Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The Automata demo is essentially the start of the game and if you die during it in the full game, you have to restart the entire game from the opening so I would recommend not hammering the demo too much from now until release/when you buy it.

I still haven't found a pair of combat bracers in the wild or for purchase. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

redreader posted:

2 questions!

1: I'm playing the original nier and what magic should I have equipped? I'm over halfway in playthrough #1 and probably have most/all of the magic spells.
2: I finished the nier: automata demo, is there a thing I need to do in order to get a bonus item or whatever, for when I play the main game?

Dark Lance is something you should never be without and I think I switched between Dark Blast (for bullet hells), the fist for a quick close range attack, and the one that ricochets you between every enemy you caught in the "charging" circle for when there was a lot of small enemies.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
About 9 hours in now, taking my time with exploration and side quests though. Game's got a lot more charm than I was expecting when I started, the machines themselves have so much personality. They're some of my favorite parts.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

arisu posted:

About 9 hours in now, taking my time with exploration and side quests though. Game's got a lot more charm than I was expecting when I started, the machines themselves have so much personality. They're some of my favorite parts.

I really love all the ways they find to differentiate themselves

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

They're so adorable.

I'm so worried they're all going to die

exser
Aug 18, 2003

Just got the second ending. Does anyone know how may there are and what you need to do to get them?

I think I read that there are 4 main endings, A-D, and you just replay to get them, and then there are a few that I stumbled upon with early deaths. Wondering if there is anything like in the first game where you need every weapon or whatever.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

exser posted:

Just got the second ending. Does anyone know how may there are and what you need to do to get them?

I think I read that there are 4 main endings, A-D, and you just replay to get them, and then there are a few that I stumbled upon with early deaths. Wondering if there is anything like in the first game where you need every weapon or whatever.

There are 5 real endings, up to E apparently. There's enough joke endings to fill up the entire alphabet. I don't know how you go about getting them though.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

oh weird i think they changed some of the camera angles in the patches so that now you can see outside the world in places that you couldn't before :confuoot:

like they're substituting bugs for other bugs, thanks yoko taro

lol (no spoilers)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDybV35fvdA

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Feb 26, 2017

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I have a hot, non spoiler, scoop from the early buyers.

Rubbing your touchpad pets your lil buddy pod and it may or may not be the cutest thing

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
This game badly needs a "get the gently caress off my rear end when I'm trying to talk to people or loot stuff, 9s, you creeper, no I don't care what combat style you use, I will never care what combat style you use" button.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Tae posted:

Anyone know the name of the song that plays in the first gameplay trailer way back last year at the Paris games?
"Possessed By Disease"

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

It's my first time with a digital PS4 purchase and apparently it needs 40 hrs to download via wired connection? Is this normal?

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Man, aren't Platinum titles normally really polished on a technical level? I guess I haven't played any of them at release before, but I haven't run into any real bugs with any of the previous ones I've played.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Alder posted:

It's my first time with a digital PS4 purchase and apparently it needs 40 hrs to download via wired connection? Is this normal?

Put it on rest mode.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
I just completed Route A. This game has a lot more personality under the surface than I ever expected. I had a huge grin the entire section through the machine factory cult zones.

The soundtrack is particularly amazing. I'm taking a break tonight, but looking forward to starting route B tomorrow.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Alder posted:

Pause the download, wait a few seconds then resume it. It should pick a server that is closer to you and you will get much faster download speeds. Try it a few times if it doesn't work right away.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Welp gnite thread and hopefully it'll be over in 27 hrs

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

holy poo poo this music

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

Sorry if this has been addressed (I skipped over a bunch of posts to avoid potential spoilers) but I downloaded the game, it told me it was complete, I played thru the demo section and have been stuck at the System Check load screen for over an hour. What I want to know is if I stay on this screen will it eventually load? Or should I start the game over? If it's a bug I'd hate to waste time.

I wanted to congratulate Yoko for escaping the kusoge pit but of course there has to be soooomething lol. :argh:

Also I barely kept my poo poo together playing Normal! You Very Hard mofos are something else!

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

dazat posted:

Sorry if this has been addressed (I skipped over a bunch of posts to avoid potential spoilers) but I downloaded the game, it told me it was complete, I played thru the demo section and have been stuck at the System Check load screen for over an hour. What I want to know is if I stay on this screen will it eventually load? Or should I start the game over? If it's a bug I'd hate to waste time.

I wanted to congratulate Yoko for escaping the kusoge pit but of course there has to be soooomething lol. :argh:

Also I barely kept my poo poo together playing Normal! You Very Hard mofos are something else!

It's a bug they were supposed to fix so you'll have to restart. Hmm I'm thinking that a few more weeks of troubleshooting before USA release will help.

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

Alder posted:

It's a bug they were supposed to fix so you'll have to restart. Hmm I'm thinking that a few more weeks of troubleshooting before USA release will help.

Ahhhh thanks for the info. Now I see that I actually have another 45 minutes of download time left! That bites, but I ate it pretty bad before I got used to the controls (never got the chance to play the demo) so I'll use this opportunity to ace it next time.

See you guys after I complete the game! Happy NieRing! Take your time and have fun!

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Here's a pro-tip: if you're like me and you tend to do every possible side quest before advancing the main plot, it's still very worth it to at least get past the mission where you investigate the big hole in the ground before you go too side quest crazy. Minor spoiler (about a game mechanic, nothing story-wise): After that mission, you get fast travel between any access point you've unlocked. I wasted a LOT of time manually running everywhere to complete some of these side quests..

