Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Drifter posted:

They changed Pathologically to something else, right? Like, recently?

They said pathological twice and changed one because quality writing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Drifter posted:

They changed Pathologically to something else, right? Like, recently?

Yeah literally this week because apparently the writers don't know what the connotation of words is.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

After the last video, I feel Lenny Kravitz has really earned a place in the squad. Slightly posh Brit and a Krogan just seem like an awesome crew to roll with. An odd couple, if you will.

Sadly, this repeats the Garrus/Javik hegemony from ME3. There's only ever two really awesome choices, then some other assholes who take up air on the ship. We should really be able to space them.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It's always weird when gamers post bad ad copy as if bad ad copy is not a thing that has existed for like 1000 years.

Somewhere I'm sure there's a website that aggregates all the hilarious things that record labels have said about their bands over the years. That stuff alone is so much worse than anything Bioware has written.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

precision posted:

It's always weird when gamers post bad ad copy as if bad ad copy is not a thing that has existed for like 1000 years.

Somewhere I'm sure there's a website that aggregates all the hilarious things that record labels have said about their bands over the years. That stuff alone is so much worse than anything Bioware has written.

That's not ad copy that's literally the description of the character used in the game and on their own website.

But by all means keep defending their poo poo writing.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Groetgaffel posted:

I knew Gav had done an Inquisition song, as he has for many games I enjoy, but I did not know that this one was one of the marketing deals.

E: In any case Gavin 'MiracleofSound' Dunne, is a cool guy that makes good stuff.

Agreed. He was the guy who made that silly song about Shepard, right?

Veotax
May 16, 2006

EDIT: Never mind, I'm an idiot who can't read.

Veotax fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Feb 25, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

That's not ad copy that's literally the description of the character used in the game and on their own website.

But by all means keep defending their poo poo writing.

There's no need to poo poo up every thread, every time. It's clear I wasn't defending the writing, because I went out of my way to call it "bad ad copy". I didn't know it was in the game, though it being in the game doesn't really mean it wasn't written as ad copy anyway. I took it from context that you were posting ad copy, because the discussion was about pre-release hype about squadmates.

But by all means keep replying and trying to start a dumb internet fight because you've had a bad day or whatever.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

JBP posted:

They said pathological twice and changed one because quality writing.

Well, to be fair, and I'm not saying Bioware is any good, but I've written (not my posts though, those are consistently bad) and edited other people's weird poo poo on a first pass. It happens.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I'm impressed anyone at all is thinking of anything marketing related as anything other than any old vaguely legally compliant bullshit fabricated to shift units.

Talking about the writing quality of ads :allears:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

How is their website not an ad?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

DancingShade posted:

I'm impressed anyone at all is thinking of anything marketing related as anything other than any old vaguely legally compliant bullshit fabricated to shift units.

That's my point. When I used to work at radio stations (which are a thing that used to exist) nobody read a particularly egregious press kit and then went around showing the other DJs and saying "Heh, I bet this album will be poo poo, right?" I've never seen anyone, other than in Games and other gaming boards, presume to make any judgement at all on a product's quality based on its advertising.

And hey, it's not just bad ads that are deceptive. "This is the new poo poo" was really bad, but the game ended up being good. However, Fable 3 had that television spot that used The Black Angels' "Young Men Dead" which made it seem like probably the most badass game ever and we all know how that turned out.

Keshik
Oct 27, 2000

I don't want to get excited about this game because the same dickhead responsible for that weeaboo poo poo in ME3 is in charge of this, so I've been avoiding hype.

Has that guy ever like, apologized to people publicly for that loving idiotic villain with plot armor?

Or for the ending of ME3? Is there any awareness there?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

He has responded to tweets about cerberus and the ending with "oh God no we won't be doing that again"

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

marshmallow creep posted:

He has responded to tweets about cerberus and the ending with "oh God no we won't be doing that again"

Didn't someone ask on twitter if the people in Andromeda had to deal with synthetic uprisings and got a flat no?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

SgtSteel91 posted:

Didn't someone ask on twitter if the people in Andromeda had to deal with synthetic uprisings and got a flat no?

No robot male character confirmed.

