Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

This is incredible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
The rare case where paying $85/mo for your phone looks goddamn reasonable. :stonk:

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
lmao how is it possible to be that dumb

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

pig slut lisa posted:

This is incredible

This is much smaller levels of BWM, but the CFO at one of my old jobs still paid for AOL service because he had been using an AOL email address with his name in it for 15 years and didn't want to change. He could not use outlook and I had to set him up with an email account that had our organization's domain name and forward all emails to his AOL account.

Even when I went above and beyond my duties and let him know that you don't need to pay to have an AOL address anymore, he still insisted on paying for it because he had "things working the way I like it and I don't want to mess anything up. All my business, personal, and social things are on there and $20 a month is not much to make sure it all keeps working."

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Noctone posted:

lmao how is it possible to be that dumb

Either he's faking it or he's [Is $500 a lot?]-levels rich

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

This is much smaller levels of BWM, but the CFO at one of my old jobs still paid for AOL service because he had been using an AOL email address with his name in it for 15 years and didn't want to change. He could not use outlook and I had to set him up with an email account that had our organization's domain name and forward all emails to his AOL account.

Even when I went above and beyond my duties and let him know that you don't need to pay to have an AOL address anymore, he still insisted on paying for it because he had "things working the way I like it and I don't want to mess anything up. All my business, personal, and social things are on there and $20 a month is not much to make sure it all keeps working."

I don't think this is dumb per se. If the business ain't broke don't fix it.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Accretionist posted:

Either he's faking it or he's [Is $500 a lot?]-levels rich

I remember thinking I was getting ripped off for 70 dollars with Sprint and a smart phone like 4 years ago.

Cricket for life.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Mantle posted:

I don't think this is dumb per se. If the business ain't broke don't fix it.

He didn't need dial-up to keep the AOL address though.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

He didn't need dial-up to keep the AOL address though.

No, but he needed to risk something breaking by changing the system that is out of his control. Who knows what AOL's system would do when you cancel? If it would behave as instructed?

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Yeah. That's extreme but I have zero trouble understanding AOL guy. companies just up and rearrange your poo poo on the daily now because whatever UI guy or product lead had to look busy. it's annoying as hell just randomly having bits of your life hosed with on someone else's schedule. if I were a bit older and a bit more obstinate I could easily be that guy

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Ask yourself whether you think a C level executive gives a gently caress about $240 a year versus preserving the way he's comfortable working, whether or not he can trust the IT guy "it will be just the same."

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

That's like $5,000 in overpaid phone service.

He said years. It's way past $5000.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Ask yourself whether you think a C level executive gives a gently caress about $240 a year versus preserving the way he's comfortable working, whether or not he can trust the IT guy "it will be just the same."

If he had to actively pay it in one go he might, but at $20/mo passively billed there's no way.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Oh, reddit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/5w0328/i_havent_filed_taxes_since_2014_and_ive_been/ posted:

I haven't filed taxes since 2014 and I've been claiming exempt on my paychecks for 2 and a half years. I make 50K salary. I'm filing all 3 of my W-2s now. Anyone have any guess as to how much trouble I'm in?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

quote:

Like the title says. I put off doing this last year because of how terrified I was to owe tens of thousands to the government
I get the fear, but how do you delude yourself into thinking it's going to get any better if you wait? It's not like the IRS is going to forget you owe them money.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Motronic posted:

Oh, reddit.

I discovered a month ago that Canada is expecting me to file 2012-2015, which I hadn't myself expected, but I wasn't a resident so it should turn out OK.

That guy is hosed badly.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

That's like $5,000 in overpaid phone service.

I've worked in phones for 7 years, with time at Sprint, ATT and Big Red. You have no idea how poorly people pay attention to and understand their phone bills. I've had people with $50 international features that never got removed on for years because they just don't read their bills. So many people are fine with whatever as long as it is monthly and not a today expense.

Absolutely phone companies are notorious for not helping the matter. But if you go 5-6 months without reading your bill and even trying to understand it, at that point I just got nothing.

I'm perfectly ok with it, because people not taking the time to understand keeps me employed (hence they come in, ask, buy, etc). It still sad.

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
From the It Came From Reddit file

"https://www.reddit.com/r/StudentLoans/comments/5w5q03/fraudulent_lending_practices_by_b_of_a_for/ posted:

Long story shortened (because not sure if it belongs here and r/legal advice) is that I took out numerous private student loans (~$3-8k) over the course of 2 years which were "cosigned" by the mother, however, she didn't know anything of them until I joined the Navy and I couldn't defer any longer.

