Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

loquacius posted:

The only thing resembling a "bone" the Democratic Party has thrown its left wing in decades was creating a leadership position for Bernie that basically translates to "popular guy who gets us free PR by campaigning all the time and is not actually heeded w/r/t strategy or policy in any substantial way"

This would have been a super easy one for them to do but they just... couldn't... manage it

telling people to kill they are self is a loving ban in loving GBS, how does a guy get away with doing it in custom titles in a politics subforum :psyduck:

Being deranged and crazy is what got that place made in the first place, so it seems par for the course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

effectronica, the whitest motherfucker ever, keeps buying those for people

I'm cautiously optimistic about his positions, and I'm not sure the Clinton-Obama camp is willing to sew more bad will into the party at this point. I just hope he doesn't get shouted down from promoting progressives by shitheads like Feinstein and Manchin

tbf Manchin does not really occupy a position of strength in the democratic party. Byrd he is not.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Yinlock posted:

he assigned ellison as deputy chair so who cares

And it's not like Perez ran away with it on the first round of voting.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Gringostar posted:

so the person that takes david brocks money and is enforced by centrist corporate dems won and the person that takes david brocks money and is enforced by centrist corporate dems won vice chair
can you smeeeeeeeell

what brock is cookin

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Former Everything posted:

Yeah, this was definitely a personal slight by some dems against other dems and that isn't a whacked out thought process at all no sirreee

Also, everything that happens in life not to my demanding specifications is a personal insult to me

Have you gotten involved with your state parties at all recently?

Like half the stuff they are up to is literal explicit slights against the left, who they see as the biggest threat in the current political environment and really want to go away

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Yinlock posted:

he assigned ellison as deputy chair so who cares

was deputy chair a thing before or was it another made-up thing to make people stop asking them for stuff like Bernie's "leadership" position

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
I don't want to mitigate the call for running for local offices, but it's clear the left needs national ambitions and move towards getting at least some non-Dem congressional representatives in 2018. We won't get anywhere if we can't successfully beat the Democrats.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

paranoid randroid posted:

part of the problem people have is interpreting literally everything as a personal slight

Look at the statements that came from Howard Dean, Barney Frank, DWS, etc. during the primary and tell me it wasn't very personal for them to stop any support for Sanders or any possible imprint he could have on the party.

I'm not even pinning that on Clinton herself, I think she was semi-sympathetic but ultimately cowardly and lacking cognition of the real troubles of American life, but no, the establishment outright has an agenda. I mean, look at the entire foundation of the super-delegates, which is to not allow total power to the constituency. That's the kind of respect the DNC has to their own.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

b u

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

t t

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

etalian posted:

Democrats:There was a guy that looked like Sheldon Cooper from big bang theory and his name was Pete Butt

Today we are all Pete Butt.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

GlyphGryph posted:

None of those people are at all involved in local politics and it shows

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

i

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

tadashi posted:

exactly

there's interest there and ellison being made deputy shows a genuine progressive desire, you just need to foster it instead of running away immediately

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
I really just want to emphasize this:

MizPiz posted:

We won't get anywhere if we can't successfully beat the Democrats.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

g i

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Lol dems haven't learned anything

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

e g

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

paranoid randroid posted:

well yeah man, youre not going to do much shaking as DNC chair

it would be his job to package and sell whatever candidates are presented to him, not select the candidates

ding ding ding

as a former florida progressive, it tore me up deep inside watching Ellison torpedo the progressive attempt to take over the Florida DNC, and watching idiots make excuses for that convinced me that the "Bernie wing" has forgotten actual progressivism and is just playing team sports now

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Acelerion posted:

Lol dems haven't learned anything

lolling at the optimists who thought a Trump defeat would cause them any serious reflection and change of strategy.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

MizPiz posted:

I really just want to emphasize this:

oh right im trying to reason with the dem thread

its me, im the dumbass

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Yinlock posted:

exactly

there's interest there and ellison being made deputy shows a genuine progressive desire, you just need to foster it instead of running away immediately
that's what the local mayoral and state senate elections promoting is for :tipshat:

there's hard resistance from the fiscal-conservative social-liberal-unless-when-it-hurts-our-hedge-funds collaborators though

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

buttigieg

breaklaw
May 12, 2008

Probably Magic posted:

Look at the statements that came from Howard Dean, Barney Frank, DWS, etc. during the primary and tell me it wasn't very personal for them to stop any support for Sanders or any possible imprint he could have on the party.

