Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Peanut Butler posted:

last crosspost of this unless there's a Kansas shooting thread I missed-

after a bar argument culminated in a man yelling "get out of my country" to some Indian Garmin engineers, killing one, wounding another, and also wounding a white dude who tried to stop him, there's been local tut-tutting from the KSGOP that it's a sad scene but they just can't fathom what made the guy do that.

but whoops oops someone found this little bit of right wing media that the KSGOP sent out en masse last fall

Yeah, I listened to that story on NPR the other day. Gosh, we're just not sure if we can charge the guy with a hate crime, because how can you know that there was hate in his heart? How could we possibly interpret "get out of my country?" Guess we'll never know what mysterious motivations this guy may have had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Easy Salmon Recipe
Jan 10, 2017

DrNutt posted:

Yeah, I listened to that story on NPR the other day. Gosh, we're just not sure if we can charge the guy with a hate crime, because how can you know that there was hate in his heart? How could we possibly interpret "get out of my country?" Guess we'll never know what mysterious motivations this guy may have had.

Why did this gentle loner do a no-no? We have no way of truly understanding his motivations... :ohdear:

Oh well. DAE think resisting arrest and disobeying officers should be a hate crime? If you disobey Are Polees, it can only be because you hate them.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

I'm sure economic anxiety and frustration with Washington were factors that sent him over the edge.

Easy Salmon Recipe
Jan 10, 2017

beatlegs posted:

I'm sure economic anxiety and frustration with Washington were factors that sent him over the edge.

Clearly this was caused by Hillary Clinton's email server. Tell Chaffetz to stop gnawing the drywall and get back to investigating things.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Does this make Trump God or St. Peter if we follow this analogy full of Proper Nouns all the way through?

https://twitter.com/CPAC/status/835498809346174977

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Easy Salmon Recipe posted:

Why did this gentle loner do a no-no? We have no way of truly understanding his motivations... :ohdear:

Oh well. DAE think resisting arrest and disobeying officers should be a hate crime? If you disobey Are Polees, it can only be because you hate them.

*Black man shoots an off-duty, non uniformed cop who didn't identify himself*

*Is tried for murdering a police officer and all the higher punishments entails*

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Leofish posted:

Does this make Trump God or St. Peter if we follow this analogy full of Proper Nouns all the way through?

https://twitter.com/flarkle/status/835540992077901824

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
"If the Statue of Liberty can accept your tired, your poor, your hungry, yearning to be free, why can't Americ- wait..." :newlol:

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Leofish posted:

lol, quite literal blasphemy here.

Not sure whether all the idiots laying hands on the actual golden bull idol on Wall Street is worse.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
If Heaven can not exist, why can't America?

BOOSH!

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

I want my leader to transform into a female horse, get horse preggo, and then give birth to a more than 4 legged super fast horse.

Donnie let Putin's horse mount you.

Easy Salmon Recipe
Jan 10, 2017

PhazonLink posted:

I want my leader to transform into a female horse, get horse preggo, and then give birth to a more than 4 legged super fast horse.

Donnie let Putin's horse mount you.

Donald has more than likely taken members of his staff to a donkey show. Does that count?

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Also the drugs make Midwest meth labs look like kids playing with baking soda volcanos.

How long do you think we have until krokodil starts to catch on?

Leofish posted:

Oh! Oh! Lemme guess? "Because man attempting to be on the same level of quality as God's domain is folly?"
Or is that too theologically sound?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

InequalityGodzilla posted:

How long do you think we have until krokodil starts to catch on?

We don't see the right drugs otc and because of the meth process, the other materials are harder and harder to get.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

If Kronos can eat his children, why can't I?

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Leofish posted:

Mathew 21:31-46 posted:

"But when the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then he will sit on the throne of his glory. Before him all the nations will be gathered, and he will separate them one from another, as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. He will set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left. Then the King will tell those on his right hand, ‘Come, blessed of my Father, inherit the Kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world; for I was hungry, and you gave me food to eat. I was thirsty, and you gave me drink. I was a stranger, and you took me in. I was naked, and you clothed me. I was sick, and you visited me. I was in prison, and you came to me.’

“Then the righteous will answer him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry, and feed you; or thirsty, and give you a drink? When did we see you as a stranger, and take you in; or naked, and clothe you? When did we see you sick, or in prison, and come to you?’

“The King will answer them, ‘Most certainly I tell you, because you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.' Then he will say also to those on the left hand, ‘Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire which is prepared for the devil and his angels; for I was hungry, and you didn’t give me food to eat; I was thirsty, and you gave me no drink; I was a stranger, and you didn’t take me in; naked, and you didn’t clothe me; sick, and in prison, and you didn’t visit me.’

“Then they will also answer, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry, or thirsty, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and didn’t help you?’

