Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

cakesmith handyman posted:

I'm learning so much from this thread. Mostly by bad PO example but still.

Hopefully it's not what to do to a rotary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

It's what not to do with a rotary.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Boost goes in, apex seals go out, but back into the vacuum catch can.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
Flashlight goes into heater core hose just doesn't have that zest I'm looking for.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Boost goes in, apex seals go out, but back into the vacuum catch can.

If the boost goes high enough the flashlight turns on. :v:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Direct-readout coolant overtemp diagnostic light. Just $179.99 from your local Snap-On distributor. Made in the U.S.A.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

OK, finally made it all the way through the thread!
I have now learned that I don't want Atkins apex seals or gaskets. Guess I bite the bullet and order from Mazdatrix or Pineapple if I need them.

That latest FC is certainly a showcase of PO fuckery.

I've probably mentioned in other threads that I own 7 RX-7s, 1 SA, 1 S2 and 3 S3 FBs (including two GSL-SEs), one S4 FC and 1 S5 FC. As you might expect, out of those 7 RX-7s, exactly 1 runs (the S5.) I've avoided the FDs, because I don't hate money. Also, I barely fit in the damned things. Somehow, the FBs and FCs have more headroom.

I picked up a spare S5 engine several years ago. The dingleberry that had it bought it as a spare for his autocross car, but stored it completely open - intake, exhaust, coolant, everything unplugged. It was at least in a garage. He also didn't dump any MMO or ATF into the chambers, and it was stuck when I got it. I got it unstuck using a tool made from an old starter for the purpose, but, of course, I have compression on only one face of one rotor. Looking inside, the seals are intact, and nothing looks beat up, but the apex seals are stuck in the grooves by carbon and smutz. Do you (or anyone else) have any suggestions for a chemical to dissolve said smutz? ATF doesn't appear to be strong enough. I'd really prefer to get this thing operable without cracking it open, since it's like $1000 just for all the damned soft seals. The plan is to drop this engine in my '79, which lost the oil control o-rings, and thus compression AND all the oil, some years ago.
I mean, if it has to come apart, it will, but I'm a cheap bastard (see the part where I don't own an FD. Or even a Turbo II.) The housings on the 12A are probably good, since it was the oil control rings that went, but I've not taken it apart, and it's not really cost-effective to rebuild a 12A.

I plan to sell the running FC and one of the GSL-SEs and dump that money into the '79. It's solid, but like a lot of old Japanese stuff, it needs the interior refreshed, and there was a rust issue in the rear quarter under the radio antenna that a PO let leak. Already has the suspension and rear axle from one of the aforementioned GSL-SEs, so has decent brakes and a common wheel bolt pattern. I really want that FrankenRex to live again, since it's literally my first RX-7, and was a bastardized mutt even before I got it (it had an S3 engine in it that I got properly wired up to run, and drove it until it coughed up an apex seal. Then I put in a '80 12A of barely known provenance, and ran that until it died.)

I really enjoy reading about your efforts to keep rotaries alive. Kinda inspirational. :) Makes me wish I lived closer, except for all that cold wet stuff in the winter (I'm a Texas boy, so that much snow is... evil, or something.)

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Dec 28, 2016

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

If you are looking for something for the carbon locked seals, try out http://www.lubecontrol.com/products/lc20-gallon.
They have a bunch of snake oil claims, but something it certainly DOES accomplish is turning solid carbon into a slimy lubricant / colloidal graphite. If you mix it with ATF at 70% LC20 to 30% ATF, it makes a penetrating oil that dissolves carbon. Pour that in the spark plug holes and turn it over with your tool occasionally over the course of a few days. There's a review by a chemical engineer over at the Bob is the Oil Guy forum that you can find here: http://www.lubecontrol.com/pages/dyson-analysis

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Commodore_64 posted:

If you are looking for something for the carbon locked seals, try out http://www.lubecontrol.com/products/lc20-gallon.
They have a bunch of snake oil claims, but something it certainly DOES accomplish is turning solid carbon into a slimy lubricant / colloidal graphite. If you mix it with ATF at 70% LC20 to 30% ATF, it makes a penetrating oil that dissolves carbon. Pour that in the spark plug holes and turn it over with your tool occasionally over the course of a few days. There's a review by a chemical engineer over at the Bob is the Oil Guy forum that you can find here: http://www.lubecontrol.com/pages/dyson-analysis

Dude!
That is exactly what I'm looking for. Thank you!
I'll let you know how it works.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Now that it's the new year, let's catch with a massive picture dump of what I've been up to the last few months. And I mean massive... I'll have to sort through this tomorrow on break. Until then, have fun trying to figure out which picture sets match.

And with that, good bye 2016!

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Horray, I see some bastard children of the rx family in there. Wanna know what you used on dem headlights though. (And how hard a rebuild on a renesis is)

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

As always, love to see you bringing back and un-loving these beautiful (FDs) cars.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
Hahaha that picture of the renesis acting like a mosquito fogger brings back good memorys. I worked at a Mazda dealer and was one of two techs who would do rotary. Every time they came in the shop would be a cheech and chong movie with all the smoke. Still would rather do rotary all day then the euro poo poo I do now.

