Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I did get rid of his Kleptomania and kept him.

After all my starting luck, I got severely boned in my last run, though. Short dungeon so I didn't bring too many torches, turns out to explore 90% of rooms I had to backtrack a lot, so in the end my torch was gone. I had a brutal loving fight against a ghoul (the thing with skull toss) and two Rabieshounds (kept missing them...), one person resolve tested and lost already, the rest quite close, then only one more room to go and it's guarded by the loving Shambler :supaburn:.

I tried fighting it a bit but should have just ran immediately, got my rear end handed to me severely, then tried running after two more resolve tests (one virtue, woo?), got out of the fight alive somehow...and two people instantly get a heart attack. That was an amazing escalation of disaster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
Yo I just started recording the late game new content and man, gently caress the Squiffy Ghast. Red Hook has the stones to make us fight an AoE Finale Jester what.

Also, there's a high probabilty that tomorrow's update will be a day late because recording a Long Champion difficulty dungeon in the Cove without a dogman is a loving chore even with editing.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
New Update - Episode 48: Champion Difficulty

And now for the Champion mode video, and our first foray into the new content from the Radiant update. We see one of the new enemies, but don't quite see how lethal it is yet. Don't worry though, that will change quite swiftly next video.

Though honestly, I think Champion Mode could stand to be a bit toned down. Veteran mode felt like the perfect balance of alarming threats vs a sense of growth and also the ability to thwart those threats with proper knowledge and some creativity. Champion Mode however feels like you're dealing with a spiteful DM with how often specific characters get focused on for stress damage, how often stress damage appears, and how often we see enemy crits and "chance to target another person" procs appear. I won't deny that the challenge is back and that some people like it, but seeing things like six consecutive Howls from a ghoul or 3-5 consecutive crits feels off to me.

One benefit of doing Long Champion runs however are trinkets known as "Ancestor's Gear." These accessories are top of the line equipment for whatever stat they use, however they mostly come with a +stress penalty to offset how good they are. The one we get for this mission is rather ho-hum, +15 DODGE is okay but there are other accessories that offer less stress but other good benefits, and my general disposition to the coin-flip nature of Dodge puts me in somewhat of a biased state. There's definitely a disparity on the power rankings of Ancestor gear as well, with things like Ancestors Pen being highly sought after while the Ancestor's Moustache Cream is often disregarded. With how lucky we have been this LP though, I don't think I need Ancestor Gear however since I have Dismas' Head, Crescendo Box, Overture Box and a variety of custom defensive gear that is on par with the Ancestor Gear without the stress penalties. Its a strange state of affairs.

On the note of accessories, Kickstarter accessories! I added a few that have some mechanics that I wish were in the game, like penalties on camping or +/-XP Gain, but there's so loving many that I don't know what to pick. I also tried to actively avoid the good stuff such as Boots of Much Kicking or the Caretaker's Cloak because they offer things I already have. If there are any backer accessories that have interesting mechanics and I overlooked let me know, I definitely want a more interesting game experience in general and I feel like the ideas from the kickstarter accessories are just what I need.

Finally, Finale Jester. Its super good for Champion Mode to offset all the stress damage while still maintaining crazy damage. I almost feel he's mandatory now.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Highwang posted:

Finally, Finale Jester. Its super good for Champion Mode to offset all the stress damage while still maintaining crazy damage. I almost feel he's mandatory now.
That one guy in the Games thread would have an aneurysm if they read that, given the massive hate-boner they seem to have for the Jester. :v:

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

Highwang posted:

New Update - Episode 48: Champion Difficulty

One benefit of doing Long Champion runs however are trinkets known as "Ancestor's Gear." These accessories are top of the line equipment for whatever stat they use, however they mostly come with a +stress penalty to offset how good they are. The one we get for this mission is rather ho-hum, +15 DODGE is okay but there are other accessories that offer less stress but other good benefits, and my general disposition to the coin-flip nature of Dodge puts me in somewhat of a biased state.

That coat is my favorite thing to put on a Houndmaster with another +dodge gear. He might not dodge everything, but if every attack is a coin flip to hit him then he's avoiding enough damage to make it worthwhile.

I'm fairly certain the AI of monsters in Champion dungeons gets meaner. Enemies will start to hone in on weakened or close to afflicted members of your party more often, so cover moves become even more useful.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Mzbundifund posted:

Isn't he guaranteed to start with Warrior of Light though? That's a really nice perk if you aren't doing some sort of all-dark challenge run. Clearing klepto isn't a big deal and he can sit on the bench until the sanitarium opens.