“Then he will answer them, saying, ‘Most certainly I tell you, because you didn’t do it to one of the least of these, you didn’t do it to me.' These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.”

Easy Salmon Recipe
Jan 10, 2017

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

If Kronos can eat his children, why can't I?

You can eat millions of children, really. You just have to work at getting them for a few minutes.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shbobdb posted:

We don't see the right drugs otc and because of the meth process, the other materials are harder and harder to get.

Don't doubt American ingenuity. We'll make up for it with caffeine and saturated fats. :911:

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Easy Salmon Recipe posted:

You can eat millions of children, really. You just have to work at getting them for a few minutes.

They're unborn, so we can't do that. Better to wait until they're in preschool, because the government doesn't give a poo poo about them then.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Leofish posted:

What's that old saying about God being the only one to judge?

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

I thought you just had to accept Jesus in order to get into heaven right? You don't have to be saint. That doesn't sound like extreme vetting to me.

GyroNinja
Nov 7, 2012

Kenzie posted:

I thought you just had to accept Jesus in order to get into heaven right? You don't have to be saint. That doesn't sound like extreme vetting to me.

It really depends on where in the bible you're looking, honestly.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

GyroNinja posted:

It really depends on where in the bible you're looking, honestly.

For beta bucks like these Protestant cucks, you know the answer.

The real answer is that, if we want to entertain Christianity as a serious religion we need to look beyond its mere scriptures. However, when we do that things tend to get worse before they get better

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Kenzie posted:

was gonna post this

lol, the CPAC Christians are fuckin' Puritans.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Kenzie posted:

Watch the American Right switch over to a works-based philosophy of salvation, after a demented game of vigilante executions punctuated with accepting Jesus after each murder catches on nationwide. Conservative cops paralyzed by fear of sending a mass murderer to heaven.

Just kidding, they'd probably see that as a great way to solve the [lefty / Muslim / black / etc] question.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Some one post the Chick tract where a good person gets sent to hell for a plank second of doubt and a bad person gets sent to heaven for his death bed "I'm so sawrryyyy, help Jeezus" prayer.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
So,how much are they pushing the narrative to keep dems infighting and losing?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
If Heaven has an all-powerful ruler everyone must bow down and worship daily, why can't America?

e:

PhazonLink posted:

Some one post the Chick tract where a good person gets sent to hell for a plank second of doubt and a bad person gets sent to heaven for his death bed "I'm so sawrryyyy, help Jeezus" prayer.

That's like at least half of all Chick tracts. The absolute worst one is Flight 144, in which a missionary couple is sent to Hell because they had the audacity to help third world citizens by building hospitals and schools, but didn't preach to them. Apparently somehow this missionary couple, who did believe in God, never prayed the magic words to get saved.

I mean it's unbelievable. The couple even explicitly talks about how God helped them, and that God called them to help these people, but somehow they didn't actually do the "Forgive me Jesus" prayer. The tract would have made infinitely more sense if they were atheist humanitarians, but nope.

Twelve by Pies fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Feb 26, 2017

Throwing Turtles
May 3, 2015

Kenzie posted:

Yeah, from my understanding it doesn't matter what denomination of Christianity you are talking about, it all boils down to John 3:16. Which would probably be the best troll response to that.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

DC Murderverse posted:

What's that old saying about God being the only one to judge?

They're equating God to the State. :ussr:

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Leofish posted:

Kenzie posted:

Good response to this: http://www.patheos.com/blogs/lovejoyfeminism/2017/02/32234.html

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
crossposting from Trump admin thread, it's the Sunday RWM Roundup! I decided to put my editorializing later (note that nothing in the bulleted list reflects my own views)

• We're all suddenly very concerned and worried that the DNC election was rigged and the poor liberals didn't get who they really wanted! Even Bernie Sanders is unhappy about it! 1.
  • Oscars are terrible! Hollywood is terrible! How dare any of them have opinions! 2.
  • Trump is more popular than ever because the left won't stop attacking them. Ha-ha! They'll be undone by their own attempts to destroy them!
  • Bannon's speech at CPAC was excellent and his agenda is just what we've been needing! The laws being made these days are all made by the bureaucracy because Congress is weak and gave up too much power to the FDA, OSHA, FCC, and EPA 3. Once Trump and Bannon destroy federal agencies then they will return lawmaking power to congress 4.
  • Letting trans people use whatever bathroom they want will cause men to walk in and rape girls. Also aren't you feminists into the whole "the penis is evil" thing?
  • Trump's comments on Sweden were just a joke and Fox's report on Sweden that came out after was sensationalistic. But it's worse than liberals are saying too. 5.

