Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Evil Canadian posted:

Yep on valk, Raider is very limited, and even though I love him to bits Kensei isn't that great either. Lawbringer def better off than those 3.

I'm not sure I can agree that Lawbringer is better off than Kensei, but it's definitely true that Kensei has real problems.

Most of his poo poo is just too drat slow. His chain finisher mixup is great but against a good player even getting to use it can be a problem. He needs more methods to get an offense started, basically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

Do we have an expected time for the servers to come back?

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

There Diomedes aimed and stabbed, he gouged him down
his glistening flesh and wrenched the spear back out
and the brazen god of war let loose a shriek, roaring,
thundering loud as nine, ten thousand combat soldiers
shriek with Ares' fury when massive armies clash.

Captain Oblivious posted:

I'm not sure I can agree that Lawbringer is better off than Kensei, but it's definitely true that Kensei has real problems.

Most of his poo poo is just too drat slow. His chain finisher mixup is great but against a good player even getting to use it can be a problem. He needs more methods to get an offense started, basically.

He has deceptive range, which is super helpful, but he's almost wholly dependent on feinting and his grab>throw>unblockable. I'm admittedly fairly garbage with him, but I basically whittle people down with top light and maybe the, what feels like, an overly long side dodge swipe, until I can get the grab combo. Besides that, I'm better off just parrying everything and taking what I can get.

Which goes back to the game almost forcing you to play defensively because it really is the optimal way to play. As an assassin class, for example, I'm 1000% better off just responding to your attacks because deflects are so goddamn good and easy to do. Parry on top of that, and there's no point in being aggressive. Your opponent creates all the opening you'll ever need.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I noticed decent Kensei players usually cancel out of the really obvious unblockable overhead. Pretty much everyone will attempt to parry that poo poo. So he cancels out of it and slams a side heavy into you instead which fucks you up.

It was actually a drat smart tactic. Cause everytime he'd do the unblockable, it was either "Do I attempt to parry and punish, or will he feint and side heavy, or will he actually go through with it?" So it'd basically force me to dodge back just to be safe.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Loopoo posted:

I noticed decent Kensei players usually cancel out of the really obvious unblockable overhead. Pretty much everyone will attempt to parry that poo poo. So he cancels out of it and slams a side heavy into you instead which fucks you up.

It was actually a drat smart tactic. Cause everytime he'd do the unblockable, it was either "Do I attempt to parry and punish, or will he feint and side heavy, or will he actually go through with it?" So it'd basically force me to dodge back just to be safe.

The really smart ones will cancel out of it into a guard break for the exact reason you listed :eng101:

Xeremides posted:

He has deceptive range, which is super helpful, but he's almost wholly dependent on feinting and his grab>throw>unblockable. I'm admittedly fairly garbage with him, but I basically whittle people down with top light and maybe the, what feels like, an overly long side dodge swipe, until I can get the grab combo. Besides that, I'm better off just parrying everything and taking what I can get.

Which goes back to the game almost forcing you to play defensively because it really is the optimal way to play. As an assassin class, for example, I'm 1000% better off just responding to your attacks because deflects are so goddamn good and easy to do. Parry on top of that, and there's no point in being aggressive. Your opponent creates all the opening you'll ever need.

Yep :(

The overriding problem this game has with defensive play being the be all end all is one problem I can't see them actually fixing. Which is a shame because it makes fights suuuper boring.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

The really smart ones will cancel out of it into a guard break for the exact reason you listed :eng101:

Yep :(

The overriding problem this game has with defensive play being the be all end all is one problem I can't see them actually fixing. Which is a shame because it makes fights suuuper boring.

Increase attack speed for slower characters and make the window for feinting longer and I think you're about 75% there.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Make lights parryable but unpunishable maybe?

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

fadam posted:

Make lights parryable but unpunishable maybe?

Lights are parryable for characters like PK, so you'd have to make lights slower or non-assassin characters a lot faster. You'd have to rebalance a lot of systems and stats to make that work, which should probably be done, anyway.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Is this game any more fun than Chivalry was?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

No, I mean like if you parry a light it just puts you both back at neutral instead of letting the guy who parried get a free GB->Heavy or whatever.