Sgt Fox
Dec 21, 2004

It's the buzzer I love the most. Makes me feel alive. Makes the V8's dead.
Awesome. So much rotary fun. I laughed at the screen captures of the compression calculator.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Sgt Fox posted:

Awesome. So much rotary fun. I laughed at the screen captures of the compression calculator.

You are three man for creating that by the way. If you're ever in Alberta, I owe you a case of beer.

This thread once again does not disappoint. Excellent work. Any RX8 REW swaps in your future?

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
I want an FD so bad :smith:

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

You're doing RX8's now? I know lots of people hate on them, but I've alllllways wanted one.

Moreleth
Jun 11, 2001

lego my eggo
I love my RX8. Last night I was worrying over the engine...

The average car needs a $4000 engine replacement every 200,000 miles, maybe?
The average RX8 needs a $6000 engine replacement every 80,000 miles, maybe? So $15,000 worth of engines every 200,000? siiiiiggghhh. I'll miss it when it is gone.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
The one my folks has is at 130k on the original engine so far... but it seems highly variable.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
My mom's RX8 has 100k+ on it and it runs fine. We'll see where it goes in the next year or so, but it's been more or less flawless as a daily driver.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I'm happy you guys enjoy my antics. They are about to get even crazier, because why not? I have had exactly negative time the last few days due to work/life stuff, but hopefully I can clean up that dump of images with the stories later in the week. Until then it's going to be 17F here tonight and I need to buy propane so I can heat the shop. That new forced air bullet heater is amazing and I'm not sure why I didn't buy one years ago.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?

Nodoze posted:

I want an FD so bad :smith:

Watch what I post in the next few months and asses your wants and needs. Poor casual with no garage space working on a not running FD, what can go wrong?

How many does this make in AI with a left-hand-drive FD?

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

DefaultPeanut posted:

Watch what I post in the next few months and asses your wants and needs. Poor casual with no garage space working on a not running FD, what can go wrong?

How many does this make in AI with a left-hand-drive FD?

I know what I'd be getting into, but just like in my choice for women I am not intimated by crazy like I should be

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Quick! Shut Portland down, it snowed again!

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Put snow tires on one and find an empty parking lot

:getin:

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Wrar posted:

Put snow tires on one and find an empty parking lot

:getin:

Nothing wrong with that.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

the spyder posted:

Quick! Shut Portland down, it snowed again!

I think the funny part is Seattle had to lend Portland a bunch of snow plows. Now it just better not snow up here or we are extra screwed.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

MiniFoo posted:

Nothing wrong with that.

I approve this post.
I never stopped to take any pictures the few times mine was in snow, so far.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
Snowmageddon 2017

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Goon meet!

Thx again Spyder :D

PS: don't be jelly of my panelgap

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
It's UPDATE TIME! So, this post like many of mine will jump around as I work on what I can.

I've been slowly helping a friend with his R6. Turns out it had bad coil packs and dirty injectors. Here's a cool picture with my Flir One.

Poor FD, sitting outside waiting for love... Had to kick it out to work on the BMW.

The BMW curse strikes again! I don't want to admit this, seeing as I've never done it before, but I was backing the car up to re-align it on the lift and.... POP. Nailed the lift arm carrier. Worst part- AWD = 4 new tires... All because I heard a clunk in the front end that turned out to be an ice buildup...

At least it was nice out...

At this point, I'm beginning to think I'm cursed. With the wagon down, I took the F150 to work. Driving home, we had freezing rain. I somehow bumped the wipers and SNAP. Broke the 340k old bushings on the linkage. A day working from home later and Amazon prime next day... it was fixed and better than before. The worn bushings allowed the wipers to almost hit the A-pillar. Now it's nice and tight. Giggdy.

Since I was doing tires, I got the Ray's mounted up for the black FD. Oh and due to amazing friends, I used a wholesale account to buy Dunlop snow tires for the wagon. $330 to my door. I'll find some summer wheels and tires at some point.

Uhh... Small problem with the Ray's on the black FD. :(

A wild RX8 appears! With the success of the last RX8 I was guilt tripped to work on, a local fellow talked me into cleaning his SSV. It was stuck and causing a check engine code/no top end power. This is a quick job, maybe 3 hours if i'm lazy. The dealer wanted $1200 to replace it, despite it just being dirty.

So, after all of that I took it for a test drive and smelled coolant. The water pump and expansion tank were leaking.

Amazingly the dealer was NOT bullshitting him when they said the rear shocks were leaking. At 60k is is kindof surprising, but who knows.

Just like the RX8, the owner of this FC somehow got my attention. He bought a 1988 SE with 107k out of Seattle for $3500, only to find out the oil control rings were completely shot. It ran like crap when he brought it over. The coolant temp sensor was broken off and the cats were clogged. Sadly, it was only after I fixed those issues we discovered how bad seals really were. Not sure what he's going to do now. It drives just fine otherwise, so he took it home for now.

