Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
'Adulting' is like 'feels' 2.0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Parents suck

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

FirstAidKite posted:

Oh ok so "adulting" is just like

someone going "Hey I've gotta go adulting and pick up some groceries" or whatever

ok

FirstAidKite you're not old!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

In Training posted:

Parents suck

Parents just don't understand.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I'm gonna adult tonight :dance:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

FirstAidKite you're not old!

I never said I was old. I just haven't heard the term "adulting" before outside of this thread.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I think I found it

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Snak posted:

Yeah or like "I did the dishes, paid all the bills, and vacuumed. Adulting sucks"
these are all good things to do, because then you don't live in a heroin den-like squalor

like how can anyone complain about that

e:

Lizard Wizard posted:

I think I found it

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

'Adulting' is like 'feels' 2.0

Exactly. The underlying sentiment is perfectly fine and relatable, it's just the way of expressing it is asinine and also a huge red flag about the person saying it. It's like when somebody describes something as an "epic fail" IRL or derisively refers to someone as a "special snowflake" or uses the term "virtue signalling" ever.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
The heck does virtue signalling mean

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

like how can anyone complain about that

Depression, I assume

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I took it as a light self-jabbing joke, like when people log off from chatting online to go work or something. "It was nice talking, but I've got to go be a functional adult now."

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

FirstAidKite posted:

Saying something for the purpose of making other people think you're virtuous

In other words, anything someone doesn't like and thinks you should shut up about

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Hint: The phrase "adulting" is self-deprecating and in good humor, not everybody is a sad sack y'know

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

FirstAidKite posted:

I never said I was old. I just haven't heard the term "adulting" before outside of this thread.

I just wanted you to know that b/c not knowing slang can make people feel old.

FirstAidKite posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAmM872874A

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
if you're talking to someone who unironically or ironically uses the term virtue signalling you should stop talking to that someone

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Guy Mann posted:

Exactly. The underlying sentiment is perfectly fine and relatable, it's just the way of expressing it is asinine and also a huge red flag about the person saying it. It's like when somebody describes something as an "epic fail" IRL or derisively refers to someone as a "special snowflake" or uses the term "virtue signalling" ever.

Epic fail is definitely main stream now, I hear it at least once a month from normal people and fucks with me every time

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

CJacobs posted:

Hint: The phrase "adulting" is self-deprecating and in good humor, not everybody is a sad sack y'know

then why have i only ever heard maladjusted people say it, like the sort of person who smells of pig poo poo but has a desk job and doesn't live anywhere near pigs

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Captain Invictus posted:

if you're talking to someone who unironically or ironically uses the term virtue signalling you should stop talking to that someone

Yeah it's a snotty term for sure. We used to use "preaching to the converted" and that got the point across without coming across as a lonely bitter gently caress

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The White Dragon posted:

then why have i only ever heard maladjusted people say it, like the sort of person who smells of pig poo poo but has a desk job and doesn't live anywhere near pigs

are you an engineer

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Motto posted:

are you an engineer

no but if i was i'd be making plenty money

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

The White Dragon posted:

It's because you have a problem with projecting my dude

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

CrashCat posted:

Yeah it's a snotty term for sure. We used to use "preaching to the converted" and that got the point across without coming across as a lonely bitter gently caress
I literally said "you're preaching to the choir" to Tei like 20 minutes ago when he was ranting about 4chan and such winning the election for trump lol

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

The White Dragon posted:

why not both.jpg

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

CJacobs posted:

It's because you have a problem with projecting my dude

idk maybe it's a cultural difference, the normal people i interact with generally say "oh brah i gotta go bank and then afterwards can do whateva ok shoots" instead of "i need to adult"

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

The White Dragon posted:

idk maybe it's a cultural difference, the normal people i interact with generally say "oh brah i gotta go bank and then afterwards can do whateva ok shoots" instead of "i need to adult"

The people you interact with sound like fuckin' tools

edit: Tools who never bathe

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Homework's wack and so are rules

Tuckin' in your shirt's for fools

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Speaking of, having just played it in guitar hero, the lyrics to School's Out by Alice Cooper have always bothered me because think about the gall it takes

quote:

Well we got no class
And we got no principals
And we got no innocence
We can't even think of a word that rhymes

to just like write down that you can't think of a word that rhymes instead of changing the line. God drat you and your cool snake, Alice Cooper.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Lizard Wizard posted:

I own this PS2 controller. I don't really have any other PS2 controllers that aren't worn out or grimy/dusty as hell. I'm gonna want a second controller at some point, but it has to be something relatively unique - but still affordable. Any suggestions?

do you have the dragon quest slime controller

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

NerdCubed just put up a video of Sniper Elite 4 and now I'm wondering why I've never touched that series before, it looks insanely awesome

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Regy Rusty posted:

Homework's wack and so are rules

Tuckin' in your shirt's for fools

Gravity Falls was such a great show. Fight Fighters and Soos and the Real Girl are also great videogame-centric episodes of television.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYrldOjoubw

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

oddium posted:

do you have the dragon quest slime controller

I do, but something about the plastic it's made of has turned it sticky/oily

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I'm going to buy the Spongebob controller tbh

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

What PS2 games have you been playing

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

I have never heard the term adulting outside of a self deprecating joke like "Paid taxes for the first time. Finally getting used to adulting!" Or "went grocery shopping and came back with fruit snacks, beer, and potato chips. How do I adult?" Y'all are straight up old men sitting on a porch wondering about all the crazy lingo kids use.

Source: I'm 22 years old.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Help Im Alive posted:

What PS2 games have you been playing

None but I recently modded mine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

On my eighteenth birthday, my father took me aside, a little drunk, and he said, "Jay, you can eat all the cookies and ice cream you want now," and I never looked back.

• Locked thread