Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Some more screenshots:

This one looks loving weird--like what is even happening at the top? Can't tell if that's actually the game or how it was composited from screenshots.

Apparently Remnant Tech opens doors to the rift.

Close up from that last shot.

And some comments about the "tone" wheel

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Feb 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

marshmallow creep posted:

Some more screenshots:

the way Alpha Protocol framed their dialogue system was that the choices were split between the three "B's": Professional was Jason Bourne, Casual was James Bond, Aggressive was Jack Bauer

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

So what's the Sisko option aside from [Punch]?

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

This is good because being able to mindlessly hold in the direction I wanted to progress the story I was going to ignore without having to pay attention to the words so I could get my macguffin and get back to playing a video game is one of the reasons why Alpha Protocol was so good.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Zigmidge posted:

This is good because being able to mindlessly hold in the direction I wanted to progress the story I was going to ignore without having to pay attention to the words so I could get my macguffin and get back to playing a video game is one of the reasons why Alpha Protocol was so good.

You played Alpha Protocol for the gameplay?

:psyduck:

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

So you don't see what you say before you say it? You just pick an emotion and Ryder blurts something out? If so I hope they include a "wait wait sorry obviously what I meant to say is" button

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO
:lol:

this thread is about:
1) Basement troll alien sex
2) Bashing ME3 which is understandable because it sucked
3) Legitimate questions about PC power to run the game

1. I just played the game for the 3rd time and I think I hosed Garrus but the cut-scene skipped and I was really tired last night and I think it skipped some stuff because I had already beaten it twice and had all the achievements .

2. ME3 was terrible, but I just beat 2 and I'm probably going to play it later because MEH why not. I literally can't remember a single companion or any of the story, and I remembered every single thing from 2.

3. I will be playing on Xbox because I'm almost 40 and I'm tired of building PC's and spending all that money for 1 or two games in a year. poo poo, my 2-year old Surface has an i7. If you don't have that, just buy an Xbox or other console and you can play on your couch on your bigscreen and eat dinner while still mining a planet for resources listening to Tricha Helfer tell you to Probe Away

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
Videogame marketing is a bunch of bullshit anyway, I'm glad that they're not spending billions of dollars on making a CGI trailer with Marilyn Manson that has literally nothing to do with the game.

If I flirt with everyone I meet, will I be able to get a trombone? This is important.

Hobo Clown posted:

So you don't see what you say before you say it? You just pick an emotion and Ryder blurts something out? If so I hope they include a "wait wait sorry obviously what I meant to say is" button
Presumably it will still give you a general indication on what you will say, but prioritizing making it clear what tone you'll use is so much better than the occasionally misleading snippets they used to have. A problem Witcher 2 had as well.
*Clicks "Very funny." Geralt: "gently caress YOU!"

Groetgaffel fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Feb 25, 2017

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Hobo Clown posted:

I'm pretty sure it's like Dragon Age 2/3, which is almost identical to how Mass Effect handles conversations but you get little pictures in the dialogue wheel when you select a response that gives you a better idea of what the tone of the response is (which ME had problems with on occasion).

EDIT: The reason why those screenshots look so weird is because they look like they're supposed to be 360 degree pictures. Those things always look weird and distorted when viewed outside of a proper viewer.

Veotax fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Feb 25, 2017

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Andrast posted:

You played Alpha Protocol for the gameplay?

:psyduck:

It was a very clever stealth game for its time where the only thing the story did was determine the level's initial conditions.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Some more screenshots:

This one looks loving weird--like what is even happening at the top? Can't tell if that's actually the game or how it was composited from screenshots.

You've never seen a panoramic photo before?

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Zigmidge posted:

It was a very clever stealth game for its time where the only thing the story did was determine the level's initial conditions.

Also the story was so weak there was no way I was going to pay attention to it after the first time. I expect the same here.

Also with every video game.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Groetgaffel posted:

Presumably it will still give you a general indication on what you will say, but prioritizing making it clear what tone you'll use is so much better than the occasionally misleading snippets they used to have. A problem Witcher 2 had as well.
*Clicks "Very funny." Geralt: "gently caress YOU!"

Yes.

