Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
dadryder looks boss

I want to play as dadryder, not as his dumpy deadeyed son

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Zakmonster posted:

Witcher 3 was a great game, but lets not forget that half of the explorable markers in the game was nothing more than chests filled with useless loot because crafting the set gear was all you needed to do, equipment wise.

It's not "perfect" but it's the best we've got for now.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

FunkMonkey posted:

I've never found it creepy so much as just kind of statistically improbable, but frankly what do I know

*snorting through mouthfuls of pocky* as represented by this graph, very few of these fictional aliens would ACTUALLY want to gently caress me

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Ah, the Far Cry 2 approach.

That was so weird.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Cythereal posted:

It got posted ten pages ago, along with a thing from a playtester in an interviewer who said yeah you can end up driving around a zone for an hour and find nothing of interest.

To clarify:

RPS posted:

I spoke to Fabrice Condominas, a producer at BioWare, he talked about the difficulties of dealing with huge environments and retaining player interest. “We tried a lot of things and failed in a lot of different ways in development! So at the end the decision we made for this game was to say, we have those huge spaces but we’re not going to randomly generate anything. Everything we’re going to make will be memorable, hand-crafted and placed, and have a narrative impact even if it’s a very small thing. Can you drive 50 minutes without encountering anything? We’re trying to avoid that, but because of the nature of what we’re doing, I can’t promise it won’t happen. That being said, if it does happen as a player you will know it, because it means as a player you’re going to a part where we don’t promise you anything. Our hope is that you never have to hit an invisible wall because you keep finding something interesting.”

...which could mean exactly what you said, or it could mean he's poo poo at explaining that you can drive off the edge of the map like in Mad Max.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

FronzelNeekburm posted:

...which could mean exactly what you said, or it could mean he's poo poo at explaining that you can drive off the edge of the map like in Mad Max.
I took it to mean the latter. He makes it sound like, yes, you can drive for an hour without finding anything, but only because you decided to drive away from everything interesting.
And you know what, I like that it exists as an option. I did the same thin in Mad Max occasionally, just some chill driving around in the middle of nowhere looking at the scenery.

Also, the comparison to Mad Max makes me want to cover the Nomad in spikes and give it a giant supercharged V8.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Groetgaffel posted:

I took it to mean the latter. He makes it sound like, yes, you can drive for an hour without finding anything, but only because you decided to drive away from everything interesting.
And you know what, I like that it exists as an option.

Why?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Groetgaffel posted:

I did the same thin in Mad Max occasionally, just some chill driving around in the middle of nowhere looking at the scenery.

Also, the comparison to Mad Max makes me want to cover the Nomad in spikes and give it a giant supercharged V8.

:shrug:

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Doctor Spaceman posted:

DA:I had decent size zones but a lack of interesting content, so people are naturally wary of even bigger zones.

They were designed really badly too. They weren't laid out like real places, which can be fine but there also wasn't a planned gameplay flow or fun visual, encounter etc design like good videogamey environments have.

That wouldn't be such a problem in a sci fi environment though. You can get away with empty space that has an outpost dumped randomly on it in frontier sci fi and just by virtue of it being on different planets the environmental design can be more visually interesting.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
I want to bang a krogan.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
As long as the driving mechanics are enjoyable, I don't bind driving around for a bit just to take pretty screenshots.
If however you have to spend 20 minutes realtime just holding down W to get anywhere at all, that's bad.
Hope this helps.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Groetgaffel posted:

As long as the driving mechanics are enjoyable, I don't bind driving around for a bit just to take pretty screenshots.
If however you have to spend 20 minutes realtime just holding down W to get anywhere at all, that's bad.
Hope this helps.

My concern is exactly this. I'm burned out from holding up recently.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Vitamin P posted:

I want to bang a krogan.

When you bang into the krogan, the krogan bangs also into you. :a2m:

Number Ten Cocks fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Feb 25, 2017

The Missing Link
Aug 13, 2008

Should do fine against cats.
Pre-ordered this game. I'm excited to have biotic charge as a baseline ability and to also romance Dr. Dormer.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Number Ten Cocks posted:

When you bang into the krogan, the krogan bangs also into you. :a2m:

Once you go krogan, you need a new colon

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
The thing I am wondering about is how dadryder will apparently be based on your character design... Which could mean there's the potential for some hilarious monstrosities...

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I imagine your relatives are just going to cycle through some presets depending on the skin color + complexion of your Ryder.

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...
Or its time to bring back ugly shepard to test the limits of dad's auto facegen, with horrifying consequences.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Fangz posted:

The thing I am wondering about is how dadryder will apparently be based on your character design... Which could mean there's the potential for some hilarious monstrosities...

I want to change my character's face, but I think Dad Ryder is one of the cooler looking characters in the game.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Zakmonster posted:

Witcher 3 was a great game, but lets not forget that half of the explorable markers in the game was nothing more than chests filled with useless loot because crafting the set gear was all you needed to do, equipment wise.

