Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Reminder that the cut off for membership in the "youth" or "young" wings of most conservative oriented political parties is typically around 35 (for the young PCs in Canada, prior to their dissolution) to 40 (in the case of the Republicans).

For comparison, the young NDP and young Liberals are both oriented around people 25 and under.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Well yeah.You can't have frosh who still live in their mom's basement elected to office. That'd just be embarrassing.

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast

Frosted Flake posted:

Trip Report: Food was okay, Preston Manning is boring.
So how complaisant has the conservative establishment gotten about open racism

Dish gurl

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Helsing posted:

Reminder that the cut off for membership in the "youth" or "young" wings of most conservative oriented political parties is typically around 35 (for the young PCs in Canada, prior to their dissolution) to 40 (in the case of the Republicans).

For comparison, the young NDP and young Liberals are both oriented around people 25 and under.

Holy poo poo, I still have time to be a young PC!

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

infernal machines posted:

Holy poo poo, I still have time to be a young PC!

Nope. The Young PC's were actually an independent force within the Progressive Conservatives. Their leadership were vocal proponents of uniting the PCs and the Alliance. After that merger happened the delegates at the founding convention of the new Conservative Party narrowly voted against maintaining a separate youth wing, which I've anecdotally heard was in part because Stephen Harper didn't want to have any independent bases of power or influence within the party.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Funkdreamer posted:

So how complaisant has the conservative establishment gotten about open racism

Dish gurl

Well, those stupid red hats were everywhere. I don't know if it means the same thing here, but visually it's a weird message to send.

There was a talk titled "Leading the Response to Islamist Extremism and its Ideology in Canada" so that should give you an idea.

Gorewar
Dec 24, 2004

Bang your head

Frosted Flake posted:

Well, those stupid red hats were everywhere. I don't know if it means the same thing here, but visually it's a weird message to send.

There was a talk titled "Leading the Response to Islamist Extremism and its Ideology in Canada" so that should give you an idea.

The fact that Canadian rednecks are so afraid of encroaching Islam is so weird, since all of the Muslims I have ever met are the least loving pushy people regarding religion. On the other hand, there were tons of people I knew who were Christian or Catholic when I was growing up in Northern Alberta who were anything but.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Why isn't there a campaign to vanquish Catholicism in Canada anyway

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Gorewar posted:

The fact that Canadian rednecks are so afraid of encroaching Islam

They're not specifically afraid of "Islam", they don't know poo poo about Islam. If it weren't Muslims, it would be Jews, or Sikhs, or Catholics. But they've spent the last 20 years hearing endlessly about "radical Islam" on the news and they have absolutely no context for it, having never actually spoken to a Muslim before, so they go all :derp:

If you spend 20 years explicitly mentioning an identifiable group in a negative context, some people are going to reflexively hate them without actually knowing anything about them.

namaste faggots posted:

Why isn't there a campaign to vanquish Catholicism in Canada anyway

In the country that has explicit constitutional protections for Catholic schools? Why indeed.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

They're not specifically afraid of "Islam", they don't know poo poo about Islam. If it weren't Muslims, it would be Jews, or Sikhs, or Catholics. But they've spent the last 20 years hearing endlessly about "radical Islam" on the news and they have absolutely no context for it, having never actually spoken to a Muslim before, so they go all :derp:

Exactly this. As far as I can tell for North American history, there has always been a threatening outsider other. Irish/Polish, Germans, Blacks, Japanese, Soviets, Chinese, Arabs. Probably missing a few.

Has there ever been a time when the establishment didn't point to a particular ethnic/culutral group as a threat?

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

The Butcher posted:

Exactly this. As far as I can tell for North American history, there has always been a threatening outsider other. Irish/Polish, Germans, Blacks, Japanese, Soviets, Chinese, Arabs. Probably missing a few.

How could you miss Nazis?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Postess with the Mostest posted:

How could you miss Nazis?

That's quite an equivalence you've got yourself there.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Our lizard brains quite enjoy having an other to fear. You would think that in a society as advanced as our own we could learn how to get a handle on our instinctual fears through some well-trained executive functioning, but lowest common denominator etc etc.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

That's quite an equivalence you've got yourself there.

Wasn't meant to be equivalent but another threatening outsider other.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
That would fall under "Germans" dude.

And I should have put "Soviets" as "Russians".

All were discriminated against in NA based on their heritage during the appropriate historical conflicts.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Wasn't meant to be equivalent but another threatening outsider other.

Uh huh. There's a bit of a difference there. Presumably you understand why mentioning Nazis in the same breath as "Irish/Polish, Germans, Blacks, Japanese, Soviets, Chinese, Arabs" might convey a different message by associating those groups.

