Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Regalingualius posted:

...How the gently caress did something so awful-looking ever get off the ground enough to create one of the most well-known challenges?

Entirely independently of the comic. And yeah, as EclecticTastes says, 4chan. Robot-7's version of the comic helped, and later on there were some more well-known takes like edgy grimdark version Apocalypse Johto (a guilty pleasure of mine).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Regalingualius posted:

Yyyyup, that's the one.

...How the gently caress did something so awful-looking ever get off the ground enough to create one of the most well-known challenges?

skip to the end, the art was better when it was just stick figures

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
also goddamn apparently it has a full blown story plot thing going on now, guy crawled right up his own rear end

Blackunknown
Oct 18, 2013

I really wouldn't define throwing in a story plot as crawling up his own rear end.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Blackunknown posted:

I really wouldn't define throwing in a story plot as crawling up his own rear end.

Read a couple of comics. This dude is so far up his own rear end that he's knocking on his own pyloric sphincter.

Blackunknown
Oct 18, 2013

Antivehicular posted:

Read a couple of comics. This dude is so far up his own rear end that he's knocking on his own pyloric sphincter.

I've read them, I just don't see what you're talking about. It just looks like a normal webcomic to me.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Blackunknown posted:

I've read them, I just don't see what you're talking about. It just looks like a normal webcomic to me.

In my experience, most webcomics are written by people amazingly far up their own asses. The good ones aren't the norm.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

senrath posted:

In my experience, most webcomics are written by people amazingly far up their own asses. The good ones aren't the norm.

Is it wrong I enjoy Order of the Stick?

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Gridlocked posted:

I mean as overcomplicated and dumb as OotS is Rich Burlew is like, a super nice guy, so

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!

Gridlocked posted:

Never feel bad about liking genuinely good media.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Gridlocked posted:

no. Order of the Stick is good. I haven't followed it in years, but last I remember it hadn't disappeared up its own rear end, and the characterization was still excellent. It still came off effectively as a very long D&D campaign that has progressively gotten more involved, last I read.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Gridlocked posted:

No, no, last I checked Order of the Stick was pretty good, provided you can tolerate all of the fourth wall breaking. It's just that there are so, so many really poo poo webcomics out there, because every half-bit "artist" thinks they can be the next big thing without understanding how to write and/or draw.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

You guys know there's a place where you can discuss webcomics to the end of time, right?

Here.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

It's me, I'm the guy who's favourite Pokemon is Zubat.

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!
Oh yeah, this is where you draw the line: webcomics. It's still within the realm of people lost up their own rear end, therefore on topic to this romhack.

Rats Tossbag
Jan 16, 2014

ShootaBoy posted:

I mean, Crobat kinda owns.

Leamonde
Aug 2, 2012

ShootaBoy posted:

I didn't give two shits about zubat until they introduced crobat, who is the cutest. I always tried to have one on my team after that.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

ShootaBoy posted:

Zubat and its evolutions are actually pretty good, and one of these days I need to remember to actually use one for my team (woulda done so for Sun, but I already had a Flying-type AND a Poison-type).

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION

ShootaBoy posted:

Hey, there's no Zubat in Uranium, but at least there's some loving ball with wings and a tail and a fat hippo with Golbat's cry.

...if its movepool wasn't so annoying I bet Zubat would straight-up be a beloved staple of the franchise. I might like Golbat more though, but mostly for the sprites with the tongue hanging out or in Stadium where it's all wrapped up with its wings like Lugosi's Dracula.

Hot take, Crobat is a fine design but is so out of place with the rest of its line that it makes me kind of dislike it.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Am I the only one who has a dislike of the designs that look too mechanical/artificial?

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Crazy Achmed posted:

Am I the only one who has a dislike of the designs that look too mechanical/artificial?

Boy oh boy does Uranium have some treats for you

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

ShootaBoy posted:

Don't feel bad about that, I loving love Crobat and used it every other game because of it's speed and generally good moves.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.
Zubat is very cute and I love it, and I'm really glad Crobat exists because Golbat looks like garbage.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Crobat is/was my bro (mostly in Heartgold)
Crobat is/was my archnemesis if I ever come across one in Battle Frontier/Maison/Tree

goddamn speedsters

its gonna take a lot for this new bat to impress me

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

MarquiseMindfang posted:

edgy grimdark version Apocalypse Johto (a guilty pleasure of mine).
You have no idea how amused I am by this post because the author of that is my oldest internet friend and I even got to be in the special thanks section. I have a number of stories about the guy and his comics but that's not for this thread.

I haven't played any regular Pokémon games since gen 2 and aren't planning on getting back into it either, but I do enjoy reading LPs of them. Uranium certainly hasn't disappointed yet, looking forwards to seeing just how fangame-bad it'll get.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Crazy Achmed posted:

gently caress you magnemite is my angel

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION

Dragonwagon posted:

Zubat is very cute and I love it, and I'm really glad Crobat exists because Golbat looks like garbage.

"suck my dick, bitch" - golbat

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Gutsy Golbat was great. Some of those minigames had wonderful music

e: also having girafarig in the furret game or omanyte in the togepi one

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

homeless hungry plz help posted:

"suck my dick, bitch" - golbat

I don't know much about the Pokémon series but from this gif I can already tell you a lot about Golbat.

Golbat doesn't vote. Golbat calls women "bitches" when he talks to his friends. Golbat is studying business management so he can take over his dad's dealership one day. Golbat is super stoked to be in Panama City for Spring Break.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Golbat loves to claim he "crushed some puss" last night when he was just throwing up in the toilet the whole time

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Golbat has eyes painted on his face so he can fit in with the other pokemon.

GirlCalledBob
Jul 17, 2013
Golbat still believes, in this, the year 2017, that 'Wassup' jokes are funny.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
even this Golbat I would love on my team

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

DeafNote posted:

even this Golbat I would love on my team

You can't fool me; OFS LP'd FF5 Advance years ago. Atomos isn't in Pokemon.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Now you've kinda got me hoping Uranium introduced something like an Atomos.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

ShootaBoy posted:

Bats are cute and great and Crobat owns so this seems like a pefectly serviceable opinion to me.

Crazy Achmed posted:

Like what? Only examples I can think of are Porygon and its evolutions and if you're hating on lovely Polygon Bird I'm gonna have to get mad at the internet at you.

e: Oh poo poo the Klink line is a thing. You can hate that one if you want

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?
Golbat has a special place in my heart because it is the only shiny pokemon I ever caught legit.

Mummy Brigade
Sep 12, 2004

Jeez. You're kind of a bitch.
Golbat and Crobat almost inevitably wind up on my team regardless of what version of Pokemon I'm playing. But that's usually due to them having Poison typing and I've always used a Poison type in my party regardless of how weak and easily beaten they were.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I don't understand the idea behind 1% appearance rates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tactless Ogre
Oct 31, 2011

Glazius posted:

I don't understand the idea behind 1% appearance rates.

Because in nature, it's very rare for certain animals to be seen in the wild and as such, art imitates life. What I can't stand are one percent encounter rates for trash mons.

• Locked thread