Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

Wait what the hell. Do you think people protesting trump are also children throwing temper tantrums?

yes, for lo, he is everything wrong with the democrats made flesh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

Fulchrum posted:

You managed to confuse throwing them a concession with conceding to them on every point and making them the only group who ever gets what they want.

What other points have been conceded?

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Bernie's platform didn't.

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

What other points have been conceded?

The entire 2016 platform. That you forget this, qualify it or attempt to explain it away demonstrates why it's wiser to not give in to your demands.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/PeteButtigieg/status/835564721239650305

The real fight begins!

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Whoever is programing the music for the DNC vote counting is really nailing the "black music that doesn't alienate white people" imperative they were probably given.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
The people protesting trump are exactly the same as the people protesting the corrupt DNC because establishment dems are Just as bad as trump. It certainly can't be that the democrats attacking democrats have entered an emotional fugue and lost any sense of perspective.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

Wait what the hell. Do you think people protesting trump are also children throwing temper tantrums?

All the protests and town halls are saying "Don't touch my stuff".

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

I mean you can usually set your watch by it yeah

Here's the thing: I can absolutely foresee a future in which Perez wins, brings Ellison and a lot of "Sanders wing" people into a coalition to move forward, and does many good things, and nonetheless a bunch of people check out because they set their heart on one single victory and decided it was that or nothing, no other victories were acceptable, give us this or we're taking our ball and making that dumb party with the bird symbol that people kept talking about around the end of the primary.

Do I think that, given this, it would be wise to give them that victory? Of course. But if that's not what happens-- and none of us are on the committee and have votes, unless this dead gay comedy forum has way more reach than I expected-- then storming out will be an action that feels good and righteous and gives everyone warm fuzzies, but I struggle to see how it would in any way contribute to the ultimate goal of bringing the Republican regime down in flames around Donald Trump's ears and replacing it with something better and more human. Progressives have already made significant inroads at the local level, and given a couple rounds of party elections that'll inevitably filter its way up to the top, but if people throw their hands up and give up now, because it hasn't worked yet, then that'll all be for nothing. Maybe I give the activists doing the work on the ground too little credit. I hope so.

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

Fulchrum posted:

The entire 2016 platform. That you forget this, qualify it or attempt to explain it away demonstrates why it's wiser to not give in to your demands.

Oh cool, the *actually* meaningless platform. I'm glad that qualifies as conceding everything, I will always hold on to that platform.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

Fulchrum posted:

American politics doesn't work that way, which is something you already know.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

DNC should go with DJ Nutty imo

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

Oh cool, the *actually* meaningless platform. I'm glad that qualifies as conceding everything, I will always hold on to that platform.

Party platforms really matter. People often think they don't because they're just words, but the longer things stay in there the more important they become to the party. The Republicans put in "legalize raw milk" back during the Tea Party wave as a sop to those nutjobs and lo, just last year a bunch of states followed through (and immediately all their legislators got sick because lol).

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Fulchrum posted:

Wow you are salty AF about hillary

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Wow you are salty AF about hillary

he's the salt vampire from TOS

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

DNC chairperson election, just like national election.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Quorum posted:

Party platforms really matter. People often think they don't because they're just words, but the longer things stay in there the more important they become to the party. The Republicans put in "legalize raw milk" back during the Tea Party wave as a sop to those nutjobs and lo, just last year a bunch of states followed through (and immediately all their legislators got sick because lol).

Wait, so if we just put 15 dollar minimum wage in the platform, even though we keep losing elections because no one likes the old guard, eventually it'll just happen? Wow!

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Wait, so if we just put 15 dollar minimum wage in the platform, even though we keep losing elections because no one likes the old guard, eventually it'll just happen? Wow!

"Wait, so if I don't vote for the major party candidate who supports what I want I don't get what I want?"

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Ballots currently being counted. Friends on the floor telling me its looking good for perez :(

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Putting 15 in the platform, at the absolute minimum, makes democrats pay a price if they want to compromise down to 12. It's not worthless.

