Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

SlayVus posted:

R5 and R3 Ryzen chips will come out in 2nd half of this year. Probably like at the start of 4th quarter. Best AM4 motherboard is apparently ASUS crosshair if you're going to overclock. The best one to go with for you if you waited for budget, probably a B350 board.

R5 is slated for the second quarter, not the second half.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Junior Jr. posted:

I never had to care for AMD's CPU architechture until Ryzen.

If it does turn out to be really good, what's the best AM4 motherboards for it, and is AMD making any budget Ryzens in the future?

Honestly you should wait until it's actually been out for a few months and motherboard manufacturers have had time to work out the ievitable bugs.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

JnnyThndrs posted:

I thought K-series chips didn't come with stick coolers anymore?

Sorry, I didn't know that, my point was:

Sashimi posted:

They don't, the stock Intel coolers are terrible and would be useless for overclocking.

I thought something was wrong with the cooler that came with my 2500k.

At least with a stupid overpowered GPU setup in a review you can understand that you don't really want to see any GPU bottlenecks in a CPU review, but there are definitely some people who will buy a CPU, slap the stock cooler on, and wonder why their performance isn't close to what the reviews sold them on.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Junior Jr. posted:

If it does turn out to be really good, what's the best AM4 motherboards for it
Its not really clear exactly which mobo is best right now at any given price point.

All we have are some comments from reviewers who got samples saying a mobo with a good power delivery system of some sort is key for overclocking the 8C Ryzen's. OC'ing the 4C or 6C Ryzen's could have much lower requirements. That and they're all saying there are some bugs with the BIOS's that are being fixed which is improving high speed memory support and performance but some things are still wonky.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

fishmech posted:

Honestly you should wait until it's actually been out for a few months and motherboard manufacturers have had time to work out the ievitable bugs.

Especially given that by every. single. indication. Ryzen has been rushed out and the mobo manufacturers are scrambling to get their products out on launch day. Memory performance isn't a big deal by itself all that much... but it's concerning that AM4 can only deliver roughly half of its intended memory clocks. And the stuff about most motherboards (even high-end) not overclocking particularly well isn't great either.

Yeah, maybe BIOS revisions fix it. Maybe not. Don't pre-order hardware while reviews are still under NDA you dolts. How many times do we have to play this merry-go-round, weren't Fiji and Bulldozer and Phenom enough lessons yet?

Right now /r/AMD is on a witch hunt against Gibbo of OCUK (who is an amazing guy) because he dared to point out the problems with memory clocks and recommended that you only plug in 2 DIMMs to start with. There's people trying to page AMD reps into the thread on the impression that they will bring down some kind of official wrath on him, accusing OCUK of "clickbait", etc. The hype train is utterly out of control right now.

But hey - that's what happens when you deliberately create an information vacuum and then start taking pre-orders at $800 a pop for hardware you rushed out the door...

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Feb 25, 2017

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

OCUK do know their stuff, I'd certainly believe what he says about it.

As a store they used to be schizophrenic with service, though. I got burned with a faulty hard drive and I still remember dammit :argh:

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Feb 25, 2017

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

Right now /r/AMD is on a witch hunt against Gibbo of OCUK (who is an amazing guy) because he dared to point out the problems with memory clocks and recommended that you only plug in 2 DIMMs to start with. There's people trying to page AMD reps into the thread on the impression that they will bring down some kind of official wrath on him, accusing OCUK of "clickbait", etc. The hype train is utterly out of control right now.

"This guy who's trying to sell Ryzen hardware is telling lies about Ryzen so people won't buy it!" - /r/amd

:suicide:

eames
May 9, 2009

fishmech posted:

this should be the new OP.

If you really need a high end CPU right now for whatever reason, the R7 seems like a good option.
All others should wait a few months to see how things shake out — motherboard stability, CPU errata, benchmarks to evaluate performance behaviour for your applications, GloFo process improvements, better value SKUs with more OC headroom, perhaps even a response from Intel (heh who am I kidding).

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

But if everyone listens to sense and reason we won't get early goon reviews! Someone has to take one for the team.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
I literally don't have a desktop computer atm cause mine is currently dead and broken. I'll definitely be a goon forerunner and post about my inevitable troubles and the probable failures of gen 1 Ryzen.

E: Also my sole reason for not just picking up a comparable gen 7 I5 for gaming is that I want to believe. So feel free to laugh at me later on.

Toalpaz fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Feb 25, 2017

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Intel are slashing prices across the consumer boards, check the Intel thread for specifics.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Toalpaz posted:

I literally don't have a desktop computer atm cause mine is currently dead and broken. I'll definitely be a goon forerunner and post about my inevitable troubles and the probable failures of gen 1 Ryzen.

E: Also my sole reason for not just picking up a comparable gen 7 I5 for gaming is that I want to believe. So feel free to laugh at me later on.

