Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
You know how the paint stirring sticks you get free from the HW store when you get a bucket of paint have that little curved in section?

It's not there to just be the "handle", it also helps you scrape paint of out the roller:
http://i.imgur.com/a6C5kjc.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

DrBouvenstein posted:

You know how the paint stirring sticks you get free from the HW store when you get a bucket of paint have that little curved in section?

It's not there to just be the "handle", it also helps you scrape paint of out the roller:

OH SON OF A BITCH

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

DrBouvenstein posted:

And paint can openers are also bottle openers.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

DrBouvenstein posted:

:aaa:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I think that's more a convenient coincidence, not design. Paint stir sticks, when I was a kid, were round dowels.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
The judge in My Cousin Vinnie is Herman Munster

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

AKA Pseudonym posted:

The judge in My Cousin Vinnie is Herman Munster

Ha's also Jud Crandall in Pet Cemetery.

"Some things are better off dead"

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

However, he is not Home Improvement's neighbour.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Jerry Cotton posted:

However, he is not Home Improvement's neighbour.

The fence would have needed to be a few feet higher

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

purple death ray posted:

The fence would have needed to be a few feet higher

Not if there's a ditch next to it :colbert:

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.
Today I learnt that I wasn't wrong for thinking it had been "buried the lead" all my life, and that "lede" is just an American thing.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

MisterBibs posted:

I just learned earlier today that there's a brand of rum called Mount Gay, and that it's supposedly a good, popular brand of rum.

Had it tonight (related to the thread topic, my girlfriend and bartender-for-years-before-that was vocally surprised that I never had rum before tonight), but I have no frame of reference.

Seen this in multiple threads now: how can you be an adult for multiple years without ever having had rum? Did you recently leave the Amish community?

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Seen this in multiple threads now: how can you be an adult for multiple years without ever having had rum? Did you recently leave the Amish community?

Lots of people don't drink, those that do don't necessarily drink spirits/mixers/cocktails, those that do haven't necessarily tried rum. :shrug:

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Jason Sudeikis and Ed Helms are two different people. I saw the end of We're the Miller's on a muted TV and thought they were doing a gimmick with the same guy playing two characters for a moment until I realized they had slightly different faces.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Hyperlynx posted:

Lots of people don't drink, those that do don't necessarily drink spirits/mixers/cocktails, those that do haven't necessarily tried rum. :shrug:

I'm Australia at least, rum is not a particularly popular spirit for young people, either. They'll typically drink bourbon or vodka. Box wine (goon) is also rather high on the list due to being able to gently caress yourself up on the cheap.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Baron Corbyn posted:

Jason Sudeikis and Ed Helms are two different people. I saw the end of We're the Miller's on a muted TV and thought they were doing a gimmick with the same guy playing two characters for a moment until I realized they had slightly different faces.

Ed Helms looks way more like Stephen Colbert than Jason Sudeikis. He doesn't wear glasses as much anymore but it was very confusing at times when they were both on the Daily Show.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Intoluene posted:

I'm Australia at least, rum is not a particularly popular spirit for young people, either. They'll typically drink bourbon or vodka. Box wine (goon) is also rather high on the list due to being able to gently caress yourself up on the cheap.

Everyone in Australia should know about rum. Kids these days...
For a long time rum was the only spirit distilled here (only recently was any other spirit distilled and they are mega expensive mircos anyway, rum is common still).
Bundaberg rum, inner circle rum and beenleigh rum

That said, Mt Gay is one of the better rums (better than aussie rum), and a good buy @ $40 if you can find it at that price. Sadly often priced much higher and you may as well by cheaper white spirits or whisky/ey as there's no such thing as a cheap rum worth drinking these days.

Fo3 has a new favorite as of 14:47 on Feb 26, 2017

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Henchman of Santa posted:

Ed Helms looks way more like Stephen Colbert than Jason Sudeikis. He doesn't wear glasses as much anymore but it was very confusing at times when they were both on the Daily Show.

There are plenty of white, dumpy actor guys out there.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

disregard

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
You all were talking about Bill Paxton a few pages back and now he's dead so I hope you're all happy.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Whitlam posted:

Today I learnt that I wasn't wrong for thinking it had been "buried the lead" all my life, and that "lede" is just an American thing.

I'm an American, and I've never seen "lede" in my life.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Ferrule posted:

You all were talking about Bill Paxton a few pages back and now he's dead so I hope you're all happy.

You lie

He's like one of my faves

Damnit, complications from surgery :(

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

rydiafan posted:

I have; I've actually never seen 'bury the lead'. It's usually in the context of an article with an attention-grabbing headline that doesn't tell the actual facts until the fifth paragraph. I've heard that 'lede' was adopted because it's hard to confuse with a soft heavy metal like 'lead' might be, but I don't know if that's true or just a folk etymology.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

rydiafan posted:

It's journalism jargon, not a popular usage, that's why.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Fo3 posted:

Everyone in Australia should know about rum. Kids these days...
For a long time rum was the only spirit distilled here
Oh right. The Rum Rebellion and all that.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Bill Paxton is not the president of the USA in the movie Independence Day.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

MariusLecter posted:

Bill Paxton is not the president of the USA in the movie Independence Day.

