Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

Drake_263 posted:

You need to scan the planet with a Detailed Surface Scanner in order to get the ring type and density, these days.

That's always been the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Mercurius posted:

I think if the system's in the bubble you can drop into the nav beacon and scan the physical beacon object to get a full download of the system anyway.

You don't always get detailed planet data from a nav beacon.

Morter fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Feb 25, 2017

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Tippis posted:

Nah, strafing and yawing is what your feet are for. :D

Wait... you can thrust specific sides? I just have one toe-pedal for thrusters, the other is to switch throttle to reverse.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Colonial Air Force posted:

Wait... you can thrust specific sides? I just have one toe-pedal for thrusters, the other is to switch throttle to reverse.

Yes. Depending on how insane you are and how much you enjoy working in SATAN TARGET, you can either make a combined virtual axis from two existing axes and bind that to the game's left/right thrust axis, or just bind each toe axis to the respective strafing button inputs directly in Elite itself.

The game is insanely flexible in what it allows you to bind to different outputs. If you don't need the analogue input (and tbh, with left/right thrust in this game, you rarely do), binding the toe axes directly to the thrust left/right buttons is perfectly adequate.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Well, I may need to find a different button for "reverse" now.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Picked up ED so I have something to play with my Vive. Will be playing once Frontier Support transfers my console credits over.

Read the OP - What's the best HOTAS to use with a VR headset? (Apparently Saitek is not recommended?)

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
The in-game model is a Saitek X-52, but the Thrustmaster Warthog is the best HOTAS.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Knowing nothing about science, i have to ask: why is there no talk about the idea to synthesize fuel for your main ship, like you would your SRV? I mainly ask because the added fuel efficiency bonuses would be neat as all hell for an explorer ship.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Morter posted:

Knowing nothing about science, i have to ask: why is there no talk about the idea to synthesize fuel for your main ship, like you would your SRV? I mainly ask because the added fuel efficiency bonuses would be neat as all hell for an explorer ship.

Because with a fuel scoop, you already have an infinite fuel source? Or do you actually want to scrounge up materials for hours on a planet to fuel your ship, because holy poo poo if that's the case.

What Frontier could do is adding gas giant scooping and depending on what type of gas giant, you could get fuel efficiency bonuses. But synthesis would be bollocks for fuel, considering you're generally emptying out your tank after a couple jumps if you're not constantly using your scoop. You'd need hundreds, if not thousands units of materials to synthesize that often. (And if you aren't, the fuel efficiency bonuses are even more useless than a white dwarf's FSD-boost.)

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Morter posted:

They're waiting for space legs so you can run around on the surface of planets with a special butterfly net to catch the hydrogen molecules and put them in a jar.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Picked up ED so I have something to play with my Vive. Will be playing once Frontier Support transfers my console credits over.

Read the OP - What's the best HOTAS to use with a VR headset? (Apparently Saitek is not recommended?)

Depends on your budget really. thrustmaster hotas X is pretty good for being $50. Next up is the t1600 hotas pack at $130 which a ton of frogs have and they like it (i do too). Beyond that you're looking at the thrustmaster warthog or CH stick and throttle at $200+. You can mix and match too, like getting a CH throttle and the VKB Gladiator stick.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Boogalo posted:

Next up is the t1600 hotas pack at $130

I have and like this.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Alright, I'll get a T1600.

How hard is ship management with a VR headset on? I don't imagine people are constantly pulling off their headset to find they keyboard. Is there a preferred VR setup?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Today I discovered the DTS Headphones X option under Audio settings and woah

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
I upgraded from a PS2 controller to the $50 thrustmaster hotas and the incidence of "rocketed into the station wall because 'boost' and 'landing gear' are both bound to the same button" has dropped to zero.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Alright, I'll get a T1600.

How hard is ship management with a VR headset on? I don't imagine people are constantly pulling off their headset to find they keyboard. Is there a preferred VR setup?

What parts of ship management are you referring to, specifically?

In general, both the in-station and in-ship UIs are eminently HOTAS:able, although there are obviously some (particularly station UI) elements that are more immediately available with a mouse. In space, however, it makes no difference because nothing there is really mouse-friendly to begin with. Two hat switches takes care of all of the in-flight UI, and then you just spread out the rest of the buttons on whatever functions you feel you need to have immediately available.

In-station, you'll certainly come across a couple of instances where you'll have to do a lot of repeated hat presses to do some things — e.g. fill up your cargo hold with goods — or where you have to take a slightly unintuitive route to go from one UI button to the next (I'm looking at you engineering interface). But it's still all doable. And as mentioned, it would be more a case of reaching for your mouse rather than your keyboard anyway. If you can feel your way between your stick and your mouse without taking the headset off, you're all set.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Morter posted:

Because it isn't about realism or even fun? It's some sort of struggle they have with things they design and you get stuff like powerplay out of it, or lack of reasons to play with your friends or overall goals to go for or the times where they go against what players want (remember that time that players overwhelmingly supported onionhead but Frontier handwaved it away because it wasn't the outcome they wanted? lmao).