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

fadam posted:

No, I mean like if you parry a light it just puts you both back at neutral instead of letting the guy who parried get a free GB->Heavy or whatever.

I'm not sure why I'd go through the trouble of trying to parry lights in that scenario, considering how difficult it usually is. And if you miss the parry, which you probably will, instead of blocking or dodging, you're getting a nice smack, anyway. Seems like a high risk, no reward type situation. The free heavy is usually from guard breaking or getting thrown into a wall, or after a confirm, in general.

Edit: I feel like I'm maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're saying, so can you break it down for me Barney-style and walk me through a combat scenario whereby one of the players parries the light?

Xeremides fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Feb 26, 2017

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Loopoo posted:

Kensei unblockable overhead/cancel into heavy side actually can nab everyone trying to roll out except the assassin classes, as they roll further/faster.
Against the assassins, if they have space to roll out there is literally no followup or trick to catch them :sigh:. Even unblockable, immediate feint, de-lock run into running attack they will have time to block or immediate feint dash forward helmsplitter just whiffs.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

VelociBacon posted:

Is this game any more fun than Chivalry was?

It's like Chivalry but $60 with even more heinous microtransactions, less depth, and it's run by Ubisoft Montreal, which is to say poorly.

It's fun. It's really fun. It just sucks.

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

Evil Canadian posted:

Kensei unblockable overhead/cancel into heavy side actually can nab everyone trying to roll out except the assassin classes, as they roll further/faster.
Against the assassins, if they have space to roll out there is literally no followup or trick to catch them :sigh:. Even unblockable, immediate feint, de-lock run into running attack they will have time to block or immediate feint dash forward helmsplitter just whiffs.

Because everyone and their mother does the top feint to side heavy, I generally just deflect the unblockable. It's only a matter of time before other assassins start to do it, putting Kensei at even more of a disadvantage. He really needs a rework.

BuhamutZeo
Jun 1, 2011
Ok when the game first came out on PC my NAT connection was green. Then last week it was yellow. Tonight it became red and I have not changed a single thing with my network setup. What is going on?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I'm playing the campaign right now because gently caress it and I have to ask- these ridiculous bridge catapults aren't actually based on something real right?

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

BuhamutZeo posted:

Ok when the game first came out on PC my NAT connection was green. Then last week it was yellow. Tonight it became red and I have not changed a single thing with my network setup. What is going on?

Ubisoft poo poo the bed. It is like this for everyone.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Xeremides posted:

Because everyone and their mother does the top feint to side heavy, I generally just deflect the unblockable. It's only a matter of time before other assassins start to do it, putting Kensei at even more of a disadvantage. He really needs a rework.

There is a couple layers of it, like almost nobody knows you can actually dash cancel the unblockable which catches a lot of people off guard the first time. But yeah the Kensei big trick gets much worse as people get smarter.

Anyway speaking of tricks I did up one more vid:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-f-4ryGcUE

Speaking of trying to gently caress people over for trying to roll out, Lawbringer can actually do it against everyone and it works even better against the assassins which I detail in that vid.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

i bought a used copy of this game to try it and i cannot play it online because for some reason my NAT shows as strict and will not connect to ANYONE despite my ps4 being in dmz mode and not having this problem with any other game.

gg ubisoft glad i can just return this!

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

cams posted:

i bought a used copy of this game to try it and i cannot play it online because for some reason my NAT shows as strict and will not connect to ANYONE despite my ps4 being in dmz mode and not having this problem with any other game.

gg ubisoft glad i can just return this!

Currently the servers are fried, issue is on ubisoft end

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Seriously how does a Triple A game have server issues this bad barely a week after release? You'd think they would have someone fixing this ASAP.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Exmond posted:

Currently the servers are fried, issue is on ubisoft end
oh good, i should have read the thread before immediately madposting in it. just got off work and spent 40 minutes trying to play this and being frustrated.

i am glad everyone is suffering and not just me

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

Seriously how does a Triple A game have server issues this bad barely a week after release? You'd think they would have someone fixing this ASAP.