Well of course not he just plays one :rolleyes:

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Journalism jargon, especially anything related to editing, is intentionally misspelled to make it easier to make sure editorial notes don't make it into print

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Henchman of Santa posted:

I've always thought that Ed Helms and Jason Jones are practically identical, and it wasn't until quite a while after Ed Helms left the Daily Show that I realised they were two different people.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Thanks to the subs on tonight's Walking Dead I learned that corny 7 note song ending / door knocking pattern is known as: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shave_and_a_Haircut

Reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIpG0eggtpY

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

fullroundaction posted:

Thanks to the subs on tonight's Walking Dead I learned that corny 7 note song ending / door knocking pattern is known as: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shave_and_a_Haircut

Reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIpG0eggtpY

You should have learned this watching something better.

https://youtu.be/sDsgkRW2hDA

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
If it makes you feel any better I was embarrassed to admit it but I figured if I didn't source it someone would be like "I too watched the Walking Dead tonight :smug:". That's my cool story.

e: and I was background watching with the volume off and the subs on so I could watch youtube videos v:mad:v

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

rydiafan posted:

Roger rabbit is based on a real conspiracy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Motors_streetcar_conspiracy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrdVkbrLUIM

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Intoluene posted:

I'm Australian and I think Bundaberg rum was the first spirit I ever tried as a kid. Of course I moved on to Woodstock pretty quickly because it was so much cheaper but rum was always around. There was even a period in the mid 2000s where pubs had Bundaberg rum and coke on tap which was both amazing and awful.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

rydiafan posted:

You know how goons tend to seize upon a certain word or phrase and overuse it to death? It's cropping up all over at the moment with the "lede" spelling; it's probably only a matter of time before you see it (you 100% definitely will if you go to the r/relationships thread).

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

My friend and I went to Home Depot tonight and ended up in the aisle where they sell hand torches. I've owned and used a bunch of these in my life, had the torches and cans hanging out in my shop, walked down that aisle at Home Depot a hundred times. Tonight, I noticed the R in the brand name for the first time.

I pointed it out to my friend, who agreed that he'd always thought it was BENZ-omatic. (Like benzene, like a chemical thing? I dunno, it made enough sense that I believed it my whole life.) We Googled to see if maybe it was a recent addition, but nope. It's been spelled Bernzomatic since the company was founded 140 goddamn years ago. It's been this way since before the advent of powered flight.

Surely, we thought, that's just a silly spelling of BURNS because haha get it, fire burns stuff. But nope, the company was founded by a guy named Bernz - 140 years ago! It twists my melon.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

walrusman posted:

My friend and I went to Home Depot tonight and ended up in the aisle where they sell hand torches. I've owned and used a bunch of these in my life, had the torches and cans hanging out in my shop, walked down that aisle at Home Depot a hundred times. Tonight, I noticed the R in the brand name for the first time.

I pointed it out to my friend, who agreed that he'd always thought it was BENZ-omatic. (Like benzene, like a chemical thing? I dunno, it made enough sense that I believed it my whole life.) We Googled to see if maybe it was a recent addition, but nope. It's been spelled Bernzomatic since the company was founded 140 goddamn years ago. It's been this way since before the advent of powered flight.

Surely, we thought, that's just a silly spelling of BURNS because haha get it, fire burns stuff. But nope, the company was founded by a guy named Bernz - 140 years ago! It twists my melon.

Reality has bifurcated once again. (The first time was with the B̨̘͓̳͈̠̞̪̭̯͇̞̮̟̜̖͆͐̒ͧ́̓ͫ͒̂̑͢j̶̢̡̜͓͓̮̩̯̠̞̱̻̮͚̠̞̬̓ͧ͋͊̆ͧ͗ͧ́̚͢͝ö̧̺̼̯̣̳̤̘̬̣͎͓̫̠̼̙̓ͨ̏ͫͬͧ̏ͧ͟͡r̴̸̡͗̉̇̊̀̓͜͏̳̫̞͇͍̩̭̥̺͕͕ͅń̨̛̳̹͎̹̠̠̹̓̇̒ͥ̃ͮ̾̇̅̐̀͆͌ͮ̏͘͞e̢̢̨̠̙̫̣̮͇͓̣̯̮̻̦̣ͥ̑̈̿ͩ̾̑ͨ̓ͥ̚͟n̷̷͒̈́͒̋̓ͯͥ̎̄͗ͫ͋ͧ̉͋҉̩̝͍̰̮͎̖ş̵̛͉̦̹̺͇̖̹͓ͧ͆̿͛͛͋̊͊ͨ̔ͅs̴͙͈͍̫͓̻̗͍̘̈̒͋̒̅͛͒͌͢͞o̸̤̜̣̱͈͔̬̩̜̜̣͉͇ͯͧ̐ͭ̂̒ͮ͒ͤ̌̈͊ͦ͛ͅn̡̯̙̦̯̬̰ͯ̏͗ͬ̐͑ͩ̾̀ͩ̂ͥ̆ͥ͞ bears in case you didn't know.)

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I have purchased maybe a hundred cans of Benzomatic propane. I don't know what the gently caress you're talking about. What R?

Holy poo poo.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

This is like when I got engaged at Niagara Falls, not Niagra Falls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

rydiafan posted:

That's immediately what I thought as well. Also, why are so many people watching TWD with closed captioning?