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Because Ellison has "bad optics."

i.e., he's a muslim and brown and electing him lets Trump label the Democrats as the Muslim Party which will, fairly or no, chase away a lot of potential voters and encourage a lot of Republican voter turnout.

Like we live in a world where like it or not Trump's muslim ban is *popular*

So you actually fight against it proactively and take control of the narrative regarding muslims. Too often democrats have led by only doing what's perceived to be in the safe range of what's accepted; meanwhile republicans push the overton window rightwards without caring what they can get away with.

The left shouldn't just timidly say "actually, muslms are all right and you don't have anything to fear from them." Someone should be saying "yeah, muslims rule, here's a bunch of art and culture and poo poo that they did that's contributed to/in line with american ideals and if you don't like it you hate america" and then more moderate messages will be more acceptable to the dumb as hell sections of the electorate who fall for "the truth is in the middle".

I think like 7 in 10 people in america don't personally know any muslims

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Nevvy Z posted:

"Wait, so if I don't vote for the major party candidate who supports what I want I don't get what I want?"

You realize how big open this is, right?

"None of them support what I want, so I'm voting for the orange guy to at least give them all hell"

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Rodatose posted:

So you actually fight against it proactively and take control of the narrative regarding muslims. Too often democrats have led by only doing what's perceived to be in the safe range of what's accepted; meanwhile republicans push the overton window rightwards without caring what they can get away with.

We tried running a campaign all about pluralism 4 months ago and it didn't go very well.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

JeffersonClay posted:

We tried running a campaign all about pluralism 4 months ago and it didn't go very well.

"Tried" is a really strong word for Hildawg's populism.

You realize how big open this is, right?

"None of them support what I want, so I'm voting for the orange guy to at least give them all hell"

Yeah. People flipping out about Perez are a lot like dumb accelerationists.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Rodatose posted:

The left shouldn't just timidly say "actually, muslms are all right and you don't have anything to fear from them." Someone should be saying "yeah, muslims rule, here's a bunch of art and culture and poo poo that they did that's contributed to/in line with american ideals and if you don't like it you hate america" and then more moderate messages will be more acceptable to the dumb as hell sections of the electorate who fall for "the truth is in the middle".

I think like 7 in 10 people in america don't personally know any muslims

Ask people if they think Arabic numerals should be banned.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

Jesus Christ, Donna, start with your loving glasses on.

Wow, a bit of drama, 13 vote difference

Egg Moron fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Feb 25, 2017

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Perez will be DNC chair and then Booker 2020.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Perez 1 vote short, Ellison 13.5 behind

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

JeffersonClay posted:

And again
https://twitter.com/randygdub/status/796229362643152896

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Confounding Factor posted:

I'll take it in trade for Ellison 2028. :getin:

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Perez 213.5 Ellison 200

Lol how do you get half a vote?

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Perez 213.5 Ellison 200

https://twitter.com/Alex_Roarty/status/835570745124220928

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Nevvy Z posted:

I'll take it in trade for Ellison 2028. :getin:

Speaker Ellison

Armack
Jan 27, 2006

Perez 213.5 Ellison 200

Democrats abroad get half a vote.

Edit: f,b

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Guy who got 1 vote endorsed ellison

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

They should at least get 3/5ths of a vote, come on.

Fados
Jan 7, 2013
I like Malcolm X, I can't be racist!

Put this racist dipshit on ignore immediately!

Then let the Democrats be the conservative at the core, id pol on the surface party and start some new poo poo

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

...why? Their opinion matters less cause they were away on other business? We have the Internet, they know the things everyone at the meeting knows.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Fulchrum posted:

...why? Their opinion matters less cause they were away on other business? We have the Internet, they know the things everyone at the meeting knows.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democrats_Abroad

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Nevvy Z posted:

"Tried" is a really strong word for Hildawg's populism.

Given how much bitching I heard about "identity politics" on this here board following the election, I don't think the problem was pushing pluralism with insufficient sincerity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Ah sorry, missed the distinction.

• Locked thread