And that is his own fault. He still won't even become a memebr of the party.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

tadashi posted:

nah, him being elected by a narrow as gently caress margin and then immediately appointing the runner up vice chair means progressives will have zero loving voice in the party moving forward

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

I mean if getting god drat donald trump elected has not encourged a little introspection I don't know what to say to these people

Former Everything
Nov 28, 2007

Is this right?

GlyphGryph posted:

Like half the stuff they are up to is literal explicit slights against the left, who they see as the biggest threat in the current political environment and really want to go away

Not even Kentucky's dem party is acting like this and the false martyrdom by those who take literally everything as a personal sight to their ideology is tiresome

Even Kentucky's dem party recognizes that Donald trump and the suicide caucus as the biggest threat to progressive ideology

As is apparent from this thread, you can't say the same thing for the "leftists" in this thread who believe that Tom "friend of labor" Perez getting elected ducking DNC chair is the dem party establishment spitting in their face.

It's an unhealthy delusion.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Hey Keith Ellison is Vice Chairman, lets hold him accountable!

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

etalian posted:

Democrats:There was a guy that looked like Sheldon Cooper from big bang theory and his name was Pete Butt

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
https://mobile.twitter.com/AlGiordano/status/835619297095475200

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

breaklaw posted:

Is this a joke, I'm tired and jetlagged and I took a red-eye last night and it seems like it should be a joke but maybe it isn't

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

perez probably would have run away with it in the first round if he hadn't been telling folks he had it in the bag.

reminder that ellison's vote count literally didn't budge between rounds - everyone who was left over essentially went to perez. there's some solace to be found in the total number ellison was able to get, but you definitely had folks choosing to vote for someone else initially for likely political optics purposes.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
buttzinga

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

breaklaw posted:

A party so proud of its lovely brand that it refuses the followers of a candidate because he didn't put a D next to his name, which he didn't do to begin with because the Vermont DNC was running candidates to the right of him, hmmm.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Main Paineframe posted:

ding ding ding

as a former florida progressive, it tore me up deep inside watching Ellison torpedo the progressive attempt to take over the Florida DNC, and watching idiots make excuses for that convinced me that the "Bernie wing" has forgotten actual progressivism and is just playing team sports now

seriously, it's real baffling watching 1 of 2 almost identical candidates win and having that be a disaster because the one who won wasn't endorsed by bernie sanders

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Main Paineframe posted:

ding ding ding

you're fine with perez you don't get a high horse lol

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Yinlock posted:

seriously, it's real baffling watching 1 of 2 almost identical candidates win and having that be a disaster because the one who won wasn't endorsed by bernie sanders

*dips fingers into basin of bernie cum*

*makes sign of cross*

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Main Paineframe posted:

The Sanders wing may be vocal, but it's not really "sizable". The Ellison vs Perez fight is usually portrayed as though the Dems were formerly a single entity that has been split in two, but that was never the case. The Dems are a big tent with dozens of factions, groups, movements, and wings of voters. The core Sanders base isn't the second-largest or even the third-largest faction under the Democratic umbrella, and they weren't even close to being the most important factor in the result of the 2016 elections. Each of the establishment candidates in the DNC race was chosen because the establishment thought they would appeal to demographics that the Dems have been losing lately.

Bernie's successes - and failures - were the result of his appeal (or lack thereof) to other Dem factions besides his core "progressive college kids" base. While Bernie's base obviously went for Bernie's choice for the race, that doesn't mean that every group that voted Bernie will support Keith or that every group which supported Clinton will support Perez. For example, we can probably expect Ellison to markedly improve on Bernie's weakness with racial minorities, but Perez is known for his appeal among the Midwestern factory workers Hillary had such trouble with.

Really, Perez would be a great chair, if not for the fact that he seems to be a poor campaigner who was slow to grasp that this is different from the usual DNC chair race, and has generally done poorly with cameras and even worse with surprises.

Ellison has caved to the establishment at least three times - he backed down on banning lobbyist donations, he changed course on Israel and BDS, and he endorsed an establishment donor in the Florida DNC chair campaign. And each and every time, the same people who argued that Perez is a corrupt shill for the establishment had plenty of excuses to make for Ellison. Funny how that Sanders endorsement functions as a perfect impenetrable barrier against the taint of the establishment.

:thinking face emoji:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

loquacius posted:

Is this a joke, I'm tired and jetlagged and I took a red-eye last night and it seems like it should be a joke but maybe it isn't
80s bernie: "hey can i be part of the democratic party"

80s democrat: "hrm no racism and corporatism is the future and we have to pivot towards that for the foreseeable future"

*80s bernie frowns, sighs, and leaves*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Yinlock posted:

oh right im trying to reason with the dem thread

its me, im the dumbass

You're a canadian

• Locked thread