Here, life is cheap and real estate is expensive.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Holy Lance used to be a lot more powerful. I think it could hit ranks 2-3-4. Hence the early access Crusader Stack being an amazing team.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

At the risk of sounding really dumb, are the Kickstarter trinkets only accessible to people who helped kickstart the game, or are they trinkets suggested by Kickstarter backers and are now accessible with the update? If the latter is the case, how does one obtain them?

Samovar fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Feb 19, 2017

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Samovar posted:

At the risk of sounding really dumb, are the Kickstarter trinkets only accessible to people who helped kickstart the game, or are they trinkets suggested by Kickstarter backers and are now accessible with the update? If the latter is the case, how does one obtain them?

They were available before the update. You just have to type in the trinket's name and it unlocks.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Samovar posted:

Yeah. In all technical senses it's cheating but it's also nice to bring all these cool kickstarter ideas to light. They bring a neat variety to the game that you don't see typically in a regular game.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
The sped up ancestor reminds me of the Worms voices :v:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

With the Radiant Mode update, I've gotten pretty far in the game. Just finished up a couple veteran missions and saw that the champion level Necromancer was available so I figured, hey, if you have some 5s and 6s that means you can just waltz in and kill the Necromancer easy peasy right?

No. No you loving cannot.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Pollyanna posted:

With the Radiant Mode update, I've gotten pretty far in the game. Just finished up a couple veteran missions and saw that the champion level Necromancer was available so I figured, hey, if you have some 5s and 6s that means you can just waltz in and kill the Necromancer easy peasy right?

No. No you loving cannot.

Welcome to the bone zone.

Also, gear/skill level is more pertinent than character level. I wouldn't attempt Champion dungeons unless I was at max skill and at least lvl 4 gear.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Highwang posted:

Welcome to the bone zone.

Also, gear/skill level is more pertinent than character level. I wouldn't attempt Champion dungeons unless I was at max skill and at least lvl 4 gear.

Yeah, I learned that the hard way. :downs: The Champion missions offer lots more heirlooms and stuff though, and I need lots of those to get my upgrades. Guess I'll have to do it the slow way.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Also the Shrieker is an absolute fucker.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
New Update - Episode 49: The Beguiling Siren

Its the third Siren fight! Its the same as the last fights~

Also we see the Squiffy Ghast in action with its new status effect: Horror! 5 Stress/Turn for 4 turns, completely incurable. If his AI kicks it off as well, you'll be getting this consistently unless you kill Squiffy ASAP. This is why I'm thinking Jester is mandatory for most champion areas now, at the very least for the Cove since Stress damage is now the thing that will determine life or death.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Yikes. That A.O.E. is plain mean.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

I have to say, the lines that occur when a person is afflicted or virtuous are probably some of my favorite, especially the one that occurred in this video when the Jester became Vigorous.

"If your foul reek hasn't killed me yet, nothing will," is oddly fitting when the cause of him becoming Vigorous is a ghoul.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
I just started reading Lovecraft's Lurker on the Threshold. It's the first time I've read him since playing DD, and it's really amazing just how well the language in DD mirrors that used by Lovecraft.

Also, I can't help hear the Ancestor's voice from DD in my head as I read :)

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
FYI: "Under the blood moon, I lured my wide-eyed prey to the pier's edge. Before she could properly appreciate her position, I clamped down a manacle, chaining her to the leering idol."

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Highwang posted:

New Update - Episode 49: The Beguiling Siren

Its the third Siren fight! Its the same as the last fights~

Also we see the Squiffy Ghast in action with its new status effect: Horror! 5 Stress/Turn for 4 turns, completely incurable. If his AI kicks it off as well, you'll be getting this consistently unless you kill Squiffy ASAP. This is why I'm thinking Jester is mandatory for most champion areas now, at the very least for the Cove since Stress damage is now the thing that will determine life or death.

Why not bring a Plague Doctor? Blight wrecks everything in the Cove, prot or no. At least, I definitely don't want to go into the Cove without a PD and a bunch of bandages. The lack of bleed vulnerability really screws you over.

Death Dealer
Jul 25, 2006

PotatoManJack posted:

I just started reading Lovecraft's Lurker on the Threshold. It's the first time I've read him since playing DD, and it's really amazing just how well the language in DD mirrors that used by Lovecraft.

