Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

uberkeyzer posted:

Interesting. Any reason you suggest TDM over Stars my Destination? I recently finished both for the first time - both are clearly similar and great, but Stars felt much more alive and vibrant to me. Both are clearly products of their time (especially as relates to women in the novels) of course. Maybe I'm just a sucker for the Count of Monte Cristo.

I just loved how espers were presented in the book, the cat and mouse game between the characters, the general flow of the (relatively short) novel, especially when I contrasted it to some 2-3 times as thick books from newer authors. I mean, both are great and I should get around giving them a new go after a long while honestly, but somehow TDM stuck with me the most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

uberkeyzer posted:

Interesting. Any reason you suggest TDM over Stars my Destination? I recently finished both for the first time - both are clearly similar and great, but Stars felt much more alive and vibrant to me. Both are clearly products of their time (especially as relates to women in the novels) of course. Maybe I'm just a sucker for the Count of Monte Cristo.

The Stars My Destination had me in it's grip from the beginning with the insane survival scenario the protagonist has to endure. I was engrossed until the part when I realized how much of Monte Cristo was in it's DNA. That really weakened it's hold on me. I felt like the story could have gone so many places and the tribute stuff was absolutely the weakest part of the book and felt very unnecessary compared to the otherwise cool themes and ideas already present. Overall I thought it was decent at the end.

If you haven't read it, don't have the impression that it's a straight up remake with sci-fi trappings. It's not. Still, I was left a little cold by it. I'll need to check out the Demolished Man.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
The Demolished Man is tighter in focus. It explores less big ideas, as a result, but is the easier and more enjoyable read. They're both really good, of course. Most sci-fi writers earlier than, say, Neuromancer (to pick an arbitrary point) seemed focused on science ideas to the exclusion of all else, and didn't seem to worry about packaging them in enjoyable stories with interesting characters and good prose. Bester's stuff is an exception, and doesn't feel nearly as antiquated in style as many books from his contemporaries.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
I see Hannu Rajaniemi is doing a fantasy alternative history book, due out in August. Cool, though I hoped for more sci-fi.

Nullkigan
Jul 3, 2009
Folding Knife was amazing and the end was nowhere near as dark as The Company. That probably means I'm a sociopath, because the consequences were rather more significant in scope....

Basso's competence might have been overplayed a little, but it was still a very enjoyable read.

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
Who are some younger (say, born in the 70s or later) female science fiction novelists who aren't writing YA?

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

deadgoon posted:

Who are some younger (say, born in the 70s or later) female science fiction novelists who aren't writing YA?

Elizabeth Bear.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Neurosis posted:

The Demolished Man is tighter in focus. It explores less big ideas, as a result, but is the easier and more enjoyable read. They're both really good, of course. Most sci-fi writers earlier than, say, Neuromancer (to pick an arbitrary point) seemed focused on science ideas to the exclusion of all else, and didn't seem to worry about packaging them in enjoyable stories with interesting characters and good prose. Bester's stuff is an exception, and doesn't feel nearly as antiquated in style as many books from his contemporaries.

Let me tell you about a little thing called the New Wave. Reading a year's best sf collection from the early 60s and late 60s is eye-opening.

Solitair posted:

It's an intriguing site, though. Weirdly enough, they're not the first person I've seen recommend R.A. Lafferty. Has anyone here had the fortune of reading Lafferty's books, and if so, are they really all that?

Lafferty's good and on the border of sf. I prefer his short stories.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

deadgoon posted:

NK Jemisin?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Probably Rachel Aaron and Becky Chambers.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

coyo7e posted:

Yeah I consistently hear that Stover's star wars novels are the top of the pile when it comes to an enormous pile of mostly boring dross. I care about Star Wars slightly more than Star Trek - which is to say very little indeed - but if I ever had a gun held to my head and was forced to read a star wars novel, It'd be Stover.

Cheat and read Margaret Weis's Star of the Guardians trilogy instead. Up to a point they're Star Wars with the serial numbers filed off and the Magnificent Seven chucked in, but the relationships are a lot more complex.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Jedit posted:

Cheat and read Margaret Weis's Star of the Guardians trilogy instead. Up to a point they're Star Wars with the serial numbers filed off and the Magnificent Seven chucked in, but the relationships are a lot more complex.

Any seconds of this opinion? I've never heard this mentioned although I can remember it on the shelves.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Number Ten Cocks posted:

Any seconds of this opinion? I've never heard this mentioned although I can remember it on the shelves.
I read it as a teenager and it was fine for that age, but it probably doesn't age any better than the deathgate cycle does. There are a lot of better options. If you're looking for the "feel" of a star wars novel, just read other books by the popular authors, like Zahn's The Icarus Hunt.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Bhodi posted:

I read it as a teenager and it was fine for that age, but it probably doesn't age any better than the deathgate cycle does. There are a lot of better options. If you're looking for the "feel" of a star wars novel, just read other books by the popular authors, like Zahn's The Icarus Hunt.

