Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

The competition has taught me that Team Dancing Queens can't do poo poo about Trick Room teams.

And teams stuffed with nothing but Ultra Beasts and Tapus.

Other than that, I've won less than half of my matches, but I've had a few good wins. I've saved replays of the most interesting ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I went up against a shiny oricorio and a lilligant a few minutes ago, dancing queens are loving nasty no matter how good my type matchups are

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Pokemon 2017 Meta: Tapus, Ultra Beasts, and Mimmikyus, OH MY

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
i saw someone else using a shiny mimikyu and it was like we wore the same dress to prom

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

How many battles do I have to use before I get the mega stones?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
You have to do like 3

but you won't get them for like a month

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Man, it's not easy to get an Aurora Veil off in doubles. Only managed it once in 3 battles. First one, a shiny crobat 1-shot my ninetales with cross poison, and second match my opponent undersped with a drought torkoal. I set it up in the third match and won fairly easily though! This is my first time ever playing doubles, in any gen, it feels way more intimidating than singles.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I feel like doubles gives some more breathing room. You don't have to focus on being at a strict disadvantage if your other guy can back you up. I kinda like it more than singles.

Doubles just kinda has more risk to some moves. Like when you double down on beating a Tapu that particular turn, and of course THAT'S the one time they use protect in 15 turns :argh:

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Rangpur posted:

How do you change what facility you're offering to other people, anyway? I've got a couple of the fortune teller tents, though apparently not the desirable ones. But I'd at least like to offer people a 5 star dye house or lottery instead of a 1 star soda shop.

Which tents do you have? I still need any Kanto tent, Hoenn tent 1* and 3*, and Unova tent 1* and 5*. Although I can't actually afford to hire any stalls from other players because I spent most of my FC on the tents Zonohedron offered me and the rest on clothes, haha. Next Global Mission please Game Freak, and make it another easy one.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

What if protect only protected from the first attack

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011
After playing only doubles since December I have decided it's a way better format.

Also if you're running Aurora Veil Ninetales, you HAVE to give it a focus sash. Max Speed, timid nature.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Hammerite posted:

Which tents do you have? I still need any Kanto tent, Hoenn tent 1* and 3*, and Unova tent 1* and 5*. Although I can't actually afford to hire any stalls from other players because I spent most of my FC on the tents Zonohedron offered me and the rest on clothes, haha. Next Global Mission please Game Freak, and make it another easy one.

I think the next one is earning battle tree points

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
What's the quickest way to earn FC? I ran into a dude in my plaza offering a Rare Kitchen 5* for 1,500 and I'm about 300 short.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Hammerite posted:

Johto & Sinnoh 3*, alas. Those regions seem more common, but its probably just confirmation bias. If the next mission really is earning BP, I'm gonna feel dumb for clearing the initial tiers of the Battle Tree yesterday. (Except for Multi-battle because your initial partner suuuuucks.)

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

AlternateNu posted:

What's the quickest way to earn FC? I ran into a dude in my plaza offering a Rare Kitchen 5* for 1,500 and I'm about 300 short.

Get lots of fortune tents, wondertrade breedjects when the time is right.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
I have seen multiple Pelipers and Ninetails without their weather abilities in the IC so far. I can maybe understand the Ninetails because Ninetails is cool and some kid was probably using it but who the hell loves non-Drizzle Peliper?

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
it's called Ninetales

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Huh. Not finding any matches for the competition today. I know I wasn't doing well, but I didn't think I was beneath everyone's notice. :v:

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Rangpur posted:

Johto & Sinnoh 3*, alas. Those regions seem more common, but its probably just confirmation bias. If the next mission really is earning BP, I'm gonna feel dumb for clearing the initial tiers of the Battle Tree yesterday. (Except for Multi-battle because your initial partner suuuuucks.)

Because you have Sun, like me. 3 of the regions are Sun-specific and the other 3 are Moon-specific

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So a little while back I asked what would be a good poke to GTS in order to fill out my national dex. After trying a few I've found the answer: Durant. I've been able to get almost every single non-legendary I've asked for within an hour or so. If any of you need a Durant to breed for your own dex-filling, let me know. I will give you one and it will be named Mike Durant.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Hahaha, I just did a Wonder Trade with "David Bowie". It's a drat shame I'm not still "Prince", that woulda been... hilari-sad.

Oh and I just lost at Super Doubles Battle Tree at #48 because I swear to god the god drat battle screen said Drain Punch was Super Effective on Sableye, which I took to mean I'd already Foresighted him (I hadn't, I'd done his partner Palossand). So I credit that wasted turn with my loss. Which I wouldn't be mad about if not for the fact that it takes FIVE loving HOURS OF PLAY to get to that point. BLUGGGGGGGGGGHPISSFUCK

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Silver Falcon posted:

The competition has taught me that Team Dancing Queens can't do poo poo about Trick Room teams.

What is Team Dancing Queens made out of?

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Woo, I won a couple of games!

Even if my opponent D/Ced at the end of one of them because Pokémon Goo the Muk-A somehow outstalled their Celesteela (although having a fresh Mimikyu come off the bench towards the end helped. I'd honestly forgotten about Ghost Trick in that battle up until that point).

