Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Open Marriage Night posted:

We should do a run down of all the things Batman eats. In Broken City, he grills a steak, and talks about how it's relaxing, while the detective he's talking to says grilling a steak is stressful trying to make it perfect. Also, we all went nuts a couple issues ago about Bruce eating a burger with a fork and knife. According to the Annual, Ace is not dinner.

In Batman Beyond, Bruce mentions that he can't figure out how to make crumpets like Alfred did, so he obviously ate those.

Also...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMhxJFmj4Og&t=52s

Um excuse me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gg5QBrwKF94

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I remember in one issue of JLA by Morrison (the one where they fight Starro and Dream has a guest appearance) Superman says he has the ability to induce sleep in himself. Has he ever had that ability anywhere else?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

That's not even a super power. I'm going to do it in about twenty minutes.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Open Marriage Night posted:

Does he actually see their soul, or is it his various visions seeing body heat and bioelectricity? Birthright is probably the only version of his origin I haven't read. I still need to do my review of all of them one day. That is one origin story I never get tired of.

As I remember, it's bioelectric energy (which I guess is why trees and other plants don't have it). But he's rather soppy and romantic about how it's representative of the beauty of life because, well, Superman.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

I remember a Superman issue featuring Superboy from about 10+ years ago.

It was after Superboy found out Lex Luthor was his dad and that he had implanted mind control words into his head.

Basically Superboy goes through this mopey phase where he ponders if he is human or even real at all or just a flesh and blood machine.
Now this in and of itself is an interesting story thread.

It was resolved when Superman tells Kon that he has soul vision, and that he can see Kon's soul. So he's totally a real boy.
This level of plot contrivence wasn't what annoyed me. More that instead of some hero with soul or magic based powers like Raven or Zauriel or Zantana doing it, they just decided to give Superman soul vision.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

An issue of Teen Titans did have Raven doing it.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Superhero food chat; I was in a Five Guys today and they had comics panels on the wall where Spider-man claims that Five Guys do the best burgers in NY, and someone (possibly Luke Cage?) retorts "only til they finally open an In-and-out burger".

Edit to add: And also food related I'm willing to bet that Spider-man cant eat microwave rice without bursting into tears.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

SiKboy posted:

Superhero food chat; I was in a Five Guys today and they had comics panels on the wall where Spider-man claims that Five Guys do the best burgers in NY, and someone (possibly Luke Cage?) retorts "only til they finally open an In-and-out burger".

Edit to add: And also food related I'm willing to bet that Spider-man cant eat microwave rice without bursting into tears.

Pretty sure it's Hawkeye, since it's a reference to him being on the West Coast Avengers.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Senior Woodchuck posted:

As I remember, it's bioelectric energy (which I guess is why trees and other plants don't have it). But he's rather soppy and romantic about how it's representative of the beauty of life because, well, Superman.

See, that's good. It's like the end of All Star when Luthor breaks down after seeing the world the way Superman does.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Skwirl posted:

Pretty sure it's Hawkeye, since it's a reference to him being on the West Coast Avengers.

Quite possibly, I really just glanced at it!

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Roth posted:

An issue of Teen Titans did have Raven doing it.

That one was much better.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Peter thinking some chain burger is the best is perfect for him.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Aphrodite posted:

Peter thinking some chain burger is the best is perfect for him.

I mean, to be fair, Five Guys is excellent. At least, the one near me is.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I had a Five Guys in virginia, it might have been before they expanded into a big chain but mine was bizarre. Like they make a big deal about cooking the hamburgers in Peanut Oil, right? So the entire place was filled with barrels of peanuts. You got free peanuts with your fries, peanut greese was on the windows just peanuts everywhere

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Does anyone know if any of Thor's children have ever shown up in main line/616 continuity? In the old myths he had two sons, Magni and Modi, and a daughter, Thrud.

He had them with Sif which might complicate things but I'm curious if any writer has pitched Thor as the center of his family, especially considering how much Marvel likes to push the brotherly drama with him, Loki, Odin.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
There's a Five Guys in Belfast (I think there's one here and one in Dublin and that's it for the entire island) which I've been to once; it was very nice but it was pretty expensive.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Five Guys is good for chain-burgers but there's no way it is the best loving burger in any city, let alone NYC.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

notthegoatseguy posted:

Five Guys is good for chain-burgers but there's no way it is the best loving burger in any city, let alone NYC.

Peter has also said that New York pizza is the best anywhere and it's because of the water. He's not a food expert.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Best chain burger I've had is Smash Burger. Fight me.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

prefect posted:

Peter has also said that New York pizza is the best anywhere and it's because of the water. He's not a food expert.

That's a commonly held belief.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Y'all americans fight about regional burger chains like anyone's gonna travel around the country trying them all to check.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mover posted:

Does anyone know if any of Thor's children have ever shown up in main line/616 continuity? In the old myths he had two sons, Magni and Modi, and a daughter, Thrud.

He had them with Sif which might complicate things but I'm curious if any writer has pitched Thor as the center of his family, especially considering how much Marvel likes to push the brotherly drama with him, Loki, Odin.

There was a brief run before Disassembled where Thor became king of Asgard and his son showed up.

Lurdiak posted:

Y'all americans fight about regional burger chains like anyone's gonna travel around the country trying them all to check.

There was some clown on VICE doing that a while back.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

This is nothing to do with chains. There are infinite non-chain burgers better than any chain burger in New York.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Rhyno posted:

There was a brief run before Disassembled where Thor became king of Asgard and his son showed up.

