Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Eh, maybe some exclusive move. Attack/Heal Order are completely exclusive to Vespiquen, and I don't think GF is ever going to change that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

mandatory lesbian posted:

none of the translators are nba fans i guess, or just as likely, are okay with it sharing the name cause eventually kevin durant will die, while pokemon is eternal

he's dead to everyone outside of a specific section of california anyway

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
My Bug of Choice will always be Volcarona, the solar moth god of my heart. I love fuzzy moths and ol' Volc is about as fuzzy as they get. She hatches my eggs, flies me places, and incinerates my enemies!

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I had a Beautifly in Alpha Sapphire that bashed heads in

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

In conclusion: Pokemon has many good bugs, and they're all real and strong and my friends.

(I've been a fan of bug-types since gen 1, imagine my joy when we finally got really good bugs that weren't obnoxious to get)

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Bug is strong against Dark because it's a bug-themed anime hero reference, right?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
The original Kamen Rider was grasshopper themed, yes.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Best bug is obvioisly the OG Beedrill. Mega Beedrill will always live on in my heart, right next to Mega Lopunny.

No matter how hard or how desperately GF tries to rip them out.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Arcade Rabbit posted:

Best bug is obvioisly the OG Beedrill. Mega Beedrill will always live on in my heart, right next to Mega Lopunny.

No matter how hard or how desperately GF tries to rip them out.

You misspelled Butterfree, aka your only hope of beating Brock if you went with Charmander.

Then again if you don't go with the water starter in every game you deserve all the pain you get.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

You misspelled Butterfree, aka your only hope of beating Brock if you went with Charmander.

Then again if you don't go with the water starter in every game you deserve all the pain you get.

You mean 'easy mode'? :colbert: I beat Red and Blue with the fire starter, without Butterfree. Never not start with fire.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Pinsir/Scizor
Volcarona/Galvantula/Durant
Ribombee
always had a Bug in my teams, except in Generation 6
they dropped the ball there

what I am saying is
This game will hopefully have bugs better than xtremophils

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Bulbasaur means three gyms on easy street, compared to Squirtle's one. It also means you're rolling with #1.

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI

chiasaur11 posted:

Bulbasaur means three gyms on easy street, compared to Squirtle's one. It also means you're rolling with #1.

Unless you're a moron like I am and went charging in as soon as possible. I think it took me two hours to whittle Brock down with Tackle.

Glaric
Oct 9, 2011

That's just sad.
Smoke + Fire = Smore?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

chiasaur11 posted:

Yeah, but the first gym is the biggest roadblock just because your options are so limited at that point. Later gyms aren't an issue because you'll have more than just normal and bug pokemon at your disposal. Plus Squirtle eventually grows cannons from his back, while Bulbasaur just blooms.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Glaric posted:

Smoke + Fire = Smore?

So it's not pronounced "S'more", but "Smo - re"? :v:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I beat Brock with a loving wild Metapod using Struggle. Brock's not that bad.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I generally like at least two out of three of the starter set, but I remember being sorely disappointed by Gen... IV I think. Turtwig was great but Piplup was boring and Chimchar was just... no.

Gen VI was a blur though, I have to actively try and remember it (I actually had to have a full minute before remembering Chespin, even though I'm a general fan of Chesnaught). I did not have good memories of X/Y, the Gen III remakes saved that generation from being completely blended into Gen V in my memory.

Hammurabi
Nov 4, 2009
Anyone who didn't choose bulbasaur in first gen is legit an awful human being and I unironically think less of them.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Your code sucks anyway :colbert:

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
I'd say Gen5 had the worst starters. didnt even have one in my team after I got it to the final form

even that's better than what the hell they were going for here though (sucks to be you, grass users)

Tofu Survivor
Nov 4, 2011

Contrary to popular belief, soy is not an effective zombie deterrent.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Difficulty is kind of hard to test properly especially for things that you want to have take a long time. You don't want your QA team to have to do a two-hour raid every time they need to test something, so you code in shortcuts. It's pretty easy to forget to do a real run before release, especially with how practically every AAA videogame seems to go through a massive amount of "crunch time" during which people are spending so much time at work that they aren't really able to think clearly.