I have medical documentation showing my social anxiety, substance dependence, and other chronic psychological issues during this time period. While I don't excuse my actions and I'm willing to take any consequences because of, I feel like the bank(s) made no effort to verify my mother's existence other than through some signed papers. There are several loans taken out a month or two apart on two or so occasions which seem to show no correlation when compared to a "standard" academic semester/quarter. If credit card companies watch for fraudulent spending, wouldn't it make sense that financial corps also show some prudent safety for the borrower and/or co-signer?

Not wanting to get out of them (even though I've paid $20k of which maybe 25% is principal), however, I also don't want my mom having to use her pension to pay my loans in order to keep her house/pension/financial security.
I will be in touch with legal services, but just wanted some thoughts and opinions (about resolving this, not how hosed up I was in some illness). Please keep it relevent.

OP fraudulently forges mother's signature to consign on private loans, blames banks for not trying hard enough to stop him.

sparkmaster fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Feb 26, 2017

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

r/{finance something} + r/legaladvice crossovers are pretty much the best

Trillian
Sep 14, 2003

sparkmaster posted:

From the It Came From Reddit file

OP fraudulently forges mother's signature to consign on private loans, blames banks for not trying hard enough to stop him.

That one is so good I don't really believe it. He's in the comments claiming he committed fraud "under duress" and the bank should've known but chose not to stop him so they could make a profit. Awesome.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

as long as he claims clueless inept ignorance as his reason for his booboo + clearly states his intention to pay his entire tax liability, i doubt he gets hit with anything other than his tax + penalties + interest. The IRS doesn't care about anything except getting paid what they're owed, and people cant pay their back taxes from prison.

I'm speaking from experience here; while I was drinking I basically didn't file poo poo '07-'13. Taking care of it was a matter of a few phone calls, filing by fax, and making goddamn sure that there's enough in my checking to cover the couple hundred the payment plan pulls each month.

of course posting "hay guyse i evaded taxes for three years am i gonna be in trouble???" on reddit is not a great start

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Haifisch posted:

I get the fear, but how do you delude yourself into thinking it's going to get any better if you wait? It's not like the IRS is going to forget you owe them money.

you dont get the fear

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

OMGVBFLOL posted:

you dont get the fear

I'd love to hear some of your crazier financial fuckups if you don't mind. It sounds like you've been there and back again.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

And out of curiosity, how badly do you have to cheat on taxes before they track you down? I ask because I've been under the impression that the IRS is so under funded these days on account of being a political football that they don't have the resources to go after anything but the big fish.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Thesaurus posted:

And out of curiosity, how badly do you have to cheat on taxes before they track you down? I ask because I've been under the impression that the IRS is so under funded these days on account of being a political football that they don't have the resources to go after anything but the big fish.

I got a letter/bill from the IRS in 2013 because in 2012 when filing my 2011 tax return, I omitted a W2 (it was mailed to the wrong address and I used HnR Block that year so I didn't notice it was missing).

I only owed around $1800 and it was probably automated and basically said that if I didn't contest it within 30 days but also didn't pay, they might take further action up to and including garnishing my paychecks. That's not quite the same as actually cheating on your taxes, but there might be a record in their system if you have a W2 job and never file taxes (but I hear there's also some people would be owed a refund and don't file -- the IRS doesn't go after those people).

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Colin Mockery posted:

I got a letter/bill from the IRS in 2013 because in 2012 when filing my 2011 tax return, I omitted a W2 (it was mailed to the wrong address and I used HnR Block that year so I didn't notice it was missing).

I only owed around $1800 and it was probably automated and basically said that if I didn't contest it within 30 days but also didn't pay, they might take further action up to and including garnishing my paychecks. That's not quite the same as actually cheating on your taxes, but there might be a record in their system if you have a W2 job and never file taxes (but I hear there's also some people would be owed a refund and don't file -- the IRS doesn't go after those people).

Yeah, because not filing a tax return isn't a crime, it's owing taxes and not paying them that's the problem. The IRS doesn't really care if you don't claim your refunds.

Here's some BWM:

Knitting and spinning are not the cheapest hobbies if your goal is just to obtain garments and home textiles. If you're looking at dollars/hours of entertainment they're great, but people can easily spend a couple grand on a spinning wheel. That said, if you have to ask about financing one, you can't loving afford it.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/5w4x3y/im_30_and_have_1825k_in_student_loans_totaling/

Took out 182k in student loans.
Makes 50k/yr
Has almost $500/mo car payment
Wants "more house" for their as of yet unplanned children

Proposition Castle
Aug 9, 2004
Witty message goes here.

NancyPants posted:

Yeah, because not filing a tax return isn't a crime, it's owing taxes and not paying them that's the problem. The IRS doesn't really care if you don't claim your refunds.

