Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Junior Jr. posted:

they might as well say every COD campaign after World at War is "pretty good" because they're all half-assed.

BLOPSIII had a cool story about people driven criminally insane by playing too many WWII FPS games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I just mean like, the completely juvenile attempt at emotional manipulation while also making the war even more of a setting than usual. Like hundreds of people dying on both sides constantly was accepted by the 5 major characters as the setting and we were only supposed to care about the Dawson's creek level dramatic writing between those 5 characters. It just felt really weird.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The sooner you accept that enemies in the COD campaigns are paper targets with slightly more mobility and nothing more unless they have a name, the sooner you will be able to play them and have fun instead of thinking about how many orphans and widows you have created

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I played through the tutorial case and the first case of Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney this morning, and I thought it was really good! No dumb adventure logic (I didn't have to rub stuff against random stuff), and the pacing of the dialogue and the twists and turns is absolutely delightful.

Does the rest of game (and the two following games, Justice For All and Trials and Tribulations) more or less maintain that level of quality? The part I played through was free, so I'm wondering if it's worth the twenty-four dollars to just buy the whole set.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

It makes me think of Max Payne 3 where he's constantly beating himself up about what a terrible bodyguard he is while effortlessly headshotting hundreds of men

Jay Rust posted:

I played through the tutorial case and the first case of Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney this morning, and I thought it was really good! No dumb adventure logic (I didn't have to rub stuff against random stuff), and the pacing of the dialogue and the twists and turns is absolutely delightful.

Does the rest of game (and the two following games, Justice For All and Trials and Tribulations) more or less maintain that level of quality? The part I played through was free, so I'm wondering if it's worth the twenty-four dollars to just buy the whole set.

The whole series is great. People will tell you Justice For All/Apollo Justice are bad but they're wrong

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

The sooner you accept that enemies in the COD campaigns are paper targets with slightly more mobility and nothing more unless they have a name, the sooner you will be able to play them and have fun instead of thinking about how many orphans and widows you have created

I don't mean that. I don't give a poo poo about that. This isn't a "ludonarrative dissonance" argument.

I mean the dialogue was literally like what someone in junior high would write to try to sound edgy and badass. Like the characters were in an 11 year old's concept if what war as a setting would be like. Then I got online and played multiplayer with a bunch of children born after 9/11 and felt really uncomfortable about the whole thing.

There were some great Halloween dlcs though, where you could play as The Predator or Michael Myers in soecial game types...

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Snak posted:

I just mean like, the completely juvenile attempt at emotional manipulation while also making the war even more of a setting than usual. Like hundreds of people dying on both sides constantly was accepted by the 5 major characters as the setting and we were only supposed to care about the Dawson's creek level dramatic writing between those 5 characters. It just felt really weird.

You make it sound like a Starship Troopers game.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I have never seen anyone actually playing guitar hero or other plastic guitar games in person. Every time, especially at parties, it would often be there but sitting collecting dust in a corner.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Sakurazuka posted:

Play the Walking Dead season 1 and Tales From Borderlands then NO MORE

god i love tales from the borderlands

Jay Rust posted:

there's one really, really bad case in Justice For All that takes loving forever, like half the game, but on the whole, the first three phoenix wright games maintain a pretty fantastic level of quality and even that one really lovely case is followed up by one of the best cases in the series

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Feb 25, 2017

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

You make it sound like a Starship Troopers game.

The FPS that came out in 2005 for PC and PlayStation 2 was pretty alright.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
So did Last Guardian and Tides of Numenara end up being good?

I'm extremely depressed today to the point of possibly quitting my job, maybe the rush of spending money will help.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Don't spend money if you think you might be quitting your job, please. The Last Guardian turned out to be pretty good. Torment: Tides of Numenera is not finished yet, so no opinion.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Torment still isn't out, I could have sworn it came out a couple weeks ago. Good lord.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Yeah, early access games are bad times. There's no incentive or accountability for developers to finish their games when they are funded by people they don't have to answer to (Star Citizen and ARK to name a few). Torment: Tides of Numenera has been early access on Steam for over a year, although I guess it will finally be finished on Tuesday? The Steam page doesn't make this clear, but Google searching reveals that as the date.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I threw some money at the Grim Dawn dudes for early access but I think that was the exception to the rule because a) they had already released a very similar game in the past, and b) it was an ARPG, where replaying the game through patches and total build updates is more or less expected.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Lurdiak posted:

Wowers, my friend really liked Night in the Woods!

https://twitter.com/FrancisCoulombe/status/835473533346140160

I haven't played it but everything about the game's aesthetic seems to be laser-targeted to the kind of people who use the term "adulting" unironically so I'm not surprised to see so much fanart of it in such a short amount of time. That and it seems like the perfect style to cram your OC/fursona into with minimal effort.