Put another way: software development practices are often dysfunctional, with the net result that significant bugs make it through to the final release.

Blizzard's also not all that great at listening to what their testers have to say. While Legion is the best expac in a long time, they've been catching hell since day one about their legendary system even though the beta testers told them it was a bad idea and wouldn't work the way Blizzard wanted to implement it.

Classes are tuned around having specific legendary gear (insanely rare random drops from doing regular endgame content), making it a lot harder for those who've been unfortunate to stay competitive with the rest of their guildmates or group members. Not only that, but since the pool of legendaries is random, it's entirely possible to get a piece of garbage gear that's useless to you or underperforms an epic piece of gear that is a significantly lower ilevel. On top of all that, there are still people who have gone months without getting a legendary piece of gear.

"Bad luck protection" is a phrase that should have never had to exist.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Hammurabi posted:

Anyone who didn't choose bulbasaur in first gen is legit an awful human being and I unironically think less of them.

Actually cool kids user their starter to catch a trash Pokemon in the first area and then deposits it.

Ratata is the one true starter

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Hammurabi posted:

charmander bitch

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

inthesto posted:

Actually cool kids user their starter to catch a trash Pokemon in the first area and then deposits it.

Ratata is the one true starter

That's not how you spell Pidgey. I ran into a level 5 Pidgey that knew Sand Attack on my first Blue playthrough, and Swift/Mirror Move/Fly plus grinding carried me through that game.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

charmander is fine against brock anyway because geodude and onix have piss for special stats

CoffeeAvenger
Nov 3, 2016

McDragon posted:

charmander is fine against brock anyway because geodude and onix have piss for special stats

This, just ember everything to death.

Still, I would also use a trashmon to growl/tail whip onix over and over in case it wanted to spam bind. Gen I bind/wrap was infuriating.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Fire Red gave charmander iron claw to beat brock, but they got rid of it in Gen 4.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
iron claw is still way worse then ember since it misses like, all the time

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Cubone and Sandshrew are the only Pokémon for me.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Glaric posted:

Smoke + Fire = Smore?

Smoke + Bug = Smug

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Dr. Fetus posted:

:psyduck: Did the people who make the game hate humanity or something?

Yes. You can thank Hiromichi Tanaka. The same dude was responsible for the shitshow which was XIV 1.0 before they got a guy who Actually Played MMOs to unfuck it

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
I only like Pokémon with angry eyebrows.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Just reread the first update and saw the built-in "Nuzlocke" mode. I know this is going to sound really, really crazy, but it just stirred this memory I had of some webcomic I saw posted over in the thread in BYOB that chronicled some guy going through each generation...

And it was drawn like rear end. I mean, only slightly better than rageface. And I think I'm also remembering something about the author having to cut it off because he was convicted of drug offenses or something like that. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Prop Wash posted:

Smoke + Bug = Smug

Fire + Bug = Fug
: DDDDD

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Regalingualius posted:

Just reread the first update and saw the built-in "Nuzlocke" mode. I know this is going to sound really, really crazy, but it just stirred this memory I had of some webcomic I saw posted over in the thread in BYOB that chronicled some guy going through each generation...

And it was drawn like rear end. I mean, only slightly better than rageface. And I think I'm also remembering something about the author having to cut it off because he was convicted of drug offenses or something like that. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

I think that's the original Nuzlocke comic that spawned the challenge.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

hopeandjoy posted:

I think that's the original Nuzlocke comic that spawned the challenge.

Here's a link for it, if that helps jog any memories.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Cathode Raymond posted:

I only like Pokémon with angry eyebrows.

kirby is my favorite pokemon too

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Yyyyup, that's the one.

...How the gently caress did something so awful-looking ever get off the ground enough to create one of the most well-known challenges?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Regalingualius posted:

Yyyyup, that's the one.

...How the gently caress did something so awful-looking ever get off the ground enough to create one of the most well-known challenges?

The answer to that question is usually "4chan took a shine to it" so I'm gonna guess that's what happened.

• Locked thread