Unless they've changed it since November, you still get a short summary of your point, but the icon will indicate what "tone" you're going to take with that, so you hopefully aren't surprised when you do something like break a man's leg.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Good to see Marlon Quaye getting work.

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!
I preordered the deluxe edition of Andromeda on PC.

Who wants to be my origin friend add me username 'AlexAfterman'

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Zigmidge posted:

Also the story was so weak there was no way I was going to pay attention to it after the first time. I expect the same here.

Also with every video game.

Are you for real here, Alpha Protocol had one of the best examples of a branching storyline in modern gaming. You could make a boss basically commit suicide, or if you make a certain one hate you by being a cocky poo poo he stands and dies instead of fleeing to pop up later. Hell, even doing the areas in different orders led to new and interesting dialogues.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

There were comments from press in preview builds that Sloane Kelly (that character) has been updated since that trailer. Not sure how much, though.

Also:

If you were curious what finishing the Andromeda Initiatives briefings lets you do to your car.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Groetgaffel posted:

Videogame marketing is a bunch of bullshit anyway, I'm glad that they're not spending billions of dollars on making a CGI trailer with Marilyn Manson that has literally nothing to do with the game.
What is this referencing?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Reclaimer posted:

Are you for real here, Alpha Protocol had one of the best examples of a branching storyline in modern gaming. You could make a boss basically commit suicide, or if you make a certain one hate you by being a cocky poo poo he stands and dies instead of fleeing to pop up later. Hell, even doing the areas in different orders led to new and interesting dialogues.

and if you try to make him angry by being a cocky poo poo but have up to that point not been a cocky poo poo he figures out you're just trying to make him angry because he's done his research on what kind of person you are and calls you out on it

what a game, man

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

There were comments from press in preview builds that Sloane Kelly (that character) has been updated since that trailer. Not sure how much, though.

Also:

If you were curious what finishing the Andromeda Initiatives briefings lets you do to your car.

So you get that as well as the helmet for watching all the briefings?

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Flipswitch posted:

What is this referencing?
The old Dragon Age Origins teaser:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrFSKkQRW8A

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Reclaimer posted:

I urge you to pay closer attention

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Cythereal posted:

So what's the Sisko option aside from [Punch]?

Ryder is an trained chef and into baseball.

Codependent Poster posted:

Just lol at all the people who keep making up things about why the game will suck.

"They haven't shown any gameplay! How suspicious!"

They release gameplay videos and the combat looks great.

"Well, they haven't shown us conversations with companions! How suspicious!"

Nevermind the game is still weeks away, and the smart thing to do is not do a giant marketing blitz until Zero Dawn and Zelda has come out.

After years of huge blitzes and spoilers beating you down for two years before a game comes out I'm digging the recent trend of "less is more." It worked for Fallout 4 and seems to be going okay for Andromeda. I'm looking forward to actually discovering things in a game for a change even if it is just background about npcs or what critters run around a certain planet.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

I'm having a Mandela Effect moment, I could have sworn that song was used for Dragon Age 2, a game which definitely could be accurately described as "the new poo poo".

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Pattonesque posted:

and if you try to make him angry by being a cocky poo poo but have up to that point not been a cocky poo poo he figures out you're just trying to make him angry because he's done his research on what kind of person you are and calls you out on it

what a game, man

And your enemies include Al Qaeda, a Russian mobster with an obsession for hair metal and Chinese Batman.

Zigmidge posted:

I urge you to pay closer attention

Shhh I just wanna wax nostalgic about this excellent game now in this thread about bad games (J/K andromeda gonna be good af)

mrfishstick
Oct 15, 2005

SgtSteel91 posted:

So you get that as well as the helmet for watching all the briefings?

Yeah, it's the car skin just for signing up and the helmet for watching all six of the briefing videos once they're out.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

precision posted:

I'm having a Mandela Effect moment, I could have sworn that song was used for Dragon Age 2, a game which definitely could be accurately described as "the new poo poo".
Correct as you are about DA2 being poo poo, DA: O was The New poo poo, whilst DA2 had the Button = Awesome connection.
To be honest I don't remember a shred of DA: I marketing. Hell, I don't even remember buying it, I just realised I had it sitting in my Origin library at the start of January this year.