Jay Rust posted:

The tutorial case is super linear and obvious compared to the rest of the game(s), it also doesn't touch on the investigation segments of the game that suffers the most from occasionally from having to pixel hunt for items or brute-force every dialogue option and inventory item until you hit the magical trigger.

That said they're still great games with good writing, humor, and minimal Japanese anime insensitivity/creepiness so if you liked the first case then go for it. Just savescum and/or use a guide if needed.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Help Im Alive posted:

It makes me think of Max Payne 3 where he's constantly beating himself up about what a terrible bodyguard he is while effortlessly headshotting hundreds of men

This at least kind of makes sense though because Max is a terrible bodyguard, he kills a lot of people but the people he's supposed to be protecting frequently die, get kidnapped, he spends most of the game a step behind what's happening, etc. Like yeah he kills a shitload of people but he's kind of a mess otherwise.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Guy Mann posted:

I haven't played it but everything about the game's aesthetic seems to be laser-targeted to the kind of people who use the term "adulting" unironically so I'm not surprised to see so much fanart of it in such a short amount of time. That and it seems like the perfect style to cram your OC/fursona into with minimal effort.
This sort of post is precisely why everyone thinks you're a bad poster, friend.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Night in the Woods looks like a cute game and I want to play it.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
The heck does "adulting" mean

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

FirstAidKite posted:

I have no idea but I know enough to know it's not something you should Google.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Guy Mann posted:

its a good game which is probably why you haven't played it

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

alternate joke: you can tell it's a good game because guy mann thinks it sucks

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Guy Mann posted:

lol

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

FirstAidKite posted:

It's people pretending that they have a difficult time with basic functions, taking care of oneself, cleaning up the house, running errands, etc. Millennials wanting to label themselves as children and then getting upset when everyone views them as such.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

alternate alternate joke: guy mann

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaE94c_Z0v0

Snak posted:

The only modern CoD I've played is Ghosts. Now, I hear that it was a bad one, but to this day I cannot get over how gross the story of the campaign was.
http://www.zam.com/article/1161/remember-when-call-of-duty-had-you-defend-a-border-wall-from-latinos

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

I said come in! posted:

a difficult time with basic functions, taking care of oneself, cleaning up the house, running errands, etc.

P sure this is just clinical depression

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I said come in! posted:

It's people pretending that they have a difficult time with basic functions, taking care of oneself, cleaning up the house, running errands, etc. Millennials wanting to label themselves as children and then getting upset when everyone views them as such.

Wow, an unironic "those drat Millennials" comment.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah, you don't need a special word to describe the stupidity of a group of young people when just "young people" will do

I was young once, and let me tell you, I was a loving retard. I did slam poetry. On purpose

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

precision posted:

Yeah, you don't need a special word to describe the stupidity of a group of young people when just "young people" will do

I was young once, and let me tell you, I was a loving retard. I did slam poetry. On purpose

What a millennial thing to say and do

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

bloodychill posted:

I have the App Store version. It's really good, but yeah, not exactly worth the investment if you don't already have a smart phone or tablet.

Is it worth playing single player against the AI? Or do you play it with friends?

I said come in! posted:

Night in the Woods looks like a cute game and I want to play it.

If you think it looks cute I think you'll like it. My wife is playing through it and really loving it. Its similar to Life Is Strange with the ages of the protagonists, the thoughtful personal interactions, and the tinge of fantasy realism. Night in the Woods hasn't hit any supernatural elements quite like LiS yet, although I think it's coming. So far it's a lot of walking and talking with some jumping, flavored with side elements of Guitar Hero and Hyper Light Drifter. I think that if you do not see the humor in the word "adulting" you probably won't enjoy the game, but it has good characters and dialogue and honestly you already know if the game is something you're into.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Andrast posted:

What a millennial thing to say and do

I'd thank you to remember that I'm actually Generation X, which as my old friend Wammo once said in "There Is Too Much Light in This Bar" is the worst thing to be as it was the name of Billy Idol's first band.

Though to be fair, "Kiss Me Deadly" is a great song.

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
If you think that some things are good and cool, you'll probably think Night in the Woods is good and cool, too.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

FirstAidKite posted:

P sure this is just clinical depression

It's not though in the context that people are using it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Guy Mann posted:

Hmmm I don't think you should box in the appeal of the game like that, Frankie's not really that kinda dude and he loved it.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Only watched GB's Quick Look, but I was surprised to see that Night in the Woods is set "nowadays." Something about the visual and thematic aesthetic made me assume it was late 90s, early aughts, I guess.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

precision posted:

They also go by another word...

pussies

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Let me tell you what's wrong with today's kids,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

• Locked thread