Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

vdate posted:

I'm afraid I don't get it.

Squiffy is an archaic term for drunk IIRC

I dont get the joke about it beyond 'hah, drunk zombie'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

There's nothing to get. It's just such a daft name.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
Skivers can get hosed. Little nerds are dodgy, have enough prot to annoy you, and you can't even frontrow them without regretting the decision. Their debuff is gnarly as hell (-8 Speed and Dodge) Really like the changes to costs and a mean person we haven't met yet.

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

Highwang posted:

[Hysterical laughter echoes in the distance]

I dread the day when Highwang finally gets a Bloodthirst Ring and starts referring to it as "my precious."

Like Zaphod said, "Put your analyst on danger money, baby, now."

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
New Update - Episode 47: Why are cannons so boring?

Today we fight the Brigand 12 Pounder, and we get really bored in the process due to how long it takes to get there and fight it. I talk at length about the bosses and their mechanical design in this episode, but really its just 35+ minutes of us bullshitting and actively mocking the Ancestor for being a dumbass.

Also, since everyone's aware, this LP's heading in a worrying direction because Radiant Mode's out! That means there are four new midbosses that I will be running into blind during the LP and I have no idea how to deal with them. I've heard worrying things about enemies such as the Virago and Squiffy Ghast, but there will certainly be some intrigue now in this LP. There's also been balance changes in terms of the money economy for the late-game, which is kind of a lucky thing on timing since we are now officially in the late-game. Unfortunately the food changes are only in radiant mode, so I will still be carrying 20 supplies every run since i'm a paranoid rear end in a top hat.

Next episode will probably be a "bonus" one since I did a stream for Radiant Mode recently. I honestly don't think it shows off absolutely everything about the mode, but we do see how vastly different things become and how lethal the game can get when it decides to stop loving around. Also I show off the kickstarter rewards in that video, and I might have to grab the ones from recruits here into the main game as well since they're pretty good.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Still, I like the idea that in this gothic-themed Cthulu-inspired game with all its bizarre and eldritch enemies, a simple cannon crewed by ordinary humans qualifies as a boss.

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012
Shame we couldn't kill all the brigands and take the cannon for ourselves.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I have to admire their persistence, if not their intelligence. Matchmen #1-9 just took a dagger to the throat, Matchman #10, you're up!

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

How the gently caress have you not had The Big Town Event yet?? All your dudes are high level, it should have triggered by now...

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Grapplejack posted:

How the gently caress have you not had The Big Town Event yet?? All your dudes are high level, it should have triggered by now...

The chance for that starts at 0% up until week 40, then 1%(?) for each subsequent week afterward.

I too have been waiting for that. Not as eager before, but now that I'm kitted up I'm not too worried.

Highwang fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Feb 11, 2017

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

You have a bunch of max level dudes, is there a reason you haven't probed the Darkest Dungeon?

Iron Chitlin
Sep 3, 2011

I need to use the bathroom!

Veloxyll posted:

You have a bunch of max level dudes, is there a reason you haven't probed the Darkest Dungeon?

He wants to clear all the bosses first and use the Darkest Dungeon missions as a finale.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Awww yeah Earthbound Remix for the replay :dance:

Also the Inchoate Flesh is weak against DoT's. Especially multi-rank ones: Hound's Harry adds up to 4-12 bleed a round, Plague Doctor's Plague Grenade'll do 8-12 blight, Jester's Harvest will do 4-8. That's damage that mostly ignores it's whole 'hit the heart' gimmick (although the Heart also has the lowest resistances.)

That fits more into the theme of 'stuff you can do that ignores the bosses gimmick' like the others that were mentioned.

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

Mzbundifund posted:

I have to admire their persistence, if not their intelligence. Matchmen #1-9 just took a dagger to the throat, Matchman #10, you're up!

Some employers are just that good at motivating people: https://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/02/20

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Highwang posted:

[Hysterical laughter echoes in the distance]
I started a new Radiant game.
This is what happened in the first dungeon.

Red Hook lied, we'll always need food.

Edit: I'm going to guess it's because it's the tutorial dungeon despite having disabled the tutorials, but I was not happy in the slightest.
No, it's not because of the tutorial :sigh:

(same dungeon)

Edit 2:
third in a row

radintorov fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Feb 11, 2017

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

^^^^^^^^

(there's treasures of heirlooms hidden in those artefacts :effort:)

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

radintorov posted:

Edit: I'm going to guess it's because it's the tutorial dungeon despite having disabled the tutorials, but I was not happy in the slightest.

(same dungeon)

Edit 2:
third in a row

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

So we can be guaranteed you'll be bringing 4 stacks now, for no reason then?

