Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Main Paineframe posted:

Just because someone voted for Bernie over Clinton doesn't mean they're guaranteed to vote for whoever Bernie endorses. Some of Bernie's supporters were diehards who worship the ground he walks on, of course, but others were people who just liked his message more than Hillary's - and the latter group is far more important to the Dems right now than the former. As long as they get someone with the right message, policies, and priorities, whether or not he gets the Bernie endorsement isn't that important.

Yes, if there's one thing the current Dem party is known for, it's ideological purity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.
Because I -really- can't think of one.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Yinlock posted:

lol why do i bother

tbf perez literally trotted out the "gets things done" line

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Schnorkles posted:

Who's the best example of an out and out hard progressive winning in a very conservative environment?

corbyn in british labour, kind of

he later turned out to be insane in a different direction though

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Schnorkles posted:

Who's the best example of an out and out hard progressive winning in a very conservative environment?
Buttigieg.

Not even joking, really

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Buttigieg.

Not even joking, really

Is South Bend really that conservative? I was under the impressive it was fairly liberal as a city.

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

i was pretty apathetic about the dem chair thing but i knew the meltdowns would be p good if perez won and i'm definitely not disappointed so far

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Oh Snapple! posted:

Every time I hear "progressive who gets things done," it's always by someone who's done far less than Ralph Nader ever has.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Oh Snapple! posted:

to be absolutely fair, i did find myself incredibly disappointed with ellison a few times during this whole mess (the stuff MP mentioned) and I essentially told myself that this was stuff he had to do due to the nature of this specific vote. I'll even contend that this likely would have been settled on round 1 if he'd done differently on any single one of those things.

Yeah it's weird, it's like Ellison was the actual compromise candidate the progressives were willing to settle for and they couldn't even get that lol

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Fallen Hamprince posted:

i was pretty apathetic about the election but i knew the meltdowns would be p good if trump won and i'm definitely not disappointed so far

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Oh Snapple! posted:

that's true, i'm not arguing that either candidate was a particularly shining example

but they're trying which is still 100x better than dws

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Schnorkles posted:

Is South Bend really that conservative? I was under the impressive it was fairly liberal as a city.
Not particularly. His edge was that he is a populist who was running against a GOP establishment type.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Schnorkles posted:

donald "j" trump

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Are we betting yet on how bad the democrats manage to lose in 2018 and 2020?

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Perfect Potato posted:

Yeah it's weird, it's like Ellison was the actual compromise candidate the progressives were willing to settle for and they couldn't even get that lol

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
The kiss of death. Democrats are screwed in 2018 and 2020.

https://twitter.com/BillKristol/status/835612427312054276

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Cinnamon Bear posted:

Are we betting yet on how bad the democrats manage to lose in 2018 and 2020?

To be perfectly honest, I think that will be less from this chairman election and more from assuming America gives a gently caress about Russia.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Not particularly. His edge was that he is a populist who was running against a GOP establishment type.

huh, tmyk.

mormonpartyboat posted:

donald "j" trump

"but what if donald trump is actually more liberal than hillary?" *hits bong*

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Perfect Potato posted:

More or less.

I said this earlier but people keep forgetting that a lot of the ire directed at Perez isn't due to him having the gall to run or anything like that - it's over him very blatantly running at Obama's request for no other reason than to try to deny a win for the leftists and to assert control. And this was also the basis of pretty much all the opposition I saw against Keith - well, that and the islamaphobic bullshit. Ellison was, all things considered, a savvy compromise pick for a party dependent on coalition building who likely would have done a good job.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Probably Magic posted:

Yes, if there's one thing the current Dem party is known for, it's ideological purity.

They don't have to match Bernie's message exactly. They just have to figure out what about it appealed to the demographics they want, and try to trim out the bits that didn't appeal to the demographics he lost. They don't care about Sanders diehards, but they'd really like to pick up the factory workers he attracted

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

mormonpartyboat posted:

donald "j" trump

that's not untrue

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I have a question, why does everyone who's been posting ":rolleyes: they're the same person, calm down, not everything is a personal slight against you :rolleyes:" think Perez was encouraged to run and endorsed by the Obama camp after Ellison had already entered

If they are so identical, why did Perez run at all, and why did The Establishment prefer him

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Oh Snapple! posted:

More or less.