It isn't just this game. It was all of ubisoft. It affected R6, too.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

Internet Kraken posted:

Kinda reminds me how Skyrim was a shitshow at launch and Bethesda was on vacation.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Xeremides posted:

It isn't just this game. It was all of ubisoft. It affected R6, too.

And the ghost recon beta. I wonder what the problem is

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Wandle Cax posted:

And the ghost recon beta. I wonder what the problem is

You already know the answer to that.

BuhamutZeo
Jun 1, 2011

Evil Canadian posted:

There is a couple layers of it, like almost nobody knows you can actually dash cancel the unblockable which catches a lot of people off guard the first time. But yeah the Kensei big trick gets much worse as people get smarter.

Anyway speaking of tricks I did up one more vid:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-f-4ryGcUE

Speaking of trying to gently caress people over for trying to roll out, Lawbringer can actually do it against everyone and it works even better against the assassins which I detail in that vid.

I have a Lawbringer at P2L18 and I did not know a couple of tips from this. Thanks much!

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

You think this is a game?

Sultan Tarquin posted:

You already know the answer to that.

:ubisoft:

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Just wanted to pop in and say i love thst my congueror seems to do the yawn stretch idle after every execution.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Xeremides posted:

You're either hella brave or hella stupid. I ain't risking my rear end deflecting an overhead unblockable mate. Either you poo poo the bed and eat that high damage attack and feel like an idiot, or you manage to pull off the deflect which is insanely difficult. For unblockables, I just straight up dodge back or parry them. Deflects are hard enough to pull off on normal heavies, but at least if you goof up you can still dodge the swing. I've noticed unblockables don't typically let you do that, attempting to dodge sideways under them still gets you smacked unless it's an overhead.

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
Why do matches against AI count toward your stats? I guess I shouldn't really care about my pub stats but I've been dueling against the AI while the servers are down with characters I haven't used much. I like knowing how well I am with certain characters and playing against the AI makes that difficult.

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

Loopoo posted:

You're either hella brave or hella stupid. I ain't risking my rear end deflecting an overhead unblockable mate. Either you poo poo the bed and eat that high damage attack and feel like an idiot, or you manage to pull off the deflect which is insanely difficult. For unblockables, I just straight up dodge back or parry them. Deflects are hard enough to pull off on normal heavies, but at least if you goof up you can still dodge the swing. I've noticed unblockables don't typically let you do that, attempting to dodge sideways under them still gets you smacked unless it's an overhead.

Top feint to side heavy, so I'd be dodging the side heavy. If they decided to actually go top heavy without having actually stunned me, it's just a matter of dodging to the side, and I'm either guaranteed a light hit or have a pretty solid chance of guard breaking them. The side heavy is pretty drat slow, and most Kensei's do the side heavy from their left, so it's easy to wait for. It's just a timing thing. Sometimes they'll throw in the heavy+light thing, which has Kensei spin like two times, and can be super awkward to parry because of how slow it is. Against someone like Shugoki, though, who I don't have the timings down for, I'll just play it safe and dip out.

In a lot of ways, Kensei is like an overbalanced Warden, minus the gimmicks.

Xeremides fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Feb 26, 2017

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014
I played the campaign since the servers are kaputt. drat that was some pointless poo poo.

edit: I did get a bunch of steel though.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

How is this poo poo still broken come on son

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Its working again for me on PC.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

how me a frog posted:

I played the campaign since the servers are kaputt. drat that was some pointless poo poo.

edit: I did get a bunch of steel though.

how'd you get steel if the servers are down? I didn't wanna touch campaign cause I thought with the servers being down, acquiring steel wouldn't work and I'd end up doing all that hard work for nothing cause the servers wouldn't update properly.

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

Loopoo posted:

how'd you get steel if the servers are down? I didn't wanna touch campaign cause I thought with the servers being down, acquiring steel wouldn't work and I'd end up doing all that hard work for nothing cause the servers wouldn't update properly.

I dunno I had 5000 steel when I started the campaign and I have 10000 now that I did the campaign. NAT GREEN

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Still Red NAT here

cams
Mar 28, 2003

it seems like pc and xbox are fine.

psfucked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monowhatever
Mar 19, 2010

I had a short 10 minute window of normal green nat, now im back to red. I'm sick of the single player.