:kheldragar:

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
I imagine the Ancestor would push a do not push button and still try to justify it.

I saw the big red button button, tempting me despite the repeated warnings of what it would unleash upon our world. My curiosity outweighed my foolishness for which we all paid.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

radintorov posted:

(same dungeon)

Edit 2:
third in a row

There also seems to be a fun bug where shoveling an obstacle out of the way doesn't always remove the prompt, and you are stopped and have to spend another shovel to actually go forward. Soo.. yeah, bring extra shovels.

So far it has done this to me only in the weald. So maybe it is zone specific?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Oh, when people die in combat and your forced to retreat, you don't get the chance to get their dropped equipment back.

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte
The Ague. :allbuttons:

gently caress me, right? (I'm Fanzay, btw)

I'm a natural-born fuckup!

Condoleezza Nice! fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Feb 11, 2017

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Yeah, the "no random health checks" thing seems to be untrue, at least for Radiant mode. You still need fat stacks. Given that you can still stack food to 12 though, it doesn't seem like it was implemented...

edit: Yeah, looking through the changelogs, it looks like that just wasn't actually added. Looks like the food changes aren't happening.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Pollyanna posted:

Yeah, the "no random health checks" thing seems to be untrue, at least for Radiant mode. You still need fat stacks. Given that you can still stack food to 12 though, it doesn't seem like it was implemented...

edit: Yeah, looking through the changelogs, it looks like that just wasn't actually added. Looks like the food changes aren't happening.

Yeah I can confirm, Radiant mode still has random food procs. Maybe something got fricked in the code?

EDIT: Prices & Stack size has also been retrofitted to Radiant mode. Not game breaking, but somewhat sad.

Highwang fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Feb 12, 2017

Reinbach
Jan 28, 2009

Mooseontheloose posted:

I imagine the Ancestor would push a do not push button and still try to justify it.

I saw the big red button button, tempting me despite the repeated warnings of what it would unleash upon our world. My curiosity outweighed my foolishness for which we all paid.

Did anyone else read this in the voice?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Reinbach posted:

now I did. On the topic of Ancestral shenanigans - I posit that the jerkface was equal parts incompetent that born-into-wealthy decadence is so good at producing, and malevolently sadistic once the evil started fully influencing him, at which point he started to work to get his experiments blow up in (other) people's faces while keeping the thinnest possible knife edge of plausible deniability re:the warrens & hag.

I love the descent into insanity we go on with him as we kill bosses and discover their backstory. That and the voice clips in the Darkest Dungeon itself are gloriously hammy.

double nine fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Feb 12, 2017

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

Reinbach posted:

Did anyone not? It didn't even occur to me that someone wouldn't until you asked the question.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Highwang posted:

Yeah I can confirm, Radiant mode still has random food procs. Maybe something got fricked in the code?

EDIT: Prices & Stack size has also been retrofitted to Radiant mode. Not game breaking, but somewhat sad.
A comment on the Steam forums claimed it was a change made following feedback from the playerbase.
I really hope it's false and just something that was postponed for technical issues because I am getting tired of games changing things in response to people whose idea of "game design" can be summed up as "make it worse". :sigh:

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
By the way, there's a new boss lurking around. Let's see if you can find it.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

grandalt posted:

By the way, there's a new boss lurking around. Let's see if you can find it.

I'd hit that.

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte

radintorov posted:

A comment on the Steam forums claimed it was a change made following feedback from the playerbase.
I really hope it's false and just something that was postponed for technical issues because I am getting tired of games changing things in response to people whose idea of "game design" can be summed up as "make it worse". :sigh:

AKA the Elite: Dangerous school of game design

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat
Hey Highwang, since you mentioned it in the last video...

Full res image also available.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I got the game because it was (is?) cheap to celebrate Radiant Mode. I was interested for a while now but price drop as well as Radiant Mode itself cinched it. It's bullshit that they went back on hunger procs, I fully agree that they're stupid. Was looking forward to not having to deal with them, then was surprised, then went here and read disappointment :negative:.

But I won't complain, my very first non-tutorial run netted me the heal head :cooldog:. Also immediately a Shambler Altar. I should have done it and then restarted the game I guess???

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Simply Simon posted:

I got the game because it was (is?) cheap to celebrate Radiant Mode. I was interested for a while now but price drop as well as Radiant Mode itself cinched it. It's bullshit that they went back on hunger procs, I fully agree that they're stupid. Was looking forward to not having to deal with them, then was surprised, then went here and read disappointment :negative:.