1. What's hilarious is that in pretty much every other article on the news outlets I look at, they can't help slinging ad homs at liberals and saying they're hell-bent on destroying the USA because they hate the constitution, so it's been jarring in a lot of these articles to suddenly see them try to paint the more progressive elements of the left in a sympathetic light (with the aim of smearing the DNC.) What's sad is that it will probably work, I'm sure I'll hear my conservative acquaintances bring this up just like how one of them DROVE ME INTO A loving RAGE when he said Trump respected sexual assault survivors when he said survivors "have a right to be heard" at the debate (of course in an attempt to turn the debate into a circus by bringing Bill Clinton's victims.) These people can be such gullible assholish morons sometimes.

2. unless their opinions agree with ours in which case we elevate them to sainthood

3. OSHA? :stonk: Conservatives hate OSHA?! PS if you think we don't need OSHA pls read this: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3763899

4. lol as if they would cede any power from the executive

5. the "he was just joking!" defense again! But otherwise not a completely insane take. Huh. (From http://www.nationalreview.com/article/445237/sweden-crime-rates-statistics-immigration-trump-fox-news )

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Chilichimp posted:

was gonna post this

lol, the CPAC Christians are fuckin' Puritans.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Twelve by Pies posted:

That's like at least half of all Chick tracts. The absolute worst one is Flight 144, in which a missionary couple is sent to Hell because they had the audacity to help third world citizens by building hospitals and schools, but didn't preach to them. Apparently somehow this missionary couple, who did believe in God, never prayed the magic words to get saved.

I mean it's unbelievable. The couple even explicitly talks about how God helped them, and that God called them to help these people, but somehow they didn't actually do the "Forgive me Jesus" prayer. The tract would have made infinitely more sense if they were atheist humanitarians, but nope.

In a sense, I think Chick's message of ultimate salvation in the face of horrible, horrible crimes is supposed to be a beautiful thing that shows how powerful Jesus' forgiveness is, if you open your heart and soul to Him, but it comes across so tone-deaf sometimes. People like Chick and other hardline protestant evangelicals are so concerned for the destination of your immortal soul that they feel any kind of horribleness on Earth is just a temporary thing that you'll eventually overcome. What is a lifetime of emotional and mental pain versus an eternity in Hell?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Leofish posted:

In a sense, I think Chick's message of ultimate salvation in the face of horrible, horrible crimes is supposed to be a beautiful thing that shows how powerful Jesus' forgiveness is, if you open your heart and soul to Him, but it comes across so tone-deaf sometimes. People like Chick and other hardline protestant evangelicals are so concerned for the destination of your immortal soul that they feel any kind of horribleness on Earth is just a temporary thing that you'll eventually overcome. What is a lifetime of emotional and mental pain versus an eternity in Hell?

No, American evangelicals are really just insane people with insane beliefs. You see it if you read a lot of Chick's things. Yes they do believe that if you ask for forgiveness and say the right words then you get forgiven and go to Heaven and everything is good and cool. However, they also believe that literally everything that disagrees with them in any way is a tool of the devil trying to lead you astray. While they do believe that they also believe that there are certain things you can do or say that taint you so badly forever that God won't let you in no matter what. Chick Tracts aren't even all that consistent; in the airplane one you really see this. Read more deeply and you'll see that the core message is "you must agree with the flavor of evangelical Christianity that I do 100% or you go to hell. 99.99% isn't enough. If you played D&D once or thought about about rock and roll ever you go to Hell." It's about using fear to control others wrapped in a shroud of "I just want people to go to Heaven! Is that too much to ask?" The eternal forgiveness and Jesus cares about you part is a sparkly, friendly wrapper around advocacy for brutal theocratic government.

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

No, American evangelicals are really just insane people with insane beliefs. You see it if you read a lot of Chick's things. Yes they do believe that if you ask for forgiveness and say the right words then you get forgiven and go to Heaven and everything is good and cool. However, they also believe that literally everything that disagrees with them in any way is a tool of the devil trying to lead you astray. While they do believe that they also believe that there are certain things you can do or say that taint you so badly forever that God won't let you in no matter what. Chick Tracts aren't even all that consistent; in the airplane one you really see this. Read more deeply and you'll see that the core message is "you must agree with the flavor of evangelical Christianity that I do 100% or you go to hell. 99.99% isn't enough. If you played D&D once or thought about about rock and roll ever you go to Hell." It's about using fear to control others wrapped in a shroud of "I just want people to go to Heaven! Is that too much to ask?" The eternal forgiveness and Jesus cares about you part is a sparkly, friendly wrapper around advocacy for brutal theocratic government.

It should probably also be noted that this brand of Evangelical crazy is being exported as fast as possible to developing nations.