Too early to know really how it is, but the ASUS Prime X370 Pro is significantly cheaper then the ROG board with the same amount of VRM phases.

If I had no PC I'd do it, gently caress it.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Feb 25, 2017

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Boiled Water posted:

Intel are slashing prices across the consumer boards, check the Intel thread for specifics.

No, they aren't, that was just a list of Micro Center's normal prices for CPUs, they have always had very good deals on CPUs and CPU/mobo combos.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

No, they aren't, that was just a list of Micro Center's normal prices for CPUs, they have always had very good deals on CPUs and CPU/mobo combos.

buu.

JockstrapManthrust
Apr 30, 2013

Paul MaudDib posted:

Especially given that by every. single. indication. Ryzen has been rushed out and the mobo manufacturers are scrambling to get their products out on launch day. Memory performance isn't a big deal by itself all that much... but it's concerning that AM4 can only deliver roughly half of its intended memory clocks. And the stuff about most motherboards (even high-end) not overclocking particularly well isn't great either.

Yeah, maybe BIOS revisions fix it. Maybe not. Don't pre-order hardware while reviews are still under NDA you dolts. How many times do we have to play this merry-go-round, weren't Fiji and Bulldozer and Phenom enough lessons yet?

But hey - that's what happens when you deliberately create an information vacuum and then start taking pre-orders at $800 a pop for hardware you rushed out the door...

Really? Over immature ram timings in the bios from amd? ffs, I mean back in the nforce days me and Merlin would release updated bios files with the latest romsip and Bpl code to work around this derp. Looks like gently caress all has changed, might need to look at brushing off modbin and see what can be done once the boards are out to play with.

Also, for more info on what ram, and ram timing issues with embryonic Bios code check out http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?292937-Ryzen-and-memory

JockstrapManthrust fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Feb 25, 2017

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

Toalpaz posted:

Seriously, post about your experiences once you build your system. You might convince me to follow in your footsteps since I can't wait for Ryzen 5. I want to give AMD my money because it looks like they put serious effort into Ryzen, whereas Intel clearly half-assed Kaby Lake, among many other processors.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

OCUK do know their stuff, I'd certainly believe what he says about it.

As a store they used to be schizophrenic with service, though. I got burned with a faulty hard drive and I still remember dammit :argh:

Are they still owned by a NaziBNP member?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Toalpaz posted:

Godspeed bleeding edge goon. Let us know if that edge cut you too bad.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

I will be a test subject too, my E8400 C2D has had enough. Going balls in, as long as the reviews don't turn out horrible.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Which Ryzen processor can rip the fattest threads

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

VostokProgram posted:

Which Ryzen processor can rip the fattest threads

Thread Naysh, ya'll

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Kerbtree posted:

Are they still owned by a NaziBNP member?

Looks like you're right and they were. Ugh. Seems they were sold in 2012 though.

Googling, that forum was a cesspit of pro BNP BS, gibbo included.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

*whoops

Pryor on Fire fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Feb 26, 2017

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy
Can someone repost the doom guy threadripper ta?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Seems like some of the first leaked benchmarks are not that bad for memory.

quote:

Some food for thought which I posted in the memory thread.

First off we had some rumours about weak IMC due to supposedly low speed. This was followed by a rumour that actually Zen had insane efficiency way above Intel and as such lower speeds actually had same performance as higher on Intel.

http://ranker.sisoftware.net/show_run.php?q=c2ffcdffd9b8d9e4dceadceddae3c5b78aba9cf99ca191b7c4f9c9&l=en

This is a Zen getting 33.99GB/s out of 2133Mhz memory, which has a theoretical maximum bandwidth of 34.128GB/s... meaning, epic efficiency.

For comparison you have

http://ranker.sisoftware.net/show_run.php?q=c2ffcdffd9b8d9e4dcefdae3d5e7c1b38ebe98fd98a595b3c0fdcd&l=en

Broadwell-e with 3200Mhz memory achieving 74.97GB/s with max theoretical of 102.4GB/s, so around 75% efficiency.

http://ranker.sisoftware.net/show_run.php?q=c2ffcdffd9b8d9e4d3ebd3ead3e6c0b28fbf99fc99a494b2c1fccc&l=en

Skylake with similar (lower latency though) memory achieving 26.52GB/s at 2133Mhz, with obviously max theoretical of 34.128GB/s. A little over 75% efficiency. Another way to look at the results, if true, is that Zen has 28% higher bandwidth at the same memory speed.

If that scales at the same rate then 2666Mhz on Zen would give the same bandwidth that Skylake(and thus Kaby) would at 3400Mhz.

Along with those rumours was a mention that Zen was currently locked at 1t, we also have Asus managing to get higher memory speed. I wonder if Asus unlocked some settings that aren't supposed to be unlocked yet and in doing so managed to lower timings to up memory speeds, but sacrificing efficiency.