Here's some BWM:

Knitting and spinning are not the cheapest hobbies if your goal is just to obtain garments and home textiles. If you're looking at dollars/hours of entertainment they're great, but people can easily spend a couple grand on a spinning wheel. That said, if you have to ask about financing one, you can't loving afford it.

I'd love to see a used car sale voice over played over stock images of spinning wheels.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
I'm wondering what the used market looks like. Is there some guy out there posting signs saying he's bought every spinning wheel he's seen?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

For Oceanography undergrad and Environmental Science grad school. :waycool:

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

AA is for Quitters posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/5w4x3y/im_30_and_have_1825k_in_student_loans_totaling/

Took out 182k in student loans.
Makes 50k/yr
Has almost $500/mo car payment

You missed the best part. She gave up a .25% rate reduction so she could implement her own weekly payment plan. To save money on compounding interest.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Yeah but she can see her balance going down.

(Couldn't she do both?)

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

SlapActionJackson posted:

You missed the best part. She gave up a .25% rate reduction so she could implement her own weekly payment plan. To save money on compounding interest.

It's not clear, but her husband apparently makes "six figures" now, and for some reason he can't/won't help her pay?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Thesaurus posted:

It's not clear, but her husband apparently makes "six figures" now, and for some reason he can't/won't help her pay?

He's paying everything else. The mortgage, utilities, his car, etc. He did help her pay 5 grand off a credit card though.

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

For Oceanography undergrad and Environmental Science grad school. :waycool:

My girlfriend has a graduate degree in environmental science (no debt, though). I joined her at an event that featured alumni talking about what they were doing with their degrees. One person really did get a pretty good salary bump from the degree. The other three people on the panel just went back to the same low-paying job they left to get the degree. Apparently the secret to success is to already be a highly-paid consultant or lawyer who specializes in the area.

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

lavaca posted:

My girlfriend has a graduate degree in environmental science (no debt, though). I joined her at an event that featured alumni talking about what they were doing with their degrees. One person really did get a pretty good salary bump from the degree. The other three people on the panel just went back to the same low-paying job they left to get the degree. Apparently the secret to success is to already be a highly-paid consultant or lawyer who specializes in the area.

I had some friends go into environmental consulting and made pretty good money for their first job out of school, around $60k plus 2 weeks vacation and holidays. Then there was a market downturn and got laid off. I started with them at my first job in operations, and we all got paid the same $31.5k with 6 vacation days, no holidays. That hit one guy really hard- not only was his ego crumbled after 4 months of unemployment and finding this job paying half his old salary, but he was also making payments on a full set of furniture (bought 2 months into the old job). It was sitting in a storage container and smelled a bit musty once he was moving in for the new job. He still had like 5 years of payments left.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

AA is for Quitters posted:

On the bright side, they seem to have listened to reason on this point:

quote:

I showed my husband all these comments and we talked and agreed to really cut back. We were not having kids yet, just planning on the possibility of thinking about it in a few years, so cool your jets. We’ll give it a few more years beyond that, we’re still young.
I'm curious what size house they have now, though - people tend to way overestimate how much space a kid needs, let alone young kids. 90% of the time, "we need a bigger house for the kids!" just seems like an excuse to buy more house than you can afford.

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

This guy is asking if his 401K provider is a scam

quote:

So my company uses Ubiquity Retirement + Savings for our 401ks. It charges CRAZY HIGH fees to the point where we're basically not getting any return/it's a tiny bit higher maybe than if it sat in a savings account.

Anyone else have experience with this company? They are 1/5 stars on Google and have terrible reviews.

I'm think of decreasing the amount I put in there, and only do it for the match.

Would appreciate any help. Thanks!

fees: http://imgur.com/qUcouxu http://imgur.com/G7nMa5L

quote:

The fees you're referring to is the expected growth. Not fees

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

I have a distant relative that is a scumbag and possibly a rapist. He allegedly sexually assaulted a female member of his cohort in his last year of medical school. So he dropped out and moved back home. His older brother bailed him out, and to repay him he was supposed to work at the older brother's business and do data entry for a few months.

Tax time rolled around a few months later and none of the data had been entered. His next job he got fired from. He was an assistant manager at a mexican food restaurant, and he would close it down early on the weekends and host open-bar parties for his friends.

The only thing that doesn't make me completely revolted by this douchebag is that he's basically unemployable with over half a million dollars in student loan debt. He's never getting unburied from that.

Well I mean he has enough student loan debt that his only viable option is suicide so you might as well steal all the booze from everywhere you could possibly steal it from

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

lavaca posted:

To be fair once america is made great again and the EPA shuts down and the world speeds off the global warming cliff "how do I make the environment not destroy me" will probably be a pretty in-demand job

• Locked thread