose posted:

Games go by pretty quick? Within like a week of playing I had like 20,000 steel just from doing most of the orders. This isn't even including the 10,000 you get from playing and beating the campaign.
:stare: I wonder how many games you played. I barely have time to play 3~4 games a day.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

You can grab a 25% exp/loot boost that lasts up to a year for 15000 steel.

Y'still gotta, I dunno, play the game. What's the difference between an hour or so a day's worth of experience vs a 25% bonus? I've had the game since last sunday and I haven't even hit 20 on one character yet.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Well 15k Steel for 1 year is cheap enough, but it's not worth the money if you don't really have time to play imo. Also xp/gear don't matter in 1v1/2v2 so I'd stick with those.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Aesis posted:

:stare: I wonder how many games you played. I barely have time to play 3~4 games a day.

Some of us are huge huge nerds though

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I want to learn one of the Samurai characters and i think i want it to be Nobushi, what are some tips that yall can give me? Coming from playing mainly Conq and Lawbringer

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

I want to learn one of the Samurai characters and i think i want it to be Nobushi, what are some tips that yall can give me? Coming from playing mainly Conq and Lawbringer

Honor is for suckers and you should be the hugest rear end in a top hat you can possibly be with the Nobushi.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Aesis posted:

Well 15k Steel for 1 year is cheap enough, but it's not worth the money if you don't really have time to play imo. Also xp/gear don't matter in 1v1/2v2 so I'd stick with those.

But what I'm saying is half of the game modes shouldn't be essentially locked out from being played because I don't grind up the gear to be competitive in them.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Well i already don't engage in what most people would call honorable tactics anyway so i'm already halfway there.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

You guys need to look at the steel for champion status screen a little closer.

15k steel is one MONTH, one year is 65k. :shepface:

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Blocking is slower than you'd think and going into hidden stance is a viable way of blocking a lot of moves. Also use sidestep attacks more; just like Valkyrie, people will get unreasonably angry when you just keep dodging and jabbing, and you can start doing all sorts of cool stuff when you've got them angry and aggressive.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

FAUXTON posted:

Is there some deeper timing aspect to regular ol' blocking (as in not parrying or deflecting) where snapping your guard into the right position as the blow is coming will make the enemy's weapon rebound a bit (like a mini parry almost) versus having the guard up ahead of time will just have the blow be blocked and your fighter kind of rolls with it?

I think that what you're describing is an indication of whether or not your block interrupted their chain. I have definitely seen an opponent's stance reset after my Peacekeeper batted away their attack. I have also seen them continue a chain despite a block and that block animation is much different. I am not sure if timing has anything to do with it but it really feels like it when you're playing a neutral stance character and you have to actively block.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Gear stats have kinda killed my casual interest in 4v4, especially with friends, none of us are going to spend money on microtransactions to speed up the process of getting the gear, so our 5 to 20 gearscore gets matched up against 108 guys

I can live with the gear score thing but I really like getting gear in all games all the time. I would like to see a nerf for the revenge mode gain. It would be nice if there were gear score brackets for pvp matchmaking, which is a thing in Tom Clancey's The Division I think.

On the upside, by the time you're eligible to start getting purple drops you shuold have like 20 of those loot chests saved up from playing through story mode.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Outside revenge gain I don't have a problem with what gear can do. I like the level of customization at purple, I just kinda wish everyone started there.

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me

signalnoise posted:

Outside revenge gain I don't have a problem with what gear can do. I like the level of customization at purple, I just kinda wish everyone started there.

I feel the same.

Also everyone forgets that Revenge mode is on a timer and if you just back off and play defensively it is worthless.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

signalnoise posted:

It's the weirder stuff that messes with the game so hard. Maxed out debuff resist is goofy too, suddenly you can tech out of all sorts of poo poo you're not usually able to and now even guard breaks are removed from the pool of tools against you.

hey welcome to the show! posted:

Also everyone forgets that Revenge mode is on a timer and if you just back off and play defensively it is worthless.

And then they block two hits and have it again.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Tip 1: Realize that the fat man is best
Tip 2: Break all the spines

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

There Diomedes aimed and stabbed, he gouged him down
his glistening flesh and wrenched the spear back out
and the brazen god of war let loose a shriek, roaring,
thundering loud as nine, ten thousand combat soldiers
shriek with Ares' fury when massive armies clash.
I'm going to get poo poo for this, but the thing that bothers me most about this game is the auto tracking. If you try to guard break, it should happen dead ahead of you. If someone is dodging to the side, almost turning at a 90 degree angle to follow up, or sliding like 10 feet to guard break, shouldn't be things. I think it's that auto tracking that makes characters like Warden annoying for people to fight (and easy for me to exploit), or makes battles against Conqs and Warlords into a slog. I'm probably bitching because I'm too used to Soulsborne, and now Nioh (which is worse as far as auto tracking goes), but it seems absurd for a game where fights occur in such close quarters to have weird aimbot attacks. If getting rid of auto tracking breaks characters, then make the characters better instead of relying on that.

Xeremides fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Feb 25, 2017

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Yardbomb posted:

It's the weirder stuff that messes with the game so hard. Maxed out debuff resist is goofy too, suddenly you can tech out of all sorts of poo poo you're not usually able to and now even guard breaks are removed from the pool of tools against you.

It was kinda dumb that a berserker could 100% dodge a shield bash combo that is usually guaranteed because his debuff resistance is high enough.