I said this earlier but people keep forgetting that a lot of the ire directed at Perez isn't due to him having the gall to run or anything like that - it's over him very blatantly running at Obama's request for no other reason than to try to deny a win for the leftists and to assert control. And this was also the basis of pretty much all the opposition I saw against Keith - well, that and the islamaphobic bullshit. Ellison was, all things considered, a savvy compromise pick for a party dependent on coalition building who likely would have done a good job.

and he's deupty chair, so they've shown that they're willing to work with him and by extension bernie

which is why i don't get this level of outrage, like i can see being bummed but this genuine fury is weird

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Main Paineframe posted:

They don't have to match Bernie's message exactly. They just have to figure out what about it appealed to the demographics they want, and try to trim out the bits that didn't appeal to the demographics he lost. They don't care about Sanders diehards, but they'd really like to pick up the factory workers he attracted

All they've talked about is how Putin is inside our house, how in any way does that appeal to people who are struggling to pay Obamacare premiums?

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

loquacius posted:

I have a question, why does everyone who's been posting ":rolleyes: they're the same person, calm down, not everything is a personal slight against you :rolleyes:" think Perez was encouraged to run and endorsed by the Obama camp after Ellison had already entered

If they are so identical, why did Perez run at all, and why did The Establishment prefer him

because obama journeyed to mars as a psychic teenager and met time traveling aliens who impregnated his brain with illuminati space jew controls

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

loquacius posted:

to keep Dershowitz in the party, of course

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

His... butt edge edge.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
seriously lol @ the worst of all possible worlds and kristol cursing you and trump mocking

butigeig was your only hope

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Yinlock posted:

so are we ignoring the whole deputy chair thing, pretty sure that's giving the slightest bit of power

jesus christ

So the dnc is powerless and ceremonial, but the deputy chair is a sizable power offer to respect

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

loquacius posted:

because the 2016 election was decided by Midwestern factory workers, who like Perez

It's super obvious, if you're ready to admit that maybe not everything is a sinister conspiracy to take down anti-establishment crusaders like Chuck Schumer and the AFL-CIO

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Yinlock posted:

and he's deupty chair, so they've shown that they're willing to work with him and by extension bernie

which is why i don't get this level of outrage, like i can see being bummed but this genuine fury is weird

"They're willing to give him a position below the position they said is utterly meaningless and inconsequential, so how can you say they aren't taking the progressive wing seriously?"

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Yinlock posted:

I have a negative enough view of the people involved that it's v. easy for me to see the move as the obama camp saying "you'll have whatever voice we decide to give you"

on the plus side it's a savvier move than hillary's camp was ever capabale of making

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
Centerists chuckle smugly as their faction of the party continues to plunge America into apocalyptic darkness through sheer cluelessness and incompetence.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

I think the worst part of climate change is that it means Balgoon doesn't have to melt the ice off his DSL link as often.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
dick suckin lips

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer

Probably Magic posted:

All they've talked about is how Putin is inside our house, how in any way does that appeal to people who are struggling to pay Obamacare premiums?

The Russians!!!

We're still a nation that hasn't gotten over McCarthyism.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Main Paineframe posted:

because the 2016 election was decided by Midwestern factory workers, who like Perez

It's super obvious, if you're ready to admit that maybe not everything is a sinister conspiracy to take down anti-establishment crusaders like Chuck Schumer and the AFL-CIO

They also like Ellison :confused:

"Ellison and Perez are identical except the working class only likes one of them" is a nonsensical stance

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Baloogan posted:

dick suckin lips

stay unfrosty :bigtran:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Ace of Baes posted:

Centerists chuckle smugly as their faction of the party continues to plunge America into apocalyptic darkness through sheer cluelessness and incompetence.

all they care about is rich progressive donors like Goldman Sachs and Exxon funnelling paychecks into their bank accounts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Hilario Baldness posted:

The Russians!!!

We're still a nation that hasn't gotten over McCarthyism.

I mean, Putin is a thug, sure, but Hillary refused to call out Erdogan or Saudia Arabia during the presidential debates, so it's not like the DNC operates from a higher ground when it comes to authoritarians.

• Locked thread