Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
what's hilarious about Anastasia is that everyone I've ever had a conversation about it with initially thinks it was a Disney movie, and is SHOCKED when I tell them it wasn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Spatula City posted:

what's hilarious about Anastasia is that everyone I've ever had a conversation about it with initially thinks it was a Disney movie, and is SHOCKED when I tell them it wasn't.

It's not surprising because almost all the marketing for the movie, even to the recent Blu-Ray, is trying to fool you into thinking it's a Disney Princess movie.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Timeless Appeal posted:

It depends on the film. When you get to Anastasia, it can often be off-putting. In general I don't think the Disney Renaissance's clean colors, full animation, and more exaggerated human characters has necessarily aged well. There is a lot in Beauty and the Beast and Aladdin that frankly looks like good TV animation instead of breathtaking spectacle. Prince Ali is a good example of a musical number that just isn't as impressive looking as I remember. Whereas the big numbers in All Dogs Go to Heaven or the finale to Land Before Time hit the same punches they did for me as a kid.

But his latter stuff is heavily reliant on rotoscoping to the point of hitting the uncanny valley. Like once you start focusing on Anastasia's face in this number it becomes unnerving. From a distance it looks definitely cinematic and what I think people remember 90s Disney movies looking like. But up close it's animated Greg Land.

By "golden age" I meant stuff like Bambi, Fantasia, Pinocchio - you know, the ones where really horrific/surreal poo poo happens. Bluth's aesthetics is just the wedding of classic Disney hyperrealism to modern scandal and obscenity. He's like Ralph Bakshi with a Protestant work ethic and no satire.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Was Red Turtle a mix of traditional and CG animation? Becuase there were parts I swore were CG that they managed to make look 2D really fuckin' well.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

K. Waste posted:

By "golden age" I meant stuff like Bambi, Fantasia, Pinocchio - you know, the ones where really horrific/surreal poo poo happens. Bluth's aesthetics is just the wedding of classic Disney hyperrealism to modern scandal and obscenity. He's like Ralph Bakshi with a Protestant work ethic and no satire.

Bluth's more fetishistic stuff lines up better with Ub Iwerks and Famous Studios, where cloying sentimentality abuts violent caricature.

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Hey grandma! Buy your grandkids this (not)Disney movie!

Itchy your leg dude what happened

Build-a-Boar fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Feb 25, 2017

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

K. Waste posted:

No I know what you meant.

And I agree. I think the ethos of Bluth's movies is one that matches up with something like Dumbo or Pinocchio even if they don't seem like it at first glance. But that's not what the Disney Renaissance was drawing from. Snow White, Cinderella, and Sleeping Beauty were definitely the bigger influence, but they don't really look or feel like those movies either. They're aesthetic is closest to Alice in Wonderland or Peter Pan.

Bluth's later work is definitely a reaction to the Disney Renaissance, but one that I think tries to be more faithful to movies like Snow White, Cinderella, and Sleeping Beauty. In short, Belle doesn't look like the more classical Disney princesses whereas Thumbelina definitely does. Thumbelina and Anastasia look like the true modern version of something like Snow White. But there's also still loving weird movies--Thumbelina more so than Anastasia. And I find them ultimately more unnerving than something like All Dogs Go to Heaven that is weird in all of its aspects. Thumbelina isn't just about the weird over animation and rotoscoping. It's like if you combined the looks of Dumbo and Snow White into one movie.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Build-a-Boar posted:

Whoever drew this should have their hands cut off. Or reattached. Maybe thats the problem.

LeJackal fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Feb 25, 2017

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
What's wrong with HER face, goddamn. Like what they just used some references and went ah gently caress it WING IT.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Shindragon posted:

What's wrong with HER face, goddamn. Like what they just used some references and went ah gently caress it WING IT.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

If I didn't know better and you told me this was from Pinocchio I'd believe you.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

I'll never "get" the neverending hair swoosh.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Unmature posted:

If I didn't know better and you told me this was from Pinocchio I'd believe you.

The colouring's right, but the shape of the face doesn't fit. Neither does the dog reflected in the eyes, but that's just being pedantic.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Samuel Clemens posted:

Neither does the dog reflected in the eyes, but that's just being pedantic.

What? I always have something canis related in my eyes.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

LeJackal posted:

What? I always have something canis related in my eyes.

Ruh roh!