It always felt to me that there are two (or more?) camps within Frontier that duke it out every time they design a game system and that's why we get weird things that don't match up, or systems like Powerplay where there is no fun to even be found and Braben apologizes for it directly. But it never gets fixed :(

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
what the gently caress is wrong with marcus quent or whatever, I take the invite mission and it immediately fails me on it. Come on frontiers.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Libluini posted:

Because with a fuel scoop, you already have an infinite fuel source? Or do you actually want to scrounge up materials for hours on a planet to fuel your ship, because holy poo poo if that's the case.

Err, no, and I'm sorry my question offended you? :raise:

The idea mainly was the buff for fuel efficiency, like SRVs get at higher grade refuels. It would also otherwise free up an internal slot, especially if you're constantly at Max materials.

Just an idea.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

There was something wrong with donation missions today, they'd immediately fail right after taking them.

The bounty community goal going on right now in Rahu I would highly recommend. There's a high res site right near the cg station that has what I've subjectively felt to be a 50/50 chance of becoming a $200,000 anaconda shitter type spawn. The ships are rolling pretty hefty on the hp side of things though. All in all it's a really convenient cg.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Tippis posted:

What parts of ship management are you referring to, specifically?

Module management and targeting mostly, though now that I think about it having a mouse means I'm overcomplicating this. I'm still thinking of navigating those menus with an xbox controller.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Morter posted:

Err, no, and I'm sorry my question offended you? :raise:

The idea mainly was the buff for fuel efficiency, like SRVs get at higher grade refuels. It would also otherwise free up an internal slot, especially if you're constantly at Max materials.

Just an idea.

I'd rather have my scoop, thanks. Also technically I want to point out that we already have this, after all what are the FSD-boost injections other than stuff we cram into our fuel to make better jumps?

It basically makes FSD-fuel usage more efficient, which results in higher jump range. Your idea would do the same thing, just with refuels added in. That seems to be both convoluted and redundant.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Feb 26, 2017

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I just wanted to put my own 2 cents in about saitek stuff. I have the x52 pro I bought used from ebay and it has been a goddamn champ considering my drunken recklessness. I woke up last week to find my throttle on the floor and the slider above the E button popped off. put it back on and there were zero issues.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Parallelwoody posted:

I just wanted to put my own 2 cents in about saitek stuff. I have the x52 pro I bought used from ebay and it has been a goddamn champ considering my drunken recklessness. I woke up last week to find my throttle on the floor and the slider above the E button popped off. put it back on and there were zero issues.

Is your cat playing when you sleep, or are you just a really bad drunk?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Colonial Air Force posted:

Is your cat playing when you sleep, or are you just a really bad drunk?

…alternatively, revoke the cat's liquor cabinet access.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

drat 3 fully upgraded beam lasers and a grade 5 upgraded distributor in a python is hilarious. But I only have a 6C shield and it's pretty poo poo in RES sites if things target me.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Boogalo posted:

Depends on your budget really. thrustmaster hotas X is pretty good for being $50. Next up is the t1600 hotas pack at $130 which a ton of frogs have and they like it (i do too). Beyond that you're looking at the thrustmaster warthog or CH stick and throttle at $200+. You can mix and match too, like getting a CH throttle and the VKB Gladiator stick.
I've seen the Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS thrown around here quite a bit and I always arms folded say, "I have the Hotas X which I got for $40 and it is the greatest!". The only thing I really hate about it is that with all the rounded edges, there is no way to really strap it down to hold it in place while I am playing on the Vive. I spent some time 3D printing a system of pegs and supports that go into the screw recesses in the base but it still wants to come loose every now and again when I am really getting into it.

I just googled "T.16000M FCS mounting" and it turns out the T.16000M has 2x M6 threads in the bottom to be used for bolting it to a surface. Welp, looks like I gotta upgrade now! The caveat is that the throttle and stick have their own USB plugs, so you'll need 2x USB ports.

Any Frogs care to comment on how convenient it is to use while wearing a VR headset? Are the buttons on the stick easy to locate without seeing?

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

I can't tell if I was shot down by a camper or if my docking computer bugged on me but I crashed trying to land on the engineer planet. That was kinda an expensive crash, dammit. Anyone else have issues with docking computers on planetary landings?

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

Docking computer has issues at times. Don't leave it unattended.

Put in a ticket with support for docking computer issues and they'll likely get your ship/money back.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

frogge posted:

I can't tell if I was shot down by a camper or if my docking computer bugged on me but I crashed trying to land on the engineer planet. That was kinda an expensive crash, dammit. Anyone else have issues with docking computers on planetary landings?

No more than elsewhere. It seems to be using some pre-defined flight corridors to move into position, and occasionally, there will be something between where you are and where it wants to go that will make the AP happily rub the ship to death against it.

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

CapnBry posted:

Any Frogs care to comment on how convenient it is to use while wearing a VR headset? Are the buttons on the stick easy to locate without seeing?