It ages better than the Deathgate Cycle, even if only because the formula itself is still popular. If you want a Star Wars like experience in a non-Star Wars book it's hard to beat Deathstalker or Star of the Guardians. Whether you're reading the unlicensed works of Star Wars authors or otherwise.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

deadgoon posted:

Kameron Hurley.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

deadgoon posted:

Lauren Beukes
Madeline Ashby
Chris Moriarty*
Emma Newman
Becky Chambers
Charlie Jane Anders
Catherynne M. Valente*
Nisi Shawl
Nnedi Okorafor*

*sometimes writes YA

occamsnailfile fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Feb 26, 2017

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

nessin posted:

It ages better than the Deathgate Cycle, even if only because the formula itself is still popular. If you want a Star Wars like experience in a non-Star Wars book it's hard to beat Deathstalker or Star of the Guardians. Whether you're reading the unlicensed works of Star Wars authors or otherwise.
Yeah, I was about to recommend the Deathstalker series too - it's hard to beat in the sword-and-laser genre.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

The problem with Deathstalker is that it's written by Simon R. Green. He's really pretty good at the worldbuilding aspects and coming up with interesting ideas, and I love how Deathstalker's world was set up. The rogue AIs of Shub, the Hadenmen, the espers. Some really neat ideas.

But then it ends with "And then the Deus ex Machina made them all into invincible supermen and they drew on their collective power and became super badass and they won the hopeless fight yaaaaaaaay".

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Khizan posted:

The problem with Deathstalker is that it's written by Simon R. Green. He's really pretty good at the worldbuilding aspects and coming up with interesting ideas, and I love how Deathstalker's world was set up. The rogue AIs of Shub, the Hadenmen, the espers. Some really neat ideas.

But then it ends with "And then the Deus ex Machina made them all into invincible supermen and they drew on their collective power and became super badass and they won the hopeless fight yaaaaaaaay".

It also has a serious problem with whoever has the narrative focus at the moment being an unstoppable superbadass and everyone else being complete chumps, which is really noticeable given that the focus jumps between half a dozen characters on a regular basis.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Rough Lobster posted:

The Stars My Destination had me in it's grip from the beginning with the insane survival scenario the protagonist has to endure. I was engrossed until the part when I realized how much of Monte Cristo was in it's DNA. That really weakened it's hold on me. I felt like the story could have gone so many places and the tribute stuff was absolutely the weakest part of the book and felt very unnecessary compared to the otherwise cool themes and ideas already present. Overall I thought it was decent at the end.

If you haven't read it, don't have the impression that it's a straight up remake with sci-fi trappings. It's not. Still, I was left a little cold by it. I'll need to check out the Demolished Man.
One thing I think you have to give The Stars My Destination credit for is that it has, for my money, maybe one of the most satisfying and complete endings of any book in the genre.

So for the past half a year I've been hitting up a lot of harder science-fiction. I just cleared through the Three Body Problem novels while also reading Dan Simmon's Hyperion, the combination of which has left me drained mentally and, to an extent, existentially, and I'm looking for something a bit lighter. Maybe something space-operay, but my past experience with that sub-genre hasn't been especially rewarding, so I guess I'm not sure what exactly I want.

Caveat: I do most of my reading through Audiobooks these days, so I'd love it if whatever I look at next is available in that form.

Basically, I'd love something more adventure oriented and softer, less confined by the cruel protocols of hard sci-fi. Hannu Rajaniemi was extremely up my alley in every way, in part because the science was so speculative that it might as well have been magic. I've read a few Culture books that I've really enjoyed but, again, they tend to get pretty heavy and I'd like something funner (and they have poor availability on audiobook). Any suggestions?

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Strange Matter posted:

One thing I think you have to give The Stars My Destination credit for is that it has, for my money, maybe one of the most satisfying and complete endings of any book in the genre.

So for the past half a year I've been hitting up a lot of harder science-fiction. I just cleared through the Three Body Problem novels while also reading Dan Simmon's Hyperion, the combination of which has left me drained mentally and, to an extent, existentially, and I'm looking for something a bit lighter. Maybe something space-operay, but my past experience with that sub-genre hasn't been especially rewarding, so I guess I'm not sure what exactly I want.

Caveat: I do most of my reading through Audiobooks these days, so I'd love it if whatever I look at next is available in that form.

Basically, I'd love something more adventure oriented and softer, less confined by the cruel protocols of hard sci-fi. Hannu Rajaniemi was extremely up my alley in every way, in part because the science was so speculative that it might as well have been magic. I've read a few Culture books that I've really enjoyed but, again, they tend to get pretty heavy and I'd like something funner (and they have poor availability on audiobook). Any suggestions?
I just got through Ken Liu's Grace of Kings at the beach and found it delightfully simple and easy to read. Not exactly scifi, but really light fantasy. Very different from what I normally read, but I loved it.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I recommend Cosmicomics by Italo Calvino.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Vorkosigan Saga should scratch the "softer SF with an adventure orientation" itch nicely.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

Number Ten Cocks posted:

Anyone who enjoys the Star Wars novels will probably be happy with them. I really feel they're poo poo, albeit with a compelling opening scene and general backstory that the authors aren't skilled enough to deliver on.