But I won't complain, my very first non-tutorial run netted me the heal head :cooldog:. Also immediately a Shambler Altar. I should have done it and then restarted the game I guess???

Honestly feels like like the food procs have increased. Part of that is probably due to just confirmation bias.

I do really like that the map is no longer 4x hall - room, and varies between 2-6 and also shifts up/down etc.

You woulda prob died, from not having any positioning abilities.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Simply Simon posted:

There is zero reason to ever restart the game unless you're playing on Stygian difficulty and have a time limit. Even if 100% of your heroes all died somehow, new heroes are free and hamlet upgrades are permanent. As long as you've upgraded even one hamlet building once, restarting the game just puts you back into a weaker position where you have all level 0 heroes and no building upgrades.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
New "Update" - Bonus Video: Radiant Mode testing & Kickstarter Accessories

Today's update is a bit different in that its not really an update per-se. I recently did a stream testing out the new Radiant Mode, and while it doesn't go into the full nitty-gritty of things we certainly see some of the changes in effect as dungeons go by slightly quicker and getting to bosses in terms of progress is somewhat faster. I've yet to test out other things, such as lvl 4 heroes helping out with amateur missions or getting the lvl 4 hero upgrade on the stage coach, but this definitely adds a bunch that makes Darkest Dungeon more approachable to those that did not like the grind of things in the long-run. The new Stagecoach "deck stacking" option, in retrospect, would've been great for the LP since you can get all the heroes for demonstration way earlier in some instances as well. This update is pretty drat fascinating overall, and I also dread what approaches for the LP file since a lot of that content looks awful.

On the kickstarter accessories, a lot of them are surprisingly well-balanced. Naturally there are a few outliers that are comically overpowered (lol 4 buffs and only downside is -deathblow resist vs beasts), but many accessories are actually halfway decent and promote unique ways of playing the game without taking over the role of say Junia's Head/Cresendo Box/Blasphemous Vial. I know the two accessories that the thread has provided are really good, but I'm also partial to accessories like the Headhunter's Herbs, Winston's Revenge and "The Boots of Much Kicking." I kind of want to bring some to the main LP file, but I'm curious what you all think about it.

Actual updates to continue this friday. I'm totally not stalling because having 3 running LPs was a mistake and I'm deathly afraid of the new Radiant Mode content.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Mzbundifund posted:

There is zero reason to ever restart the game unless you're playing on Stygian difficulty and have a time limit. Even if 100% of your heroes all died somehow, new heroes are free and hamlet upgrades are permanent. As long as you've upgraded even one hamlet building once, restarting the game just puts you back into a weaker position where you have all level 0 heroes and no building upgrades.
I don't think I had ANY upgrades yet. It was really early :D.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer

Highwang posted:

On the kickstarter accessories, a lot of them are surprisingly well-balanced. Naturally there are a few outliers that are comically overpowered (lol 4 buffs and only downside is -deathblow resist vs beasts), but many accessories are actually halfway decent and promote unique ways of playing the game without taking over the role of say Junia's Head/Cresendo Box/Blasphemous Vial. I know the two accessories that the thread has provided are really good, but I'm also partial to accessories like the Headhunter's Herbs, Winston's Revenge and "The Boots of Much Kicking." I kind of want to bring some to the main LP file, but I'm curious what you all think about it.

Headhunter's Herbs is drat good, without being totally broken or cheaty. If you start using trinkets, you should try showing off the better ones first, and not the ones that have negatives that never apply.

Oooh, and I see you had my kickstarter backer stuff, Cinos and the Scion's Resolve, out there! And used them both - the Resolve on Sanagi, unless I miss my guess. If you continue testing out things like this, you should really look at testing the 2x HWMs and the PBS spam method using (kickstarter, if necessary) trinkets that gives +Speed and/or -Speed to ensure one nearly always goes before the other. Obviously, if there's +damage on the trinkets, too, that just helps wreck whatever's up front all the faster.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Simply Simon posted:

I don't think I had ANY upgrades yet. It was really early :D.

Killing off that kleptomaniac Reynauld is a net positive, HTH.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Sloober posted:

Killing off that kleptomaniac Reynauld is a net positive, HTH.

Isn't he guaranteed to start with Warrior of Light though? That's a really nice perk if you aren't doing some sort of all-dark challenge run. Clearing klepto isn't a big deal and he can sit on the bench until the sanitarium opens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Mzbundifund posted:

Isn't he guaranteed to start with Warrior of Light though? That's a really nice perk if you aren't doing some sort of all-dark challenge run. Clearing klepto isn't a big deal and he can sit on the bench until the sanitarium opens.

Worthless

All dark all the time

• Locked thread