E:VVVVVV poo poo, you're right, I had entirely forgotten that stupid tagline.

Groetgaffel fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Feb 25, 2017

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Groetgaffel posted:

Correct as you are about DA2 being poo poo, DA: O was The New poo poo, whilst DA2 had the Button = Awesome connection.
To be honest I don't remember a shred of DA: I marketing. Hell, I don't even remember buying it, I just realised I had it sitting in my Origin library at the start of January this year.

I think DA2 was advertised as "Darker, Edgier, Sexier" at one point too

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

SgtSteel91 posted:

It was "Grimmer, bloodier, sexier", I remember that much because it's hard to forget someone seemingly equating blood and sex.

Groetgaffel posted:

Inquisition marketing was insanely low-key, I bought it as soon as it came out but just about the only thing I knew was that you'd get to have a castle and you could date a fabulous Spanish man.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Groetgaffel posted:

Just LOL if you don't spring for Paul McCartney singing on the moon.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Groetgaffel posted:

They got one of the youtube musicians I follow to record a pretty good promo song for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MVqdYcbDp8

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Fangz posted:

They got one of the youtube musicians I follow to record a pretty good promo song for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MVqdYcbDp8
I knew Gav had done an Inquisition song, as he has for many games I enjoy, but I did not know that this one was one of the marketing deals.

E: In any case Gavin 'MiracleofSound' Dunne, is a cool guy that makes good stuff.

Groetgaffel fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Feb 25, 2017

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Trast posted:

Ryder is an trained chef and into baseball.

And black with a spiritual side. Not at all a bad foundation to a character, including a known penchant for punching omnipotent beings in the face.

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO
Nobody ever replies to me in this thread, which is totally fine, since I don't care-

but thanks again and GENUINE thanks this time, because this thread made me purchase EA Access for $30 and I've already played and beaten ME2 and I am about to play 3 after I also play Origins again. And I've gotten a bunch of Plants vs. Zombies for when I'm really bored. I think it was a well-spent $30. IDK. Tootles

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Cythereal posted:

And black with a spiritual side. Not at all a bad foundation to a character, including a known penchant for punching omnipotent beings in the face.

The only problem will be the mini-games where Ryder has to sit outside the kitchen washing oysters and clams.

DoggPickle posted:

Nobody ever replies to me in this thread, which is totally fine, since I don't care-

but thanks again and GENUINE thanks this time, because this thread made me purchase EA Access for $30 and I've already played and beaten ME2 and I am about to play 3 after I also play Origins again. And I've gotten a bunch of Plants vs. Zombies for when I'm really bored. I think it was a well-spent $30. IDK. Tootles

I loved the original Plants vs Zombies.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Trast posted:

I loved the original Plants vs Zombies.

Was that f2p sequel any good?

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Mymla posted:

Was that f2p sequel any good?

Its graphics lost some charm of the original as they went for Paper-Mario style cutouts, the paywall hit really hard and you had to replay missions multiple times just to advance.

In other words they converted it to a lovely f2p game.

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...

SgtSteel91 posted:

"Darker, Sexier, Better" was a quote from PC Gamer in a review where they intimated that DA2 might be the RPG of the decade. It was pretty clear the reviewer never actually played the game but whatever. You should ignore all the shite pc gaming publications say anyway.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Deakul posted:

Are you an idiot?

Do you just want EVERYTHING spoiled? You can find out their backstories in any of the previews and on the game's site.

poo poo, all of the previews were extremely enthusiastic about the companions and thought that what they saw of them was very promising.

Peebee walks to her own daredevil drumbeat and has an unrivalled thirst for adventure. She’s pathologically independent but manages to maintain a loose, even friendly spirit. Bored with the Milky Way, she would have done anything to join the Initiative – flirt, favors, fudged credentials. But to her, she was just hitching a ride to the great unknown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Peebee walks to her own daredevil drumbeat and has an unrivalled thirst for adventure. She’s pathologically independent but manages to maintain a loose, even friendly spirit. Bored with the Milky Way, she would have done anything to join the Initiative – flirt, favors, fudged credentials. But to her, she was just hitching a ride to the great unknown.

They changed Pathologically to something else, right? Like, recently?