ALthough that's one robot uprising I'd be down for ifyouknowwhamean :heysexy: :awesome:

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

precision posted:

And hey, it's not just bad ads that are deceptive. "This is the new poo poo" was really bad, but the game ended up being good. However, Fable 3 had that television spot that used The Black Angels' "Young Men Dead" which made it seem like probably the most badass game ever and we all know how that turned out.

Remember the Dead Island, trailer?

Remember the game?

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

marshmallow creep posted:

Apparently Remnant Tech opens doors to the rift.

Welcome to the Fade, brother! :unsmigghh:

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

Hamburger Test posted:

Remember the Dead Island, trailer?

Remember the game?

Now that was a hell of a deceptive trailer.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

FronzelNeekburm posted:

Welcome to the Fade, brother! :unsmigghh:

Your AI implant is going to help you close these mysterious artefact 'rifts'.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

SgtSteel91 posted:

It was specifically that the Reapers were only a Milky Way thing and weren't in Andromeda.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I like this:

quote:

How do all the different abilities play into the profile system?

It's kind of a complicated answer. At the beginning of the game you don't have any sense of class, but if you do choose to do character gen, you choose one of six backgrounds, or trainings, when the game starts. Now what that will do, is take certain abilities that are kind of higher level or specialized abilities, like charge or cloak that pretty significantly impact your gameplay. Normally we require you to invest several points in that tree before you can do it. If you want biotic charge, you have to have invested 9 points into something else on the biotic tree before you can get charge. But if you chose that background—there one where you are the guy that charges—then you have that available from the outset and you can immediately start spending points in it. So if you try the different backgrounds you'll see different things locked and unlocked in the trees.

You're drat right my character's background is gonna be "guy who charges."

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Codependent Poster posted:

I like this:

:yeah:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

I like this:

:same:

thats my spirit name guy-who-charges

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I think they said in an earlier interview that the name for the guy-who-charges background is Scrapper. Which just reminds me of City of Heroes.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Bud K ninja sword posted:

:same:

thats my spirit name guy-who-charges

I like this:

Just make sure someone doesn't take away your credit card!

:dadjoke:

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

My secret wish is that the fuckbay would cease to exist so I wouldn't have to be embarrassed about being lumped in with people who legitimately look forward to bad CGI sex scenes with alien genitals.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

a primate posted:

My secret wish is that the fuckbay would cease to exist so I wouldn't have to be embarrassed about being lumped in with people who legitimately look forward to bad CGI sex scenes with alien genitals.

:getin:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
It seems super easy to do halfway decent video game marketing but I'm starting to get the feeling it doesn't matter how good it bad it is like clearly DAO had the stupidest marketing campaign and still sold well.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Eej posted:

It seems super easy to do halfway decent video game marketing but I'm starting to get the feeling it doesn't matter how good it bad it is like clearly DAO had the stupidest marketing campaign and still sold well.

doom had the most self sabotaging marketing ever and it was cool AND good.

rip and tear. :black101:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

precision posted:

presume to make any judgement at all on a product's quality based on its advertising.

They're also going by the company's previous work, HTH.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

a primate posted:

fuckbae?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

poptart_fairy posted:

They're also going by the company's previous work, HTH.

If you think all, or even a preponderance, of Bioware games are bad, then why waste time in this thread.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Baron Corbyn posted:

I want to change my character's face, but I think Dad Ryder is one of the cooler looking characters in the game.

I hope gibbed gets his hands on this game and figures out a way to replace the default Ryder face with Dad Ryder.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

precision posted:

If you think all, or even a preponderance, of Bioware games are bad, then why waste time in this thread.

Why did Rocky keep getting up each time he got knocked down in the ring?

He took a whiskey drink, he took a vodka drink, he sang a song that reminds him of...

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Yo, wasn't there a place you could get the deluxe PC edition for the price of the reggy edition?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

Yo, wasn't there a place you could get the deluxe PC edition for the price of the reggy edition?

I think Origin accidentally had a sale a while back. They don't anymore.

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
What even is the difference between standard and deluxe versions for PC?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

the good fax machine posted:

What even is the difference between standard and deluxe versions for PC?

A few skins, a few bits of gear, soundtrack, pet pyjak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I thing Greenmangaming is cheaper than buying from origin directly.