Also, I can't help hear the Ancestor's voice from DD in my head as I read :)

To be fair, if you really wanted to hear it in the Ancestor's voice, Wayne June has narrated 6 volumes of Lovecraft's work. It is every bit as amazing as you would expect.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Death Dealer posted:

To be fair, if you really wanted to hear it in the Ancestor's voice, Wayne June has narrated 6 volumes of Lovecraft's work. It is every bit as amazing as you would expect.

If you're born with the ability to speak like that, you owe it to the world to read menacing tomes of squamous and squalid happenings.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
His voice is simply amazing yeah.

Nalesh fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Feb 21, 2017

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009

Death Dealer posted:

Holy poo poo - where can I find this? I need to listen to this.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

PotatoManJack posted:

Holy poo poo - where can I find this? I need to listen to this.

Here's where you can buy an audiobook, and here's a free one-shot story you can listen to on youtube.

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012
You're not the only one who made the chipmunk comparison, Highwang. Last video I kept waiting for someone to scream "AAALLLLVVVVVIIIIIINNNNNNN!"

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Mzbundifund posted:

Here's where you can buy an audiobook, and here's a free one-shot story you can listen to on youtube.

Man, even when he's not doing the exact Narrator voice Wayne June has an incredible voice for reading.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009

Mzbundifund posted:

I've been listening to this in the background of DD (with DD's volume off) and it's just incredible. Sometimes things just line up so well that it's a bit creepy.

I think I'm going to buy the audiobook just to support Wayne June just because.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
New Psuedo-Update - Bonus Episode 2: Shriekers, Shamblers, and Radiant Mode thoughts.

Working to get Episode 50 commentators all together for a special event, but I ran into a bunch of neat things during my Radiant Mode testing that I'm afraid might not make it into the main LP. Hence why today is a bonus update. I also detail my thoughts on Radiant Mode in general, and all the changes it brought to the game.

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

Edit: nvm

Mr.Morgenstern fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Feb 25, 2017

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Hell yeah, FM music :dance:

I ran into the "oh hey I should be able to waltz right into Champion mode Necromancer right lol" thing and you really can't. You need maxed out skills and gear to survive in there first. I still don't find quirks to be the be-all-end-all to surviving in Champion dungeons, but they do help a good bit.

Shrieker's a bastard and I dunno if I like it. Definitely looking forward to the next episode, though :getin:

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
So is Shrieker grindable at all? That was a LOT of money you made.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Cassa posted:

So is Shrieker grindable at all? That was a LOT of money you made.

Hard to say. Definetly seems like chance unless you want to throw away a full party with good accessories consistently

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
You could try throwing away a party of nobodies with poo poo gear, assuming there is no lower boundary for the Shrieker to take your stuff.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016
No AoE means dodge tanking should work well to survive the Shrieker.

Is there any real reason to kill the Shrieker, aside from avoiding 50-70 stress to the party? I haven't tested this new content yet. I'm waiting for the Court DLC to restart.

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012
No comment on how they did a 180 on removing random hunger procs? I admire your self-restraint, Highwang.

Anybody know why they cancelled that? If they already had it coded then why not at least leave it in as an optional feature?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Halser posted:

No AoE means dodge tanking should work well to survive the Shrieker.

Is there any real reason to kill the Shrieker, aside from avoiding 50-70 stress to the party? I haven't tested this new content yet. I'm waiting for the Court DLC to restart.

I mean, if you let him live he will come back and steal more of your poo poo because he's an rear end in a top hat bird, and he might take your good accessories forcing you to go fight him again.

Kurvi Tasch
Oct 13, 2012

Thats von Derp for you!

Grapplejack posted:

I mean, if you let him live he will come back and steal more of your poo poo because he's an rear end in a top hat bird, and he might take your good accessories forcing you to go fight him again.

Considering how enormously profitable that fight is, it might not be a bad idea to let it live.

Anyways, I'm not sure the shrieker stays permanently dead. I've killed him once, but he showed up again, thought that may have been triggered by the party-wipe mechanics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

DGM_2 posted:

No comment on how they did a 180 on removing random hunger procs? I admire your self-restraint, Highwang.

Anybody know why they cancelled that? If they already had it coded then why not at least leave it in as an optional feature?
Someone probably complained that the random hunger procs are part of what makes the game hard and everyone should just get good, and the developers mistakenly thought that opinion was shared by the community

• Locked thread