Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Wow, yeah I had not heard of that person. That's awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I'd never heard of her either. I guess I should be glad I avoided Facebook til like the last year. gently caress those lovely non blocking algorithm that's very hosed.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

In other news, Slovenia has now legalised same-sex marriage.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Eimi posted:

I'd never heard of her either. I guess I should be glad I avoided Facebook til like the last year. gently caress those lovely non blocking algorithm that's very hosed.

She's been a thorn for years. Consider yourself lucky, but living under a rock.

Look her up on RationalWiki for a decent summary. I'm not posting her name because she has tools that search for mentions of her so she can find new people to harass.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Aleph Null posted:

I still cannot fathom a possible reason for Facebook to block someone from blocking someone. That makes no sense. So, somebody can no longer view a bunch of other people's profiles. So, what? Someone please provide a legitimate reason for this algorithm to exist that isn't grasping at straws.

Seriously, a bunch of people got doxxed just from being friends of friends of one person whose facebook was compromised. FB does not do nearly enough to help you build a wall around your poo poo. For example, did you know that your current profile photo is required to be public-visible? And when you change photos your old profile photo is not changed to friends-only automatically? I've fixed all my historical photos permissions and now only use not-pictures-of-me as profile photos.

People doxxing on FB is bad enough that I don't even friend other trans people on it anymore because crazies will just find a trans person and then start crawling friend links searching for more victims.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

cis autodrag posted:

Seriously, a bunch of people got doxxed just from being friends of friends of one person whose facebook was compromised. FB does not do nearly enough to help you build a wall around your poo poo.

It's exactly as planned. They gotta sell your poo poo to advertiser somehow.

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

Disgraced shill Mark Regnerus offers his rebuttal to the peer reviewed study that linked marriage equality with a reduction in teen suicide.

http://www.slowlyboiledfrog.com/2017/02/mark-regnerus-doesnt-like-teen-suicide.html

The quality of Regnerus' rebuttal is consistent with his most famous study, and he remains a shill handed a conclusion and paid to invent trappings of smart-sounding anti-gay gobbledygook for use in court cases.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

RagnarokAngel posted:

It's exactly as planned. They gotta sell your poo poo to advertiser somehow.

im not sure how useful my info is to an advertiser when an insane stalker murders me for being a trans person

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

cis autodrag posted:

im not sure how useful my info is to an advertiser when an insane stalker murders me for being a trans person

Then they'll just start advertising funeral services to your loved ones.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Keeshhound posted:

Then they'll just start advertising funeral services to your loved ones.

This. But unironically. I know people who already get "remember this day" when the old posts are them talking about someone who died that they'd rather not be reminded about.

Remember how hard it was to get Facebook to bend at all for the real name policy which was putting trans lives in danger.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Bethamphetamine posted:

Disgraced shill Mark Regnerus offers his rebuttal to the peer reviewed study that linked marriage equality with a reduction in teen suicide.

http://www.slowlyboiledfrog.com/2017/02/mark-regnerus-doesnt-like-teen-suicide.html

The quality of Regnerus' rebuttal is consistent with his most famous study, and he remains a shill handed a conclusion and paid to invent trappings of smart-sounding anti-gay gobbledygook for use in court cases.

Oh man, there's a name I haven't heard in a long time. All the good old squirming maggots of regressive ideology are getting dredged up, aren't they?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Aleph Null posted:

This. But unironically. I know people who already get "remember this day" when the old posts are them talking about someone who died that they'd rather not be reminded about.

Remember how hard it was to get Facebook to bend at all for the real name policy which was putting trans lives in danger.

facebook doesn't let me delete other peoples' uploaded photos of me so every birthday i get a montage of pre-transition pictures i don't want to see with a "aren't these happy memories" message. i bet most of my friends get them on random occasions too (they send out friend-aversary videos and poo poo). thanks facebook.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
why don't you untag yourself

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Senju Kannon posted:

why don't you untag yourself

i try to when i notice them, but there's like thousands of pictures of me from college parties and whatnot and as far as i can find there is no bulk-untag feature in facebook so you have to do it 1-by-1. and then some dickheads go and retag me anyway.

im thinking i might just close my account and open a new one but apparently facebook has ip banned people for doing that in the past.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I know a few people who have done that for various reasons, usually varying their name slightly, or run two parallel accounts, one for family and the other for their public life/profession.

They've never had any issues, although I guess that depends how likely someone is to be a loving prick and report a duplicate account.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
It's also kind of lovely that Facebook (god, so many sentences must start that way.) requires you to put in the effort of untagging yourself instead of making people ask for your permission to tag you in the first place.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Keeshhound posted:

It's also kind of lovely that Facebook (god, so many sentences must start that way.) requires you to put in the effort of untagging yourself instead of making people ask for your permission to tag you in the first place.

Easier to ask forgiveness than permission, especially when they already scraped all the useful data first. It's genuinely insane to me that some people are into the idea of Zuckerberg for president because the guy is a grade-a sociopath and everything Facebook does is vampiric on their users.

edit: But you can't just delete your facebook because then you will literally get cut out of social groups that only communicate via facebook and cannot plan a gathering via text or whatever.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

cis autodrag posted:

facebook doesn't let me delete other peoples' uploaded photos of me so every birthday i get a montage of pre-transition pictures i don't want to see with a "aren't these happy memories" message. i bet most of my friends get them on random occasions too (they send out friend-aversary videos and poo poo). thanks facebook.

