Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

Consummate Professional posted:

Lady dynamite really grew on me. Crazy ex girlfriend sounds really good. I heard it has a lotta songs

yeh it does

crazy ed ballfriend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Schnorkles posted:

special election votes are always comically low

I mentioned this earlier, but it looks like republican turnout was 16% lower than the 2014 midterm (which is always low anyway) and democratic turnout was up 17%.

While Trump is galvanizing democrats, he also may be demoralizing the ever-loving poo poo out of republicans.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Squizzle posted:

uh so is the technocracy tho as shown here

I'd be a Son of Ether.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

Slamhound posted:

I mentioned this earlier, but it looks like republican turnout was 16% lower than the 2014 midterm (which is always low anyway) and democratic turnout was up 17%.

While Trump is galvanizing democrats, he also may be demoralizing the ever-loving poo poo out of republicans.

That's about a normal special election decrease to my mind. The massive jump on the dem side is more interesting and bears watching moving forward.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

rumble in the bunghole posted:

The loving strange part is the 2 lady m&ms are in a gay relationship

thats not a joke
for real?

Big Fat Iguana posted:

Does Delaware have Vote By Mail? If not, there's your problem.
Nothing robust like Oregon.

Lady dynamite really grew on me. Crazy ex girlfriend sounds really good. I heard it has a lotta songs
Crazy Ex-Girlfriend is great. I think it's the best comedy on the air, if not the best show. I feel like The Americans might be the best thing currently airing though.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Nichael posted:

Also, Sense 8's a good show.

Mods?

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
ive played table top games like 4 times in my life and two of them were with a dude who ran it as the players being part o the technocracy snuffing out mages who disturb the reality consensus and it was cool

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Schnorkles posted:

That's about a normal special election decrease to my mind. The massive jump on the dem side is more interesting and bears watching moving forward.

yeah what schnorkles said

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

My Moms Penis posted:

Ugh, I can't believe people think stuff like this is funny.

Look I'm not racist I just don't find brown M&Ms attractive okay.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Sense 8's great, and I'll fight anyone saying otherwise. I've been listening to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAwSQq44O_U a lot since the Christmas episode too; it has a good soundtrack.

Schnorkles posted:

Let's be honest, they came out to vote because I'm the cutest canvasser they ever met.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

BUILD THE WALL

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

Nichael posted:

for real?

Nothing robust like Oregon.

Crazy Ex-Girlfriend is great. I think it's the best comedy on the air, if not the best show. I feel like The Americans might be the best thing currently airing though.

I trust you're opinion a lot so I will check it out

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

thankfully we have elections to hyperfocus on and hyperventilate about ALL YEAR [in republican districts no less]

and then next year is midterms :sun:

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Schnorkles posted:

Are special elections generally lower than midterms? Don't republicans generally have higher turnout overall? The Delaware thread indicated that Trump and Pence were really pushing.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Nonsense posted:

BUILD THE WALL

but what if they fly over the wall?

turmp supportes: Build a dome! Send them home!

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

washington, oregon, and colorado are the only places in the USA with mail-only voting, and colorado only started it last year. i have never been sure why some goons think that it's the norm rather than the exception

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Nonsense posted:

BUILD THE WALL

LOCK HER UP

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Slamhound posted:

Are special elections generally lower than midterms? Don't republicans generally have higher turnout overall? The Delaware thread indicated that Trump and Pence were really pushing.

NPR said the election was a gauge as to whether the electorate was displeased with chaos in Trump's White House, so hopefully more run with that.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

cumshitter posted:

ive played table top games like 4 times in my life and two of them were with a dude who ran it as the players being part o the technocracy snuffing out mages who disturb the reality consensus and it was cool
I want someone to play the Dragon Age RPG with but I never played a real life RPG before and I barely know anyone who would. I know enough about that dumb gay setting to role play to a tragically accurate degree.

I trust you're opinion a lot so I will check it out
Thanks! And actually, Veep's probably the best comedy on the air in terms of laughs per second, but Crazy Ex-Girlfriend is a very close second.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Slamhound posted:

Special elections are always lower than set elections yeah. In general, republican groups have higher turnout %'s, but it depends. It kinda goes vice-versa in the NE in particular where old white people tend to be democrat instead of republican.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Nichael posted:

Thanks! And actually, Veep's probably the best comedy on the air in terms of laughs per second, but Crazy Ex-Girlfriend is a very close second.