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Build-a-Boar posted:

Hey grandma! Buy your grandkids this (not)Disney movie!

poo poo like this makes me feel better about myself as an artist. "Well they got work..."

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Das Boo posted:

poo poo like this makes me feel better about myself as an artist. "Well they got work..."

Daaance party!

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21F3918jpok

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

:stare:

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Spatula City posted:

Since Bluth was doing Disney stuff for years and was one of their top animators before he hosed off and poached a bunch of their talent, it's not surprising that his stuff looks and sounds a lot like Disney.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I hate that stupid harlequin bird.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Timeless Appeal posted:

In general I don't think the Disney Renaissance's clean colors, full animation, and more exaggerated human characters has necessarily aged well.

Though I hate to admit it, I know exactly what you mean. I did feel this way when I rewatched Beauty and the Beast on blu-ray. Still an excellent film with excellent music, but the animation isn't nearly as perfect as I remember it. Whereas stuff like Fantasia, proper Bluth movies, and The Prince Of Egypt hold up perfectly well. Actually, I'd put Hunchback in that lineup too.

(Perfect username for that post, BTW)

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Random thought, but all this talk about non-Disney animated films from the '90s reminded me that I kinda liked The Swan Princess back in the day.

And, uh, its first two sequels. Even though I expect, if any of the three hold up on rewatching as an adult, it'd only be the first one.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I hate that stupid harlequin bird.

And his fat arms!

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Don't size shame that bird

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Saw Rock Dog earlier today. It wasn't bad if you keep your expectations low. As good as Lego Batman? No, not in the least. But it's alright.

I liked the animation, especially towards the end when Bodi used his uh... magical guitar powers to make the wolves leave. The story is weird and cliches though.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

ThermoPhysical posted:

Saw Rock Dog earlier today. It wasn't bad if you keep your expectations low. As good as Lego Batman? No, not in the least. But it's alright.

I liked the animation, especially towards the end when Bodi used his uh... magical guitar powers to make the wolves leave. The story is weird and cliches though.

Was Rock Dog better or worse than Storks?

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Knowing the real-life context makes it impossible for me to watch All Dogs any more, it's just way too depressing - especially realizing she was only eight years older than me, there's something jarring about the horrific incident, and realize at the time, she was much, much closer to our ages, we got to grow up - she didn't.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

ThermoPhysical posted:

Cant wait to rock that dog

I'm watching Titan A.E.! I've seen it before but I remember next to nothing. I love how aggressively ugly this universe is. All the aliens are hideous, it's great :allears:

Another hideous part of the movie is the circa-2000 nu metal soundtrack :barf:

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Hedrigall posted:

Cant wait to rock that dog

:stare:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
You know, I just realized: if you spend even 15 minutes thinking about what to title a movie about a (magical?) dog who plays rock music, "Doghouse Rock" should occur no later than halfway through that thought process. There might be something better that I didn't get to because I only thought about it for five.

e: I guess Clifford the Big Red Dog beat them to it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRZC71NWV5c

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It's the Great Mouse Detective problem.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Now I just want to make an actually good rock-dog movie and name it after Nazareth's "Hair of the Dog": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCDhZpw8CSM

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Pick posted:

It's the Great Mouse Detective problem.

The Aristocats.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Das Boo posted:

The Aristocats.

THE GIRL WHO SEEMED TO DIE

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

You know, I just realized: if you spend even 15 minutes thinking about what to title a movie about a (magical?) dog who plays rock music, "Doghouse Rock" should occur no later than halfway through that thought process. There might be something better that I didn't get to because I only thought about it for five.

e: I guess Clifford the Big Red Dog beat them to it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRZC71NWV5c

Bark Me Amadeus

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

to be fair it's produced by a chinese company and based off of a chinese graphic novel, so the pun might not have been apparent to the original graphic novel writer (who's also involved with the final film despite how different it apparently is)

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Since they live in a remote mountain village I bet the Rock Dog title was supposed to have a double meaning, rock as in mountain, rock as in music.

It probably got a little lost in translation.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Rock Dog: MTV Unleashed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.
Just saw the Oscar shorts for this year. They were all pretty good except for the cowboy one (Creative Writing 101 story with Pixar animation) and the one with the chick who could see into the past and future (HEY GUYS DO YOU SEE THE METAPHOR YET IT'S SO CLEVER DO YOU SEE IT HUH!?).