The kind of churches that require needy people to be sermonized before receiving aid. That uses more money on bibles and missionary trips than actually providing medicine, food, and water. And it's growing their numbers rapidly.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
^

They also been heavily investing in Africa and other places to make sure the anti LGBT laws are already set. Putting the anti-Gay wagon before the horse.

Though now that Donnie won and Pence is in, thy might try moving money back here.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Leofish posted:

With hardline Protestants and Chick in particular, its is a direct attack on Catholicism. Via the concept of Purgatory, Catholicism states that any good person goes to Heaven eventually, but they spend time purifying their soul and repenting of their sins before they do so. Catholicism is essentially the best and easiest way to live a moral life and get to heaven, according to itself at least. These tracts are warning against such thinking, as to hardline Protestants "Salvation Through Grace Alone" is a big loving deal, because Jesus said "The only way to the Father is through Me" and their literal interpretations have to accept that at face value, or the house of cards starts collapsing.

Chick especially saw the Catholic Church as a direct threat, and even the plane tract where the couple is some nondescript Protestant sect, is essentially an anti-Catholic story.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

WoodrowSkillson posted:

With hardline Protestants and Chick in particular, its is a direct attack on Catholicism. Via the concept of Purgatory, Catholicism states that any good person goes to Heaven eventually, but they spend time purifying their soul and repenting of their sins before they do so. Catholicism is essentially the best and easiest way to live a moral life and get to heaven, according to itself at least. These tracts are warning against such thinking, as to hardline Protestants "Salvation Through Grace Alone" is a big loving deal, because Jesus said "The only way to the Father is through Me" and their literal interpretations have to accept that at face value, or the house of cards starts collapsing.

Chick especially saw the Catholic Church as a direct threat, and even the plane tract where the couple is some nondescript Protestant sect, is essentially an anti-Catholic story.

Incidentally this is also why there are so drat many Protestant sects floating around among evangelicalism. You must get things 100% totally and completely right or you have fallen under the influence of Satan. Catholicism and non-evangelical Christianity have a far more lax view. There it's "get the biggest bits right and try to get everything else right. Apologize when you gently caress up, don't be a jerk, and you and God are cool." You're totally allowed to get things wrong and there is an understanding that you will. To an authoritarian that is far, far too permissive, which is why the religious right has fallen in so hard with the authoritarian right in America. They justify "we must force this on as many people as possible" with "because we're saving their souls and any price is worth it to avoid eternal damnation. It's eternal." So they argue incessantly over weirdly specific interpretations to try to suss out the meaning. Meanwhile this group thinks it means X while another thinks it means Y. Because eternal damnation is on the line neither side budgets, they both scream "HERETICS!!!!" at each other, and the congregation, denomination, or church splits. It's so bad that there are literally tiny congregations of a few dozen people that believe absolutely everybody else is going to Hell while they, and only they, believe what is True and Right.

They band together politically and tend to distribute the same bullshit literature (for example, Chick Tracts) while also being unbelievably fractured.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Easy Salmon Recipe
Jan 10, 2017

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Incidentally this is also why there are so drat many Protestant sects floating around among evangelicalism. You must get things 100% totally and completely right or you have fallen under the influence of Satan. Catholicism and non-evangelical Christianity have a far more lax view. There it's "get the biggest bits right and try to get everything else right. Apologize when you gently caress up, don't be a jerk, and you and God are cool." You're totally allowed to get things wrong and there is an understanding that you will. To an authoritarian that is far, far too permissive, which is why the religious right has fallen in so hard with the authoritarian right in America. They justify "we must force this on as many people as possible" with "because we're saving their souls and any price is worth it to avoid eternal damnation. It's eternal." So they argue incessantly over weirdly specific interpretations to try to suss out the meaning. Meanwhile this group thinks it means X while another thinks it means Y. Because eternal damnation is on the line neither side budgets, they both scream "HERETICS!!!!" at each other, and the congregation, denomination, or church splits. It's so bad that there are literally tiny congregations of a few dozen people that believe absolutely everybody else is going to Hell while they, and only they, believe what is True and Right.

They band together politically and tend to distribute the same bullshit literature (for example, Chick Tracts) while also being unbelievably fractured.

That was what turned me off of Christianity as a kid, initially. I grew up in a family where the religious people believe that, basically, the only their church, and a couple of other little rural churches around the continental US are "correct" enough to get to heaven, and everyone else is sinful. Even as a kid, the idea that all but about 100 people on the planet currently were going to burn in eternal hellfire for poo poo like cutting their hair if women, or not wearing long sleeves if men, horrified me.

Well, that, and they're the "no TV, no movies, no non-christian movies" type of fundie.

If there is a God, and he is infinitely compassionate, then he didn't begrudge me my tape player and little plastic case full of Weird Al cassettes. :colbert:

Easy Salmon Recipe fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Feb 27, 2017