Christ. That's rough. I'm lucky that I was almost always the person taking pictures so there aren't too many of me. I didn't really like having my picture taken to be honest, didn't know how to smile for real. At least now I know why it felt so wrong to memorialize who I was pretending to be for so long.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I'm slowly growing more fond of the coen brothers comedy film that we're all living in.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
The best case against inclusive sex-ed classes I've heard yet, from Senator Lynn Beyak:

https://twitter.com/withfilesfrom/status/836705312698740736

:canada:

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

The Dark One posted:

The best case against inclusive sex-ed classes I've heard yet, from Senator Lynn Beyak:

This is a horrifying quote

https://twitter.com/withfilesfrom/status/836704371966685184

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

"You won't face any discrimination in the public sphere if you never go outside!"

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

The Dark One posted:

The chamber of sober second thought, ladies and gentlemen.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Putting on a condom is a legit more useful life skill than having a pretty signature though.

"Congratulations to my 17-year-old son, he's done such a fine job with the signature on those child support checks!"

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I have my facebook settings set so no tags of me appear unless i approve them. People tag me in poo poo all the time but my name doesn't show up unless i approve it.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

VitalSigns posted:

Putting on a condom is a legit more useful life skill than having a pretty signature though.

"Congratulations to my 17-year-old son, he's done such a fine job with the signature on those child support checks!"

but how will he earn the respect of his betters without that sleek cursive penmanship?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Mr. Nice! posted:

I have my facebook settings set so no tags of me appear unless i approve them. People tag me in poo poo all the time but my name doesn't show up unless i approve it.

what screen is this setting on? I cannot find it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Settings -> Timeline & Tagging

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Reading poo poo like that makes my decision to not have a Facebook account look better and better.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

So the transcripts are up, and just who was that McKellar guy she kept praising?

Senator Beyak posted:

In 1997, a young gay man named John McKellar founded and was president of a group called H.O.P.E., Homosexuals Opposed to Pride Extremism. I won't go into all of his doctrine today, but I would urge each of you to go to Google and read about his life and his work. It's quite incredible.

DeathMuffin
May 25, 2004

Cake or Death

cis autodrag posted:

I'm thinking i might just close my account and open a new one but apparently facebook has ip banned people for doing that in the past.

This is what I did. Nobody banned me, and as a plus I ended up only adding back about a third of my friends list.

Would recommend

Easy Salmon Recipe
Jan 10, 2017

Yeah, everything was so terrible for gays once we started fighting bac--

Allan Ginsberg, on the third day of the Stonewall Riots posted:

You know, the guys there were so beautiful – they’ve lost that wounded look that fags all had 10 years ago.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAqCJHVgd9k

I'm not crying, you're crying

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I wonder when the American right will make the call to embrace queer folk in the name of killing more brown people.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/lesterfeder/geert-wilders-the-netherlands?bftw&utm_term=.pda1bQG1g#.hpdxGjYxN

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
With all the "Republicans freed the slaves and the democrats are the party of the kkk" talk I don't think a shift is out of the question.

Hell I see a lot of "stupid Liberals, muslims hate gays and women why would you support them?"

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

There were some overtures to that after the nightclub shooting which never went anywhere, it was also sorta part of Milo' s shtick but he's pretty much dead now, politically.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
this poo poo has been going on for decades, it's why bill and hillary condemned iran for "forcing" gay men to have sex changes or be executed while the south was arresting people at gay nightclubs for sodomy and matthew shepherd was murdered. heck israel and the obama administration did that poo poo for years as well, ignoring the lgbt rights issues in their own country in order to justify their agenda. no reason to think right wingers haven't noticed its effectiveness. heck they've done the same thing except with women's rights, saying women should stay at home with one side of their mouth and condemning the middle east for not allowing women to drive with the other. it's a proven strategy

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

The Dark One posted:

I wonder when the American right will make the call to embrace queer folk in the name of killing more brown people.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/lesterfeder/geert-wilders-the-netherlands?bftw&utm_term=.pda1bQG1g#.hpdxGjYxN

That's literally been going on for like 15 years and more, same thing with pretending to care about feminism so long as they can use it to attack those drat Muslims/Mexicans/whatever.

You will see signs at right wing protests against Islam that have the signholder crying some crocodile tears about how the Muslims hate gays even though the next day the signholder would be going to an anti-gay-marriage rally and saying queers need Jesus to fix them. There's even been a bunch of times that some right wing loon goes to a pro-gay-rights march with a sign like "Arabs are the real enemy of LGBT".

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
well the supreme court vacated the lower court's ruling on transgender students, due to the ruling relying on regulations no longer in place. people more well versed in judicial review; does this mean the lower court needs to revise their ruling, that the supreme court is killing the case, or something else entirely?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Senju Kannon posted:

well the supreme court vacated the lower court's ruling on transgender students, due to the ruling relying on regulations no longer in place. people more well versed in judicial review; does this mean the lower court needs to revise their ruling, that the supreme court is killing the case, or something else entirely?

It was remanded back to the lower court to re-evaluate in light of the Sessions DoJ and DeVos DoE rescinding the transgender letter from the Obama admin.

• Locked thread