Xotl fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Feb 27, 2017

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Strange Matter posted:

Try Neal Asher's Polity series. The Skinner is an especially good start if you like hilarious and homicidal alien ecosystems; it's set on what's basically Space Australia with even more ridiculously dangerous wildlife and the main protagonists include a man who works for a swarm of hornets and a cop so stubborn he's a preserved corpse still trying to hunt down a particularly evil gang of war criminals.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Runcible Cat posted:

Try Neal Asher's Polity series. The Skinner is an especially good start if you like hilarious and homicidal alien ecosystems; it's set on what's basically Space Australia with even more ridiculously dangerous wildlife and the main protagonists include a man who works for a swarm of hornets and a cop so stubborn he's a preserved corpse still trying to hunt down a particularly evil gang of war criminals.
Not to mention several flavors of rear end in a top hat robot. Seconding the Spatterjay books, the rest of Asher is a lot weaker IMO.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Runcible Cat posted:

That sounds like a welcome reprieve before I jump into, I dunno, A Canticle for Leibowitz or something else that will make me want to stare blankly at the wall once I'm done. Like I did after I finished The Sparrow.

While I'm shopping for suggestion, my wife has been looking for some sci-fi with a good romance angle, which I've always found to be extremely hard to pin down. Any ideas? In the past she's tried reading both The Quantum Thief and The Diamond Age and got frustrated, but on the other hand her favorite novel is Anna Karenina and she loves Ray Bradbury and Stranger in a Strange Land it's not like she's illiterate, she's just got a low tolerance for high concept technobabble (which I love).

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Strange Matter posted:

While I'm shopping for suggestion, my wife has been looking for some sci-fi with a good romance angle, which I've always found to be extremely hard to pin down. Any ideas?

The Vorkosigan series pretty much goes full rom-com at times.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

anilEhilated posted:

Not to mention several flavors of rear end in a top hat robot. Seconding the Spatterjay books, the rest of Asher is a lot weaker IMO.
Sniper. Oh god there are no words for how much I love Sniper.

I like the rest of his Polity series too, but yeah, it's mainly for the AIs and drones. And insane wildlife. (No-one should bother with Gridlinked, though, you can can pick up the Cormac series from In the Line of Polity with no loss.)

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Strange Matter posted:

While I'm shopping for suggestion, my wife has been looking for some sci-fi with a good romance angle, which I've always found to be extremely hard to pin down. Any ideas? In the past she's tried reading both The Quantum Thief and The Diamond Age and got frustrated, but on the other hand her favorite novel is Anna Karenina and she loves Ray Bradbury and Stranger in a Strange Land it's not like she's illiterate, she's just got a low tolerance for high concept technobabble (which I love).

Depending on exact taste, All the Birds in the Sky by Charlie Jane Anders might suit.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Strange Matter posted:

It's not quite SF (it's got that basically-fantasy with SF overlays that was popular for a while) and it's not really romance but I think CS Friedman's Coldfire Trilogy might scratch the itch.

Either way I have a bit of an urge to reread it now lol.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Strange Matter posted:

As mentioned, The Vorkosigan Saga would be high on my list. If only because it will bring her to A Civil Campaign: A Comedy of Biology and Manners, which is wonderful book.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

flosofl posted:

As mentioned, The Vorkosigan Saga would be high on my list. If only because it will bring her to A Civil Campaign: A Comedy of Biology and Manners, which is wonderful book.

Have you seen the Reader's Companion ? It's a massively detailed breakdown of all the Regency-era references in ACC.

http://dendarii.com/accc.html

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Strange Matter posted:

I've been reading Kage Baker's stuff which is super accessible, fairly light, romance angled.

Her Company or Dr. Zeus series is about a society of time travellers that discovers that it's easier to make immortal cybernetic slaves to do all the time fuckery than it is to actually invest in doing it themselves. The series follows one of these slaves, who tend to be super competent and accomplished if only because of how long they've lived, as she lives her life through the centuries until she reaches the time her creators came from, falling tragically in love with either a mortal or one of her "co-workers".

Tor just re-issued them on e-book: http://www.tor.com/2016/03/29/rereading-kage-bakers-company-series-introduction/

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Feb 28, 2017

Wxhode
Mar 29, 2016

by R. Guyovich
This is better and certainly funnier than any of the short story nominees you'll see this year. The ultimate shaggy dog story with classical mythology and urban fantasy elements.

https://slatestarcodex.com/2017/02/27/a-modern-myth/

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
That was bad.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

It was pretty good, actually.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
It's fanfic-level burlesquing of mythology. I say fanfic because it's so occupied with trappings of Greek myth instead of their deeper meaning. Did you know Zeus sleeps around a lot? Ares is not just a chocolate bar!

The dialogue is not witty or funny, especially after Jack Vance and Ivy Compton-Burnett. It's just a laundry list of cutesy banalities.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Nah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Isn't that website from the guy who goes 'I'm not a nazi honest just all my buddies are nazis and some of them have some good ideas so i'll give them a platform'?