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Character spoilers:
Oh my god, Emil. You glorious little ball, just cruising around on a car with a festival version of your theme. :allears:

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

ending a thanks a lot square enix pr

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Josuke Higashikata posted:

There are 5 real endings, up to E apparently. There's enough joke endings to fill up the entire alphabet. I don't know how you go about getting them though.

Well, I just got ending K and I guess I should've assumed that I shouldn't eat anything given to me by someone named Jackass. Thanks Yoko Taro.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

No idea where I'm supposed to go for the Treasure Hunt in the Forest side quest, after I've constructed the key

e: There's a ladder to go down.

Also found the a set of combat bracers out in the open world in the Forest Zone. Do some platforming around the center of the map

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Feb 26, 2017

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
So people who have already beaten the game once through. Does this live up to the hype in terms of gameplay mechanics? For someone who doesn't care about Yoko Taro and his weird meta-universe, how is the game in terms of the combat? It had a lot of hype being a Platinum game. Is is as good as DMC & Bayonetta? I'm just coming off Nioh, and I feel like it's gonna be hard to top that.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's not a super in-depth combat game like Bayonetta or DMC, or Rising, which is less of one than those two games as well. It doesn't try to be one either. It's probably not even a fair comparison at heart.
I've not played Ni-Oh but that game also looks more technical than this one from what I've seen of it (quite a lot). It's deeper than a Souls or Bloodborne though if we're going to dive into that sub-genre of ARPG.

It's really what it says on the tin, it's as if Platinum made an action RPG with their tight, responsive combat but it's still an ARPG and bound by the general rules of one. It's awesome, but it's not what you're looking for if you want Bayonetta 3.

You can just play the demo because it gives a very good impression of the combat mechanics (and a pretty poor impression of everything else because it doesn't lead you to believe that this game is ARPG to its very core). If you like the combat of the demo, you'll like the real thing.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

So I just noticed that pressing in both analogue sticks causes your character to self destruct unless you let go within two seconds. I don't know the function of this ability but then again this is the game that lets you pull out your own brain.

You can test this out yourself without looking at the spoiler but it's a good idea to be ready to let go quickly.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Mindblast posted:

So I just noticed that pressing in both analogue sticks causes your character to self destruct unless you let go within two seconds. I don't know the function of this ability but then again this is the game that lets you pull out your own brain.

You can test this out yourself without looking at the spoiler but it's a good idea to be ready to let go quickly.

I'm not sure it's a spoiler considering that it's literally there in the controls menu.

You can use that to remove 2Bs skirt. Although there's probably a specific use for it later.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Genocyber posted:

The actual game is out if you're willing to buy through the HK or JP PSN store. Full English and everything.
This was a few pages back but when you say the copy on the JP store is "full english" you mean everything from menus to subs to text to voice?

If I'm in the UK/EU how hard is it to buy games from other regions? Because that's mighty tempting.

exser
Aug 18, 2003

Pierson posted:

This was a few pages back but when you say the copy on the JP store is "full english" you mean everything from menus to subs to text to voice?

If I'm in the UK/EU how hard is it to buy games from other regions? Because that's mighty tempting.

Correct. Everything can be in english. If you launch it with a US profile, it'll start up that way and require 0 loving around with.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Pierson posted:

Yeah, it's full English. You just have to create an account with a dummy physical address on that region's store, then buy a few gift cards for that region from amazon or whatever. That's all.

Only potential downside is that DLC is region locked. So, if there is any you want, you'll have to buy it on the JP store as well. Probably not more than an inconvenience, but I believe there have been instances of DLC not having the same multi-language support as the full game. (Buying from the HK store would probably cover your rear end just fine. It's a much safer bet that anything sold there will have English support).

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Feb 26, 2017

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Another downside is that it's apparently £20 more for us here (thanks Brexit). :gonk: I think I'll just wait the two weeks.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Jack Trades posted:

You can use that to remove 2Bs skirt.

Relatedly: There's also a shop that sells something that prevents her from ever taking clothing damage too so if you never want to see it, you can make sure you don't.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Is this video game: good?

exser
Aug 18, 2003

Relatedly: There's also a shop that sells something that prevents her from ever taking clothing damage too so if you never want to see it, you can make sure you don't.

Can you spoil what the item is and what the shop is?

Slightly related, does anyone know what the deal with upgrading weapons past level 3 is, or how to get into those doors with the robots that blow themselves up?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

exser posted:

Can you spoil what the item is and what the shop is?

Slightly related, does anyone know what the deal with upgrading weapons past level 3 is, or how to get into those doors with the robots that blow themselves up?

I can spoil it but I won't because it's something best left discovered by yourself. The item though is very apparently the item I described. As for maxing your weapons, there's a Blacksmith in a later area, not very late, somewhat hidden who does it. Not sure about those doors, probably on a second/third playthrough, you can open them.

exser
Aug 18, 2003

I can spoil it but I won't because it's something best left discovered by yourself. The item though is very apparently the item I described. As for maxing your weapons, there's a Blacksmith in a later area, not very late, somewhat hidden who does it. Not sure about those doors, probably on a second/third playthrough, you can open them.

Yeah, I'm on my third playthrough, was thinking the same thing, but still nothing there.

Is the shop Emil? I found him, but may have missed the item, I tend to just speed "read" through lists and miss poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

exser posted:

Yeah, I'm on my third playthrough, was thinking the same thing, but still nothing there.

Is the shop Emil? I found him, but may have missed the item, I tend to just speed "read" through lists and miss poo poo

Yeah, it is. His stock rotates so you need to stop him every time and it might be there. I don't know how he works at his home base, I haven't found it yet.