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Munin posted:

Silver Falcon posted:

I realized with the next online competition being a weird format (3v3 doubles), it'd be the perfect time to try out a weird gimmick team I blatantly stole from someone who posted it awhile back!

Oricorio (Pom-Pom forme), Timid, Dancer @???
252 HP/34Def/224 Spe

Revelation Dance
Air Slash
HP Ice/Tailwind/Helping Hand/Roost
Protect

Lilligant, Timid, Own Tempo @Leftovers
4HP/252 Sp. Atk/252 Spe

Petal Dance
Quiver Dance
Sleep Powder
Synthesis

Team Dancing Queens! Only issue is I don't know a good third to round out their ensemble. Volcarona would be the obvious choice, but the contest rules say Alolan Dex only, so nuts to that idea. If it let's me double up on things I could use two dancing birbs, but I don't know if that would be too much dancing for one team to handle?

Also don't know what a good held item would be for my Pom-Pom friend.

Suggestions welcome! I don't care about winning with this team, I just want to battle enough to get my Megastones and have fun along the way.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Munin posted:

It's Oricorio (Pom-Pom) + Own Tempo Lilligant Lead. The idea is to get a Quiver Dance off with Lilligant, which dancing birb copies with Dancer, then have Lillgant Petal Dance forever (which the birb also copies).

Sometimes it works, most of the time it doesn't. It's still fun.

Just now, though, team Dancing Queens justified itself and the whole tournament.

BZLW-WWWW-WWW5-L7XS

DANCE OFF DANCE OFF!

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Nice. :D

Network42
Oct 23, 2002
Is there any prize to this tournament other than the participation mega stones? I went 3-1 last night, is there a reason to play more or am I set?

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011
I had a 1600+ Japanese player disconnect this morning on turn 1 after I one-shotted his Gyarados with freeze dry. Lol

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Network42 posted:

Is there any prize to this tournament other than the participation mega stones? I went 3-1 last night, is there a reason to play more or am I set?

Fun

Network42
Oct 23, 2002
Not in doubles.

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!
I mistook Feb 24th as the entry date for the tourney. Have they announced another way to get the mega stones? I just won't feel complete as a human being until I can unlock the full potential of Beedrill and I Forgot What The Other One Is.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The other one is Mawile, which is a shame because I forgot about the tournament.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Network42 posted:

Not in doubles.

Doubles rules but I mean triples would be better sure.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Didn't they say they were going to give the mega stones out to the population at large 3 months after the tournament participants get them?

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I don't think they gave an exact number of months yet, but yeah, everyone else will get a universal code a few months later.

Edit: I was breeding Cubones and got a second Adamant with 31 in everything but SpAtk. Does anyone want it? It unfortunately does not have Lightning Rod.

Hrist fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Feb 26, 2017

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Does anyone have a good battle royal team or should I just spam explosion and self destruct until I'm done

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

FishBulb posted:

Does anyone have a good battle royal team or should I just spam explosion and self destruct until I'm done

Explosion/SD is a pretty bad idea since 1) teams will use Protect a lot, 2) the damage of Explosion/SD is nerfed significantly in that format, and 3) your own KOd pokemon count heavily against you.

I bred an Alolan Muk with Gunk Shot, Knock Off, Shadow Sneak, and Minimize, holding a Black Sludge. Minimize 2-3 times, then either Gunk Shot what you can 1HKO or use Shadow Sneak to snipe a kill. Getting 1-2 KOs without losing your own will often net you first place.

(Rest of my team was a Aegislash and Salamance from my singles team.)

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

FishBulb posted:

I did Silvally with Swords Dance and Explosion, Mimikyu (I think...), and then Celesteela to make sure I wasn't the person to get knocked out. Took me like 3-4 tries at the third rank then 2-3 at the final rank to win and get the pretty princess throwing style.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

FishBulb posted:

Mimikyu works really well in the Royal. Disguise should let you get a Swords Dance off, then you can snipe kills with Shadow Sneak. I won the Master rank pretty handily with Mimikyu, with Dragonite and Celesteela as backup. I never had to use the Celesteela, but Dragonite's Multiscale was helpful in letting it get off a Dragon Dance and start ripping things to shreds with Outrage or Earthquake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

iPodschun posted:

I did Silvally with Swords Dance and Explosion, Mimikyu (I think...), and then Celesteela to make sure I wasn't the person to get knocked out. Took me like 3-4 tries at the third rank then 2-3 at the final rank to win and get the pretty princess throwing style.

Lefty style best style :colbert: On that note, if you use lefty, you still throw balls to capture righty :ughh:

e:

Silver Falcon posted:

Mimikyu works really well in the Royal. Disguise should let you get a Swords Dance off, then you can snipe kills with Shadow Sneak. I won the Master rank pretty handily with Mimikyu, with Dragonite and Celesteela as backup. I never had to use the Celesteela, but Dragonite's Multiscale was helpful in letting it get off a Dragon Dance and start ripping things to shreds with Outrage or Earthquake.

How long did you have to farm SOS battles to get a multiscale Dragonite :stare:

Also, what was the Mimikyu setup you used, because I wanna farm BP to get at least some items.

iospace fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Feb 26, 2017