And he had red hair! The way Thor "should" have.

I liked that whole Jurgens era of Thor. I knew the future storyline had to be overturned at some point obviously but it was great while it lasted.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I just did a quick search, it looks like they did have a 616 Magni and Modi but they were from before a previous Ragnarok. So they're 616 Thor's sons, but also not. They were in 2 issues in 1980 then never again.

There was an Ultimate Modi, and a 3515 Magni. The latter is the one you're talking about, I think. That future was prevented or something.

Thor has 2 daughters in different alternate universes named Thena and Torunn. The former from a What if and the latter from that Next Avengers movie, which became an official alternate universe at some point.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Aphrodite posted:

This is nothing to do with chains. There are infinite non-chain burgers better than any chain burger in New York.

I mean, hey, if anyone knows a better burger place in or around Montreal, let me know and I'll try it, but I've tried a bunch and Five Guys was the best one by a mile so far.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Here in Montreal they actually might be.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

We do Poutine and Smoked Meat Sandwiches, not burgers.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lobok posted:

I liked that whole Jurgens era of Thor. I knew the future storyline had to be overturned at some point obviously but it was great while it lasted.

I liked Jurgens Thor on the whole (I enjoyed a lot of the JRJR artwork, particularly in the story arc where he fights Thanos and Mangog) but the Jake Olson stuff is a real mess.

Here's what I remember:

Near the start of the run, Thor is forced to once more assume a mortal guise and occupies the body of a paramedic called Jake Olson to save his life after he's fatally injured in a battle between Thor and the Destroyer. Jake has a partner called Demetrius, who we occasionally see nicking drugs from the hospital where they work, fencing them on the street, and scheming to pin it on Jake (literally, there's one panel where he's pretending to be happy that Jake's still alive, then his thought bubble in the next one is, "drat, there goes my plan to pin this on Olson!").

This subplot goes away for a few issues while Thor is having an adventure on Asgard, but it comes to a head right at the end of that story, where the stolen drugs are traced to Jake's apartment and he's arrested, and it looks like Demetrius has gotten away with it.

Then comes the very next issue, where Jake is being interviewed by the cops and Demetrius comes in and says, "I'm a detective and I've been working undercover, and I knew you were stealing and selling the drugs all along, Jake!" and it turns out that Jake actually was a bad guy before Thor inhabited his body.

I think this would have been a genuinely clever twist, but it's completely wrecked because Jurgens seemed to have just flat out forgotten that he'd set it up as Jake being framed.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
And then he had Loki get trapped in an identical body and passed it off as Jake's twin brother who ended up taking the fall.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Did Bendis write that Spidey/Hawkguy Five Guys scene? Because early in his Dark Avengers run (the first one, during "Dark Reign"), Norman Osborn calmed Sentry down by promising him Five Guys, saying he would feel like he died and went to heaven, and then had Victoria Hand place a huge Five Guys order for the whole team.

At least it feels more normal than everyone on DCTV constantly plugging Big Belly Burger.

And as for burger chains, I'd rank them:

Bobby's Burger Palace (owned by Bobby Flay) -->
In-N-Out (but we don't have them in FL and probably never will) -->
Fuddruckers (although the quality has suffered in recent years) -->
BurgerFi -->
Shake Shack -->
Smashburger -->
Red Robin -->
Five Guys (really overrated) -->
Burger 21.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Feb 25, 2017

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Five Guys got its reputation when it had a lot fewer locations and was probably much better.

Before 2003 they only had like 5 locations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Did Bendis write that Spidey/Hawkguy Five Guys scene? Because early in his Dark Avengers run (the first one, during "Dark Reign"), Norman Osborn calmed Sentry down by promising him Five Guys, saying he would feel like he died and went to heaven, and then had Victoria Hand place a huge Five Guys order for the whole team.

Looks like it's from PAD's All New X-Factor.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

Five Guys got its reputation when it had a lot fewer locations and was probably much better.

Before 2003 they only had like 5 locations.

It's pretty likely the quality varies from location to location, especially when you factor in things like different food regulations between Canada and the US.

But I mean even as a chain you can't really put Five Guys anywhere near Burger King or McDonald's or whatever.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

It's pretty likely the quality varies from location to location, especially when you factor in things like different food regulations between Canada and the US.

But I mean even as a chain you can't really put Five Guys anywhere near WHITE CASTLE

ftfy

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Wheat Loaf posted:

I liked Jurgens Thor on the whole (I enjoyed a lot of the JRJR artwork, particularly in the story arc where he fights Thanos and Mangog) but the Jake Olson stuff is a real mess.

I don't remember a whole lot of specifics but I do remember the other identity stuff was a bit of a shitshow, yeah. Especially since it was the first time I ever read a Thor ongoing and so I was looking for just pure Thor heroics and the subplot about his paramedic side felt like a distraction at best.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

And then he had Loki get trapped in an identical body and passed it off as Jake's twin brother who ended up taking the fall.

Haha, yeah, I remember that too. What a mess. :D

Lobok posted:

I don't remember a whole lot of specifics but I do remember the other identity stuff was a bit of a shitshow, yeah. Especially since it was the first time I ever read a Thor ongoing and so I was looking for just pure Thor heroics and the subplot about his paramedic side felt like a distraction at best.

Well, it was Heroes Return era, so they were trying to get characters back to their roots, and the mortal guise was a big part of early Thor.

(Though obviously Thor in the Silver Age only really gets good once Kirby starts getting to do Tales of Asgard.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Thor having a dumb problems with a human identity is a major part of his Marvel mythos.