It essentially removes a tool from my arsenal and I have no way of knowing who is immune to it until I try it on them.

hey welcome to the show! posted:

I feel the same.

Unless they play something with a shove move that turns into a knockdown and you eat two heavy attacks before getting up that probably outright kills you.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

You really don't have to spend any money to get gear. I haven't bought any steel and I'm ilvl 90.

EDIT: Although to be fair, before last night I basically only exclusively played 1v1 and 2v2.

fadam fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Feb 25, 2017

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Xeremides posted:

I'm going to get poo poo for this, but the thing that bothers me most about this game is the auto tracking. If you try to guard break, it should happen dead ahead of you. If someone is dodging to the side, almost turning at a 90 degree angle to follow up, or sliding like 10 feet to guard break, shouldn't be things. I think it's that auto tracking that makes characters like Warden annoying for people to fight (and easy for me to exploit), or makes battles against Conqs and Warlords into a slog. I'm probably bitching because I'm too used to Soulsborne, and now Nioh (which is worse as far as auto tracking goes), but it seems absurd for a game where fights occur in such close quarters to have weird aimbot attacks. If getting rid of auto tracking breaks characters, then make the characters better instead of relying on that.

Nah you right

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Bleed shouldn't kill and it's such a lame, dry fart of an ending to anything, even using it.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Yardbomb posted:

Bleed shouldn't kill and it's such a lame, dry fart of an ending to anything, even using it.

Counterpoint: Viper's Retreat then Top Heavy feint into salute emote as the Peacekeeper rolls backwards with only a sliver of health left.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

This is what you should be doing during honorable combat, not interfering with the fight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYf1oQj1AvE

I'm a good person

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Speaking of honor.
https://www.google.ca/amp/www.eurogamer.net/amp/2017-02-24-the-unspoken-rules-of-for-honor

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Jesus lmao. I know it's not cool to call people autistic anymore but come on.

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

fadam posted:

Jesus lmao. I know it's not cool to call people autistic anymore but come on.

You say that, but that was the status quo in plenty of competitive games like 15 years ago. I think I preferred it that way.

That said, this game has taught me people care more about winning than anything else, so I'm not going to bother hamstringing myself. Your rear end is going into a puddle, or spikes. Especially if you're a conq or warlord and we're on a bridge.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Xeremides posted:

You say that, but that was the status quo in plenty of competitive games like 15 years ago. I think I preferred it that way.

That said, this game has taught me people care more about winning than anything else, so I'm not going to bother hamstringing myself. Your rear end is going into a puddle, or spikes. Especially if you're a conq or warlord and we're on a bridge.

What competitive games are you talking about?

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

fadam posted:

What competitive games are you talking about?

Earth's Special Forces (dbz hl mod), JKO, JKA, SSB...basically anything that involved dueling. Games that allow for dueling usually come up with various "fair play" rules. Hell, JKA straight up put you in a dueling bubble that prevented others from interfering if that's what 2 people wanted.

Xeremides fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Feb 25, 2017

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

You said competitive games, not games where people RP as Jedi in FFA servers.

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

fadam posted:

You said competitive games, not games where people RP as Jedi in FFA servers.

Right, I said competitive games, as in games where individuals compete. If you only played on RP servers, that's on you. There were plenty of clan servers that were just about seeing who was better. Same deal with ESF, where people would literally go to the corner of the map to fight each other in duels, and if you interfered, someone would probably kick or ban you.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

MadJackMcJack posted:

Tip 1: Realize that the fat man is best
Tip 2: Break all the spines

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e40PLs6EDTo

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

You think this is a game?

Xeremides posted:

Earth's Special Forces (dbz hl mod), JKO, JKA, SSB...basically anything that involved dueling. Games that allow for dueling usually come up with various "fair play" rules. Hell, JKA straight up put you in a dueling bubble that prevented others from interfering if that's what 2 people wanted.

I know it's a relatively unknown feature to people who whine about honor, but this game has that sort of "dueling bubble" mechanic as well.

It's called queuing for 1v1

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

Haroshia posted:

I know it's a relatively unknown feature to people who whine about honor, but this game has that sort of "dueling bubble" mechanic as well.

It's called queuing for 1v1

Like I said, I just play to win now since that's the game people seem to prefer. But while I do like dueling, and I got my first 2 prestiges solely through dueling, a lot of the time my experience was getting matched with the same person over and over and over again, or getting matched with people of a significantly higher skillset than myself. 2v2s seems to always have a much higher population, so it's easier to get into, and you'll get to play against a wider range of people. That said, I won't interfere in my partner's fight after I've won mine unless the opposing team does it first. Some habits die hard, I guess.

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

You think this is a game?

Xeremides posted:

Like I said, I just play to win now since that's the game people seem to prefer. But while I do like dueling, and I got my first 2 prestiges solely through dueling, a lot of the time my experience was getting matched with the same person over and over and over again, or getting matched with people of a significantly higher skillset than myself. 2v2s seems to always have a much higher population, so it's easier to get into, and you'll get to play against a wider range of people. That said, I won't interfere in my partner's fight after I've won mine unless the opposing team does it first. Some habits die hard, I guess.

I hang back if by bro is winning not out of a sense of honor, but because I'd rather not accidentally feed revenge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

How come my headbutt will randomly knock people down when I'm in revenge mode? They're not out of stamina or anything.