Basically I'm just trying to say, heads up, new platform, don't assume 2666Mhz is even bad, OR that 3200Mhz(at potentially much lower timings) is automatically better than 2666Mhz.

http://www.corsair.com/en-eu/blog/2014/september/ddr3_vs_ddr4_synthetic

Posted this before, but another thing to bear in mind, Haswell tanked in bandwidth efficiency after 2400mhz. We absolutely do not know that super fast memory speeds will bring ANY better performance yet. I mean Sisoft doesn't usually get faked afaik, and the result fits with some rumour 1-2 weeks back, it would also explain most issues of getting higher memory speeds.

I would say, don't jump on a £250 board because someone is telling you 3200Mhz needs a £250 board, because we don't even know if 3200Mhz is faster, besides the fact that I fully expect lots of cheaper boards to be updated and tweaked to achieve ballpark similar clock speeds at some point anyway.

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/amd-zen-thread-inc-am4-apu-discussion.18665505/page-449

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

quote:

This is a Zen getting 33.99GB/s out of 2133Mhz memory, which has a theoretical maximum bandwidth of 34.128GB/s... meaning, epic efficiency.
My initial reaction to those numbers is skepticism because that level of efficiency for common DRAM on any work load is ridiculous even for a synthetic benchmark. If it pans out through on actual real world work loads...that'll be real impressive and you can probably save some cash buying cheaper lower clocked memory instead of the high priced higher clocked stuff.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
You don't want ECC when your CPU does not support it. In all other cases why would you ever not want ECC? It costs a bit more, but not that much more and protects you from errors that might screw your data.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

My initial reaction to those numbers is skepticism because that level of efficiency for common DRAM on any work load is ridiculous even for a synthetic benchmark. If it pans out through on actual real world work loads...that'll be real impressive and you can probably save some cash buying cheaper lower clocked memory instead of the high priced higher clocked stuff.

Or buy the higher clocked stuff and enjoy the extra speed!

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

HalloKitty posted:

Or buy the higher clocked stuff and enjoy the extra speed!
It might not be any faster though depending on Zen's IMC + cache arrangement. Read the last few sentences in the post Dante80 quoted. Its quite possible faster memory does little to nothing even in memory sensitive work loads for Zen. Thats not worth spending ~$100 more for.

Even for Intel's latest chips there are lots of work loads that are totally insensitive to bandwidth and see no improvement even with quad channel memory.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

quote:

Its quite possible faster memory does little to nothing even in memory sensitive work loads for Zen. Thats not worth spending ~$100 more for.

We will have to see, but yes, the rumors above are indicative of that. Which - btw - may be a good thing.

Don't know about you guys, but here in Greece it seems like DDR4 is getting price bumps every week or so..T_T

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

memory latency is the important thing, and there's progressively less of it with higher speeds of RAM since CL isn't fully proportional to clocks.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Dante80 posted:

Which - btw - may be a good thing.
Oh yeah absolutely.

If some quirk of Zen's design makes it work just as well with the cheap rear end slower RAM as it would with the fast RAM that saves money.

Really saving money is half the reason why people are interested in Zen at all and if it offers different ways to do that I'm all for it.

eames
May 9, 2009

Dante80 posted:

Don't know about you guys, but here in Greece it seems like DDR4 is getting price bumps every week or so..T_T

Yeah, something about fabs retooling for a new process causing a supply shortage. I ordered two sticks of DDR3-ECC on Amazon mid December and today I wouldn't be able to buy a single stick for that price. :ohdear:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

The scuttlebutt of low bandwidth RAM is that it's much harder to find low latency 2400 than it is to find average latency 3200

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

eames posted:

Yeah, something about fabs retooling for a new process causing a supply shortage. I ordered two sticks of DDR3-ECC on Amazon mid December and today I wouldn't be able to buy a single stick for that price. :ohdear:

If you want ECC DDR3 of 4GB/module or less, check eBay. I got a couple of 4GB 1866MHz sticks that were originally for a Mac Pro for $36 a couple weeks back and they work perfectly even in a P55 board that doesn't support ECC. Registered modules are even cheaper from what I've seen, which makes sense considering from what I recall they require board support to work in any sense.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Feb 26, 2017

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Can't you just take the faster RAM and run it at lower speeds anymore?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

FuturePastNow posted:

Can't you just take the faster RAM and run it at lower speeds anymore?

Yes. In fact running something like DDR4-3200 at its rated speed is technically overclocking.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
So... are we back to dirty tricks AGAIN?

http://wccftech.com/intel-playing-dirty-undercut-amd-ryzen/

I mean jesus gently caress, Intel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CDHiggs
Dec 16, 2016

That night in Point Pleasant. Those red eyes Richard Gere would never forget.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

So... are we back to dirty tricks AGAIN?

http://wccftech.com/intel-playing-dirty-undercut-amd-ryzen/

I mean jesus gently caress, Intel.

Kyle from HardOCP: "Finally, my marching orders!"

• Locked thread