The buttons on the base are obnoxious, I always mixed up the bottom and top rows, so I just bound the same thing to the both rows.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
After playing sporadically for a few weeks I've racked up close to 20 million credits and I'm looking to upgrade my bounty hunting ship from a Viper to a Vulture. What's the current hotness for a bounty hunter loadout on one of those? I was using 2 pulse lasers and 2 macrocannons on the Viper but I'm not sure that a pulse/mc combo would work well with only two hardpoints.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

PantsOptional posted:

After playing sporadically for a few weeks I've racked up close to 20 million credits and I'm looking to upgrade my bounty hunting ship from a Viper to a Vulture. What's the current hotness for a bounty hunter loadout on one of those? I was using 2 pulse lasers and 2 macrocannons on the Viper but I'm not sure that a pulse/mc combo would work well with only two hardpoints.

Convention is to go with 2 class-3 Pulse lasers, however I prefer bursts because of the front-loaded DPS and the fact that they're more damaging against hulls. You'll have to carry relatively low-rated thrusters until you can engineer your power plant, however, but minor improvements to its output will eventually allow you to sport class-A thrusters in combination with the bursts.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

PantsOptional posted:

With that kind of money you can almost A rate a vulture. Now that large kinetic weapons are a thing (cannons got buffed, frags got more ammo and there's the large multicannon) I love to have 1 beam and 1 multicannon, the large beam makes short work of most shields in a single capacitor volley or two, then you rain metal chunks on the hull with your (possibly engineered) multicannon or frag.

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010

Blind Rasputin posted:

drat 3 fully upgraded beam lasers and a grade 5 upgraded distributor in a python is hilarious. But I only have a 6C shield and it's pretty poo poo in RES sites if things target me.

Just put a grade 5 dirty drive on my python. Its like new ship, i havent boosted to 454 m/s since my old cobra mk3 :3:

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

CapnBry posted:

Literally just unboxed mine, and holy poo poo is this thing a steal for $107. It looks clean. The product photos made it look almost tacky, but on my desk it's actually the least eye-grabby setup I've owned (I savored boxing up that X-55 throttle). The throttle feels a bit light and plastic-y, but so did the one from CH Products, and imo this one has better binding options for less: a better mini-stick, as many buttons, and as many usable hats (the index finger on the CH is a nightmare), plus a trim wheel for in-atmo games and a two-way paddle for... something? Idk. But most strikingly, it's the only one I've used so far where all of those things are in a sensible place I can reach without contorting my hand or looking down. Everything is exactly where I need it to be. It's obvious that they gave space games and VR users equal consideration when they designed this. :swoon:

I haven't tested them yet, but I don't see how you could mix up the top and bottom rows of those new stick buttons... maybe b0lt has the original version? On mine the top row has easy to find indents, and the bottom row has raised bumps (1, 2, and then 1 again, so you can tell them apart). With all the potential modifiers on the throttle, you should have more than enough bindings to cover anything that needs to be a twitch reaction. Just use the buttons on the stick base for stuff like landing gear that you can afford to feel around for.

Edit for people like me who have the old stick and are wondering whether to get the new throttle or the full HOTAS: the new stick has a much better hat (gently caress that old Cone Of Slipperiness), little grooves on the buttons below the hat, and an ever-so-slightly grippier trigger. Also, your used stick sells from $35 to $100 on ebay. Do with that information what you will.

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Feb 27, 2017

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
Is there any reason to not stick the best lightweight mod on your lifesupport? I'm not sure what happens when it's destroyed; the engineer mod lowers life support integrity, but what does that really translate to. Cockpit canopy strength? Or do you just switch to your oxygen reserve with an intact canopy when it's lost?

Arach
Oct 3, 2003

Dive! Dive! Di... are you diving yet?
Grimey Drawer

Sard posted:

Is there any reason to not stick the best lightweight mod on your lifesupport? I'm not sure what happens when it's destroyed; the engineer mod lowers life support integrity, but what does that really translate to. Cockpit canopy strength? Or do you just switch to your oxygen reserve with an intact canopy when it's lost?

Integrity is basically the hit points for the module. Only matters if you're taking damage. Tends not to be targeted directly by folk.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Your Loyal Vizier posted:

Literally just unboxed mine, and holy poo poo is this thing a steal for $107. It looks clean.
Well I hope you're happy, I just ordered one because, hey, it is my birthday and all! :10bux:

Speaking of switches, I am super jealous of what Tippis posted where he's got an actual switch for cargo scoop. People complain about my immersion but I think a little tear came out when I realized that a spaceship would not have toggle buttons for things, they would flip the switch to CARGO SCOOP OPEN and scoop up their bounty. Also they do not sometimes flip their landing gear up by mistake sometimes when coming into the pad :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

PantsOptional posted:

There's all sorts of good options, try stuff and see what you like. I prefer 1 gimballed beam 1 fixed frag cannon, with the vulture's thrust and control it's easy to get in close and space shotguns are fun as hell.

• Locked thread