I've been needing to get this Red 94 R2 wrapped up. It was running like crap since getting it back together. Turns out the OMP was bad and throwing the ECU into limp mode. It looked like the OMP I installed was pretty badly corroded under the position switch. Otherwise it looked to be in good shape. I did not have time to install a replacement, so more on this later. Oh and I replaced the fuel pump resistor and map sensor (not pictured). At this point, I did not trust any of the electronics. Haha.

Did a quick repair on a 6 port manifold while waiting for parts. The owner cracked the boss by over tightening the M8 bolt and just wanted a quick cosmetic repair.

The owner of the 8 went ahead and had me replace the water pump. This only took maybe an hour? Super easy job.

Back to the red 94 R2. Runs like a champ now. Next up: Interior cleanup and title paperwork.
Pro-tip: If the sensor is a PITA to replace, but the plug is easy to access just temporarily install the "new" part to test if the error codes clear.

I saw this cute Nash in downtown. My uncle has a few of these, I really need to make it out to his place some day.

God drat it BMW. So, first all my dash lights came on driving home. This was after our snow/ice storm and some rough roads. At the same time I noticed a new sound under the hood. Guess the PO never reinstalled the fasteners for the radiator fan.... The lights magically went away, but this leads me to the second problem... My hatch glass has been opening randomly. I did all the recommended troubleshooting, expecting a bad button on the glass itself. This was not the case. Those who remember when I got this car can guess the actual cause... The car had sat for over a year under a pine tree, clogging every drain/water path. I thought I had fixed this, but it turns out in BMW's infinite wisdom that the small rubber seal on the cowl is the ONLY loving THING keeping water out of the passenger compartment. Mine was of course cracked and dried out. $68 later... it's been replaced. I did clean and test every relay, but it wasn't until after the cowl was replaced the issue went away. Can't wait for the next fun gremlin to pop up...

Ben brought over his Mom's Tribute, the wiper linkage had sheared off. I just quickly tack'd it back together. Note to self, if you clean an area with acetone, make sure its been washed down with water after- otherwise you will catch that small puddle of it hiding in the cowl on fire....

I don't even want to talk about what happened here. All I can say is I'm glad I bought a beater for parking in Portland.

With the rear brakes done on the wagon, I went ahead and ordered fronts, along with caliper rebuild kits off Rock Auto.

I've been ignoring my poor FD since the lift was installed. I tossed the trickle charger on it and added some non-e gas/stabil to the tank until I can start it again. But since I can't leave well enough alone, a ARC stock mount intercooler came up that I just had to have. Here's a comparison to stock. Oh and reminder, any time you're buying used parts, INSPECT and CLEAN! Check out the little nasty piece of plastic hiding in the core.

Now for my favorite bit- let's talk about bad decisions involving Croooober. Or why I'm stopping drinking and shopping online. I've been randomly searching Croooober for anything interesting and inexpensive. The results have been great. I've bought/resold quite a bit. It's not profitable, mainly due to me wanting to keep some of parts... Otherwise, I would be $1500 in the green right now. I do recommend giving it a try if you're looking for JDM parts. I've saved roughly 40-60% of stuff I would never find here. The shipping really, really can kill it though- I've spent nearly $3k on just shipping.

So far I've purchased OEM Bilsten struts from a Spirit R, Mazdaspeed Coilovers, Showa Bathurst OEM Coilovers, a Knighsports VMount core, and 17x8/8.5 factory RS/RZ wheels. Oh and like 3 Autoexe strut bars. Haha.

More Showa/Bathurst OEM 20mm coilovers.

This SARD BOV came with the V-Mount intercooler. I know nothing about it, except that Google reports they sell for $240 + shipping from Japan.

FD- Cusco Carbon Fiber rear bar.

the spyder fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Feb 28, 2017

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Tell me the Nash is your new project

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
An RX-8!?!

It's like I don't even know you anymore.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

blk posted:

Tell me the Nash is your new project

If it is, it's been sitting there a long time. If it's where I think it is, I've seen it from the blue line before, and that was in 2012...

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Rhyno posted:

An RX-8!?!

It's like I don't even know you anymore.

I'm more impressed that the rx8 had made it to 60k!

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

I'm the trifecta lights on the E46 dash. Such great cars to drive, such horrible cars to own.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

BloodBag posted:

I'm the trifecta lights on the E46 dash. Such great cars to drive, such horrible cars to own.

So true. What's worse is that it makes them even harder to get rid of.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
Is that stuff from Crooober/UP Garage? Are they easy to work it? I've been on the hunt for old 323 GTX (or even BF/BG Familia parts really) and have seen some that might be really cool though shipping 1/3 of the way across the world to get junk leave me a bit apprehensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

DJ Commie posted:

Is that stuff from Crooober/UP Garage? Are they easy to work it? I've been on the hunt for old 323 GTX (or even BF/BG Familia parts really) and have seen some that might be really cool though shipping 1/3 of the way across the world to get junk leave me a bit apprehensive.

Yes and they clearly mark if something is Junk. I've bought a TON of stuff, as shown in the updated part. Out of ~24 purchases, two were questionable. I ended up with a broken mirror (not their fault) and the Mazdapeed coils aren't quite up to snuff. I should have passed on them. Otherwise, every set of struts I have bought are in excellent shape. (Good rebound, clean, low KM).