Yeah Veep fuckin owns I just don't know if it can keep up with real life

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Nonsense posted:

NPR said the election was a gauge as to whether the electorate was displeased with chaos in Trump's White House, so hopefully more run with that.

yeah there's def a narrative-building element to the delaware election

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Nichael posted:

I want someone to play the Dragon Age RPG with but I never played a real life RPG before and I barely know anyone who would. I know enough about that dumb gay setting to role play to a tragically accurate degree.

i was an english major and for my final paper class for my ba i took a piers plowman class by a teacher who was involved in the weirldy existing cottage industry of talking about piers plwoman

long story short for people not familiar with this old rear end epic poem: it basicaly tells the plague decimated labor base of 1400's england not to ask for higher wages or to let themselves get hired away by lords in other parts of england wiling to pay higher wages

i would totally roll a fox news cleric telling poor people to embrace poverty in the face of an immensely labor positive market and say poo poo like, "Did you know, 99.9% of people have a cool, dry hole in which they can store hardtack????"

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Louie Anderson seriously plays like the most tragic woman god drat

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Delaware was important, but it was always the Dems to lose.

Other elections this year that will help set where we are and what's going on:

GA-06: How close can the dems get? [i don't think they'll win.]

SC [Mulvaney's district]: How close?

MT-at large: Do the counties revolt and call for Bullock's head on a pike? Is this any different from normal? [Real talk this is a winnable seat. Zinke was particularly well liked among the native american population in Montana and it always made him seem stronger. Statewide R's don't actually have a good candidate with full state appeal rn.]

VA Gov: Winnable, should be easily winnable.

VA House: Now we're talking :getin:

NJ Governor: Lol christie ruined the party for a generation.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

I also can't remember if Montana is a county commiss. special election. It might be.

In that case its an R hold.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Dolash posted:

Look I'm not racist I just don't find brown M&Ms attractive okay.

It's cool that Eddie Van Halen is a goon.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Junkyard Poodle
May 6, 2011

Now I want classic trump piss on mouth gif :(

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

Baloogan posted:

LOCK HER UP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rBr_WLQsFc

never froget

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

Dolash posted:

I wonder what Republicans would even do all day if they block granted Medicaid and privatized social security (and whatever to Medicare I forget what their dream was there)? The MIC's already got an unlimited money hose and anything they don't like regulation-wise or from one of the departments evaporates on contact whenever they control the White House, I guess maybe they'd get around to overturning all social progress since 1950 like their base wants?

as long as there is at least one liberal on the planet there will be a republican moron ready to get offended at whatever the liberal wants to do

"oh sure, Thugg say we should see what on other side of mountain, but Grugg say NO, because it STUPID"

"but Grugg, this side of mountain just desert and bones"

"Grugg great-father ate only bones, and he LIKE it, good enough for him, good enough for Grugg, good enough for YOU"

Grugg is elected chief in landslide victory, Thugg supporters have their skulls caved in by rocks while they sleep

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

tacodaemon posted:

yeah there's def a narrative-building element to the delaware election

If Trump sufficiently takes over the Republican brand that people turn out against any Republican they can, that might be a viable path for the Democrats to start regaining some ground at the state level.

Of course in a two party system, when one party is completely on the ropes, the only two things that can happen are that it bounces back or dies and a new party absorbs its base and takes its place, so more than likely the Democrats are due to bounce back no matter what they do. That might be why there's such a fight to take control of the ruins of the party at the moment, since whoever's in place to ride the anti-Trump backlash back into power has a good shot at their agenda.

All this assumes that the Trump era will play out like American politics mostly has for the last few decades, of course. Maybe he'll outlaw the Democrats or limit voting rights to permanently cripple them or just incinerate us all in nuclear hellfire while we bicker.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
please do not gently caress and cum in the candy bowl

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

If you all had voted for Boris Todbringer instead of Karl Franz then Archaon wouldn't have blown up the world and forced us to play Age of Sigmar.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Dolash posted:

If Trump sufficiently takes over the Republican brand that people turn out against any Republican they can, that might be a viable path for the Democrats to start regaining some ground at the state level.

Of course in a two party system, when one party is completely on the ropes, the only two things that can happen are that it bounces back or dies and a new party absorbs its base and takes its place, so more than likely the Democrats are due to bounce back no matter what they do. That might be why there's such a fight to take control of the ruins of the party at the moment, since whoever's in place to ride the anti-Trump backlash back into power has a good shot at their agenda.

All this assumes that the Trump era will play out like American politics mostly has for the last few decades, of course. Maybe he'll outlaw the Democrats or limit voting rights to permanently cripple them or just incinerate us all in nuclear hellfire while we bicker.

i'm sorta betting on the 'the cycle goes on and capital wins' option myself

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

mormonpartyboat posted:

please do not gently caress and cum in the candy bowl

what the gently caress do you call your butthole then???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Schnorkles posted:

i'm sorta betting on the 'the cycle goes on and capital wins' option myself

War! and capital will fight to destroy the enemy, us all!!

• Locked thread