This is why my second playthrough will have me subsisting on just things I find. No buying (unless absolutely necessary), no crafting (except for oils and stuff). So much cool looking equipment in that game but all of it garbage when you have the crafted Witcher sets.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Hope they let me turn the dad into a fail nerd

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

Hope they let me turn the dad into a fail nerd

*holds mirror up to thread*

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

PureRok posted:

This is why my second playthrough will have me subsisting on just things I find. No buying (unless absolutely necessary), no crafting (except for oils and stuff). So much cool looking equipment in that game but all of it garbage when you have the crafted Witcher sets.

I only crafted the Witcher sets because I really liked the look of them (Ursine and Wolven, specifically). I felt that Geralt walking around in mild-clownsuit was a bit immersion breaking.

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

That's what armour looked like back then (in the witcher times)

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I'm still surprised by how close Andromeda is to release and how little we know about any of the companions. Would have expected Bioware to be all too happy to talk about the waifu and husbando options in gratuitous detail.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

People are getting mad that the devs keep saying "we want you to talk to them in game rather than us spoiling it for you."

Edit: not in this thread so much but what I have seen around the net.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

marshmallow creep posted:

People are getting mad that the devs keep saying "we want you to talk to them in game rather than us spoiling it for you."

This does not fill me with confidence in Bioware's writing. ME3 was flawed but generally good, DAI was a mess with a few good bits, and Fallen Empire and Eternal Throne were poo poo.

The cagier Bioware is about Andromeda, the more suspicious I am.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Don't worry, you'll be able to play the game for 10 hours in 2 or 3 weeks if you drop 5 bux for Origin Access.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

marshmallow creep posted:

Edit: not in this thread so much but what I have seen around the net.

That's a bullshit answer on their part, we don't need them to reveal their tragic backstory or daddy issue focused loyalty mission, just a couple snippets of them chatting here and there. For devs that are bragging about their companions having more dialog lines than Shepard from any of the previous ME games, this is suspicious more than anything.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Back Hack posted:

That's a bullshit answer on their part, we don't need them to reveal their tragic backstory or daddy issue focused loyalty mission, just a couple snippets of them chatting here and there. For devs that are bragging about their companions having more dialog lines than Shepard from any of the previous ME games, this is suspicious more than anything.

Do you think the writing is literally so bad that they can't cut together a conversation that is good? Is that your suspicion?

This is kinda silly.

The reasoning for the new tact is pretty obvious to me - it's because previous marketing pushes have backfired. Remember 'biotic bitch'? Remember 'pleasure myself while thinking with respect'?

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Back Hack posted:

Wait what? The companions have tons of dialog now?

Serf
May 5, 2011

Yeah, if anything the less we hear from the companions before release the better. I'd like to discover the cool stuff about them during the actual game, not like what happened with Mordin in ME2.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I'm not saying less we hear the better, I'm saying trying to read things from the EA marketing strategy - which I assume is actually run entirely independent of the Bioware development people - is dumb as hell.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Back Hack posted:

Are you an idiot?

Do you just want EVERYTHING spoiled? You can find out their backstories in any of the previews and on the game's site.

poo poo, all of the previews were extremely enthusiastic about the companions and thought that what they saw of them was very promising.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The previews all had basically zip to say about the companions as the 4-hour build they got dropped them directly into a couple early missions without much squad interaction or dialogue. It's also hard to say they were universally enthusiastic about the game. IGN, Gamespot and Giant Bomb all had mixed things to say about it.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

No, this thread is for demonstrating how low your expectations are and doing your best to convince everyone 1) how keen your game-criticism eye is for unreleased games, and 2) that they shouldn't buy the game or even look at information online. The lower your ratio of posts expressing suspicion about the game (no factual basis required) to total posts in the thread, the further you are from winning. A Buff Gay Dude was winning by a landslide for a long time, but others have cut into his lead.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Just lol at all the people who keep making up things about why the game will suck.

"They haven't shown any gameplay! How suspicious!"

They release gameplay videos and the combat looks great.

"Well, they haven't shown us conversations with companions! How suspicious!"

Nevermind the game is still weeks away, and the smart thing to do is not do a giant marketing blitz until Zero Dawn and Zelda has come out.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
I nearly missed this, didn't expect ME: A to come out so early, really. I'll get this probably for my PS4 and in April. (Just in case there are some horrid problems, I want to wait a couple extra days after the March-release.)

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Fangz posted:

The reasoning for the new tact is pretty obvious to me - it's because previous marketing pushes have backfired. Remember 'biotic bitch'? Remember 'pleasure myself while thinking with respect'?

No, thank god.

Deakul posted:

Are you an idiot?

Do you just want EVERYTHING spoiled? You can find out their backstories in any of the previews and on the game's site.

The only goon I ever knew who got this mad about spoilers was Aatrek.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Fangz posted:

I'm not saying less we hear the better, I'm saying trying to read things from the EA marketing strategy - which I assume is actually run entirely independent of the Bioware development people - is dumb as hell.

Bioware's people gave us gigglesquee, and Your Choices Matter a week before it was shown they didn't. If anything EA shutting them up is a net positive.