Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

hifi posted:

avatars probably but my understanding is pms and search use significantly more resources than something not bolted on to 2001 era vbulletin

a yes, PMs, storing and retrieving text is very resource intensive. so much so that every free forum on the internet offers it, but special flower SA can't do it.

I understand monetization and I'm fine with paying for PMs, but pretending like it's something difficult is either an admission of gross incompetence or a straight up lie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

http://imgur.com/a/ELX03 looks more accurate.

Just look at Wordpress code if you want to see how bad vBulletin code is, spaghetti code supreme. I could not work with that at all.

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i don't think that'd be wise really, would shed more posters than you'd think.

No one would leave and the new place would be filled with threads in days.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

eric posted:

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc

eric posted:

Yeah but why not seamlessly migrate in order to include already existing threads and the archives? It'd be a smoother experience for everyone.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

The Management posted:

I understand monetization and I'm fine with paying for PMs, but pretending like it's something difficult is either an admission of gross incompetence or a straight up lie.

yep, it's one of those

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

rear end posted:

Yeah but why not seamlessly migrate in order to include already existing threads and the archives? It'd be a smoother experience for everyone.

you know that you can just export the threads from the current database and import them into the new one in a batch job, right?

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

rear end posted:

Because it's difficult, expensive, and will take a long time to do. If lowtax decides to migrate to xenforo he's going to be surprised how much it will cost to pay someone competent to do it and how long it will take

eric fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Feb 26, 2017

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:
hopefully xenforo has crazy rear end features like paginating the private message list so it doesn't crash the forums by loading+templating all of a user's messages

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

LinYutang posted:

hopefully xenforo has crazy rear end features like paginating the private message list so it doesn't crash the forums by loading+templating all of a user's messages

a feature that would take any competent web developer literally minutes to implement.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I didn't get a chance to lol at this.

lol

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

The Management posted:

a feature that would take any competent web developer literally minutes to implement.

you're more than welcome to volunteer

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvHbXoNFMz4&t=214s

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

CrazyLittle posted:

you're more than welcome to volunteer

lmao. I don't do free work for other people's businesses.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
at least ten percent of users won't migrate to the new site if you need to change passwords or even log in again; they should sure try to streamline that process as much as possible

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

either way, fairly likely some sane migration to xenforo would be possible, will have to see what they come up with

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I just want to be able to search all the archived threads.

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO

Silver Alicorn posted:

behead those who insult gentoo :black101:

:agreed:

Also for those who didn't look at the imgur in that picture on the first page, it's truly a masterpiece: http://imgur.com/a/ELXO3

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

du -hast posted:

Also for those who didn't look at the imgur in that picture on the first page, it's truly a masterpiece: http://imgur.com/a/ELXO3

lol

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
looks bad todd

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

du -hast posted:

:agreed:

the imgur page is killing chrome for me for some reason

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

The Management posted:

lmao. I don't do free work for other people's businesses.

now you get it

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
guys, I figured it out.

we'll all take turns writing the new forums. kinda like open source, but instead of each person writing a section of code, we'll each write a single line of code and the next person will write the next line.

we should have the new forums done in no time.

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

two more sprints and we should have something shippable

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
first we have to agree on a tab style

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

The Management posted:

first we have to agree on a tab style

nah, we'll use a forum thread to code it. I'll write a parser that will strip out everyone's post and compile it. that way we'll know who's responsible for which line, and you can go back and edit your post if there's an error.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
i am here to lol

Lowtax posted:

The dude who was going to rewrite them from scratch has been swamped with work and hasn't been progressing as much as he initially claimed, so right now I'm talking to the Xenforo people about a custom migration to their platform.

lol

pram
Jun 10, 2001
is kickplarper still happening though

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
so is it going to be written in some new fangled funkshinal lang?

i can't wait for it to fail and laugh in the PL thread

oh i guess it already failed before it even started

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

xenforo is php lol

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i hope things go well for lowtax and i don't have an opinion beyond that

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

pram posted:

is kickplarper still happening though

my $0.02 speculation is this: goon saw the initial call for xenforo mod programmers from lowtax on twitter, thought "i can do this better" and told lowtax he'd rewrite from scratch to guarantee foward/backwards compatibility. knocked out a rough prototype in elixir and said, "ok here's the start now pay me" and lowtax never got the kickparper off the ground because reasons. no money = no codemonkey = no new forums. I'm betting new-radium figured this was his ticket to kjstumpfdom and a new job out of his current <job-he-hates>.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
no lowtax said he was a big deal coder so this was really more like noblesse oblige

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

TerminalRaptor posted:

nah, we'll use a forum thread to code it. I'll write a parser that will strip out everyone's post and compile it. that way we'll know who's responsible for which line, and you can go back and edit your post if there's an error.

oh we should start over in lisp

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
lowtax can't even afford to upload his new youtube videos at 720p

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

AWWNAW posted:

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

AWWNAW posted:

something something most nerds already speak with a lisp etc etc

pram
Jun 10, 2001
i can have this forum done in lisp in a week, two tops

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?

pram posted:

i can have this forum done in lisp in a week, two tops

http://www.nhplace.com/kent/PS/Hindsight.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Agile Vector posted:

something something most nerds already speak with a lisp etc etc

BOOOOOOOO

• Locked thread