My original point was that "Canadian rednecks" or whoever are terrified of Islam because we had a war to sell in 2003 and the brave Taliban warriors we supported in the 1980s had to be the evil Muslim extremists this time around. Of course we weren't covering all the Islamic sects that didn't go around oppressing the poo poo out of everyone, so now Islam is permanently linked to the worst aspects of its most regressive fundamentalist practitioners.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Feb 26, 2017

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

The Butcher posted:

That would fall under "Germans" dude.

Nono not the German Nazis, I mean the Nazis everyone was OK with punching a couple weeks ago.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Nono not the German Nazis, I mean the Nazis everyone was OK with punching a couple weeks ago.

So you're explicitly making a connection between identifiable religious/ethnic groups and a political ideology based on racial purity and genocide?

Why is that?

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

jesus christ

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
yeah when i think of marginalized groups that have been unjustly othered by north american society my mind immediately goes to NAZIS

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

So you're explicitly making a connection between identifiable religious/ethnic groups and a political ideology based on racial purity and genocide?

Why is that?

He said "threatening"?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

IMO the best was:
The Millennial Mindset​ A look into public opinion research on millenial views towards politics

Or

Youth Lunch: Stifling Dissent-Conservatism on Campus Being a conservative on campus has never been easy, but it's now becoming impossible. Hear from young leaders and their experiences in pushing back against the left on campus.

There were a few along that vein but those were the big ones. Also 2 more panels on :siren:ISLAMIC EXTREMISM:siren:. Worth noting, most of the youth speakers were from the Hillel crowd and their talks on censorship often included asides about how liberal censorship on campus was just like how anti-Semitic campuses are and how proud Jews can't support Israel without being protested.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

He said "threatening"?

And again, I'm wondering what the commonality is here.

There's a perceived threat from religious/ethnic groups, sometimes driven by sensationalized reporting on their most extreme members. And then there's Nazis.

Are you suggesting that Nazis are not actually a threat to western society? Or maybe that there are more moderate white nationalists being unfairly tarred with the term Nazi?

I'm not the quickest when it comes to these nth degree association games, so if you can spell it out for me it would help.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
More support for people working multiple part time jobs? Sign me up

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

"Provide info to students that discipline is required in the workforce" haha

Just share that post-it on social media, bam, done!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Did someone say...?

Ah, who are we kidding. Conservatives would only accept Wheeler and Linka.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I want to know what the supposed Personal Attack was

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Eej posted:

More support for people working multiple part time jobs? Sign me up

How do we explain that your inability to support yourself due to the implementation of our economic and labour policies over the past 30 years is in fact your own fault?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

If you're not opposed to taking their money, it can't be that hard to talk your way into working as a Millennial Advisor for the Tories these days.

That or blow wrangler for Patty B on the provincial level.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Sep 9, 2022

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast
Does "issues of heart" mean abortion

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Funkdreamer posted:

Israel

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Funkdreamer posted:

It means none of their positions make any rational sense and so the best way to win people over is to abandon arguing otherwise and make nothing but direct appeals to emotion to sell themselves

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Tighclops posted:

It means none of their positions make any rational sense and so the best way to win people over is to abandon arguing otherwise and make nothing but direct appeals to emotion to sell themselves

Logic and facts disprove their motive/idea, so instead it becomes a matter of feeling that its right.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

And again, I'm wondering what the commonality is here.

There's a perceived threat from religious/ethnic groups, sometimes driven by sensationalized reporting on their most extreme members. And then there's Nazis.

Are you suggesting that Nazis are not actually a threat to western society? Or maybe that there are more moderate white nationalists being unfairly tarred with the term Nazi?

I'm not the quickest when it comes to these nth degree association games, so if you can spell it out for me it would help.

If we accept that Justin Trudeau is a white supremacist, you wouldn't split hairs with someone calling him a nazi right?

My original comment was a regrettably obtuse dig that people on the left also falsely stereotype. We all do, lizard brains, etc.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

If we accept that Justin Trudeau is a white supremacist, you wouldn't split hairs with someone calling him a nazi right?

My original comment was a regrettably obtuse dig that people on the left also falsely stereotype. We all do, lizard brains, etc.

Yeah how dare the left stereotype that guy who was filmed saying Nazi slogans to a crowd while that crowd gave him the Nazi salute as a Nazi.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

You make the most graceful rhetorical leaps, it's beautiful to watch.

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast
I finished watching the 1984 Canadian election debate >>>NERD ALERT<<< and good lord, John Turner is just the worst speaker ever. Broadbent and Mulroney crushed him for two hours straight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ydv3f4Qfd0E

The Broadbent/Mulroney segment (it was actually 3 one-on-one debates) was the most interesting part, because you get to see how the left was defending itself against the oncoming Reagan freight train, and also because you don't have to continuously pause/unpause through Turner's cringey defences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Charlie Angus has thrown his hat in for NDP leader now. Is he popular out east?